PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Thursday March 21 2013****

Lulu
03-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Hoping for blue ears lol
Oh I missed out......drat:wink2:

Hello! fabulous day in Paradise again! Cooler daytime temps now, got to 24C today, very comfortable. Busy day, will be again tomorrow. Have got an early start, someone is coming to put a cat-door in at 8 am:eek: better be out of my jarmies by then lol

Yorky
03-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Good morning Lulu and all to follow.

You can come out now Geoff, you're safe! :lol:

Art class this morning followed by Ruth's physio this afternoon.

Doug

doppler
03-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Worky day in Paradise here.

Got home from the great Mordor and was COLD. So shrugged on a cardigan.

Cat doors here let in possums and snakes, Lulu, so human openers and closers and erstwhile controllers are essential.Both brats are out enjoying the cool evening now.

One more day to go :thumbsup:

Doug :wave: and the suddenly shy Geoff, or maybe sleeping better Geoff :thumbsup: :wave:

Lulu
03-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Hi Doug:wave:

Cat doors here let in possums and snakes, Lulu, thumbsup:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

No worries about snakes Annie, but will definitely be locked at night against possums or even other cats!! But will (hopefully) stop this constant in/out windows and doors carry on in the winter months.
Oh, someone asked what we are doing with the cats while we are away......have booked them into the cattery just around the corner. Used to take dogs there so know the place well, and know that the cats will be well looked after.:thumbsup:

Holiday preparations have begun in earnest.........much to do......

Yorky
03-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Well, I'm up!

Sun is shining from a clear blue sky but it is still hovering around freezing :rolleyes:

This March is going on record as the coldest ever. I think they have overdone the carbon dioxide reduction, we are heading for another ice age :eek:

Doug

doppler
03-21-2013, 03:41 AM
I was going to ask Lulu. The brats will be looked after and no doubt you have looker afterers for your farm who are probably not at their best calling out for the disobedient felines.

Yes, mine are are in and gourmandizing. Their breaksleep tomorrow will be sparse. I really have run out of cat food :eek: One tiny tin left. Got the grits but .... that is really down on luck stuff without gravy.

Suffer kitties. Providoring tomorrow after work. then housework.:cool: JOY! ::lol:

Lulu
03-21-2013, 03:55 AM
I was going to ask Lulu. The brats will be looked after and no doubt you have looker afterers for your farm who are probably not at their best calling out for the disobedient felines.

Would you believe Annie, I will miss them so much, and having them in the cattery is the only way I won't worry about them! :heart:

doppler
03-21-2013, 04:02 AM
I do believe Lulu :heart:

shipbroker
03-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Morning all.......

I did have a look in about 0600 but thought better of it Doug!

Well I don't know what the secret of 7 hours sleep is but I had another one last night....I might have even managed another short sleep but Eileen demanded that I get some turkey thigh out of the freezer so she could make some curry for tomorrow in the caravan!!

Anyway, was up and dressed and out into town by 0715 and it is a lovely but cold morning with a heavy frost remaining....however, sun is strong and hope that frost will go quickly...Tomorrow will have to be away early as taking my caravan down into West Yorkshire,Bradford, for its annual service.

geoff

Yorky
03-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Well I don't know what the secret of 7 hours sleep is but I had another one last night
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Doug

Doris345
03-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Hello washers,
Hi Lulu, Doug, Annie, Geoff.

I just finished looking at the newly bumped "Just Where Do You Live?" thread with the wonderful photos of everyone's houses. Then I read Annie's comments on snakes and possums, which did not seem to faze her at all, but for me it was a momentary bit of 'eek'. I am now thinking how different we all are, and yet so close, what a big, diverse world we live in - and how small it really is. We come from all over, and we are all here, sharing our lives and our passion, making friends, helping and supporting each other. Loving and caring. Wow.

I am honored to be your friend.

Doris

Yorky
03-21-2013, 04:26 AM
(((Doris))) and we think of you living in your towering apartment block in the heart of new York with a view of the Empire State Building :heart:

What a wonderful community this is.

Doug

Lulu
03-21-2013, 04:46 AM
What a wonderful community this is.

Doug

Sure is! :heart:

And when we meet each other in reality for the first time it's like we have known each other for a long long time....:thumbsup:

Doris, we have never been to the US mainland, (only Hawaii), can only imagine what living in New York must be like....
Who knows, I might get to see it one day, but I might run out before my bucket-list runs out lol
And the thought of snakes give me more than a momentary eek.........:eek:
Don't have any in NZ.

Glad you had another good sleep Geoff, long may it continue! Will gladly collect kewpies or risk blue ears to grant you that! :D

shipbroker
03-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Funny I never had any great desire to visit USA and neither did Eileen, however, a couple of years ago she spent a half-term in New York with Claire and loved it.......and following our Alaskan cruise and the many people we met I could appreciate the big country better now......Think Canada again , probabaly overland?,is more likely though and the bucket-list for Oz & NZ looks like not happening in the near future..

Electrician here now so must away.....

geoff

Lulu
03-21-2013, 05:19 AM
On my nearer to home bucket list is to go to Hobbiton, about 20 mins from where we live, which to my shame, I haven't been to yet! :eek: Yes, Doug! :p Costs quite a bit, but am repeatedly told that it is well worth the money. Bil said not to go though until things have greened up again, to see the scenery at its best.
Oooo, just had a thought, wonder if it's on Street View?? probably not lol

Off to bed, nite nite (Got to practise going to be earlier and earlier, the family get up around 5.30 for school start at 7.30 am :eek: Still the middle of the night to me! lol :wave:

Yorky
03-21-2013, 05:25 AM
The entrance is on Street View (http://goo.gl/maps/Nonzt) Lulu but i found it difficult to find at first.

Doug

Lulu
03-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Yes, have driven past it Doug. Might need a driver if I'm going to sample the local brew lol

olliewood0702
03-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Happy THursday Washers,

I'm here at work; feeling not so well. Had a horrible stomachache last evening and night. Ran to the bathroom...still feeling drained.(literally):rolleyes: Not a pleasant night am tired as can be expected. I hope today goes well...or I might end up leaving for home early.:crossfingers: I don't know if I have a "bug" or what.

It's cloudy, COLD, windy and raw. UGH....Spring seems so far away. They are calling tomorrow for temps in the 30'sF. :confused: WOW.... and Cloudy at least through Saturday. I WANT SUN!!!

Doris, yes that is a great thread; puts a place to a face/name for us. I like to visit that thread occasionally. What a vast variety of houses and places hey?

Like LuLu said, when we meet it just feels like we've know each other all our lives. WetCanvas artists are some of the BEST PEOPLE in the world. I love this place.:heart:

LuLU, how did a country get snake-less? It's surprising someone hasn't introduced them to NZ. I'm glad they didn't but it's just strange with Australia having tons (poisonious too!) of them but tripical NZ doesn't. Lucky you because I HATE them!

There was a picture on Facebook about a HUGE spider being found in a home in Manchester, England!:eek: It says the owners called the fire brigade and they wouldn't touch it and they got a spider expert. I don't know if it's real or not but we fly into Manchester! I HATTTTE spiders.(and snakes) I don't believe most of what's on Facebook anyway.:thumbsup:

We don't have a kitty door; like others I'd be too afraid of critters making their way in.

I hope you all have a GREAT DAY and perhaps get a chance to wet your brushes a bit.

BBL:wave: :heart:

Strawberry Wine
03-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Good Day Everyone from beautiful blue skies but still frigid - 7 C Island Grove. Temperatures on the plus side during the day and dippping below O at night are expected well into the first week of April. We still have several everywhere but the driveway.

Geoff, :thumbsup: on 7 hours once agan... Hope you can make a three peat.

Made som sticky buns and regular sandwich buns yesterday so the freezer is stocked. I have a cupboard that is above the built in wall oven that contains dry goods such as rice, pasta, and various other containers that is on my agenda to clean out today. I want to finish the front of the Irish Knit Sweater that is the same pattern as Uschi's today and start on the last sleeve. I really want to be able to wear it this spring.:) so I better get cracking.

Doris, I love that "thread" ! We are an amazing community. Lulu, you are absolutely right. When we meet IRL it truly is like we have know each other for years and years. Will head to that thread is a moment.

Doug said This March is going on record as the coldest ever. I think they have overdone the carbon dioxide reduction, we are heading for another ice age

Doug, we have been reading more and more about the changes to our earth attributed to natural warming and cooling patterns. I am not sure how recently, but the bones of a prehistoric camel were discovered on Baffin Island and earlier still dinosaurs lived there in a forest environment.

Char, how is Skittles this morning ?

Lulu, I board Pearl at the nearby breeders when we can't take her on a trip with us. Family have offered to take her but doors and gates can get left open, dogs and cats can escape, and run out onto roads and I would not want friends or family to feel responsible. She is safest at the breeders, she likes it there, and I don't worry about her at all

Darla, sounds like you may have eaten something that disagreed with you. If so, you should start feeling better quickly. I wouldn't try to put too much more than liquids into your tummy for most of today though.

Not a lot happening here at this time of year pretty much same stuff different day but that will change as soon as the snow melts a
and we have green grass again.

Cheers to all,

Gail

Uschi
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!

The sun is shining brightly and at the same time it is snowing:lol: Temperature wise we are still in the below freezing territory.

Nothing much planned for today, maybe scrabble.

re Kitty-door, I'd prefer seeing/receiving their "gifts" outside the front door rather than inside:eek:

Doris, you are so right, wonderful community!!

Geoff, 7 hours, WOOHOO!!!

Doug, So glad you got your computer woes fixed.

Darla, whatever is causing it, I hope it is done with quickly!!

Kay, LOVED your pendant!!!!!

I am starving so will go and enjoy my oatmeal/blueberry/almond/flaxseed/milk mixture:thumbsup:

:wave: to ALL!!!

Uschi

painterbear
03-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just after 9:00 a.m. on a bright, sunny but chilly morning here in Oakwood. Feels more like Fall than Spring. We even had snow in some of the towns around us (but none fell in Oakwood ;) ). Unfortunately, the forecast for Sunday is looking a bit scary...possibility of 3" to 7" of snow if the weather pattern stays the way it is looking right now. :eek:

Class went well yesterday. As usual with real beginners, getting the paint to water ratio somewhat right seems to be one of the hardest parts of the day for some of them. Next week we will paint a color wheel and discuss color. Hopefully by then they will practice a bit at home and get the paint mixes a bit better.

Hope to do some work on my Cougar later today. He is looking at me accusingly for neglecting him since Monday from his position on my book shelf. ;)

Darla, Hope you feel better as the day goes by. I saw the picture of that spider on FB too. Imagine coming across that in real life and wondering if he had any relatives hiding somewhere in your house. :eek:

Doris, I enjoyed a stroll down memory lane this morning too. It is fun seeing where people live and revisiting with some of the oldsters who no longer are with us for one reason or another. Hope some of the newcomers will add their photos and tell us where they live too. I agree with you about what a BIG far flung "family" we've become here.

Uschi, I agree with you about kitty or doggie doors. Fortunately we don't need either kind since we don't have a pet. :D

Geoff, Maybe your sleep patterns are beginning to change for the better. :thumbsup: on the 7 hours sleep.

Lulu, I think it is funny how those little furkids have embedded themselves in your heart so quickly. Hope your own humankids don't think they are getting them back if they return to NZ some time in the future. ;)

Geoff and Lulu, If you ever do plan a visit to the U.S., I hope you realize each area of the country has its own distinct feel. The East Coast is totally different from the West Coast, the North is distinct from the South, the mid-West is a world apart from both coasts and Texas is a world unto itself. :lol: So even people who come as tourists and only visit one area really can't say they have seen the country. During our time in the AF, we've managed to live in several of these different milieus, so I know whereof I speak. ;)

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

LynnM
03-21-2013, 09:43 AM
:wave: Good day all! bright sun here too, but chilly. Got a reprieve from the Gallery today as they want me two days next week.....feels like a holiday! I am stuffing my Pocket Puppy, got to the head and realized I needed some eyes, so it will be a week or so before I can finish it. Could just embroider them, but I like the safety eyes you can get, they will be easier to see through the 'fur'.

Great Geoff, that you had another good night! If you come to Canada, maybe there's another Ontario meet coming up!

Darla, what are you doing at work :eek: (shaking finger icon needed) I know you don't want to spoil your great attendance record, but...... I hope it clears up quickly :heart:

You must be still glowing after your table tennis achievements, Uschi, I'll bet you are still smiling!

I'll have to look at that "where do you live" thread again, too, it is fascinating!

I checked that link, Doug, the entrance isn't very indicative of the contents of the site, is it!

Buns sound great, Gail, I am looking for a source of SWG flour (sprouted whole grain) which is the ultimate in healthy eating, apparently. Then I hope to make some bread too.

Hi Doris, Annie, Sylvia and all to come! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

shipbroker
03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Afernoon all........

Bright and cold however more snow due and I have a couple of long trips with caravan tomorrow!

Sleep, yes the luxury of it all.......seven hours.......My pattern of life appears little different, I bathe for an hour usually from 9pm listening to Classic FM, take my evening pills with a mug of tea....play a little solitaire on iPod in bed whilst listening to Alice Cooper on Planet Rock........Ok so I have somewhat catholic music tastes overall......!

Electrican been and gone....some dud switches in garage seems to have been prime cause of tripping and he repaced my immersion heater switch as well which hasn't worked in months.

Been for a wander through 10 pages of the 'where do you live site' again...great insite into environments,must start at beginning some time.

geoff

Flattwo
03-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi to All

Not quite paradise here in the middle of town, more like paludose, with the continual snow, rain and sleet! Freezing wind here, cuts right through you.

I'm off for a paseo to my drawing board to discover what my imagination will conjure up

Speak later

Henry

Lulu
03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Lulu, I think it is funny how those little furkids have embedded themselves in your heart so quickly. Hope your own humankids don't think they are getting them back if they return to NZ some time in the future. ;)

Yes, my friends think it's funny too! having never been a 'cat person'. But of course these are not just ordinary moggies......;)

Darla, New Zealand is not tropical, snakes could not survive the cold - thanks be to God! lol
Weather conditions differ depending on which part of the country you are in. The north of the North Island is sub-tropical with warm humid weather. The south of the South Island, on the other hand, is the first port of call for Antarctic blasts. This unique climate makes New Zealand one of the most picturesque and diverse countries in the world alpine ranges, tropical rainforests and golden beaches, all in one compact place!

And so Sylvia, each area of our country has it's own dinstinct feel and look, on a much smaller scale of course!

Man here to do the cat-door. Yes I know the risks of 'gifts' but the positives outweigh the negatives, and I can lock it!

Better go and look busy lol

New Gamboge
03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone -we finally got the netting over the new duck enclosure - which was necessary after the eagle got one - so DD and SIL don't have to spend the day outdoors protecting everyone! Although SIL spends most time outside anyway. However, they can now go to the mainland as I wouldn't be outside protecting the ducks.

Lynn- DD sprouts her grains, then dehydrates them, and we grind them for flour (on the exercise bike) - she has also got her own sour dough starter, and the rye bread she makes is wonderful.

Lulu - we have rattlesnakes in Canada (not yet here on the Island), so cold is no deterrent. We used to have a cat door in a small house we rented in Vancouver - came home one day, quietly, to find a cat party going on in our kitchen -as soon as our cats saw me, they immediately chased their firends out. And at a different house, when I was pregnant, our cat used to jump to the top of the 6 ft fence, and be in the house with a gartner snake before I could even get out of my chair. I don't like snakes, but had to catch them and put them outside as I didn't want they to hide in the house. I guess that's why my DD has always liked snakes!

Geoff (or anyone else) if you ever find the secret to sleeping though the night, please let me know.

Grainne's art gallery looks wonderful. Reminds me, has anyone heard how Jaytee's gallery is doing? HAWLTAIN. Betty

olliewood0702
03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh, thanks for the info, LuLu. We have sub-zero weather here and STILL have snakes. They hibernate! EWW... perhaps someday I'll get to visit your beautiful country...which I've read about in many places is one of the most beautiful places on earth.:thumbsup:

I'm feeling a little better this afternoon. I've been sipping hot tea all afternoon; keeping it light.;)

Larry went into work and they wanted a volunteer to drive about 5 hours north to pick up a part; so he volunteered! He won't be home until around 7-8pm.

It's been spitting some flurries this afternoon and still windy. Hurry up Spring!

The girls will be there when I get home so I'd best think about what's for dinner. sigh.....sometimes I just don't want to..:confused:

Henry, I saw this article on MSN's website; an interesting read.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/21/17402344-remember-september-scotland-sets-date-to-vote-on-independence-from-uk?lite

Well, best start cleaning up my desk and thinking about the journey home. I hope you all have a good evening/afternoon.:wave:

FLNH
03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Beautiful 70s sunny day in Coral Gables. I have never met anyone else on WC IRL but would love to,in NH or Miami. Just PM me.

I wish I had more interesting news but a boring life is OK. The excitement around here is we are having buckwheat with porcini mushrooms as an accompaniment to cold chicken.

We did have company for a few days, people we met on a cruise. They enjoyed the Cuban and Peruvian food as well as all the green in Coral Gables. Who says you can't impress people from New York City?.

HAWLTAIN including everyone's fur kids.

I don't mind snakes or alligators or iguanas but the 100,000 Burmese pythons in the (nearby) Everglades do creep me out.

Lulu
03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Oh, thanks for the info, LuLu. We have sub-zero weather here and STILL have snakes. They hibernate! EWW... perhaps someday I'll get to visit your beautiful country...which I've read about in many places is one of the most beautiful places on earth.:thumbsup:

Darla, (and your Larry), if you ever do come, know that there will be a very warm welcome awaiting you. :heart:

Okay, snakes survive the cold........so the only other answer is that they've never be introduced! tbtG again! lol Although I did read somewhere that there are sea snakes, but not sure about that.

Cat door is in, let the wildlife party begin!:lol: :eek: :lol:

Karl, no one's life is ever boring. It's nice to see you in the Wash.

Betty, no problems for me to have 7-9 hours sleep at night, I have no secret either, but I turn off computer, tv, cellphones etc, well before bedtime, (the light from computers/cell phones affect your circadian rhythms) listen to the radio and read something soothing, definitely not a mystery! lol
Oh, and JT is doing well.

CharM
03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Good evening Washer Buds! I thought I'd posted a quick missive this morning but found it still on my computer's *Notepad*... :rolleyes:

I baked a nice loaf of bread this morning, tidied the house and shovelled up the floors... oh the kitty hair.

Skitty is better today. We've been giving him his meds of course, but we're also insisting that he take his MegaC vitamins. He was able to jump up onto a chair and back down again today, so progress is being made. It's interesting that the pesky nuisance of a kitten knows to leave him be so that he can rest.

We made a quick trip to town, picking up a few groceries for my Mother. Her Residence is sort of quarantined because of the Norovirus. They are not allowed to go out and all their activities have been temporarily cancelled. However, we are allowed to visit... :confused:

Snakes really don't bother me, but ours in Ontario are pretty harmless.

We took the kitty door out when Tuxedo began sharing his muskrat kills with us... eleven in all! :eek:

:wave: All... A really lovely way to enjoy my after dinner tea is visiting here and reading your adventures...

p.s. Magoo stopped in to visit. He misses us. :)

JudyL
03-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Tail end of a migraine today, so staying in and nursing it, bummer.

NancyR
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Good Evening all,

Had a busy day at work today, had lunch with DH, and did not have time to post. We found a new home for our hot tub. I didn't use it all last year, and I have no desire to use it this year or in the future. So, our young neighbors were very excited when I offered it to them. If they would not have taken it, I would have made it into a fish pond to feed the neighborhood owls and hawks.

I will recycle my patio stones and expand my current patio area. That will take a few weekends to accomplish, but worth it. The area where the hot tub resides will be turned into a natural grass area--low-water garden.

Darla, Hope that you get better soon.

Geoff, So glad that you are getting more sleep.

The violets have been blooming for 3 weeks already. Thought I would brighten the day for all those with snow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2013/974503-violets.jpeg

Have a wonderful evening, and big hugs to all in need.

CharM
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM
((Darla and Larry))

((Judy))

Thanks for the peek at Spring, Nancy.

laudesan
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
:grouphug:

Lulu
03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
p.s. Magoo stopped in to visit. He misses us. :)

:heart: