PDA

View Full Version : Daffodils

Terranova
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi all,
this is my first painting here in wc.
I started to paint 2006, but due to work and health I had a huge stop and started again a few weeks ago.

I have to write a bit about this painting, hope it won't be too long ;)

First my daffodils:
painted on 300gr/ 140 lb watercolor paper (brand unknown)
with mainly Schmincke Horadam colors. Have a few Lukas paints (also in artist quality) - I think I used just one here.
Brushes are mainly from Royal Talens.
Size: 16 x 23,5 cm / aprox 6 x 9"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/1141772-daffodils2_Kopie.jpg

And now the "story" behind it.
During the last couple of weeks I recognized that I totally changed my kind of painting: back in 2006-2007 my colors were pale (although this is here also the case to a certain extent).

Now I have the following problem: I tried to do the challenges here in the wc forum: the hibiscus and the tulips.
I first made a few exercises on scrap paper and then changed to the bigger format - and my paintings got worse and worse. I have about 6 hibiscusses and 5 tulips here - and like none of them. Exept of my "scrap-exercises" :D
I think, I overwork them too much and don't stop - adding one layer after the other without really knowing why.

now I had to do a painting:
My aunt is 78yrs old and learnt as a nun so many crafts and creative arts. She is totally in love with watercolouring and prefers ink and washes.

She is the last one of 3 sisters (my mum died 25yrs ago) and any time we talk to each others or write to each other (she lives about 700 km away from here), she says things like: "should I still be alive in September, we could meet there and there"
And this also led her to the idea, she has to send me everything on time, what she wants me to have. This is in my case all about our family's history and... all watercolor material she has. mainly different paper sorts, brushes and a few paints. And her beautiful watercolors. On the one hand I am really happy to get that - on the other hand I would prefer to send everything back to her - because it is so sad to see that she thinks she may die soon - as the last one of my mother's family.

Are you tired?? :D
Hope not... I'll try to make it short now :)

Hence - I decided to keep the things (would have no possibility of giving it back to her :D ) but to paint something for her on her paper (thats why I don't know the brand) using some of her paints (she also used Schmincke horadam and Lukas - like me).

Now I know that I have to learn tons of more resp. watercolors- but the painting should reach her by Easter Sunday :D

So I decided to do a painting after a tutorial I saw in a magazine on painting flowers in watercolors. I could not follow that tutorial: some of the explanations / steps were not understandable for me and I do not have some of the paints they propose.
So i did it after the picture in the magazine.

I stopped at this stage, because I do not want to put color onto it without having a real plan.

So: any c&c is welcome - if you know maybe minor steps how to improve it, I will try to implement them.
I will try to implement all critique anyway in a later painting I will be doing: I want to learn and improve.

Thanks for your help,
Gaby

P.S.: Hm I changed the size to 800 pixels maximum - but the picture seems to be quite big (?) Hope, that is not against forum rules...

noge
03-24-2013, 03:02 PM
well done :wave: :wave: :thumbsup:

Yorky
03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
A wonderful thought.

You should limit your pictures to 600 pixels high so they fit on the screen.

Doug

Terranova
03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Danke Egon :) Thanks!

Doug, thanks for the info. I cannot edit this post, or? will do so in future! Only recognized the 800 pixel limit.

Gaby

Yorky
03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
No need to edit it Gaby, most browsers will reduce the size by pressing CTRL- just bear in mind in future that although the size limit is 800x800 pictures fit on screen better if kept to 600 pixels high.

Doug

painterbear
03-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Gaby,
What a lovely way to say "Thank you" to your aunt. One which she will also appreciate since she is/was a watercolorist herself. :D

I think your daffodils are lovely as they are. Perhaps you might add a tiny bit of that blue that you have around the white flower to go under the yellow daffodil at the top and touching the leaf near the second yellow flower at the lower left. That way it would tie them all together. It isn't essential though, they look lovely as they are now.

Sylvia

Terranova
03-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback Sylvia!

I have however one question - just to clarify for me:
you mean the space between the yellow petal (the darker part) and the leaf on the left? Is that right? Or do you also mean to have the blue under the leaf towards the lower petal?

There is blue paint between that left petal at the top and the white petal. but it does not go until the end of that leaf (hope I could describe that properly :D )
Will do the changes and post them - in the correct size :)

Thanks a lot!
Gaby

M.L. Schaefer
03-24-2013, 06:38 PM
If you want your Daffodils to pop a bit more, try glazing a Warm Orange at the deepest shadow places of the yellows.

The littlest bit of just a thin wash of Perm Rose on some parts of your white daffodil?

This is a bittersweet story....your Aunt will adore your painting! Most especially because it was painted by her gift to you!

:heart: :heart: :heart: Margarete

laudesan
03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
I think your beautiful painting looks lovely just as it is, and your Aunt is absolutely going to love it!!!!!!

Terranova
03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks a ton Margarete and JJ!

Hm, I did not reckon with somebody writing not to change it :D

I will try to add a thin orange wash on the yellows. With perm rose on the white one I am a bit timid, that I mess it up when not doing it properly. Have to think a moment about that and to try that on scrap paper first:)
(Hope you don't get me wrong Margarete: your advice is really appreciated :) thanks a lot!)

Gaby :wave:

(yes, I think that my aunt will appreciate to receive the painting, just to see that I use her paints :D - just kidding. I mean: she knows that I am not a good watercolorist)

painterbear
03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks so much for your feedback Sylvia!

I have however one question - just to clarify for me:
you mean the space between the yellow petal (the darker part) and the leaf on the left? Is that right? Or do you also mean to have the blue under the leaf towards the lower petal?

There is blue paint between that left petal at the top and the white petal. but it does not go until the end of that leaf (hope I could describe that properly :D )
Will do the changes and post them - in the correct size :)

Thanks a lot!
Gaby

I was thinking of extending the blue from the white petal on the left down and out to the green leaf beneath it.

Sylvia

Terranova
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
ah, sorry that I misunderstood you. Now I know, thanks a lot. Will do that (hopefully in the evening).

gaby

M.L. Schaefer
03-25-2013, 06:50 PM
No Worries, Gaby! We are here to give advice, not demand that you follow it!:lol: Good grief, already, that would be a big ole disaster waiting to happen!

Only put the pale orange glaze on the shadow parts of the daffodils! You want to make the yellows pop, not overcome them!

:heart: Margarete

Terranova
03-27-2013, 02:00 PM
thanks so much Margarete for your reply!
Wanted to point out, that the reason was not, that I did not like your proposal, but that I had the fear to ruin it by adding perhaps to much color, without really having the skills for that (so more a lack of time...)

But I added more orange to the shadows! That's a huge difference.
And Sylvia was so right, that adding more blue brings everything together: I also did that.

I unfortunately cannot show you my result, because my *#?x* (insert "dear" :D ) hubby took the camera to work today and will return only late - my envelope had to go to the post office today.

I am really thankful for all your help! Thanks so much to all of you for your help and also your encouragement :)

Gaby