PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Brush Behavior

virgil carter
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I went into my studio today for some painting and preparations for forthcoming shows, and found this most unusual brush behavior:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/263641-DSCN0988.JPG
The smaller brush is a new Escoda Perla No. 6 and the larger brush is a 1" ox-hair from Cheap Joe's. I think most of you will agree this is a most unusual situation for one brush, much less two!

I asked my wife if she could identify what might have happened. Her response was, "Don't ask me!"

When I asked Lucy, our nearly 1-year old Spinone, she just smiled and wagged her tail.

This is Lucy:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/263641-Lucy_Mar_3_2013.jpg

I'm stumped. Any ideas? Should I contact the Escoda family and Cheap Joe?

Sling paint,
Virgil

Yorky
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
You are going to have to lock up your brushes Virgil - or your dog :)

Doug

janinco
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Looks like your Perla is now a travel brush.

I would send the pictures to the companies and tell them they need a warning label :-)

Jan

charliez
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
from http://spinoneclubofamerica.com

Do you have a problem with your dog chewing on things that do not belong to them?

(http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/) Answer:
As much as possible, keep items out of the dog’s reach. Keep in mind that your dog can't tell the difference among a $200 pair of shoes, a worthless old rag, a $10 Escoda Perla and a Cheap Joe's cheap Ox Hair brush.

Provide your dog with plenty of items they can chew on. When you catch your dog chewing on something they should not be, trade the item with one of their chew toys. When they take their toy, praise them.. if they make a magnificent "Value" watercolor punish them by taking away their toy... if they make a magnificent "Color" watercolor praise them, give them their toy and David P. Coffin's brushes...

When you are not home, keep the dog confined to a safe area so they cannot get into trouble or go out Plain-Air painting while you are away

Most importantly, make sure your dog is getting plenty of exercise. They will chew on things out of boredom. Exercise can help and teaching them to watercolor helps a lot too.

CharM
03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
What a dilemna, Virgil!!! What ever could young Lucy have been thinking? I suggest you make her pay for new brushes out of her allowance.

Shame on Escoda for making such a delicious tasting brush... and the handle... oh my... even dogs eat with their eyes, right? Presentation is everything.

Perhaps you could fashion some brush shaped doggie treats? Ooh! Cheap Joe could begin offering them to loyal Customers!

WthrLady
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Lucy, Lucy, Lucy......sigh

ona
03-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I knew there was a reason why i use cheap brushes :)

Superturtle
03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
I think this was Lucy's way of contributing to your painting - she wanted to make you a texture brush! And a travel brush, as Jan said.

maryinasia
03-18-2013, 08:41 PM
I was also thinking .... great special effects brush

Mike3839
03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
It appears Lucy is thinking "I guess I showed him!"

M.L. Schaefer
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Poor Poor Lucy! Have you measured her canine teeth, how far apart are they? Me thinks a pesky squirrel or a little field mouse...OR, yes, a message that Lucy resents your painting when you should be throwing a frisbee (for her)!

:heart: Margarete

virgil carter
03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you all for the many helpful comments. After consideration, I've decided that the damp winter climate this year must have been more that the poor brushes could bear. They went for a noble cause!

As for Lucy, she's still smiling and still wagging. What a Spinone!

Sling paint,
Virgil

PS: If anyone is looking for a wonderful and sweet breed, the Spinone is very special.

PPS: Did I mention that all Spinoni are goofy?

FoxEnova
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Since Lucy is totally innocent, I believe your brush cleaning solution is too strong.

Mayberry
03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Considering how much some people spend on dog toys that are quickly destroyed, maybe this wasn't such an expensive use of brushes, for a one-time artistic doggie treat. I imagine there is some dog cafe somewhere where dogs are served much more extravagant delicacies to gobble up. There's something bizarrely artistic in there somewhere, in an ironic way.

Saint Ragdoll
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Virgil,
I've never heard of the breed Spinoni. Tell us a bit about the breed and what they are like to live with.
My constant companion is a 5 pound Chihuahua named Beau short for Beauregard Jackson Lee. Thank goodness he only chews his toys and treats because he is better than a monkey at climbing so he can get up high and aee what is going on.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Lulu
03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Perhaps she was trying to get her head around that very lengthy thread in the learning zone lol
I think you've got off very lightly, I could tell you a story about my last dachshund and all the part-eaten clothing.........cost me $100's ......:eek:

artdragon86
03-19-2013, 01:26 AM
from http://spinoneclubofamerica.com

Do you have a problem with your dog chewing on things that do not belong to them?

(http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/) Answer:
As much as possible, keep items out of the dog’s reach. Keep in mind that your dog can't tell the difference among a $200 pair of shoes, a worthless old rag, a $10 Escoda Perla and a Cheap Joe's cheap Ox Hair brush.

Provide your dog with plenty of items they can chew on. When you catch your dog chewing on something they should not be, trade the item with one of their chew toys. When they take their toy, praise them.. if they make a magnificent "Value" watercolor punish them by taking away their toy... if they make a magnificent "Color" watercolor praise them, give them their toy and David P. Coffin's brushes...

When you are not home, keep the dog confined to a safe area so they cannot get into trouble or go out Plain-Air painting while you are away

Most importantly, make sure your dog is getting plenty of exercise. They will chew on things out of boredom. Exercise can help and teaching them to watercolor helps a lot too.

This is priceless :)
Lucy looks like a beautiful dog. Give her a pat for me :cat:I am pretty lucky with my German Shepherd, Rex. He has his favourite purple squeaky toy and doesn't really chew on anything else (probably more out of laziness than good behaviour haha). Though when I am painting, for some reason he always has to sit right next to me with his nose almost touching my paper, and he did once end up with a blue nose after sniffing my acrylic palette :lol: This is how my loungeroom usually looks on painting days:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2013/979335-Rex_with_Pastel_Drawing.jpg
I think he has decided to elect himself my art supervisor :D

virgil carter
03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Teresa, a Spinone is sort of the opposite end of Dog-dom from a Chihuahua. That is, sort of a 26"-28" high and 80-100 pounds end of Dog-dom. I suspect one will eat more than a Chihuahua.

Spinone is really Spinone Italiano, a very, very old Italian breed (some say dating from about 500 BC!). It is a farily recent entry into the U.S., only being accepted as a breed by the AKC in the 1960s.

Spinoni (plural) are a field dog, a gun dog, as are Labradors, Pointers, many Spaniels, etc. They are simply wonderful! They love people (and other dogs), and want nothing more than to be with humans. They are a Type B personality, expecting their humans to be the Type A. Loving, sweet and eager to please, Spononi have a sensitive personality; it only takes a mildly strong word or tone (sometimes a gentle slap, if needed) to get their attention and correct behavior. Very stong discipline sends Spinoni into a blue funk, wondering where the love went! A gentle word or touch of praise, however, and they are back in the game.

Indoors, Spinoni are gentle (large) lap dogs and couch potatoes. Outdoors, the field dog genes automatically kick in and they love to romp and sniff their way, criss-crossing all over the outdoors area doing their natural dog activities, looking for anything and everything that moves or leaves a scent. Spinoni have a sort of natural fast walking gait (slower than many running field dogs), and have extraordinarily sesnsitive noses which work overtime outdoors, scenting here and there on everything. One can hear the nose sniffing, sucking in the air and scents=--very funny!

Spinoni seldom go far or out of sight of their owners.

Care is easy and there are no special demands, except for trimming every couple of months to keep the hair out of their eyes and make combing out much easier.

Spinoni have a great sense of humor and love to have things (anything) in their large mouth, including your hand. They have natural beards and long ears, which are always in their water and food, so cleaning them up is a regular event after each feeding. Spinoni have very large feet (very) and long legs. Oh, and Spinoni are simply goofy! They just do silly, goofy things, looking around to see if you caught their latest act.

In short, Spinoni are simply wonderful dogs and companions.

Sorry for the long response, but I really like this breed (and I've had numerous others).

Here's Lucy with her Ducky:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2013/263641-Lucy_800.jpg

Sling Spinoni,
Virgil

olliewood0702
03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
:lol: :lol: Sorry Virgil that I'm laughing at your brushes expense but she's just too funny and cute to stay mad at!:evil:

Aderynglas
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Virgil,

I think that those brushes have been improved no end. They are now perfect for the painting of a one year old Spinone called Lucy :thumbsup:

Don't forget to post it so we can see :D

juneto
03-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Virgil !! Are you licking your brushes Again ??????
In my Humble opinion , Lucy can do what ever she wants ,since you spoiled her rotten and furthermore ,she is also Adorable .:heart:
It is only a brush, after all .
June:evil: :wink2: :wave:

juneto
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Taking another look at your Lucy, Spinone , I think she looks as good as a Spumoni !! She looks related to the Irish Wolfhound ,smaller and white .
Lucky you,
June:cat:

M.L. Schaefer
03-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Ah, I still think pretty Lucy is much maligned, BUT she is longingly looking out the window, waiting for her dear friend to throw her a frisbee, still resenting just a little bit the not-so-fun furry things that her dear friend prefers to play with!

Lucy sounds and looks so adorable. I had never heard of the Breed before...I love her personality type! And she does, in fact, look like an Irish Wolfhound (which Breed always tugs at my heart because of the so very sad story about the Wolfhound and the Irish Clan Leader and the little Child!:crying: )

:heart: Margarete