PDA

View Full Version : The Fisherman

Mary Brigid
03-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Hi all. It has been eighteen months since I last posted here. In that time I have painted four paintings. The old story... Life in the way of Art...... I am back painting now and this is my latest. C/C most welcome as always .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/90519-man_in_a_brown_hat_for_net.JPG

Colorix
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi Mary-Brigid, so good to see you painting again, it has been eons! You caught that weather-burnt far-seeing expression really well. What I see on screen is a painting with values that are pretty close to each other -- could be a photography thing, though. But if it is in the painting, a greater range of values would add zing.

Keep them coming, dear.

Mary Brigid
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi Charlie, Nice to see you :) I think that this is a better photo of the painting. And you are right about the values. I am still very afraid of darks. I just have to get braver. Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/90519-The_Fisherman.JPG

pastel lover
03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Very nice. Lot of motion & energy here for a very nice feeling.

Tanja

Dougwas
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Welcome back, Mary Brigid. Doesn't it feel good to get dusty again? You managed to get that leathery look that fishermen have and the wispy hair looks good. It's good to have you back.

Doug

sketchZ1ol
03-18-2013, 01:49 PM
hello
glad you thought of us with your painting :)

the second photo is Much better .

your painting builds well with earth colours
and the personality is definite with your marks -
strong , but not too much ' dark ' ...
a hardworking , gentle soul .

maybe lift off/soften the reds behind the top of his hat .

if the photo caught his long hair in a breeze , okay ,
but it could get complicated to give shape and lines , so
let it fall gently , unless something very stormy is in the moment ...

leave the idea of hard darks for another painting -
this one looks fine !

Ed

Mary Brigid
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Tanja: Thank you for your very nice comments.

Doug: I am happy that you like my fisherman. And thank you so much for your welcoming greeting. It is good to be back. I have missed being here :heart:

Ed: Thank you for commenting. I see what you mean about that red. It does look a tad strong. Thank you for pointing this out Ed. This gentleman is a well known character in our area. And yes his hair always looks like that. Even on the calmest of days. Some say it is because he sleeps with his hat on :lol:

pastel65
03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
This is very nice. His "personality" shows. I really like the way the portrait blends into the background. I cannot do portraits so really admire your talent. Pam

Mary Brigid
03-19-2013, 07:27 PM
HI Pam, Thank you for your very nice comments. I think this is my seventh portrait and two years ago I said I could not do portraits either. I have a lot to learn Pam . My goal in each portrait is to capture the persons character. I think if you can get that, imperfections will be overlooked. I hope :o

sketchZ1ol
03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
hello
well , imperfections are part of character ;
something about the subject ,
a bit about the artist ,
all about the painting . :D

Ed