PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Sunday

creativevintage
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I am currently working on this piece and I am thinking I might submit it to a juried exhibit next month. All suggestions, comments and corrections would be greatly appreciated. It is a local preserve on the Intracoastal waterway in Jacksonville that has the most amazing views!
Picture removed by moderator to prevent potential jury complications. It is not feasible to remove thread, beyond my remit.

allydoodle
03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
This is looking very good, I like the color palette. I'm not sure if critiquing this is something you want. Juried shows usually have rules, and one of them might be that you aren't allowed to receive critiques in order to improve the painting. It is almost like doing a painting while under instruction by a teacher, that is usually not allowed in a juried show either. I'd love to comment, but I hesitate in case it is not allowed. Maybe check with the rules before asking for critiques? Unless you have already, in which case I'd be happy to help. Just let us know.

creativevintage
03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
These are the rules...I am not sure if critique from this forum would count as "academic supervision" or not.

"Artwork submitted must be original work by the artist, completed within the last 3 years not under academic supervision. Mass-produced objects or craft kits are not accepted."

There are framing requirements along with the requirement that the piece be for sale and notes the commission.

allydoodle
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
It's a sticky point, critiques can be viewed as outside help, much like academic supervision. Your call of course, I just didn't want to comment and put you in a difficult position. If you want critique, of course you can have it, just let us know.

~JMW~
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Some basics that may or may not pertain to your photo..

water usually reflects the sky colors and will have shadows or shades of any nearby hills, plants or foliage

to show distance things will be usually bluer, lighter and toned down from foreground colors

vary the spacing & shapes of trees & foliage so they don't repeat

creativevintage
03-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Chris, I see your point and I agree. I think I will delete this post. This piece is badly warped and I will probably try it again on another type of board...I have a few ideas about what needs to be fixed/corrected, so I'll give it another try with those ideas...Thanks!

allydoodle
03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I will ask a Moderator to take care of it. I just didn't want to hamper your chances of getting into the show. Best of luck, I hope you get in!