PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash Wednesday 27th March 2013 ***

doppler
03-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Good evening everyone.

Cool and sunny here. About to go out and empty the scraps into the compost pile.

BBL :wave:

OK, done that and purposely swivelled my eyes away from the fallow vegetable beds. That shall wait until the weekend. Had a sneak peek at the secret forest too and that is truly going to be mown this weekend too. I'm almost ashamed.:rolleyes:

Just realised that Roger will have to do the supermarket on Saturday. Everything is closed on Good Friday and I think I am Gallery sitting on the Saturday? it's a mad social whirl :lol:

Best go and check

BBL again

Back again. It's Sunday so Roger is saved. :thumbsup:

Hi Geoff. Sounds like totally miserable weather. ((()))

shipbroker
03-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Cool and snowing this side!

geoff

Yorky
03-27-2013, 03:43 AM
Good morning all. Still cold here - 0C but mercifully dry.

Off to Southport to collect a new coat for Ruth from Debenhams and cash in a 25 Sainsbury's voucher for joining BT broadband. We'll probably have lunch at the Curzon Grill on Lord Street.

Shocking scenes on TV of farmers extricating sheep both alive and dead from the huge snow drifts in Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. Some drifts are up to 18 feet deep - in March :eek:

Starting to think about next month's challenge.

Doug

Lulu
03-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Evening all:wave:

Lovely warm day, got to 27C. The forecasters say we might get rain on Sunday...:crossfingers:

Yes I saw that on the news too Doug, just awful!

Better go and feed the brats and put them to bed, then I will follow, not to the same place though (theirs is on a pillow on top of the dryer in the laundry). I don't think we'd all fit lol

:wave:

dlwilliams48
03-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Right at the freezing temperature here this morning, but supposed to gradually warm up. Weekend ahead looks OK, temps in the low 70's.

I am hoping to attend the local Art Guild meeting tomorrow night because there is going to be a WC artist showing a demonstration. The only time I have seen WC actually being used, other than the few classes I have attended, is on videos. It might be interesting to see a live demonstration. I'm not a member of the "guild", but the meetings are open.

Still have not sold the old camping trailer, and really would like to. We did have someone stop and look yesterday, so hopefully that will work out. Also hoping to use the new one the second weekend in April. I'd like to get in one more weekend trip before I tow it 1000 miles out to Texas in May.

laudesan
03-27-2013, 06:42 AM
I just walked in the door. :wave:

I have just spent a wonderful 3 hours watching Elise and her partners practice her acrobatic gymnastics routine, for their up and coming competition, in a few weeks time. It was fun. They are quite good.. I took photos and a video for her, can't show them online, as there are other children involved. Sorry.

supper time......... and it is 8.30pm already..

Ellen in Ont
03-27-2013, 07:35 AM
:wave: everyone,
I've been too busy to post lately but thinking of you all while reading the wash in bits and pieces. I spent a lot of time working on taxes, working nightshift, running errands, babysitting etc. Today I am helping my son at the restaurant (doing a deep cleaning as the owners have decided to try and sell the business), finally framing the painting I bought from Ona (I had to wait for the store to get in the length of frame piece I needed), and possibly get back to painting. I am back to nightshift tomorrow and Friday, and having a big family supper on Sunday, so this will be the only chance to paint for awhile again. There is always the taxes sitting looking at me as well. :rolleyes: This evening Brian and I are going to watch Les Miserable (we bought the movie yesterday). There just aren't enough hours in the day. :D Oh, I also have to prepare for a workshop I am teaching out of town the end of next month.

It's still below freezing most days here but yesterday it was just warm enough to have water running down the street and the sun was shining. Our first glimpse of spring. :thumbsup: The snow is still waist deep in the yard so gardening is still a long way away.:rolleyes:

I can't remember enough to reply to everyone but loved reading about all your ups and down and cheered, commiserated, or sent cyber hugs as needed.

I'm off for a bite of breakfast and then start my day. Have as good a day as possible and do something just for the fun of it every day.

olliewood0702
03-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Happy HUMP DAY!

We're at the hump on our way to the weekend. And a Holiday one at that!

The sun is shining brightly and I see only blue skies above. A slight breeze but FREEZING! Oh where or WHERE is Spring? It's supposed to be a nice mild weekend but then turn cold again next week.

I have to finalize my menu for Sunday so that I can get my grocery shopping done early. The stores will be busy from now through the Holiday.I might have to buy a chocky egg or bunny....one or two....or three...:evil:

Larry is going to start our heirloom tomato plants and we'll put them under the flourescent light. It's that time of year. This year we will have to plant our garden late again because of our trip. We always plant the weekend after Memorial Day. Last year we planted late and it did just fine.

I hope you all have a great day!

BBL:wave: :heart:

Strawberry Wine
03-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Good Day Washers !!!

Mix of cloud and sun with the temperature just above freezing. The snow is melting slowly, which is the way we like it. I have daffodils and tulips poking their heads above ground and one purple crocus was blooming yesterday.

Darla, I think we have been spoiled with several early springs in recent years. Mid April is generallly when Spring arrives and sometime mid to late April it decides to stay. You are probably a week or so earlier. We have had many sun filled days over the past two weeks so I am content for the moment.

I plant my tomatoes last week of May or 1st week of June and have found over the years they generally do much better because the nights stay warmer. Pepper plants don't go in the ground until the 2nd week of June.

Ellen, what will happen to your son's restaurant busines if the building sells ? Hope you can paint some and rest lots between now and Easter Sunday.

Don, 70 F sounds balmy. I am not sure but I don't think you have a Kijji site in the U.S.? We saw our camper on their site and Char bought both of theirs seeing them on the site. I just checked and I believe that Kijji is owned by E-Bay and no US site. But you may have something else similar.

:wave: to all BBL

Cheers,

Gail

LynnM
03-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi all! rushing out the door, gallery sitting today and tomorrow, our admin person is on a well deserved holiday.....BBL

Brindle
03-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Good morning! It is a bright, sunny blue sky day in Virginia and it might even get tolerably warm this afternoon! I feel sorry for those poor people in dealing with all that snow in Ireland. Ugh.

For some reason I slept 10 hours last night and had a bunch of crazy detailed "story" dreams too...all focused on frustration and being unable to accomplish something. I don't know what that was all about...I had a ridiculously productive day yesterday and in the last week or two have cleared quite a few "big ticket" items off my to-do list...taxes, portraits, some house projects, etc. Maybe the dreams are just some kind of "aftershock" haha.

I'm REALLY happy to have finally found a venue for the Iain Stewart workshop I am organizing here in VA in October. It will be in the Washington VA fire dept's hall which is large and full of light. A perfect spot...and just in time, too because I was beginning to despair of finding a decent, affordable facility. For any of you who might be interested in attending, PM me for details. I'm organizing the workshop because I admire his work and want to paint with him; by organizing, I get to attend free and don't have to travel to do so. It's a good trade-off.

I'm working today on "homework" required to prep for the Sue Archer workshop at Kanuga in early April. Really looking forward to that!

Hoping to get in a long walk at lunchtime with my dog.

Have a great day, everyone!

NancyR
03-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Good morning to everyone. I woke up an hour earlier than usual and could not go to sleep. So, I actually ate breakfast at home instead of at my desk. I only had 6 hours sleep, but it was in one long stretch.

My flowers survived the freezes, and I can put them back into the sunshine after work today. I can also plant the wildflower and cottage garden flower seeds and see what will bloom.

Funeral to attend in the afternoon and then on the way home I can visit my mom.

Meds have kicked in and I am feeling much better today. Sunday my oldest daughter turns 45, now I feel old. We are both on strike and do not want to cook, so we will go out to celebrate her birthday and Easter. I am looking forward to that.

Everyone have a great day and hugs to all in need.

CharM
03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Good Morning! Our forecast has changed, blessedly, from snow to rain... I don't always welcome the rain, but it won't have to be shovelled or scraped from surfaces! :) Maybe Spring really is on the way. We live in hope.

Is Australia burning?

While teaching yesterday afternoon, I put a loaf of bread in the oven... Spelt, Red Fife and Kamut... Cruel, but oh so good...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2013/20514-Bread.JPG

Magoo stopped in last evening for coffee... and he found lots of things to eat while foraging through the fridge... :lol: He (finally) downloaded the tax receipts associated with his tuition so we can finish working on our taxes. Canadians don't have to file till the end of April, but it's nice to get things done well in advance.

Class at the Cultural Centre this afternoon... Ted's going to drop me off there and then run his errands while we're in town.

Annie, your Gallery will be open on Easter Sunday? Nothing here will be open. Oddly, Monday which is really Easter will be a normal work day.

Hi Geoff... I guess there'll be no golf for you today...

Oh, Doug! :crying:

G'nite Lulu... Our three have been sharing the bed with us... it's more than a little crowded! :cat:

Don, have you tried placing an ad for your trailer on Craig's List? In Ontario, we use Kijiji which is a free site.

Nice way to spend the afternoon, JJ!

Slow down, Ellen... slow down... Will your Son stay with the restaurant regardless of ownership? I hope his job isn't in jeopardy.

HHD Darla! I have to do the same as I've decided to have Easter dinner here... my Mother's Residence is in lockdown because of the Norovirus there... No one is allowed to leave their rooms! :eek:

Hi Gail! I just suggested the same thing! Your painting is drop dead gorgeous! I just love the effect of the acrylic background. *nodding* Both peppers and tomatoes love the heat. Celery not so much... We're trying to figure out how to produce something other than wood! :)

:wave: Lynn!

Hi Brindle... after that full day, you needed the rest! Your workshop sounds terrific.

Nancy, sometimes you deserve to just go out and enjoy your Holiday Dinner! No cooking... no cleanup... Enjoy!

Kay, I'd love to be able to touchy feely your beautiful jewelry in person!

Has anyone heard from Carolynn? If you're lurking, I hope that all is well...

I'd better get my things packed up for this afternoon's Class... I hope you all enjoy the best possible day!

kaypainter
03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
For those who did not see my late post yesterday I shall re-post.

Well I submitted 4 pieces. The two pendants and the cuff you saw before plus I finished this one to add to them:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2013/130068-Moonscape_Pendant_3.jpeg

I call this my Moonscape Pendant. :lol: :lol: I wonder why?

And for those who've asked about the web series -- nothing's been shot yet. For those who do Facebook you could like us ( and who doesn't need to be liked!) over there which may help get things off the ground (so to speak :lol: ):
https://www.facebook.com/moonbound24

I'm up early and the cats taken care of because I am going with friends downtown to FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) (http://fidmmuseum.org/exhibitions/current/) to see an exhibit of the costumes by the Oscar nominated costume designers (plus other films).

Forgot to say that I went to a lovely choral concert Sunday night. They did an all Mozart concert. I went because they were doing a rarely done piece -- the Litany in E minor -- very beautiful. I shall have to look for a recording of that as I know I don't have it.

Char I want to touchy feely that loaf of bread. Actually I'd rather just eat it.

They did not show that on the NBC news last night Doug. That's horrible.

Don there's a Kijiji Georgia (http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/state/georgia). You could try that.

Lulu you mean they don't migrate to your bed during the night?

Please slow down Ellen.

Carole that's clever of you. Of course organizing the workshop was probably quite a bit of work. Hope you can relax and enjoy it.

Okay gotta get going here. Wishing everyone a great day and HAWLTAIN

Kay

Wind Song
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Everyone:wave:

Kay your jewellery is gorgeous!

Char your bread looks amazing!

Uschi I will put a pic of the oil up when it is finished probably in about 4 weeks.

Gail I hope your body is starting to feel a bit better after your workshop.

My son is on his way for a visit from Toronto so I had better get a wiggle on.

Have a great one!

LynnM
03-27-2013, 12:47 PM
That's a stunning piece of jewellery, Kay!!! my favourite so far :)

Of course, Gail, it was a TR6 that I admired so many years ago. I can endorse Kijiji too, I have sold many things there, and am just about to post my old sewing maching, someone can get some use out of it for occasional plain sewing.

Yum, Char, that is a beautiful loaf, makes me want to rush home and make some spelt bread, I bought the flour last week, and like the flavour so far in gravy and my granola bars. Have been eating Dimpflmeier rye bread lately, has no yeast and is whole grain, but it would be nice to have a change.

Would love to see what your wildflour and cottage garden mixes produce, Nancy, once they are up.....would make some lovely paintings, I am sure.

Quiet day in the gallery except for the very loud drill in the construction area, I'm wearing ear plugs! Very exciting, the walls are finally going up on the atrium at the back which will give us the mandated accessibility with street level entry and proper elevator, and some new exhibition space.

Ellen in Ont
03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm home after 4 hours of hard cleaning at my son's restaurant. My hands are red and a bit raw.

Gail and Char - the people who have looked at it so far want to buy the restaurant with him being part of the deal (he is the manager and chef). He told them everything is negotiable, but he is tired of cooking for a living (he has been doing it since high school) and would like a change. There are no full time jobs as a fireman right now so he is looking at other options.

I am going to sit down with a book and a coffee for awhile then see what I feel like doing.

Flattwo
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Hi to All

Cold cold wind here , we're dreaming of a white Easter, just like the one we never had!

Susanne (Scotslass) posted a link a couple of weeks ago re the RSW (Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour) exhibition, http://www.rswgallery.org.uk/ I stated that basically they were an elitist bunch, anyway I emailed them, now the secretary wants me to submit paintings in October for their Winter Exhibition :eek:

Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay is the current Royal Patron.

Speak Later

Henry

shipbroker
03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Evening all......

Well spent all afternoon at the garage sorting a niggle noise out....it turns out to be a mishaped brake caliper which safe whilst solo but may have problems with the caravan on the back..........with the Easter weekend holiday it means that the new bit not available till probably Tuesday earliest!
So first stay abandoned but still hope for 10 days in Melrose for the Rugby 7's starting Thursday........we shall see.

Well done on the invite Henry.......

geoff

Yorky
03-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Fine looking loaf Char!

Your moonscape pendant certainly fits the bill Kay.

Congratulations Henry so do we say "Sir Henry" now? :lol:

We have had an invasion of ants!!!! In March!!!! Haven't found out where they are coming in but have hoovered everything in sight.

Doug

olliewood0702
03-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Char, you make me drool over that lovely loaf!

Kay, your pendant is GORGEOUS!

Ellen, I can't say I blame your son, even though I like to cook and bake sometimes I just don't want to. Why wouldn't the owners have hired someone to come in and clean the place?:confused:

Geoff, that is too bad about the brake caliper and you're not being able to go caravanning this weekend. I'll :crossfingers: that you will be able to next week.

Congratulations Henry!:thumbsup:

I'm SOOO ready for this work day to be over with. Another 10 minutes then I can head home. It's getting into our slow season now and data entry of orders have slowed down...so keeping busy gets harder. Then things will pick up again in July.

I'm pooped tonight and don't think I'm going to do anything after I make dinner for Larry and I.;)

Bye-Bye:wave: :heart:

Flattwo
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks folks

Geoff, maybe it was braking with the weight of the caravan behind you that distorted the callipers, maybe you could upgrade your callipers along with larger discs, expensive I know, but just a thought.

Henry

FLNH
03-27-2013, 05:34 PM
70 and sunny today, but it was 45 this am; very cold for this time of year in FL.

My first car was a Renault 4cv...kind of a French VW but smaller and uglier. I loved that car. I really like cars.

Kay...the Moonscape is beautiful.
Char...your bread looks great.
Happy belated Birthday, Hap.
Henry, happy about your wife's test.

We are going out for Cuban food with friends tonight.

HAWLTAIN.

shipbroker
03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks folks

Geoff, maybe it was braking with the weight of the caravan behind you that distorted the callipers, maybe you could upgrade your callipers along with larger discs, expensive I know, but just a thought.

Henry

They don't seem to think so as the Rexton is rated to be able to tug up to 3.5 tonnes and are used a lot for horse boxes etc.........and I have spent 1000 this last month on service and new tyres so 'pass'........

cheers

geoff

Strawberry Wine
03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Doug, the ants have been hibernating inside the house (basement, walls, cold cellar?). Now they are thristy and are looking for water and food.

We have had that happen to us several times in March or April over the years that we have lived here. You can buy some good liquid bait in the hardware. Place the drops where you are seeing the ants.... Just remeber you can't kill any ants that you encounter because they are taking the bait back to the nest. It usually takes a 2 weeks or so to get rid of them. I have had good success with baking soda and icing sugar but if you are seeing lots then go with the commercial stuff. I have never found the traps to work that well.

Need to make dinner but saw your post Doug and wanted to catch you before your bedtime.

Cheers,

Gail

CharM
03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi Washer Buds... it never did brighten up today, staying raw and dull...

I had a great time at Class this afternoon... As Beginners, they're doing a great job. I'm pushing them pretty hard and they're responding with panache...

Ted picked me up from Class and dropped me off at the hairdresser while he went to the grocery store next door. Then, we went out for fish and chips...

Kay, these flours tend to be more digestible for those people who are sensitive to traditional wheat. Your pendant really is a beauty... I *liked* the facebook page, so have been patiently waiting for them to announce that filming has begun.

Sharon, I'm looking forward to seeing your oil! I know you'll enjoy your Son's visit.

Lynn, I've never experimented with these wonderful alternative flours until recently. We're really enjoying their flavours, too.

((Ellen)) I want to see Les Miserables, too...

Sir Henry, I'm toasting my cup of tea to you... :) Congratulations...

Oh Geoff, I really empathize... vehicle ownership is sure a money pit.

Wow... ants! :eek: Doug...

I'm proud of this loaf... I've been able to recreate it three times now, so it's finally a winner for us. Ted really likes commercial brown bread and I've been experimenting to make a loaf that he'll enjoy.

Darla, I hope you're resting with your feet up and enjoying a nice cup of tea.

Karl, is Cuban food similar to Spanish?

So, I'm going to put my own feet up awhile... I wish you all a great evening/morning!

laudesan
03-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Susanne (Scotslass) posted a link a couple of weeks ago re the RSW (Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour) exhibition, http://www.rswgallery.org.uk/ I stated that basically they were an elitist bunch, anyway I emailed them, now the secretary wants me to submit paintings in October for their Winter Exhibition :eek::thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Geoff, good that you will be able to go on some of your caravanning trip. Your glass is half full! :heart:

Later...................

FLNH
03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Char, although some of the basic building blocks...pork, tomatoes,garlic,onions,peppers are the same they are different cuisines ( and some regional variation particularly in Spain). I think of Cuban food as "homey, comfort food." It is not spicy. One of the things I love about Miami is the variety of Hispanic cuisines which have some things in common yet can be quite different. Peruvian and Mexican food are quite different, yet both can be quite sophisticated. Then there are the Hispanic cuisines influenced by Asian immigrants such as Cuban-Chinese and a number of Asian-Peruvian dishes. Almost all of the Italian restaurants in Miami are actually run by people from Argentina. Most of the neighborhood restaurants are quite reasonably priced.

I'm now hungry and tired. :)

JudyL
03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
9 PM and just back from a WONDERFUL dinner out, place called the Boulevard Bistro, small place in old Elk Grove, and old house, the food was AMAZING! I ate too much, mushrooms for starters, then salmon followed by Chocolate Decadence :smug: should not have had that but sooooo worth it, may go lie down now ;)