PDA

View Full Version : Fort Worth Public Market & "Boot Camp"

earnest_ward
03-20-2013, 09:18 PM
As with my two stints as Artist-in-Residence (North Cascades National Park) in 2011, I've begun a two-month "boot camp" to prep for this year's upcoming residency with the Crater Lake National Park Service. Part of the boot camp is getting in physical shape for trekking the wilderness, but the fun part is establishing an every day/all day sketching routine. So, to help me with the latter I've begun a new series entitled "Little Texas" -- architectural gems and tiny communities that have gone unnoticed by most but are a joy to behold.

The first sketch is of the 1930 Art Deco/Spanish Colonial Fort Worth Public Market, which has been vacant for much of the time since it closed in 1941.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2013/101693-FW_Public_Market.JPEG

Joan T
03-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm so glad we get to reap the fruits of your sketching boot camp!!! The sketch is great...how big is it?

earnest_ward
03-21-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm so glad we get to reap the fruits of your sketching boot camp!!! The sketch is great...how big is it?

Thanks Joan. This one's 10"x14", watercolor over Micron pen, text done with dip pen. (I'm experimenting with/testing several format sizes, bindings, and papers -- even trying a few new (for me) media options before finalizing the kit I'll take.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

DrDebby
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Wonderful sketch of the architecture.

Riverfrog
03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
This is very impressive, I'm looking forward to following your trip. You are going to need a big sketch book!
Rachel

vhere
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
nice one - and a great interview online with Danny Gregory about your contributions to his newest book. Liz sent me a link to her interview and yours - both excellent.

earnest_ward
03-31-2013, 01:47 AM
nice one - and a great interview online with Danny Gregory about your contributions to his newest book. Liz sent me a link to her interview and yours - both excellent.

Thank you vhere. Did Liz by any chance share my photo from our first "almost meeting" with you? One of these days we're bound to run into one another again (either an one of the USK International Conferences or one of our "paralleling" adventures) -- only this time I expect we'll actually get to sketch together, and chat over a nice pot of tea.

vhere
03-31-2013, 06:23 AM
She did :). And pots of tea are an essential with Liz!

earnest_ward
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
She did :). And pots of tea are an essential with Liz!

Ha! Having grown up in the UK, my artwork runs on tea. (And my Liverpudlian mother-in-law says I'm the only one of her daughters' hubbies who knows how to brew a good cuppa. :lol: )

Tamcafe
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
This is a lovely sketch.!! So inspiring!!

KreativeK
10-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Ft. Worth has some magnificent buildings and this one is spectacular!

robertsloan2
10-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Wow! This is amazing. I love your text, it's so elegant. The painting's magnificent. Your lines are clean and perfect, color rich and powerful, light streaming through it and composition rocks. Wow!

I hope you'll journal your residency too! Looking forward to more! That's no short small travel sketch but a serious painting that'd make the start of a great prints series, text and all.

chammi kaiser
10-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Superb sketch. Beautiful colours, clean lines and impressive script to add to all the acolades.