PDA

View Full Version : Hothead newbie review.

kuzmal
09-09-2003, 02:31 PM
I've only been working with glass for a couple of weeks. I had been using my dad's torch. You know, the kind you buy at home depot. I was getting so frustrated! I couldn't keep any colors from getting ugly and it took forever! Over the weekend I went to a local store and bought a Hothead. I was absolutely amazed. Suddenly my colors were bright and clear and was finally able to encase without everything mixing together. It was so nice to know it wasn't just me. I've read about many people complaining about the HH being slow compared to their minor. While that is probably true, just try a soldering torch for a while and you'll certainly appreciate the HH. At some point I would like to pick up a Quiet torch and compare (as the HH is really loud) but until then I am very impressed. Sorry to go on and on but I'm just so thrilled that I'm finally making some progress. However, now my mind is nagging "just think what you could do with a minor". But alas, that will have to wait until I have better facilities for such a set up. I rent and I don't think the landlord would appreciate it. So, anyway, if you're considering getting into bead-making. I strongly suggest NOT settling for just any torch. I can highly recommend the HH. If you just pick up a regular torch from the hardware store you will likely be just as frustrated as I've been. When I get around to getting a QT I'll be sure to post my opinion on that too. It's good, I think, to present a newbie point of view on this one. Extra thanks to everyone on this forum that helped steer me toward the HH. :D

iwonder
09-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Hey there,

Welcome to our addiction! I've just moved to the Minor Burner but I had a lot of fun with the HH and will still hang on to it. I used it for a couple of years because I just couldn't scrape the money together for a better torch, oxybox, kiln, etc. I learned a lot with that little torch.

I rent too, but I'm being careful about safety, keeping my propane tank outside and just running a hose in through a window.

Meanwhile I've got about 30 little MAPP gas cans (capped) in my apartment, waiting for me to make twisties from their residue. That's probably not the safest....
:eek: ;)

iwonder

AlexM
09-09-2003, 03:54 PM
I've been working on the HH for 9 months now and am getting ready to upgrade to a Minor next month, can't wait. You're right about the HH being superior to welding torches. It's a great torch for beginners because it's inexpensive, doesn't need O2, is slow enough that beginners have time to think before everything melts into a molten glob.

I would probably think twice about buying a QT or Fireworks torch, as it's also called. I have had trouble with sooting on the beads and with clogging in the orifice. Others have reported similar experiences as well. On the plus side, though, the QT is much quieter than the HH and is more economical. I found that it is a tad slower to melt glass than the HH because I had to turn it down to avoid the sooting (which probably had a lot to do with the clogging).

StefaniBeads
09-10-2003, 07:11 AM
I was so p***ed off at my QT when the self-igniter stopped working, and then had found a brand new HH in the swap shop. I figured, why not try the HH instead of getting another QT? I still use it, but I have to use a BBQ lighter to get it going. Would have to use a striker or lighter for the HH anyway, and now I'm used to that.

I haven't tried my new HH yet, maybe I should switch them today. A lot of people still use their HH, and some for many years make fabulous beads on the HH.

Ignuss-Fatuus
09-10-2003, 07:21 AM
quiet torch = oxy moron
mine was not quiet at all....and yes mine gradually started working less and less and i believe it was getting a clog of some sort deep down in the torch somewhere and since you cant tear a quiet torch apart.....it was kinda a loss .....at least i got my other torch just as my QT was pooping out.
karin

Holly Bailey Designs
09-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi and welcome to the hot glass addiction!

I also started out on a HH for many years until I had the funds for a Minor. It was reliable and you can actually make just as beautiful beads with it. And when you do upgrade, keep it around just in case... I was working on a set for a friend's wedding (kind of last minute) and ran out of O2...luckily the HH was there and I finished off the set. Now I can't even tell which ones were made on which torch! :D

holly b