PDA

View Full Version : Diptych

Dcam
03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
I've always been drawn to the diptych, triptych and polyptych
silly words eh?
this is about 16 by 23. pans, softies and a copper acrylic border on Canson.
Sorry the keystoning by the camera made the border a wee bit askew.
I was after the "GESTURE" of the trees
These woods are on the side of my house. Derek

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/183894-diptych2.jpg

Dcam
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
ahhh that last one was a wee bit dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/183894-DIP3.jpg

*j9*
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
You've really captured a sense of movement in the leaves...one can almost hear them rustling. The copper outline gives a nice effect, too. It's quite handy to be inspired by the local lanscape. ;-)

Rockport123
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
You have great depth and movement, it's hard to get the pieces to relate to one another when doing a diptych. Your diptych flows effortlessly!!!!

Colorix
03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Another beautiful window! I really love your looser style! How did you start this? Images of beginning, do you have such, and if so, are you willing to show?

Donna T
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Two beautiful paintings in one! What a great idea the border is! How hard was it to make each half stand alone? I've never tried a diptych before and always think it must be kind of a challenge to make the two halves work as individual paintings. Congrats on this one, Derek!

sketchZ1ol
03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
hello
very fine :thumbsup:

stay with just the mat :
it's the one colour that's not obvious in the painting , but works so well !

maybe a value or so up , away from saturation , imho . :)

Ed

Dcam
03-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Yo "J" thanks so much.
Marlene: thanks....the branches help.
Charlie: see below and thanks.
Hi Donna: it was a challenge indeed. I appreciate it.:)
Hey ed. Thanks very much....no mat on this.

Ok here was my inspiration:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/183894-Char.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/183894-Char2.jpg
I've taken quite a few photos of this area at different seasons.

I took the best sections of the images and sketched them in two rectangles with pencil. I then washed blue acrylic in both rectangles. Acrylic mixed with pumice gel. (sky area). I then took a sea sponge and dabbed a few leafy textures on with acrylic (greens yellows and browns). This gave me something to bite into with my pastels as underpainting. I always like a roadmap. before I started in pastel, I sprayed the toned Canson paper with matte spray. I had to use painters tape to make a nice crisp border with the copper acrylic. I had to spray the canson so that it would receive the tape and not tear.
Cheers, Derek
I always have TOO much fun

Ruthie57
03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Great stuff DerekC! I've tried a diptych too, of woods. i wasn't that happy with one of them and then forgot. You've reminded me it may be worth going back to.

allydoodle
03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Beautiful work Derek! I love the light that you captured, great stuff!

Dcam
03-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Ruthie and Chris: Thanks good buddies:)

Derek

Katiepea
03-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Simply gorgeous! I'm incredibly jealous that you have such a beautiful landscape so close to your home.

bluefish
03-23-2013, 06:55 AM
another real beauty......would be a 'winner' as a single also.....Monday you can paint them with the fresh snow......ah, Spring!

'blue'....:wave:

Dougwas
03-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Great job on this, Derek! Great example of how to use a photo as inspiration and not just copy everything as it is. Thanks for sharing the process. Keep those experiments going. If you can't have fun, then why bother?:thumbsup:

Doug

John Palmer Fine Art
03-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Both really great Derek, I agree with Doug's take on this too.

Dcam
03-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks Katie.
hey Blue....get the shovel out for monday, thanks bro.
Doug and John, thanks so much, but on occasion, if I take a spectacular photo, I may go real close to it.:lol:

Derek

toniov
03-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Very beautiful work, Dcam. And beautiful choice of colors too.

Dcam
03-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Toniov: Thanks very much, Derek

pastel65
03-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Did you indicate that you used pan pastels? I just brought a small set to see if they would be easy to travel with to make quick sketches. Snow a possibility here in NJ Monday. Snow painting? Pam

Turpintine45
03-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Derek you are so lucky to have such inspiration outside your window. Another wonderful painting(s)! Watch your back with that shovel. That groundhog should be fired!!

Dcam
03-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey Jersey girl. Thanks. Yes I've done 3 major snow scenes this season Enuff already right?
Hey there Jen: thanks so much. We now pay guys to come and plow (and shovel). We get a great deal :)

Derek

Pam: the panpastels are great.

Dcam
03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Charlie: Where are you? I answered your question :lol: derek

Colorix
03-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Oh, thank you, Derek! Sorry I didn't come back before, I've been buried in an Annual General Meeting with before, during, and after tasks.

Cool, so that shiny border is on the actual paper, that's really pretty. Your way of giving texture is really smart, those sea sponges have that irregular texture that goes so well for leaves. The matte spray clearly works under pastels, or you wouldn't have done that. Brilliant, and thank you for explaining!

I've taken quite a few photos of this area at different seasons.

I took the best sections of the images and sketched them in two rectangles with pencil. I then washed blue acrylic in both rectangles. Acrylic mixed with pumice gel. (sky area). I then took a sea sponge and dabbed a few leafy textures on with acrylic (greens yellows and browns). This gave me something to bite into with my pastels as underpainting. I always like a roadmap. before I started in pastel, I sprayed the toned Canson paper with matte spray. I had to use painters tape to make a nice crisp border with the copper acrylic. I had to spray the canson so that it would receive the tape and not tear.
Cheers, Derek
I always have TOO much fun

Dcam
03-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Any time Charlie: You're welcome.
Derek

Theodorablau
03-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Derek, this is wonderful! All your forest scenes are beautiful, but this diptych is special!
Dorothea

Dcam
03-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Hi there Dorothea:
Thanks very much.
Derek

bnoonan
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey - who are you calling a dipstick? Truly wonderful. Another one that amazes me with all the details Derek.

Keep em coming!

Barb

Dcam
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey Good Buddy, West Coast Arteest Nooners!!!
Thanks so much.
derek