PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash, Saturday, March 23, 2013***

olliewood0702
03-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Hello all,

It's ten minutes to midnight here on Friday...almost Saturday.

I'm still up and watching some TV; but ready soon for bed. Larry is sleeping soundly as he has to work early in the morning.

I'm having lunch with a friend who lives in my town and one who is visiting from our hometown for the weekend. Then I have a few stores to stop at and then home to paint.:thumbsup:

We saw sunshine in the afternoon on Friday and today is supposed to have sunshine too. Just seeing the sun makes you feel like Spring is just around the corner.:crossfingers: A winter storm is heading east but will miss us as it's going south of us. Sylvia and Anita may be dealing with it by Sunday into Monday.

I hope you all have a GREAT day and make it a creative one!:wave: :grouphug:

ScarletLake
03-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Hello Everyone:wave: :wave:

Been a really busy week here for me and yes Darla we are looking at MUCH SNOW Sunday into Monday. I keep hearing crazy amounts from 6 - 10 inches.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Got my ATC card out in the mail for a swap. Got 25 copies of my art zine made and mailed out to Georgia for on online group I have been enjoying. Never did anything like that but excited to see what the 25 I will get back will look like.

Worked at the art museum on Wed and visited with Dad yesterday. He's doing much better. However the evil stepmom is up to something. I think she is trying every angle she can to get him home so she does not have to give up any of their money. I totally understand but with their house paid for and car paid for she would have enough to live on.

I'm so relieved for him that he is in a nice place and being well taken care of and not having someone yelling at him all the time. He's staying exactly where he is.

Gail ---Hoping that all goes well with your appt.:heart: :heart:

JJ - watch out for infection and be careful.

Well getting off here and back to bed. It's only 1:45am.

Anita

JudyL
03-23-2013, 01:59 AM
Hi, :wave:
I had to look at my watch to see what day the 23rd was to be sure it was Saturday, it's late and the kids have gone, no pizza but McD's someone mentioned it and Jack got all eager for a hamburger :rolleyes: Men! I was good and had a grilled chicken caesar salad, not bad!

We were working on a 3' jigsaw puzzle, one piece missing, :eek: we have searched on hands and knees sadly it is an edge piece :( if this was long ago I would suggest my sister and/or brother of hiding it, they used to do that to be the one to finish the puzzle :lol:

shipbroker
03-23-2013, 02:45 AM
So America is in bed now!

It is Saturday here and its. snowing.

Back in later

geoff

Doris345
03-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Good morning washers,

Hello Anita, Judy, Darla - - Ladies rule today!
Hi Geoff

((Gail, JJ))

Not much happening here.
Pink was in concert last night at Madison Square Garden, which is only 3 blocks from here, and the noise/traffic disruptions were actually more annoying than usual. Surprising. We do have occasional noisy bursts from 'enthusiastic' hockey fans -- but from Pink fans??

My only plans for the day: I want to make some sweet cabbage soup. I used to have it at a Polish restaurant nearby, but they are long closed. i have never found a recipe for it (no tomatoes) so I am going to do some experimenting and make my own.

Unless, of course, someone out there has an old family recipe . . .

Back later with a full report.

Doris

Yorky
03-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Good morning all from a snow covered West Lancashire.

We got off rather lightly so far, only an inch, but some areas have had up to a foot with drifts up to 14 feet with many motorists stranded and power cables down in rural areas. Thank goodness most cables in urban areas are underground. This is Spring :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/1046-SnowMarch23.jpg

We will be celebrating a friend's 80th birthday this evening.

Doug

doppler
03-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Good evening.

Darla up way too late.:heart:

It was a gloriously warm sun filled day today. Also humid so I think there will be rain tomorrow. I did the floor scraping and Roger did some garden trimming. After he helped me inside for a while I suggested OUT my man, OUT!

He complied and kept his sigh of relief to himself. Except, I heard!!!!

Anita, :eek: Keep him where he is cared for.

Doug and Geoff, begone with snow I say!! :) Any old time. CWYS.

Judy, one missing jigsaw piece ? ((())) Huggy stuff because that is really annoying.

Doris, I used to live at Red Hill in Brisbane which is perilously close to Lang Park where Michael Bouble entertained the entire inner city. Who needs tickets?

I think I've done all I can remember except Kay, your jewellery is great, Gail I HOPE HOPE HOPE the checkup is good and special hugs for Char and Skittles.

Bill, would love to see Ms Feral treeing your turkeys.

BBL after I've boiled something for dinner :clear:

Yorky
03-23-2013, 05:09 AM
Hi Annie, oh for some warmer weather here!

Doug

Lulu
03-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Hi each and every one:wave:
bit too tired to talk now, just about on our way to bed here.
Just finished skyping the family, finalising some things. They are going soon to Turkey for two weeks holiday, will be back a week when we arrive.
Not long to go!

Easter ceremonies for the next week, plus lots of pre-trip stuff to do!

This time last year Doug............:heart: memories are wonderful....Gosh, have just seen your snow pic!! :eek:
It's getting cooler here now, but 22C daytime temp is not bad.
I even mowed the lawn today!

:grouphug: to all

doppler
03-23-2013, 05:15 AM
Careful what you wish for Doug. :crossfingers: Did you not have drought last summer?

I just wish for pleasant temperatures, regular rainshowers and evenness.

laudesan
03-23-2013, 05:24 AM
It was a glorious autumn day here, but hot, 31 degrees in my home office at lunchtime..

When it cooled down, 4.30pm to be exact, my friend and I went for a bike ride. We went to a local bike trail. There is a huge bike-way that serious bikers use for training, and folks like me use for fun. We only did 7 km because my lower gears kept slipping. It was really annoying, so I am riding the bike back to the cycle store tomorrow and get them to look at it. I have to keep it in 4th gear or higher, makes biking uphill a challenge :-D
I took my GoPro attached to my handle bars, but It wasn't turned on. I thought it was, but ....darn it.. Oh well next time eh..

Love and hugs all-round. :heart: :grouphug: :heart:

shipbroker
03-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Yes Doug..our garden much as yours......with grey grey skies.

geoff

painterbear
03-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 7:00 a.m. and time to wake up Larry, but I thought I'd pop in here before I do. As Darla said, this is the calm before the storm that is supposed to arrive tomorrow morning. Predictions are anywhere from 4" to 12" of snow to fall during the nighttime hours. :eek: My fear is that we will go from winter to summer and skip over spring...one of my favorite seasons of the year.

We're heading out to the grocery store to pick up some bread and milk and anything else we see. Probably won't do our major shopping until later in the week.

Started putting the fur on my cougar yesterday. Still have a way to go.

Doug, I've been reading about the weather there in England causing gasoline shortages. So you are having the same kind of wild weather we are here in the Midwest.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those on their way.

BBLater,

Sylvia

WthrLady
03-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Good Morning all. The migrating Northern Robins are JUST starting to make their first songs. I'm sure the Mockingbirds will be up soon as well, as they refuse to be outdone by other birds.6am in pitch dark, warm and humid Dixieland, expecting more severe storms later today and into tonight. 'Tis the Season.

I startled awake at 245 and have been awake ever since. I finally crept out of bed at 5 and make a lovely big batch of thick Irish Oats.

I'm working on a windmill painting from google earth, but I started out all hunched over and working close instead of standing up. It lost the loose feel I was shooting for almost immediately.

My mom and sister are batting down the hatches near Sylvia and Anita. The worst will come Sunday night. The never fail March blizzards in Ohio, eh? It never fails.... you can never let the kids wear the cute Spring dresses or shoes. It's parkas and snowboots. The only consolation is that the snow never lasts long this time of year, no matter how much you get. The daytime radiation and heating always wins.

((Hugs to the ill and broken))

Waves to all :)

Yorky
03-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Hi Geoff, Hi Caryl.
Doug, I've been reading about the weather there in England causing gasoline shortages. So you are having the same kind of wild weather we are here in the Midwest.
It is natural gas we are running short of Sylvia for heating and power generation not petrol. Since the close down of the coal fired power stations to satisfy the EU carbon reduction strategy we are ever more dependent on imported natural gas and apparently we haven't enough storage facilities making supplies risky when we have cold weather like this. This affects both our domestic heating and power generation capacity.

Snow is thawing fast here - 2C.

Doug

LynnM
03-23-2013, 07:40 AM
:wave: Good day! Getting light now, apparently we will have sun this weekend, so looking forward to that.....no snow yet, I hope you are right Darla, and the storm passes south. Sun has just appeared now, I'll be off walking for groceries today. Still trying to finish my Pocket Puppy, need eyes, so ordered them and then realized they are coming from China.....will be a while before I finish that project!

Too bad about the puzzle, Judy, frustrating to know it must be somewhere! I do that with spools of thread, they drop and vanish, amazing how far something round can roll and what a small space it can hide in.

Sounds like you are doing quite a few art related activities, Anita, that's good :)

Doug, spring is indeed reluctant to appear. We had unheard of pile ups on the trans Canada hiway in Alberta, 100 people injured, let alone vehicles smashed.

Hope your bike is an easy fix, JJ.

Looking forward to seeing the windmill, Caryl.

Hi Sylvia, Geoff, Annie, and all to come, have a rewarding day! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

CharM
03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Happy Saturday Peeps! It's grey and cold here in SW Ontario... we don't have any snow on the ground, but everything is frozen solid! The sun is trying to peek out from behind the clouds, so we just may have a nice day. :crossfingers:

I want to get our laundry under way, shortly... and other than that, I really don't have any formal plans...

Darla, your plans for lunch with friends sound very nice...

((Anita)) I hope your Dad stays where he'll get the best care...

Awh, Judy! One piece! :eek:

Hi Geoff...

Doris, no family recipe here for sweet cabbage soup... there are definitely a few disadvantages to living in a big city, eh?

Just think Doug... in a couple of months, we'll all be complaining of the miserable heat and humidity! :lol:

Thanks Annie... It's a slow by steady improvement for the big guy. I chuckled about Roger's relief... I know that *sigh*...

Lulu, my Mother has invited us to have Easter dinner at her Residence. No preparations need be done at this end. The food there is SO awful... but it's important to her, so I guess that's what we'll be doing... it's only food... sort of... :)

Too bad about your nice new bike, JJ.

It wouldn't be the first time we skipped a season, eh, Sylvia... since Spring is my favourite, I'm hoping we don't jump right in to summer! :eek: I think your snow is going to stay to the South of us.

Caryl, I had to laugh at the memory of so many pretty new Easter outfits covered by big winter coats! I'm looking forward to seeing your windmill!

Doug, this shortage has really serious implications! :( Do you feel that sometimes things are not as well planned as they should have been?

Lynn, is there nowhere locally that you could buy those eyes?

I think I'm going to head outside to go for a walk, too... Have a wonderfully creative day everyone! :heart:

Strawberry Wine
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Good Day Washers !
We have blue skies, then the clouds roll in, then back to blue skies with the temperature just below 0 C. So not too bad so far.

Sylvia, hope you don't get as much of the white stuff as expected. One of the worst storms I have ever experienced happend the end of the 1st week of April. 2 + feet of snow fell in just a few hours and even the ploughs could not get out. It was when the kids were quite young so that was years ago. I remember that I had to get to the bank in town to deposit a cheque for the mortgage payment and had to attempt walking. By the time I got to the end of our short street I was exhausted. A fellow on a snow mobile stopped and offered me a lift to the bank, waited and brought me home again. Those were the days !

Good News!

The surgeon was SMILING a he read us the report that the cancer was classed as a Stage 1 -B. The margins were clear and there was no lymph node involvement. Which means, that I will not need chemo or radiation at this time because there is nothing to treat. :thumbsup: I will be closely monitored at the Cancer Centre every 3 months with a CT Scan and Bronoscopy at the 1 year mark . Then every 4 months during the 2nd year with the scan and bronoscopy at the 2 year mark. If the cancer should resurface it usually does so within the first two years. If it doesn't I will be closely monitored for 5 years and then on an annual basis. My Spring and summer just got a lot brighter.

Doris, I googled Polish Cabbage Soup and there are a lot of recipes out there that sound yummy and do not have tomatoes in the recipe.

WEll it is laundry day so we better get started.

Thanks for all the well wishes and support over the last couple of months. I am thrilled to be able to share such positive test results such wonderful global friends. :grouphug: back to all of you.

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

Uschi
03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Gail, I am so glad I read this news before I left, I have been checking, checking for your post.

So, I am allowed 15 smilies, here they come :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :heart:

I am off, BBL.
Uschi

shipbroker
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Gail......lovely news!

Power shortage possibilities..........known for decades but influenced by politics (mainly green) in UK & EC......we need more nuclear stations quickly.

Snow nearly gone but cold out there...went for papers and have not crossed doorstep since.

geoff

Yorky
03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
That's great news Gail :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doug

Scene Chaser
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Good Day All,

Gail:clap: :clap: :clap: What wonderful news.

We still have white ground here, but I have been assured that spring and warmer weather will come soon.

I've finished taxes and this year will receive a refund. :clap:

Must clean house today.

Bill

LCPainterCat
03-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Gail said, "Good News!

The surgeon was SMILING!"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SO ARE WE ALL!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just the most wonderful news, Gail. Who needs sunshine?
Our day is already sunny with your great news. :heart:

Lynn/LC

ScarletLake
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Gail,

That is just the BEST NEWS of the DAY. :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

Anita

painterbear
03-23-2013, 10:48 AM
:thumbsup: on the great news, Gail!!!! Way to go in defeating the nasty C disease or at least giving it a knock down punch!!!! :grouphug:

I remember one of those late April snow storms too, Gail. We were living in Virginia and decided to drive up to visit my folks in southern Pennsylvania for the day. It was only a couple hours drive so we figured we could do it in one day. WRONG! It started to snow when we were almost at their house and continued to snow the rest of the day. No way we could go home. We wound up staying there for two days, sans changes of clothes, until driving home on Monday. It was a real mess.

Bill, :thumbsup: on getting some of your own money back this year. ;)

Doug and Geoff, Hope the supply of natural gas holds up for all of you. Is that what you heat your houses with????

Caryl, Yep, your Mom and sister are going to get some of the same storm we will be getting. You would be amazed at some of the teenagers we see walking past our house on the way to and from school. Temps have been freezing or near freezing all week and they stroll by in short sleeve shirts and shorts, no coats. :shaking head icon needed here:

Char, I'm glad you will be spending Easter dinner with your Mom, even if it isn't the best food, it will be a boost for her to have you all there. :D Had to :laugh: at Magoo missing you guys. This is a big and important step for him though to be out on his own like this. :thumbsup: Hope your little furkid is feeling better.

:wave: to all who were here between my visits.

SYL,

Sylvia

LynnM
03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Wonderful Gail! I checked late last night and first thing this AM, was hoping to see this when I came home this morning :clap: :clap: :clap: .

And the birds are singing, it was a lovely walk. Caryl, the robins have got here, the cardinal was warbling away (of course he's here all winter) and a morning dove was cooing. Lots of little birds too, so it really is spring despite the temps.

How nice, Bill, to get a refund. Some years I am tempted to have them take off too much so I'll get one too, but daily needs trump that.

Char, I checked Ottawa st, our fabric district, and only 2 eyes, both too large, I think I bought their last pkg of the size I wanted for my last stuffed toy. I could embroider them, but the safety eyes show through the fake fur so much better. So went to Etsy, thinking the one I found was more local.....oh well, the shipper says 15-60 days :eek: There was so much choice there, though, that I don't really mind.

ona
03-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Thats such good news Gail:clap::heart::clap:

Hi everyone:wave:

olliewood0702
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
WHOOHOo...the VERY BEST news possible, Gail! That is wonderful.:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had to run to the post office to pick up a registered piece of mail. It was our train tickets from Oxford to London! I'm still waiting for some others too. The air tickets we will print online when it gets closer.

It was supposed to be sunny...and it isn't.:rolleyes: I keep hoping but it doesn't look too promising.

I'm meeting the friends at 1pm for lunch.

I slept in this morning...was sound asleep when I heard my phone chiime that I'd gotten a text message. It was Larry wishing me good morning; he was at work.

Stay warm people! Spring MUST be coming real soon...:crossfingers:

shipbroker
03-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Doug and Geoff, Hope the supply of natural gas holds up for all of you. Is that what you heat your houses with????

Doug lives in town and will have the benefits of gas supply,which is cheaper and instant unlike my supply which is mainly oil at its inflated prices. The nearest gas is about 3 miles away...We did have an LPG tank when we moved here but that was expensive and had started to leak.......too dangerous to keep....we supplement with oil fired radiators or electric fires.

Still cold...snow almost gone here now.

geoff

cloudchaser
03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Your health news is just brilliant Gail, long may it continue
Tony

Flattwo
03-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi to All

Gail, fantastic news, I am really pleased to hear it!

This weather is crazy, woke up this morning and had to dig the car out of the snow 6 inches thick, the wind is freezing, the weather people say it is the coldest March in 50 years!

I was looking through my old stuff today and came across a couple of pages of a Canadian newspaper, The Star Weekly, Toronto, October 28, 1939

This colour photo of a painting by Lynn Bogue Hunt was in it, anyone heard of her?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/3457-Mallards_2.jpg

Speak later

Henry

Wind Song
03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi Everyone:wave:

Gail congrats on the great news!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

GramPat
03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi Everyone!

Sunny but cold here at 32, but warmer than yesterday. Supposed to get to 40 tomorrow with snow in the evening. Weather stations all say different amounts of snow! Who knows? I think Punxatawny Phil certainly got it wrong this year! Robins arrived 2 weeks ago with the starlings. Grackles are next. Poor forsythia not sure what they are doing. I am so over winter!
My 3 furkids are excited watching the birds and squirrels. Watching for my groundhog under my shed. Haven't seen him yet. Maybe Phil could use an advisor? I have been watching for groundhogs as I pass the state prison here. They are starting to come out

Gail, so glad you have good news. You are blessed. Want to say hi to all, hugs and thoughts to everyone.

Pat

wcartistsr
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Gail What WONDERFUL news! I am so happy for you and relieved. I can only begin to imagine the load that you feel lifted.

Hubby and I went out for breakfast this morning, one of our favorite meals out. I had French toast and bacon. Yum! Then we picked up some meat and veggies at the fruit market and we are set for the week.

Still working on the background for the hibiscus, trying to get all the depth in the stems and shadows. I am getting close to to overworking it, so MUST stop soon. I have been watching the Joyce Faulkner tapes again, the Art 2 Art. I like her method.

Not much planned for the rest of the day.

Shirley

artmom
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Gail, wonderful news!:thumbsup:

Lyn

shipbroker
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi Lyn........nice to see you 'peering' in..............

geoff

New Gamboge
03-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone - fairly cold here - a few flakes and lots of sunshine yesterday - which meant the ducks were ready to go in early.

Gail - wonderful news.

JudyL - I used to find pieces of jigsaw puzzles taken out of the middle of finished areas - I finally caught my cat sitting on the puzzle, and flexing his hind toe nails, which pulled the pieces out. He also used to play floor hockey with pieces, so needless to say most of my puzzles are missing 1 or 2 pieces. I try to remember to write it on the inside of the box so I'll know next time.

I finally have someone to do puzzles with - my DGD loves to help and gets quite a few pieces in.

Fed the ducks, fed the beta and catfish, fed the cats, cleaned out the cat box and duck house, and have short ribs in the oven for dinner. I still have to put the ducks to bed, and water and feed them in about an hour. And I always have hungry kitties to feed. I am finally getting over the cold, but am still somewhat stuffed up and coughing.

Wonderful curling game between Canada and Scotland today - congrats to the Scots on winning a squeaker.

Betty

NancyR
03-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Good afternoon everyone. We have had a cold front that brought some rain, and the next few nights will get down to the mid 30s. We slept in until noon, got dressed, and headed out to do errands.

I found a small 4-shelf greenhouse for $30. (I was really coveting the one you could walk in that was about 5' by 6' for $110.) I have my newly bought flowers inside the little one in my sheltered patio. The pots that were too big to put inside are now behind it. They will be sheltered from the wind. I do want a greenhouse in the future, but that will have to wait.

I also picked up two big bags of wildflower and cottage flower seeds to plant. I cannot wait to do that tomorrow, if the sun shines. We are overcast and drizzly today.

Darla, isn't it fun to have a free day to do whatever you want by yourself. I really do enjoy that part when my husband starts doing baseball games. Tonight we are going to pretend we are at the movies and watch Skyfall--popcorn and all.

Anita, your father needs to be cared for 24/7. I totally agree with you that he needs to stay where he is now.

Doris, I have a Polish cookbook, but I could not find sweet cabbage soup. I did find wine and beer soup which I have never tried.

Doug, Geoff, and Henry, I hope the snow stops soon for you all. Gas shortages are very bad during the winter. We had that one time here in North Texas. Pipes froze and burst inside houses.

Gail, What a wonderful report from the Doctor!:clap: :clap: :clap: I am so happy that the news was so good.

Got to run.

Strawberry Wine
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Oh my Gosh,

Thank you, thank you, everyone..... You all have me a little teary eye'd as we clap and dance together across the planet.

What a wonderful bunch you all are :heart: :grouphug: :heart:

Not sure if you realize how much this all means to us.

Hugs,

Gail and Dan

laudesan
03-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Good News!

The surgeon was SMILING............I have tears running down my face I am so happy!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

JudyL
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Gail :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: !:heart:

CharM
03-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Gail, dear friend, I'm so happy for you! I'm sure that you and your family are breathing a collective sigh of relief! What a joyous piece of news... :heart: :grouphug: :heart:

Ted and I went out for supper (which was just terrible) and then to see a movie, Olympus Has Fallen, which is chock full of action... Gerard Butler single handedly saved the world...

G'nite!

Lulu
03-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Wahooooo Gail! Fantastic news!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/1118-32965-action-smiley-078.gif

Ellen in Ont
03-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Finally had a chance to pop in to read the wash and couldn't go to bed with out a huge hug and thumbs up to Gail for the great news.:heart: :heart: :thumbsup: