PDA

View Full Version : Notorious BIG portrait

prashant11
03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
14x18 on Fabriano Tiziano paper.

Those that may not know the subject, he was one of the best rappers that was murdered in 1997. I love his music and decided to do his portrait.

This is a new paper for me. It has a very strong pattern on it, so almost impossible to achieve a smooth look, but for being not sanded, it does take a quite a bit of layers. Much more than the Canson MT paper. Although I think I will stick with Canson or UArt in the future.

C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/178557-Biggie_small.JPG

pastel65
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
It's a fabulous painting. It's a little sad knowing he passed but a nice tribute. Not familiar with most pastel papers. Have only tried Canson in past but current teacher only a fan of Wallis sanded so that is all I use and I do like it but I like seeing what others recommend. You clearly have a talent for portraits which I do not. Consider a WIP in the future so we can benefit from a little lesson. Thanks Pam

artsask
03-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Lovely portrait and glow on his skin and crown, nicely done, a great tribute.

Trudi

Turpintine45
03-24-2013, 01:40 AM
This is a really good portrait despite your paper difficulties. I like glow of his crown too. Well done.

Ruthie57
03-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Great portrait! The pattern of the paper showing through does not take away from it at all.

allydoodle
03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Beautiful portrait Prashant! Good to see your work again. I love the red background, it works so very well with this subject.

prashant11
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Pam - Thanks! I do have a single sheet of Wallis but since it was so expensive, I've kept it on the side for something special. :) And portraits are a little difficult since likeness have to be exact, but it's just practice. I'll post WIP pictures next time I do one. I do take them and post them on my blog from time to time.

Trudi - Thanks! the ref pic was pretty good so it made it easier to do a dynamic portrait.

Jen - Thanks! the crown adds a lot to the painting.

Ruthie - Thanks! the rough paper worked out because of the subject too i think. Wouldn't use this for a portrait of a delicate subject.

Chris - Thanks! i learn a lot following your WIP portraits. yeah the background worked out. Instead of a solid one like usual I went for something a little different.

Mado
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Very good !

al84
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
what is the uart paper like? i have a large pieace to do on it?

prashant11
04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
UArt paper is sanded and comes in different grits. It's a great paper since it holds many layers of pastels. I generally do a watercolor underpainting and that works pretty well. Paper doesn't buckle at all.

al84
04-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Might have to try the watercolour under painting.do you just do the outline with the water colours?

prashant11
04-04-2013, 11:41 PM
I typically go over the whole thing with watercolors, mainly to hide the paper color. I have WIP of a few paintings on my blog that shows you the watercolor wash before painting with pastels.

al84
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
like ya bulls pastel painting mate.i hope i can get to this stage at some time! just orderd me a easel cant wait to get started on the new pieace!

twiglet
04-06-2013, 01:48 AM
I really like this Prashant. Although your not liking the paper that much, I agree with you when you say it add's the the subject. I think it works really well and was drawn to it. Great work!

Judy Manuche
04-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I love it! It is really nice. Great skin tones! The only thing I see that you might check again is his eyes, they look a bit small in comparison to his facial structures.

prashant11
04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
al84 - Thanks! I've sold a lot of prints of the Bulls one. It's popular for sure.

twiglet - Thanks! rough paper for a rough subject :)

Judy - Thanks! The eyes are a bit weird for this guy as they are small and crooked, but that's how it was in the ref pic.