PDA

View Full Version : smaller oil pastel version

guilliame
09-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Some of you will probaly seen this before when i posted it as an oil painting in the wc gallery ages ago it is 30 x20 inches,quite big and every time i go into my spare room to paint it beckons to me as tho to say cmon and finish me off,not being sure of how or what i needed to do to finish it i thought i would do a smaller oil pastel to give me some idea of how it would look,so far this is w
hat i have come up with size 11.5x7:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/09-Sep-2003/Community/images/6932-oil.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/6932-oil.gif

nougat
09-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Hi Guilliame!!

sorry but I can't see your painting. All I get is a little box with a red cross in it!!
n

guilliame
09-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by nougat
Hi Guilliame!!

sorry but I can't see your painting. All I get is a little box with a red cross in it!!
n Sorry Nougat seems a long time since i last used the uploader, should be up now tho:D

Dark_Shades
09-09-2003, 03:09 PM
good to see you posting Guilly.... Wow, this looks very complex ..... no wonder taking a time....... you have got some fantastic sunlight going on there.... just keep doing what you are

nougat
09-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Yes Guilliame!!! I can see it now!!
And it looks great!! I love the dappled sunlight!!

nadine

E-J
09-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Guilli, I don't remember your oil painting but this version looks like it's going to be great ... can already see that the sunlight effect is really well done. Shadows, branches, leaves ... Dawn's right, there's a lot going on here! Look forward to seeing your progress :)

maurdel
09-10-2003, 01:19 AM
G. I don't know if this is exactly like your painting but.... on this i would like it if something was done to the white car on the right. I just mean some color or value to give it more shape.

And I am not certain if this is even a problem, but the trees look so wild and tangly (very nice) but the shadows across the walk are very straight.

That's it, otherwise I would say it's done and well done.:clap:

Craig Houghton
09-11-2003, 06:39 AM
I haven't seen the oil, but judging by this brilliant little composition, I'd also recommend you finish it :) I'm particuarly drawn to the car after focusing on the figure.

-Craig

bnoonan
09-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Guilli - this is way too advanced for me to help you with. I guess I'd focus on area by area since you have so many lights, darks and shapes to work from. Hope the others can help.

Do pursue it - would love to see what comes out of it.

Barb

guilliame
09-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Nougat.DS,EJ,maurdel,Graig and Barb,thanks for viewing and your comments,i'm kinda happy with it but i'll work on it some more,it was a hot day and the car was white,sort of shimmering brilliant blinding white so there was just a shape and some of the shadows from the trees disappeared behind the figure and the contrast between the lights and the darks are quite severe,but i think i will take out the 3 twiny branches from right to left

bnoonan
09-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Guili - haven't talked to you in awhile - actually not many folks here. Didn't you have a showing of your work or actually a wall of your work hung some where? How did it go?

B

guilliame
09-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Guili - haven't talked to you in awhile - actually not many folks here. Didn't you have a showing of your work or actually a wall of your work hung some where? How did it go?

B Hi Barb,some pics from my wall went into local librarys and doctors waiting rooms around town no feedback as yet,i did have 2 pics in a local art club exhibition only for a week/end last month and only 4 were sold unfortunately not mine.
I see that you are back in the saddle with another good portrait:clap:,i hope you enjoyed your trip,you must have been away when i posted this one,i'm still plugging away,so if you want to cast your eye over it:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/6932-george.gif

bnoonan
09-11-2003, 06:38 PM
YOur style is becoming more and more distinct - I love it. You should be thrilled to the range of color and the tonal ranges you have included in this piece!!!! They are tremendous and those strokes indicate nice strong work. BEautiful.

Ok just a quick thought or two... tell me if the lights below the left eye are really that large and that light? I'd maybe tone them down a bit.

Also - are you familiar with the planes of the head? I'm thinking you could benefit from another look at those planar angles and if you don't have access to this, let me know I may be able to help a bit.

I can't quite tell but I'm having difficulty figuring out the shape below the nose - the mouth jaw area - it's just a bit odd shaped for some reason. Perhaps it needs to turn that corner around the face a bit more. Hmmm... NOt sure I'm describing this well but look again at your picture and see if it's really that shape.

Ok - off for more checking of things. Dawn is on line but having difficulty replying to work. I'm seeing what I can do to help/hinder her:evil: :angel: barb