PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Wednesday 20th March 2013 ***

Afriqueen
03-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Hello Wet Canvas friends,
It's been an age since I've visited the forum - so much has been going on in my life and just haven't had a moment to spend with you all.

Quick summary to catch you all up.
January -

MIL returned from Christmas in Zambia functionally blind (macular degeneration) and had to move into a retirement home - so packing and moving her.
Seeing to my Dad who had his 2nd cataract op and treatment for prostrate cancer which all involved many trips to fetch him, bring him to town and then take him back to the retirement home.
February -

my brother came to visit from the UK;
I left my work at iThemba to try to start a small home based business (recycling vintage furniture) as we need extra money to support 3 old people in homes (pensions don't even begin to cover the costs!!!);
Dad suddenly deteriorated and after a short time in frail care passed away. He was in his 90th year! So then funeral and sorting out his stuff. March -

working on furniture and paintings for a big local market which is on tomorrow!! I'm using the opportunity to launch my little business so :crossfingers: that it all goes well.
Rest of the month will be sorting through what feels like 3 tons of 'old people stuff' which seems to have invaded my house - all has to be sorted, sold, auctioned, donated, thrown out etc. :eek: Once that's done we'll be moving Dave's office into the old flat where MIL stayed, and I'll be moving into the downstairs room which will be my new workshop.
So that's me - hope to have time in the next few weeks to pop in to the forum occasionally and even to get some painting done. Also to catch up on all your news.

Grey and misty here today and lots to do so will get away and get my day started. See you all again soon :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

:wave:

doppler
03-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Gill, hectic and draining times.:heart: Dads and short term sufferings are OK? Mums and the longer term sufferings are not. Hope your new business goes well.:crossfingers:

JUST STAY WELL. We miss you

Drizzling and grey here too. Matching mood.

Anyone got a size nine boot for kicking use? :lol: I should have done some housework, some painting, something!!!

Char, ((((Skittles)))) ((((you))))

BBL

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 02:44 AM
Morning all

Nice to have you here Gill, you too have had fraught time.

Sorry wasnt ariound earlier but too busy sleeping!! 7 hours in two stretches how good is that??

Off to Swaledale back later

geoff

Yorky
03-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Well, I managed to log on to the neighbour's BT Openzone, hope it stays that way :crossfingers:

I'm expecting a BT engineer this afternoon to sort out my BT modem and broadband connection. I was threatened it could cost 99 :eek:

Good to hear from you Gill, what a traumatic and busy time you have had. I hope the sales go well tomorrow.

Hi Geoff 7 hours! :clap:

Hi procrastinating Annie, we all need a day off occasionally :heart:

Probus lunch today and a heritage talk on shrimp fishing in the Ribble estuary this evening. BT engineer is due at 2.30 - 6pm. Wonder when he will actually turn up?

A dry, calm morning here with a few tinges of blue in the cloud cover, 2C.

Darn wood pigeon is decimating my rockery at the moment looking for nesting material. They are nesting in the neighbour's Rowan tree which is just one ball of ivy. An apartment block for birds, :rolleyes:

Doug

doppler
03-20-2013, 04:04 AM
Procrastination is an art form Doug, No? :lol:

I'm just dreading the week left ahead. Only two days do I tell myself.

Got ambushed without ready and reasonable reply and will be working Friday too. Thought about my hair needs cutting, the cat food will have run out by then, the ex plague of fruit flies are dying all over the place and the house looks like grot. So must vacuum. No matter, Monday, car goes in for some high faluting fix ... All day and all credit card no doubt.

Mind you the extra work will pay them .... maybe.

Sorry, really out of sorts today.

Lulu
03-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Gill (((( )))), what a time you've had :heart:

Geoff, 7 hrs, wahoo!

Hi Doug, :wave:

Annie ((((just because)))) too.

Bill, following yesterday's discussion, is the grapefruit and cinnamon working? It sent me to google, quite interesting info on natural remedies.

The window-cleaner did a good job today, we will get a cat-door installed very soon so they don't muck up the windows on their in/out journeys...
Always enjoy having all the windows clean at once. If it was left to me it would be a room here, a room there.....the 'p' word would be a good description of the time it would take! lol

Just about to do some banking before close-off time so must scoot.
Have a good Wednesday everyone:wave:

Scene Chaser
03-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Good Day All,

Gil, glad to have you back. Been wondering how you are. So sorry to hear of your father's passing. Good luck to your business tomorrow.

((Annie,)) we all have a right to take some time off. Hope your mood improves.

Congrats, Geoff, on the seven hours. I'll need three more to tie you. Maybe later.

Doug, hope your man shows and solves the problem. Enjoy your lunch.

Lulu, haven't been retested since I started the grapefruit. Surprisingly, it's the white interior skin that does most of the work. It will be a couple of months before my next checkup. Thanks for the site yesterday.

Ms. Feral is forcing me to cool the kitchen with an open door. Making coffee.

Bill

painterbear
03-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just about 5:00 a.m. on a chilly, dark morning here in Oakwood. It is 31F/-1C and only going up to 33F/1C for the high. Brrrrrrrr! Normal temps are about 20 higher for this time of year.

I'm off to teach my second Beginner's WC class this morning. We'll be doing glazing exercises and a small landscape using sponges to paint a tree top. ;)

I felt so dumb on Monday. After working hard to get my background rocks done for my painting of a cougar in the Wild Life KIUAN Exercise in the LZ, I was all set to start on the cat. Except I forgot to bring my reference photo with me, so couldn't really work on him because I knew there were areas of whitish fur on him that were too important to mess up. :rolleyes:

Lulu, Speaking of paintings, the one of your GD in yesterday's Wash looks so beautiful with its new mat and frame. :thumbsup: You reminded me that Larry and I have to do our windows later this month when the weather warms up. We didn't do them last Fall, and they are really getting grimy now. He does the outside and I do the inside. It takes quite a while because we have over 30 windows and they are the old-fashioned kind with individual panes separated by wood.

Uschi, :clap: on your successful competition with the guys, especially on winning the game with the eventual overall winner of the series. Way to go!!!!

Kay, Beautiful jewelry you are designing and creating. Lovely work.

Gill, Good to hear from you again, you have really had quite the last few months on the run, haven't you. Hope things go well with the new furniture refurbishing business. :crossfingers: you get lots of interested people looking and buying at the market tomorrow.

Annie, Ahhhh, everybody deserves a day of just doing nothing meaningful at all. Enjoy it, don't beat yourself up about it. ;)

Doug, Hope the repair man can get your broadband up to the speed it is supposed to be.

:wave: to all who are still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Snowing up here in Richmond....

Grapefruit forbidden to me great pity as I like them a lot

geoff

Lulu
03-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Be sure to let us know Bill. I found it interesting that if you are on statins you can't eat grapefruit (or drink the juice), because it intensifies the statin effect, so it kind of makes sense that eating grapefruit would help? Well, it does to me.
Edit: grapefruit must intensify other medication too Geoff?

Thanks re my painting Sylvia.
Meant to say to Doug, too, that no, we are not taking it to Abu Dhabi. I had already planned to take a painting for Michael that I got for him for Christmas (and couldn't transport, it's an All Black pen & ink abstract) and that's going to be hard enough to fit in, with all the rellies asking us to take things to them too! I know Etihad has a 30kg baggage allowance, hope Virgin Australia (who are flying for them) does too! :crossfingers:

Also, Sylvia, I love the look of those sort of windows, but cleaning them ...:eek:
And I'm off to count our windows! lol
Well, what constitutes a window......I stopped counting......semi-detached rooms/sheds plus all our outside doors/ranchsliders are or have glass in them, and on the roof there are skylights for two of the bedrooms. All I know is that the window cleaner came at 8.30 am and left at 3 pm! with only a half hour break for lunch and I'm so glad I don't have to do any of it!

Uschi, had to go back and have a read - WTG!!!:thumbsup:

ps: This time in 4 weeks we will be there....::clap:

laudesan
03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
:grouphug: for all :grouphug:

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Statins in UK press today.....especially the bottom end pricewise Simvastatin as now believe shouldn't be taken with Amlodipine ( which both of us take for HPB) as can affect kidneys ( should sound familiar to me),and various stomach problems,minor, and headaches....which she has all the time.....

Grapefruit...lots of things you shouldn't take in conjunction, in my case prostate shrinking hormones...

geoff

Ellen in Ont
03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
:wave: everyone,
I've been really busy lately with life getting in the way of all plans. Max was sick and I spent 3hours in ER with him and my son on Monday. It was diagnosed as a virus and nothing to be done but treat the symptoms. He is fever and rash free now but still very tired and needs a lot of cuddling. My son stayed home from work yesterday to provide that. :D

Today Brian and I were outside by 6:00 A.M. shovelling. The snow is chest deep in the yard. He is still outside using the snowblower on a neighbours driveway and also did my son's driveway. I haven't seen this much snow in years.

Lots of hugs going out to so many in the wash going through rough times right now. I don't want to trust my memory to start listing everyone but I'm thinking of you all every day even if I don't have time to post.

Congratulations to Uschi! I hope I have your energy when I reach your age.

Brian and I need to have a quick breakfast and get uptown to run around doing errands. This afternoon I have to have a nap for nightshift while he takes the car in for scheduled servicing. Gotta run.

olliewood0702
03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Happy First Day of Spring!

It's COLD, windy and grey here...nothing like last year on this day when we set record highs. :rolleyes:

Gill, I'm so sorry you've sure been through a lot these past months. You've been missed here. I hope your new endeavor with your workshop will do well for you and bring you great success.

Geoff....7 hrs of sleep?:eek: For you that is GREAT!:thumbsup:

LuLU, so you have shiny, clean windows now in which to see those gorgeous views that you have. 4 weeks?:clap: 10 weeks for us.:smug:

Yes JJ I have lists.....and there is just SO MUCH to remember to do.

Aww poor Max, Ellen. I hope he recovers very soon and that your son and DIL will be able to get some rest too.

Uschi, you amaze me with your energy!

Had the girls last night, minus Klaira. Matt is still laid off. Helped Kaitlyn with some homework she asked me about. Those girls are getting such GOOD grades and their Papa told them he'd pay him more this time for all their A's. (Good thing he's working overtime.):D

I feel bad that we will be gone for Kelsea's farewell dance the beginnning of June. I bought Kaitlyn's dress last year and I will buy Kelsea's this year. She is going with a friend over Easter break to Chicago; and will look for one there.

I hope whatever this HUMP DAY brings you makes you happy and content!

I'll BBL:wave: :heart:

CharM
03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Happy First Day of Spring Northern Hemisphere! Someone forgot to tell our weatherman, though... it still feels like winter. Our Groundhog Day prediction by Wiarton Willie has gone awry.

Today is my first Class of the Beginner Workshop. My group are provided with a palette of basic colours and a limited set of brushes that's calculated into their Tuition. My Supervisor forgot to order the new palettes. She refilled my paint order and bought my brushes (and water cups). I have five palettes for twelve Students. She promised to find more palettes yesterday and I'll have to get them filled this morning. :rolleyes: Nothing in life is easy.

Skitty is a little better this morning. He did eat something on his own. His prognosis really isn't all that good. But, we'll keep him as healthy and comfortable as we can. His MegaC vitamin mixture is really important in boosting his immunity. I always mix it in his soft food, and he went off it a couple months ago by refusing to eat anything but the kibble. Now, we know we'll have to just administer it to him.

:thumbsup: Uschi! Congratulations on your games well played!

((Pat)) What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... I sure hope you don't need to be tested any longer and things improve for you and yours... :heart:

Kay, your jewelry is stunning!

Judy, I DO have an ice cream maker that attaches to my stand mixer... better planning is the order of the day! :)

Gill, I saw some of your pins on Pinterest... welcome back here... I'm sorry for the loss of your father and I hope that your Mother is able to settle in to her new situation... ((hug))

Annie, never play the woulda-coulda-shoulda game with yourself... You are amazingly busy so a Procrastinator's Award is due now and again.

:clap: Geoff! We traded sleep patterns!

:crossfingers: Doug that your internet woes get solved today.

I'd love to have a window cleaner, too, Lulu... There are 28 windows here... although, they are replacement windows so both sides can be cleaned from inside the house. I just hate the job! Did you share that abstract with us?

Hi Bill... Ted cannot eat grapefruit, either, because of its interaction with his meds. I found some red grapefruit sections in jars while travelling in your fair country... can't buy them here... they were perfect for me as I could enjoy a few sections at a time.

Enjoy your Class, Sylvia... they have a good Teacher!

((Baby Max)) Ellen, aren't you glad that Spring has arrived? :rolleyes: Take care... and I really :crossfingers: that you don't come down with the flu also.

I have to go into the Centre to get stuff read for this afternoon's first Class... so I'd better get showered and dressed... Have a great day everyone!

LynnM
03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
:wave: Good day all!!! Lovely sun here, but -4C, so pretty cool for Spring :eek: Painting today after some work this AM....vacuuming for sure today!

So sorry you have had such a rough time, Gill :heart: Good luck for the sale :crossfingers:

I commented yesterday

"Congrats, Uschi, super-lady you!!!

Lovely jewellery, Kay, the second piece is just stunning!

Char, I'm not surprised that your new way of eating is helping Ted....several people in my project are getting the same results. Amazing what eating in a healthy way can do for us! "

And Char, I'm so sorry about your kitty, perhaps good to know what it is that's bothering him, but...... On the positive side, your paintings posted recently are wonderful :thumbsup:

That's great, Geoff, feels wonderful, doesn't it, to really be rested. I am getting my comeuppance for boasting about getting back to sleep....have been up at 5 last three days. Have to cut the caffeine somehow.

Lulu, your painting is exquisite, no other word for it! Sometimes people wonder about painting realistically, saying why not just frame a photo. Well, yours is a great example of why not.....so much tender expression there, and feeling in the work that you put there :clap:

Interesting about the statins, I am lucky I guess, my BP is the opposite, can't stand up too quickly! But in the program of eating I am on, several people are reporting that their doctors have taken them off their BP meds as they don't need them any more....another example of the good of balanced healthy eating.

Mrs. Feral is a lucky kitty, Bill!

How frustrating, Sylvia, not to have your reference. I've done that too. Wise of you not to wing it.

(((Annie)))

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug: to all in need!

seedy
03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
I drop in here mostly to read (lurk,you say?) how others are doing. I'm of the "hunt and peck" school of typists so...as Ellen would say"anyways...
I just had to say that this morning, after 8 inches of snow, was absolutely gorgeous with the rising sun creating shiny jewels in the snow. Tried taking a picture, but the glints (?) just didn't turn out.
The temps are going up to 8C by Friday......the skiing must be great....
No mention of floods in thye papers, but just wait....there sure is a lot of melting to be done.

Strawberry Wine
03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Good Day Washers !

Happy 1st day of Spring from a snowy Island Grove. I remember basking in last year's warm/hot temperatures and lovin it. However, this is much closer to normal for us. Hopefully it will warm up gradually and steadily, with everything blooming when it shouls and as Mother Nature intends.

Char, So sorry to read about Skittles. Glad that he ate a little this morning. He survived his ordeal last summer; hopefully he can do it again :grouphug:

Bill, Grapefruit is one of my favourite fruits and I used to drink or eat it daily. Unfortunatley, both Dan and I are on blood pressure medications so any form of grapefruit is forbidden. :(

:wave: to Brian (seedy) great to see you popping in. Although the ice huts had to be off our Lake by the 15th of the month, there are still people fishing and snowmobiling on the still thick and solid ice of our lake That has not been the case for the past few years but in just a few weeks there will be people whacking balls on the golf course behind us.

Gill, you have had a rough go for a while now. Sorry to read about the passing of your Dad and your MIL failing vision. Pop in when you can. You are missed.

Dan and I went to the Barrie Currys Art Supply yesterday to pick up a few things I needed for the workshop I am going to take on Sunday. It has been a while since I took a formal class and I am looking foward to it.

The sun is shining here and I see that the finch feeder is almost empty. The Gold Finches have been devouring the seed so I better top it up. I can see some of the males are starting to turn a bit yellow . :thumbsup: Dan saw two robins the other day.

Geoff, whatever you did, ate, drank, yesterday keep doing it. :)

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

JudyL
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Morning (at least here it's not yet 8 AM) kids are still here, spent the night since it's a late start day at school, it's RAINING :clap: here so they will be needing a ride to school.
Lauren declined to sleep in the pull down bed, too high for her and besides she loves her bedroom here.

Gill so sorry to hear about your horrible months, I know how it is to lose someone even if they have been suffering. We lost my sister in January after 6 years on chemo, but I still find myself thinking "I'll have to tell/ask Margaret..." before remembering. It hit me hard as now I am the only one left to remember what was..... Hope your spring is a lot better.

Later

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Been down the coast fir a fish and chip lunch whilst Eileen has posh meal with her schoolmates.....ate too much so wont eat again today. Now at SILs drinking coffee and keeping warm....

geoff

JudyL
03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
It looks as if we will be in the UK in October to go to Wembley to watch the 49ers play :clap: This means that either before or after we WILL be going up to Knarseborough!
It looks as if we will be having a busy Autumn, we are scheduled to spend Thanksgiving in Hawaii with Jacks twin and wife, :smug: I know what I will be thankful for !

wcartistsr
03-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Good Morning(soon to be afternoon). Sun is shining here, but cold. I am so ready for spring, real spring.

Well, yesterday I saw my urologist and got the good news that the uterers are clear. There are several tiny stones in the kidney. Monday I had a bit of pain, and yesterday pm, after seeing her, I passed a very small stone. So, I think, for now, all is well.

Gil, sorry you have so much on your plate. Good to hear from you and wish you the best in your new business.
Lulu, your painting was lovely and so nice to see it framed up. I know you are getting excited.
Uschi, Congratulations on your tournament wins. What a great feeling it must have been to have won over the champion male opponent.
Char, So sorry about Skittles. Having a sick pet is much like having a small sick child who cannot really tell you what is wrong or how they feel. Hope he can enjoy some quality life yet for awhile.
Doug, hope you can get the broadband problem resolved successfully today.
These electronic problems can be very stressful and eat up gobs of time.
Pat, hope all goes well for Winnie on Friday and that you can sort out all of your other problems with the bank. You don't need all that stress when you are trying to care for your mom.
Darla, you have such a great love for your grandchildren and positive influence in their lives. They are very lucky girls.
Yesterday I worked more on my painting and I think I am close to being done. Hopefully soon as I am getting sick of thinking about it.

Best to all of you today.
Shirley

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 01:41 PM
It looks as if we will be in the UK in October to go to Wembley to watch the 49ers play :clap: This means that either before or after we WILL be going up to Knarseborough!
It looks as if we will be having a busy Autumn, we are scheduled to spend Thanksgiving in Hawaii with Jacks twin and wife, :smug: I know what I will be thankful for !

Hope weather better for you Judy when you come back.......How is your friend at Hannahs doing...? Have been reluctant to ask whilst Jack has been having treatment himself...

geoff

Yorky
03-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Whoopee! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The engineer has managed to reinstate my broadband. Apparently the fault was at the exchange, they had reconnected me to my old ISP :rolleyes:

The service is not quite as fast at 7.5 Mb/s but should be fast enough for everything I want to do,

Glad you are feeling better now Shirley, I haven't has a kidney stone but by all accounts they are very painful.

What a contrast Judy Hawaii and Knaresborough, both delightful in their way.

Just filled up the car and it cost me 75 :eek: Good job we don't do much mileage.

Kay, I love your jewellery and the organic designs.

Doug

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 02:28 PM
My car was 95 on diesel Doug today.......

Statins/Kidneys etc...Our Doctor has read the report and in reducing her Amlodipine strength on Eileens next visit.........the report emanates from Quebec...

geoff

JudyL
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi again,
Lawrence (from Hannahs) was doing better than expected the last time we talked, still throat cancer is horrible. He has been training a cook, and hope to sell the buisness. Hopefuly if they do, he will be able to cook as well as Lawrence.
October in Knaresborough? Lovely it does get cold here, but I do miss wearing the silk long underwear :) and it's perfect to wear to bed on cold winter nights, not necessary here, somehow I miss a "real" winter.

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks Judy.......I'll probably call in there this next week or so....lumpy bumpy perhaps!

geoff

LynnM
03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Lots of traveling on the horizon, we are a global bunch ! I am going as far as the Near North in Ontario, not exactly global, but my friend and I have booked a yurt for 10 days.....looking forward to that! They are hexagonal cabins, no running water or kitchen facilities. Essentially a tent with weather protection! It lightens the load of equipment we have to take and there are bunk beds and counters to put things on, and a table and chairs.....sheer luxury! There is a barbecue too as well as a fire pit. You have to carry in your stuff, hence the wagon, only maybe a 100ft from the parking for this one. I hope for good weather, rain would be depressing but at least we will have a roof over our heads!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2013/97813-Y6-yurt-at-Killarney.jpg

Glad you are comfortably back on line, Doug, very frustrating when it is interrupted.

Flattwo
03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi

Just popped in to say hello :wave:

Henry

shipbroker
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Hello.Henry did u catch the BBC Four programme last night?

geoff

Flattwo
03-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi Geoff, missed it, but will watch on i player, and might watch th showing at 1.30 am, or watch it HD at 12.30 pm tomorrow

1/3. Norman Ackroyd
Documentary filmed in the London warehouse studio of Norman Ackroyd, one of the country's most celebrated landscape artists, as he creates his latest work. [S]

Season1/1Episode1/2Length30
Other Airings
22 Mar, 12:35am
BBC HD

You may also like

The Source: Paolo Soleri

Lily Cole's Art Matters

Harry Clarke: Darkness in Light