PDA

View Full Version : meadows' edge

chewie
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
haven't posted anything in a while, but have been watching what others are doing!
this one, eh, not in love with it. did a tiny color study of it and it was good, this didn't please me as much. its 11x14 on 500uart.

some of my issue is I don't have many birghter flower hues, so gosh, I might have to get some! has anyone used GA pearlesent sticks? they sound fun.

c/c is more than welcome, I am happy enough with the b/g, but the front, hmm, needs something? or not?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/6679-meadows_edge.jpg

robbieowens
03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Chewie, the colours are great as is the background, the first thing I noticed though was the field seem to go up rather than into the distance

sketchZ1ol
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
hello
interesting point you write as to that feeling that something's different/missing
when going from a small sketch to a larger surface .

it's happened to me , and has varied aspects of colour saturation , mass , detailing ( or not ) , and distance from my viewing point .

something that might help is to have the sketch in hand and step back from the larger piece to compare .
another is a reduction lens to look at the larger piece with sketch in hand .

the b/g looks real good to me ;
soft nuances with value blocks/variety .

? can those characteristics work in the foreground w/o making a ' fuzzy/feely ' painting ?
> maybe less detailing/vert line of the grasses might work , for one ...

just a thought .

Ed

ps. a 3x5 , 4x6 , or 5x7 sketch is a size which works for me .

allydoodle
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I agree, the distance is well done. Those blue green trees are great, as is that yellow sky, excellent.

Right now I feel like I'm looking over the tops of those flowers, as if I'm in a gully and the flowers are just above my nose. Does that make sense? If that's what your after, then it works. If you're after distance and having the scene recede, then I think maybe you need to use stronger, warmer reds in the foreground and weaker cooler ones as they go off into the distance. Right now it seems you are using all cool tones, with a little bit of a stronger hue in the foreground, but it's too cool, it doesn't come forward enough, which doesn't create distance. The warmth will come forward, so putting warmer, stronger reds in the foreground should help. Also, you seem to have the flowers almost coming to a 'point' in the foreground, not sure if that's intentional or not. The 'point' is dead center too..... not always a good idea. Lastly, I like the lime green, but you need to put hints of it elsewhere, like maybe in the distance as grass catching some light. Just my thoughts, others may see it differently. I hope this helps you.

I really love that sky and background trees, superb!

water girl
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
I do not have a problem with the sense of going up a little hill, rather than into the distance. In fact, it makes me more interested in reaching the top and discovering what is up there. I love, love, love the softness of the flowers and grasses.

jillstefaniwagner
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
gorgeous sky too!

jeaneade2001
03-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I love it all too, and it doesn't bother me that I'm looking at the flowers going over a little hill. Puts a different perspective on it all.

chewie
03-25-2013, 08:09 PM
thanks for the second pair of eyes! I did add some hotter pink in the front flowers, and broke up some of the more distant flower areas. that made me feel better. i was aiming for that little upwards feeling of the hill of flowers, so that part is good. I think I'll let it be for a while, see if it screams at me later or lets me be as 'done'. thanks so much!!

sketchZ1ol
03-25-2013, 10:18 PM
hello
cropping 50% off the bottom does find a consistent touch w/o pushing other things .

just my thought .

Ed

Turpintine45
03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
I like it.

Dcam
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Chewie: This is lovely.
I see what others are saying. When you come to the area where the flowers "bunch up" things get very flat? Not sure you want the field to recede, but the eyes expect that, if that makes sense.
really like it anyway.
Derek

rsmith.1141
03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Very nice handling of the middle ground and far distance. Nice.

Jayde
03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
What a lovely, soft painting. I love the colours in this one :thumbsup: