PDA

View Full Version : Barbie's plastic surgery plan

amanda
09-09-2003, 05:22 AM
This is oil with plastic and paper, 60cmx70cm. I did this to represent western beauty. It's meant to be a bit of a joke (irony) as Barbie is already made of plastic yet I've put her as a plastic surgery patient. In the corner, the bit which is blurry is the patients name, the date and the doctor's name which is Dr I.C.Imperfections. My lecturer didn't get it at all so I'm not handing it in. I know she's hideoous, she's meant to be, what do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/28-Barbie_beauty.JPG

Tamana
09-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Somebody did their homework about plastic surgery. You can see the time you put into the piece regarding the research and I think that's important. I think the resemblance is right on and the irony is, well, ironic to say the least.

It's the message I like. Dr. I.C. Imperfections: clever. In the west so much emphasis is placed on perfection. The right weight, the right clothes, the right crowd, etc. etc. etc. Judge judge judge, ourselves especially by the standards that others have set.

*shudders*

I would've like to have seen the plastic just on her.

axxxel
09-09-2003, 03:31 PM
hummm..

I'm very interested with that kind of "cold platic" work..

kind of modern art i'm looking for ... it's art, it's a concept

:clap:

Gar
09-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Very different and creative piece. Warhol would be proud.

muchfoolishness
09-09-2003, 07:46 PM
very interesting
just for mine
i would like to see
some indication of the hair shape against the background
just to break up that negative space
*shrugs*
a small suggestion

lascauxcaveman
09-10-2003, 02:04 AM
I think its funny as hell. Great idea, satire and iconclasism are two of my favorite things to see in art. I would have given her a wandering eye, to make her even more pathetic and hopeless.

People are always carping about how artists can find the beauty in ugliness. What hits me much more often is the ugliness in "beauty" - women (heck, even some men) spending all their time in front of a mirror, gooping on the makeup and spraying chemicals on their hair, when the only real chance they'll ever have to be beautiful is to get the hell out of the bathroom and go live a beautiful life.

Fat chance.

Tamana
09-10-2003, 07:39 AM
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

Sir Francis Bacon

nicanfhilidh
09-10-2003, 07:50 AM
I can't believe your lecterer didn't understand it - it's a fantastic concept IMO, and well-executed: a witty and biting bit of social commentary. I think the concept could even be expanded - in fact, I can visualize a whole gallery show on this theme, filled with objects a various sizes dealing with this theme. Barbie's appearance is dissected by a plastic surgeon, Dressie Bessie's fashion sense could be trashed by Mr. Blackwell, and some matronly mother-figure type doll could be taken to task for not going on the South Beach Diet or some such weight-obsession nonsense. Lots of potential here - I love it! (In case that's not clear ...)

mmk
09-10-2003, 10:28 PM
it's great! i like the plastic look. everything comes together in this piece and creates a great effect.

amanda
09-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your replies, they have been most encouraging. I'll take them to heart and ignore what my lecturers say. I've got my review this week so I'm sure they'll blast the painting even more. Oh well.