PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Friday 22nd March 2012***

doppler
03-22-2013, 03:25 AM
It's down to me then ? :lol:

hope Geoff is sleeping, Peter is eating breakfast, and all else are slumbering before a wonderful day, or reclining after a wonderful day :thumbsup:

Work went busily and quickly, shopping done, some half hearted floor sweeping done .... that can wait until tomorrow as can the washing.

BBL after getting dinner prepared. :wave:

Yorky
03-22-2013, 03:41 AM
Good morning all from snowy West Lancashire!

We are forecast to have snow all day, could be 4-6 inches :eek:

If this is global warming ..... !

Now we are told the UK is running short of gas :rolleyes:

My grandson Alexander is 10 today, we sent present home with Peter when he last visited.

Nancy posted a picture of violets yesterday :eek: They are the bane of my life and have crept all over the rockery choking out many of the tender alpines. They have noe respect for other plants.

Doug

shipbroker
03-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Morning all......

No I am not sleeping...I didn't get the seven hours but wasn't too bad.....I was up before 6am and set off to Bradford but we have gales and radio said Leeds Bradford Airport closed with snow...and as I had to pass it I turned around and came back.................may still go on caravan rally later if weather doesn't worsen this side.......

geoff

Yorky
03-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Very wise Geoff, you don't want to skid with your caravan in tow.

Doug

laudesan
03-22-2013, 04:26 AM
:wave:

I went for a bike ride this afternoon, came home, picked up a pair of scissors I have in my studio to cut a cable tie end off something, and cut open the heal of my thumb with said scissors. Boy oh boy, are those scissors sharp, and boy oh boy does it hurt. :D

Hugs to all.... just because............

doppler
03-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Hi Doug. I think it's called climate change caused by global warming. Extremes get more extreme. Just seen that the northern part of the South Island of NZ is also drought declared. There have been tornados along the Murray river in Victoria with much destruction.

English violets don't stand a chance here but the native violet is an invasive and welcome delight.:thumbsup:

Geoff :wave:

JJ ... Clumsy :eek:(((())))

shipbroker
03-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Sori......still believe that we are in the latter stages of an ice age......yes climate change no global warming...at least not in Northern Hemisphere!

In Alaska where people go to watch glaciers melting there are new ones being formed higher up and in some case 50 to 100ft of new ice a year on top of existing glaciers......

OK Mount Nebo may have its own eco-climate...something to do with the cats??

geoff

doppler
03-22-2013, 04:42 AM
Just blessedly cooler than Brisbane , Geoff.

Cats are asleep . :)

cloudchaser
03-22-2013, 05:07 AM
Good day to all,

A cold ,breezy start to friday here, snow forcast for tomorrow, where are you spring:clear:?

Will be off to work soon for a bit of chainsawing in customer's garden. Got a tree stump out of ground last week, now needs cutting up for logs. Rose pruning to do too today, spikey things those:eek:

Hope you all have/had a good day:thumbsup:
Keep safe all those with heavy snowfall
Had a chap from a window replacement firm come yesterday to measure up our old lean-to conservatory ,which is wood frame and a felt roof , to replace it with Upvc frameing and a new door. The old lean-to has been there since we moved into the house in 1982, and is showing signs of rotting in places. I should think it will cost plenty bucks but will make a nicer area, with more light for painting:clap:

(((((white light))))) to all in poor health today:heart:

regards
Tony:wave:

Scene Chaser
03-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Good Day All,

((JJ)) Put some New Zealand honey on the wound to avoid infection.

It snowed yesterday, so hopefully none today.

Sooo waiting for spring to come. Perhaps next week.

This turkey is too big to perch on the feeder but there's no harm in trying.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/83119-turkey_feeder.JPG

I'm in-between sleeps.
Bill

shipbroker
03-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Weather no worse here and do know some caravans on move..however, the forecast is for significant snowfall so abandoning this weekend totally. Just been in contact with the people who are running our Scottish event starting Thursday and the ground there is presently flooded!!.....so that may get a kick too.......

OK not humour and not painting but if anyone has about 20 minutes to spare a guided tour by the departing lady captain of the International Space Station is certainly interesting,
http://www.youtube.com/embed/doN4t5NKW-k

geoff

laudesan
03-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Thank you for the hugs. Man, those scissors are sharp. They are new, an heavy duty. They sliced through my thumb, easier than my kitchen scissors cut through chicken. :eek: I am feeling sorry for myself, thumb is throbbing..

Bill, I put iodine on it right away.. Love your photo.

My cats are snoring on my sofa, they have half pushed me off.

Patricia Cornwall, here I come.............

CharM
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Good morning... it's definitely not Spring weather here... we have a little snow on the ground and it's just cold. Well, not really, it's -5C... I just want it to be warmer. The swans have returned and are huddled by the thousands on the iced over lake across the road. Oh! We did see two robins yesterday, too... we live in hope... :)

Kitties have been fed. Skittles hasn't had his meds yet, but he will shortly. It takes two of us because he objects to having stuff shoved in his mouth. Go figure, eh? Ted's made a quick run to Canadian Tire to buy the "Door Crasher Special" which is a weed trimmer that he's been wanting... When he returns home, poor Skitty gets the treatment...

I have some Service Club stuff to do today. And I'll get my group of new Students added on to my email Distribution List. I have a set of documents that I send out rather than print them myself... i.e. Where to buy art materials locally, how to make your own graphite paper, etc.

Then, I shall work on my little turtle painting. I'll get some flourless cookies baked and may need to put another loaf of bread in the oven.

Hi Annie... I'm glad your work week ended on a more positive note than you'd anticipated...

Doug and Geoff... it doesn't matter whether we call it Global Warming or Climate Change... Our world is forever different.

So this would probably be a good time to remind everyone that tomorrow is Earth Day (http://www.earthday.org/).

Geoff, are you using aspartame sweetened beverages or foods? If so, it could be what's aggravating your muscle spasms...

((JJ)) Don't run with them... :p (be careful of infection)

Hi Tony... you've got some heavy work ahead of you today... renovations on your lean-to sound nice, too...

Bill... what a handsome fellow he is! When we went out yesterday, a pair of them flew up and over our truck... It seems funny to see them flying, eh?

Okey dokey... Husband has pulled into the driveway... it's time to get some stuff done... I hope your day is the best possible!

olliewood0702
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Happy FRIDAY......finally....:D

And not a moment too soon. It isn't bad enough that I had stomach issues yesterday but awoke with a headache today. I feel like my neck is stiff; don't know if I wrestled with my pillow during the night or what.:confused: I just took some ibuprofen and it's starting to work.

I don't know what to believe...ice age or global warming. Spring is not here yet but hoping that it'll arrive next week sometime.

They aren't calling for seeing any sun this weekend ....ahh wish I had one of those lamps. Sitting next to my daylight lamp on my art table though might help a bit...plus then I get painting time in.:thumbsup:

Larry got home a little after 7pm last night from his trip to pick up a part in a northern city. We had dinner with the two girls then he took them home. Tonight he'll have to go to bed early as he's working 5am-1pm both Saturday and Sunday. He'll be glad to get next Friday (Good Friday) through the weekend off. I don't get Good Friday off.

I still haven't decided on what is on the menu for Easter dinner but I'm starting to plan. I've been on a special diet this past week seeing if I can get my IBS under control. It was recommended by JJ and is called the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). No carbs or processed foods, sugar, flour. SOOO.....if I bake something for dessert for Easter I won't be able to partake. But it'll all be worth it if I lose some weight AND get the IBS under control.:smug: I still make things for the others to enjoy though.

I'm planning on getting some quality painting time in this weekend. I really should clean my house but Larry has said "no you paint; I'll clean the house on Friday for you." Aww....he's the BEST!:heart: I will have laundry to do and bathrooms to spiff up a bit; plus Monday is a co-worker's birthday so will have to bake something for her.

I hope you all have a GREAT FRIDAY!

BBL:wave: :heart:

Strawberry Wine
03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Good DayWashers !

I just finished a rather lengthy post and POOF gone.... so this is going to be a very much shortened version.

Indoor tropicals , mandevilla and bougainvillia are starting to bloom so it feels like Spring indoors

Outdoors - Blue skies - 2 C 3 inches of snow overnight. but it is pretty !

Heading to Newmarket this afternoon with the thoracic surgeon for my 6 week post op check up and the results of all the lymph node tests. Hopefully, we will know just what and where we are going and what the next steps are.

Char, glad Skittles is a tad better . What kind of microwave did you purchase?

Darla, make something for dessert that you can eat too ! Do you drink lactose free products and take the tablets when eating dairy. I find they help a lot when IBS flairs up even if you are not lactose intolerant. I also take digestive enzymes from time to time as well.

OUch on the thumb JJ. You gotta slow down and pay attention to what you are doing especially when you are holding something SHARP !

Geoff, hope you get more sleep tonight.

Well, I need to get showered and dressed. Gillian is coming with us so we will pick her up on the way down. We are going to stop at the Mall (shudder) and get a couple of things, get a bite to eat, then to the clinic for the chest xray and finally around the corner to the surgeon's office for 3:00 p.m.

Will fill you in later.

Cheers,

Gail

shipbroker
03-22-2013, 09:56 AM
It isn't snowing here...nor is it on the rally field 25 miles away...but I am going to play safe and not go anywhere....

Geoff, are you using aspartame sweetened beverages or foods? If so, it could be what's aggravating your muscle spasms...

If I am the Geoff you are talking to Char, the answer is no....I don't do things like fizzy drinks......water,tea and rarely coffee without any sweetners are my main tipple.....foods we have very little pre-prepared food in total...
Thanks anyway..

geoff

Scene Chaser
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Char, I have a short video of Ms. Feral chasing the turkeys just to get them to fly. She is hilarious. Don't know how to show it to anyone, though.

The turkeys perch high in the trees of my woods. They clamber up the trees a couple branches at a time. But, one morning I was able to watch them glide gracefully down to land in single file and walk out of the woods. Beautiful!
Bill

Flattwo
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi to All

Snowing here with a freezing wind Brrrr

Geoff, I watched the first show (what do artists do all day) on HD showing Norman Ackroyd produce one of his etchings on copper, very interesting, he loves the Shetland Isles

Bill, do you eat these turkeys at thanks giving?

Here is a link to some interesting photos of Scotland from the Scottish Tourist website http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151552659196468&set=a.10150089191481468.311767.334250391467&type=1&theater

Doug, you will remember this view of Glencoe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/3457-622054_10151290042706468_1697766351_o1.jpg

Speak later

Henry

Uschi
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

I have been poodling around and finally had my shower at almost 11:00 a.m.:lol:

Weatherwise we are still in the minus territory, dull today, yesterday was a continuous snow/sun, snow/sun etc.

I did go and play scrabble yesterday afternoon, four of us there, it was nice. Apart from banana bread which I load with masses of healthy stuff I don't bake anymore because I can do without all the sugar BUT the scrabble hostess is a fantastic baker and offers all these goodies EVERY Time (sigh).

Playing table tennis today and then on the way home major grocery shopping. And that's all the excitement for my day.

Gail :crossfingers: :crossfingers: for the best results possible under the circumstances:crossfingers: :crossfingers: and :heart:

Char, lots of petting from me for Skiddles. You and Ted are soooo good to these animals:heart: I hope Ted got what he was looking for.

Geoff, the caravaner:evil: :) I am wondering, have you ever tried to drink a pint of herbal tea while having your bath vs. the thick British brew??? Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with your problems with sleeping.

Darla, if I had a kind and thoughtful husband like yours, I would still be married:lol:

Bill, I have never seen a wild turkey that close up, quite good looking and very ambitious. You know, when everything is said and done, the wild animals must be so hungry at this point in time, it really is kind of mean to put food out which they cannot get at. I am not talking about you only, we all do it and many times I really feel kind of bad about it.

(((((((((((((JJ))))))))))))))) Take good care of your wound and sorry it hurts so much.

Tony, hard work and money BUT it will look beautiful!!

My vote - ice age for a different part of the world.

Doug, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Alexander!! So far we have three 10 year old grandsons - your Alexander, Sylvia's Atticus and my Ethan. It is amazing how quickly they develop around this age.

Hi Annie!!!!

:wave: to all yet to come!!! and :grouphug: to those of you not feeling well!!

Uschi

JudyL
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Kids have come and went, DD annoyed, while filling out a form for an 8th grade permission slip for a trip to Disneyland, found out that they needed cash or a MONEY ORDER? do they still have those and why not accept a check? It's a first come first served and the boy is not great at giving out information. :rolleyes:

The crew will be here after school the girl + bf the boy + best friend, it must be pizza friday.

Using the self cleaning oven for the first time, BOY IS IT STINKY! Going up to take a shower

later

Strawberry Wine
03-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Before I head out the door,

Would love to see that video Bill, I think you need to put it on you tube first and then provide us with a link. But I may be wrong. Someone will be along to help.

Uschi, thanks ! I have been seeing flocks of wild turkeys in the corn fields eating up the leftover bits. They love bird feeders as well because so much seed is scattered onto the ground. so the more we fill our feeders the more is on the ground for the turkeys, rabbits, and yucky squirrels too.

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

kaypainter
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Just a quick one from me as I have to get packed up for jewelry class (didn't do it yesterday :rolleyes: ). Yesterday I stripped down the bed and took everything over to the laundromat then back and put the bed back together. Exhausted afterward. Left the comforter off the bed and put the blanket on instead because I thought -- spring -- it's only going to get warmer. Hah! Didn't get around to putting the thing away luckily, so it's going back on the bed. Howling winds last night. Heard it got up to 83 mph through some of the canyons. :eek:

First of all want to thank everyone for their lovely comments about my jewelry. Thank you so much. Doug I especially like how you described them as "organic." I must remember that. Must make people think I planned them that way. :D Actually for awhile now I've just been taking an "I wonder what would happen if . . . " attitude. What you see are the happy accidents. The unhappy accidents are consigned to the "think bin." I leave them in a plastic tub in case I might come up with an idea for them. :rolleyes: No, I don't throw anything away. I can't bear it. I guess all those years of worrying about every penny have made me reluctant to throw anything away. Yep, a regular hoarder. I need to work on that.

So now I must get going.

:wave: :wave: to everyone and HAWLTAIN

Kay

CharM
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Taking a lunch break... I had some yummy chicken soup in the fridge and warmed it up. On a day like today, it's comfort food.

Ted didn't get what he wanted, but he came home with some kind of saw that's being discontinued... it was on sale for $29 down from $119. He's thrilled. It's a man-toy. *smirk*

We have a flock of jays vying for position at the suet feeders. The cardinals have been eating just as voraciously on their seed tray. The little downey woodpecker is almost overwhelmed by the bigger birds. Doesn't phase the juncos and chickadess, though... :lol:

It's true, Uschi... once we start to feed them, it's our responsibility to continue.

The wild turkeys down here have been nearly hunted out. It makes me a little angry because they are NOT good meat birds. Their breast meat is minimal and they can be quite tough because of all the exercise they get.

My computer work is nearly finished... and I have bread rising and yogurt *activating*... cookies are next... then my little turtle.

Geoff... yes, it was you that I was thinking of. A friend sent me a note saying that when she stopped using aspartame, her cramping went away. You, my friend, are a complete mystery!

What a beautiful photo, Henry! The mountains look as though they're cloaked in green velvet.

((Darla)) I sure hope your headache has eased...

((Gail)) You've been in my thoughts and :crossfingers: for a good report. You know we feed the squirrels... :lol: Sorry Sylvia...

Hi Kay... even viewing it online, your jewelry looks very tactile... I want to touch it.

Judy, in the five years we've had this stove, I've only used the self-clean feature twice! :lol: Kids, eh?

Time to put the bread in the oven to bake...

shipbroker
03-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Uschi.......have tried and not liked herbal teas, do have green sometimes when crusing and love jasmine...no I will stick to my body flusher as is thanks!

One year ago today it was 21C here and drought forecast.......it is overcast and snow forecast again but it hasn't come..

geoff

Scene Chaser
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Henry, these turkeys are hunted for food and eaten at Thanksgiving. They are the original turkey from which the hybrid white ones come. They can roast up quite dry unless they are brined and basted properly.
Your photo reminds me of J. Fletcher Watson’s landscape paintings.

Uschi, the turkeys (twelve of them) come every day on their rounds to clean up what has been dropped to the ground by other birds. This bird was just perching.

Kay, sorry but I never got around to complementing you on the wonderfully creative jewelry. You have a remarkable talent. BTW, when can we start seeing “Moonbound 24”?

I pickled eggs for the first time yesterday and they turned out delicious. Also, baked two loaves of bread. Here’s my lunch today.
Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2013/83119-Pickled_eggs.JPG

Yorky
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
A work of art Bill.

Yes Henry a wonderful view along Glen Coe with the Three Sisters on the left.

Pigeons will set the bird feeder swinging so it spills seed on the ground, occasionally they dislodge the feeder altogether,

I envy your wide range of birds that come through your garden Char.

Doug

LynnM
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
:wave: Hello! I wrote a concise message this AM and then the taxi came and I forgot to hit 'post'! So will just say

((((JJ))))

Handsome turkey and lunch, Bill, the gourmet cook! Never had a turkey at my feeder in the country, but lots of gold finches, an indigo bunting, and others. The best, though, were the wood ducks that nested in the trees behind my cabin. You live in bird paradise, Bill!

Lovely shot of Glencoe, Henry, when I saw it it was not nearly so green, June of 2008.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: Gail!

All the best to everyone else, have a rewarding day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Europa
03-22-2013, 02:10 PM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!!

Finally some good news...Mum had her cataract op this afternoon...just go back from the hospital...she can see an improvement already though a bit blurry....have taken the right lens out of her spectacles.

She said sbe didn't even realise he had done anything to her eye till it was all over so that bodes well for the next one.

k off for a cuppa.....we were lucky the roads were ok despite the driving snow.

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

Yorky
03-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Good news Pat, Winnie will feel better now it is over.

Doug

shipbroker
03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Good news Pat & Winnie........it is so simple an operation yet gives so much thereafter...my Mam found that the room she had lived in for 6 years had a pattern on the carpet.......good luck with her other problems.

Snow not back yet...feel a bit of a fraud...

geoff

p.s. Glencoe.......I always feel cold there even on a sunny day Henry.....as a MacDonald I suppose!

Flattwo
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Pat, glad to hear that Winnie had the op, it takes a few days for the eye to adjust, my mother had the same operation.

Bill, nice looking lunch, you will never starve with a constant food source in your garden! I used to eat pickled eggs out of the chip shop along with a deep fried black pudding supper, usually after a night out at the pub!

Henry

StewGold
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Love the lunch plate; and the wild turkey.

As for Glencoe, I do hate you for that picture. I'd guess I've been there 6~8 times a year for a good 40 years and have never, never, never ever seen that view. It's always been thick cloud cover about 50 foot above the road; I must be some terrible bad highland spirit,lol.

Oooh, I love the jewelry as well.

Just getting ready to be very silly in Perth tomorrow. Playing "Godzilla Ate Las Vegas" and despite the age and build, am not playing "Fat Elvis" Let's hope the snooo isn;t too bad

Leslie

CharM
03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
So glad that your Mom is really doing well, Pat! :heart:

laudesan
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
I've been on a special diet this past week seeing if I can get my IBS under control. It was recommended by JJ and is called the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). No carbs or processed foods, sugar, flour. SOOO.....if I bake something for dessert for Easter I won't be able to partake. But it'll all be worth it if I lose some weight AND get the IBS under control.:smug: I still make things for the others to enjoy though.:heart: :thumbsup: Go buy some blanched almonds, and grind them up. Make some muffins. If there aren't any in the lot of recipes I gave you, I will send you a recipe. :heart:

I had apple pancakes for breakfast! Yum! Blanched almonds and dried apples I made myself chopped up. You have delicious meals to look forward to.

((((Skittles))))

OUch on the thumb JJ. You gotta slow down and pay attention to what you are doing especially when you are holding something SHARP You're telling me. :p That fleshy part of my thumb is technicoloured now. I do have a special bandaid on it to aid healing and keep out infection. (((((Gail))))) I hope your test results go well. :heart:

Bill, I would love to see your video. Can you not load it up on utube then post here using Doug's instructions in the Help thread ...

Henry, gorgeous scenery.

Uschi, scrabble is fun eh!! I play online, wish I had a few more friends to play with, I am addicted! :D

Bill your lunch is making my mouth water!!!!!!

(((((Pat and Nan)))))

later