PDA

View Full Version : Currys Art Store and Woolfitts

scribblet
03-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi All: I was looking at Currys to post a link to their acrylic medium prices for a friend and came across this.
Currys Welcomes Woolfitts
https://www.currys.com/generic.htm?ECINFO=NEWS

My son used to live behind Woolfitts in the old places they have now torn down so went into Woolfitts of course when we visited. I was surprised to find that Currys is 'partnering' with them and wonder how the pricing will go as I'm sure Currys was always cheaper than Woolfitts.

While searching around I came across. No surprise and I'm sure they still do it. While IMO Currys is still the best/cheapest place to shop for art supplies (in Ontario anyway) their advertised sale prices are always the same prices, unless it's a loss leader.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03052.html

Strawberry Wine
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi Kathy,

Currys and Woolfits, good move for Woolfits. I think Ihave been in one of them years ago but can't for the life of me remember where it was. Maybe Bracebridge?????

RE 2nd link

When ever I see a "suggested manufactuer's price " I have always assumed that the store was selling below that price and the sale was a percentage off the that suggested retail price but not as much of a discount as it suggests. NOt sure why they were targeted cause Sears does it , Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc etc etc. thought it was common knowledge

Cheers,

Gail

CharM
03-17-2013, 10:33 AM
I saw that online, too, Kathy. With the store in London (Ont.) I don't have to go too far to get what I need.

scribblet
03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Kathy,

Currys and Woolfits, good move for Woolfits. I think Ihave been in one of them years ago but can't for the life of me remember where it was. Maybe Bracebridge?????

RE 2nd link

When ever I see a "suggested manufactuer's price " I have always assumed that the store was selling below that price and the sale was a percentage off the that suggested retail price but not as much of a discount as it suggests. NOt sure why they were targeted cause Sears does it , Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc etc etc. thought it was common knowledge

Cheers,

Gail

Hi Gail: Woolfitts is in Toronto on Queen St. W.

Currys always sells less than the SMP so in effect, their products are always 'on sale' so their advertising was misleading.

LynnM
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
I used to go to Woolfits regularily when I did more printmaking, it used to be a discount store and you could get great deals on paper and matt board, ink etc. They would have different things in, depending on the deals they were able to get. I think it was artist run at that time. Haven't been for some time. Maybe it will increase the breadth of stock that Curry's will carry, they don't have much in areas like printmaking for example. Or other specialty paints.

M.L. Schaefer
03-18-2013, 09:09 PM
No Curry's in the U.S. but great access to their tips and techniques :) :

https://www.currys.com/template.htm?PAGE=TIPSINDEX&ECINFO=knowledge

:heart: M.