PDA

View Full Version : Bloodlines

Tamana
09-09-2003, 02:03 AM
Jes a WIP - Burning the midnight oil....literally. I'm maybe half way finished with her....maybe....or, maybe I'm just starting.

Got my oil for my lantern alright...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/18021-Bloodlines.JPG

aftermath of flames....sometimes I wonder what puts it out...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/18021-Blood_6.JPG

She's about 34" x 26" oil collage on wood

Now for the netting....:D

Gotta love this job.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 02:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/18021-Netted.JPG

and brushed softer softly....now for me too....bedtimes....paint dries bed times paint dries bed times paint bed times bed... I think I hear red...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/18021-brushed.JPG

Pete Hubbard
09-09-2003, 07:50 AM
I wondered how you got some of those effects. But you say it's not finished? What about firecrackers and BB guns? I'm sorry I'm inspired. My mind wanders.

A while ago I buried a painting with lye and dug it up after 2 weeks. The result was wow! I got the idea from a show on TV about body disposal.

Good stuff! How long does it take to finish one of these?

blkros
09-09-2003, 08:42 AM
I hope that everything around you is fireproof. :D

Dahzl
09-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Oooooo !! Love those before and after fire shots Tam ! :D -and she is progressing beautifully - that wonderful wash of blue-green cascading down- like a cleansing - Lovely !! :D

I'll be baaaaaack Dahlink :D

Cheers Dahz xx:D

Tamana
09-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Hey Pete. Firecrackers and BB Guns...there's a thought. "Fire"creackers specially. :D I DEMAND to see that lye painting presto!!! So cool.

I've got another I'm working on with a weave that I'm allowing the sun to bake.... :D Microwaving and standard oven is fun too. :D Sheesh I love this. Endless friggin' possibilities!!!

The time varies. This particular one has been ongoing for about three days now. Oil takes longer to dry and it's a slow process but lovin' it. And she keeps twisting and turning like an underwater current so I never know what ocean it's going to lead me to, or when it will just bank me, or when I'll just grap a limb...which I haven't done yet. lol

Thanks for stoppin' in. :)
~

Keef: It would take ALL the fun out if it was. ;)
~

Dahhhhz: Fankies ma'am. That blue-green is liable to be red by tonight!! I have no idea I have no design no plan... :D I'll wait up for you dahhhlin'.
~

Thanks guys. :)

arourapope
09-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm watching, watching. I agree with Dahzl re the blue-green.
Be careful, please. :)

Tamana
09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
There you go: Give me hell. I want it.

VieSaintSo
09-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Tamana,
Please be patient with me.....I cant tell what I am looking at....
The pictures are too near?......also I believe their is real fire!:confused:
Wow isnt that like really living on the edge. of burning yourself/home etc?
Just talk to me like i'm totally new to your medium but very interested to learn more!:cat:

Tamana
09-09-2003, 03:06 PM
it's all right. :) I totally understand how you feel.

The work is a WIP (work in progress), so it's not completed yet. There really is nothing to look at except the process of it becoming what it will become. :) The photos are detail shots just to let you watch the process of the initial development, which does include on most of my pieces, real fire.

I suppose it's inevitable that eventually I will mix the wrong thing with fire, but so far I've been pretty lucky and don't seem to fear it. I love watching it curl and creep left when I lit right and down when I am blow to guide it up and the way it moves around certain things on the composition then meets on the other side and how it goes out by itself when it gets tired when I suppose the laws of physics says it had no reason to go out when there was plenty to burn. I also like the way it comes back sometimes when I think it's gone. :evil:

I'm just being dramatic, Vie!! But basically, that's the gist of it. I am as comfortable with fire as you are with oils probably. I do not fear destroying a piece of art (considering I never have a design anyway), but would rather see what it would become. Ironically, the ONE piece I didn't burn was the ONE piece most disliked.

The process of collage/mixed media is liberating. I was talking to someone about that very thing last night. There are no limits to what you can use or how far you can go. And in my case - no idea what you are producing until it's done.

THAT, to me, is total freedom. Creation IS intoxication. :)

And besides that, "some like it hot." ;)

:D

axxxel
09-09-2003, 03:22 PM
... or maybe you're on the end of the road ....

What is this "flash" on the top ?

While looking at this, I'm feeling disturbed ... "crafted" (that word exists in english ??)

BTW, it's not a cool piece, not at all, you push the limits even further. Like it.

:evil:

Tamana
09-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by axxxel

What is this "flash" on the top ?

It's fire. And, thank you. :angel:

VieSaintSo
09-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Tamana!
OK I understand now!:cool: very cool! You must of been a fire person in an other life?;)
I also do a lot of collage in most of my paintings there is always at least on small part added of colage.
I agree with you, the freedom of it all is liberating, fun, just a warm good feeling all over!
Just be careful, though you little devil!!! And keep on creating!

somerset
09-09-2003, 08:48 PM
I would like to watch you one day, from a safe distance of course and just oooh & ahhh as you work. BTW, I think its done but what do I know?

Tamana
09-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Remember New York's a road trip possibility!!!! :D I'm sure we could all find something to collaboratively contribute each individual's talents to. I'll just wait until your all finished and burn it. :D

Here's some of tonight's updates then imma haffa hit the hay. These 3 hour a night sleeps aren't cuttin' it for me right now. Sorry for the glare. You know how it is using a flash at night....

Blending progression: red red red

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/18021-Progression_3.JPG

Same area sewn with gold thread through the netting. You'll be able to see the two traces when I finish and get a full shot.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/18021-Sewn_4.JPG

Tamana
09-10-2003, 12:53 AM
she sleepwalks when she hears it whispering "silver metallic"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Metallic1.JPG

and something new with the glue; "threading", teeny tiny strands like moss or wisteria covering a biyou of ancient secrets (discriptive drama provided by sleep deprivation).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Metallic_Texture_2.JPG

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

brushstroked
09-10-2003, 10:24 AM
I love it. That blue-green looks like weathered copper (by the way...have you ever considered using real metals in your work?) The textures and depth of your pieces are amazing - like sedementary rock layered throughout millennia.

Can't wait to see this one finished.

Tamana
09-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Thank you, Laura. I love seeing art through your eyes. Actually I have some metal I'm smiling at....but nothing's come to me, yet. ;) You know after I read this I went back and painted the orange netting with silver metallic too because I liked that metal look. Now it really does look like metal mesh. So thanks a much for the idea. :)

I finally finished her!!! :D Imma fixin ta post.

Tamana
09-10-2003, 07:36 PM
(she changed course and became something else)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Rosetum_sempervirent.JPG

Details:

Pre Nubila

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Pre_Nubila.JPG

Verbum Sapienti

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Verbum_Sapienti.JPG

Post Nubila

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Post_Nubila.JPG
Et itur ad astra

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Et_itur_ad_astra.JPG

Rosic
09-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Reminds me of Hendrix burning his guitar on stage at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Tam... you sure know how to create exciting work!
Bernie

PS... Thanks for always popping in on my work... you're a doll.

somerset
09-10-2003, 07:48 PM
I thought this was finished & said so. But did you listen to me, nooo?!? Good thing too, they rock. Oh they rocked before but this has a 5/4 beat, esp. the first 2.

arourapope
09-10-2003, 10:52 PM
how fascinating! I'd love to see this one live. I bet I could wander around it for a good long while. Very kewl!

christinabella
09-11-2003, 12:11 AM
[What about firecrackers and BB guns?

I remember seeing an artist at work on a show on tv; in the American southwest. She was making this fantastic obelisk for a public building, and it was made of steel. I can only recall some of the process, and I'm not sure it's all correct.

What she did was set up a sheet of steel in the desert, in a pit. Then she put objects of steel, and various ceramic chemicals on the steel sheet and put dynamite over the whole thing. Then buried it and blew up the dynomite. The result was amazing. The objects placed on the steel left rune like marks on the sheet of steel, and the ceramic material left a sort of glaze. She then made a tall thin pyramidal-like form, welding it all together.

Tam: I love your work! :clap:
If you start blasting, will you take videos?:D

Tamana
09-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Hope everyone's good to go this morning...:)

Bern: Preciate you popping in. Thanks for the looksies. As long as you continue to use that charcoal as magic I'll be around.
~

Michael: I do have a problem re: listening, don't I? :eek: I just go with the flow. Normally too tired to say no. lol thanks you.
~

Aurora: I'll make a point to bring this one to Ashville. :) It's amazing how different they ALL probably look IRL. Thanks girlee.
~

Bella: That sounds exciting!!! I would love to watch something like that. Dropping things from airplanes and running over things might be cool too!! Thanks so much for commenting.
~

Thanks guys for sharing your time with me. :)

brushstroked
09-11-2003, 10:00 AM
She didn't become something else:
she became more herself.

Applauds wildly. :clap:

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Wow! I can't keep up. :D
This is excellent Tam.

Tamana
09-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Laura: A FREAKIN MEN. Wish the world and all in it was like that: more themselves. Love love love seeing art through your eyes. Thank you.
~

Keef: LOL. You want I should take a break?! :D Thanks for your continual encouragement and support. It means mucho coming from the collage king himself. *bows*
~

Time is precious. Thanks for sharing.

VieSaintSo
09-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Tam,
I agree with Aurora, would love to see it live.
Although I am very impress with what i detect by looking at the jpg.
Congrats to you! :clap:

Tamana
09-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Thank you mucho, Vie. Appreciate your time. :)

Dahzl
09-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Bravo !! Tam :clap: :clap: Bella Bella Bella !! Belissimo !!:clap: a metamorphosis from the beautiful to the exquisite ! :D

Love it Tam !

Dahzzzled xxx :D

lascauxcaveman
09-12-2003, 12:30 AM
This is an exciting technique you have. We could have an arty party sometime, great big oil/canvas/collage or something being torched by Tamana, and with three acrylicists standing by holding one per each a large squirt bottle of the primary colors to douse the flames and team of watercolorists following up to blend everything together.

If fueled by the right quantities of beer (and other, more flamable) beverages, could be quite the event.

Ah..., oh hell, waitaminute. They probably do this sorta thing every day at 'Burning Man' Probably even before breakfast.

Tamana
09-12-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by lascauxcaveman
Ah..., oh hell, waitaminute. They probably do this sorta thing every day at 'Burning Man' Probably even before breakfast.

Just goes to show you what one 'woman' (without a drop of alcohol), can do alone. :)

Watercolorists?! I thought you had more imagination than that.
~

Dahhhz Dahlin'!!! Mmmmmmmwwah! Let the games begin. ;) Was it "one for all and all for one" or "all for one and one for all?" I do keep forgetting...and I do so like 4 better than 3...something about odd numbers. You agree? ;)
~

Thank you both for sharing your time and encouragement with me. :) It's appreciated.

mmk
09-12-2003, 01:06 AM
your work has a mysterious quality to me in that it's so far from my realm of style, but i still enjoy seeing it! good stuff

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Feel the same way about yours, mmk. :cool:
Thanks.

Dahzl
09-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Dahhhz Dahlin'!!! Mmmmmmmwwah! Let the games begin. Was it "one for all and all for one" or "all for one and one for all?" I do keep forgetting...and I do so like 4 better than 3...something about odd numbers. You agree?

Dahlink ! I wholeheartedly Agree !! :D :D tho I must admit I do like the number 7 Oh Yeah and 9.......lol

Oi ! Have you had any sleep ??? Or are you just up very early ??:confused: :D

Luv Dahz

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:41 AM
sleep?!! That must be an Aussie term!!! LOL. Actually, I've had my fair share of 8 this week. ;) 7 is good dah'lin'!! We'll do 7, we have 3, no wait, 4 - 3 more to go!!!

You MUST place your photo on the who are you thread!!!! I insist!!!! So we can digitally alter you dahhlin'!! It's an experience you'll never forget. ;)

I'm yellow, you know!! :D

Dahzl
09-12-2003, 01:59 AM
You MUST place your photo on the who are you thread!!!! I insist!!!! So we can digitally alter you dahhlin'!! It's an experience you'll never forget.

Great !! Sounds wonderful I think :confused: :D

I'm yellow, you know!!

Naturally ! :D :D

:D xxx

dudley_d
09-12-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Pete Hubbard
I wondered how you got some of those effects. But you say it's not finished? What about firecrackers and BB guns? I'm sorry I'm inspired. My mind wanders.

A while ago I buried a painting with lye and dug it up after 2 weeks. The result was wow! I got the idea from a show on TV about body disposal.

Good stuff! How long does it take to finish one of these?

I bet your real fun to be around on a paint out! HA HA HA

Tamana
09-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Dahhhhz!!! Your photo dahhlin' your photo!!! We are vaiting!! :D
~

Hey yeah!!! I'm STILL waiting on that lye painting!!! Thanks for reminding me, dudley.

Dahzl
09-13-2003, 02:14 AM
Dahhhhz!!! Your photo dahhlin' your photo!!! We are vaiting!!

Oi ! Dahlink ! :D I've only just located the thread :confused: you know how sloooooooow......... I am :D Haven't even read anything yet :D eeek!

:D