PDA

View Full Version : Lion in a pickle

robbieowens
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi everyone, its been a while since I picked up my pastels but I was inspired to get back into after looking at some work by Vic Bearcroft and purchasing one of his pre-lined velour drawings, I'd never used velour before and the fact that it came with a basic outline gave me the confidence to give it a go.

Anyway, I've started the piece but the original photo is great and is of a lion incaptivity lying on a wooden stage, I wanted to paint it in a natural setting and thought out of focus grasses would look good...however I've gotten myself it a pickle and I cant seem to get it too look right, especially the area by his head. At first I tried to create a sense of distance behind but it just looked completely wrong, then I tried surrounding his head with grass but that didnt work either

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/220471-lion2.jpg

robbieowens
03-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Not sure whether I've made it better or worse! Does the grass now just look like its sticking out of the rocks! Should I get rid of the grass behind the rocks completely?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/220471-lion3.jpg

kellysam
03-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi Robbie, I like the setting, and he looks quite natural to me. I like him, and can't wait to see him again when you have finished your painting

gumtreefriends
04-10-2013, 02:14 AM
Hi Robbie, it looks fine to me, but if you want there to be more focus on the lion itself you could try fading the background a bit more to make it look more subtle. Anyway, I think it's looking great.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-19-2016, 12:00 AM
When I looked at it the first time I said, to myself, that it was too much the same value all over your painting. Work on the weight lines and emphasize the light and shade areas on and around your lion. Try to give him more volume, a more sculptural feel! You have already done this with the area around his head, but work more around his legs as well! You'll get it! The lowest point under the bottom leg should have the deepest shade.. The weight line falls there!

CaliAnn
04-24-2016, 05:09 PM
The two sets of grasses (behind his head and way in the back), appear to be the same size. You might want to think of either making the back grass shorter and fade it out more or make the grass behind his head longer, even going off the page a bit. Otherwise, count me in as someone else who'd like to see where you go with this