PDA

View Full Version : A "Treat" Whenever You Buy Paper.....

M.L. Schaefer
03-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Whenever I buy paper, I always buy myself a "treat" - A tube of paint I have never ever tried before (or sometimes replacing a tube of paint I've run out of...not as much FUN!).

That's what I did last month. My treat was Da Vinci's Alizarin Gold (PR177 + PY42). It about knocked me off my feet!

Yesterday, after suffering another bout of insomnia (my second in a WEEK - this from a lady who loves her sleep!), but I so wanted to paint! So I roughly sketched out the Tulip Challenge just to find out what I could do with this FIND! I used my golden triangle of Da Vinci's: The new Alizarin Gold (rich and deep), Alizarin (PV19) (bright and vibrant) and Red Rose Deep (PV19) (deeper than Permanent Rose). Painted by paper mixing, or mingling the colors) WOW! Not my sleep-deprived painting, but the color combination, which I would never have found without my treat!

So, once in a while, become adventurous, become wild, become a bit spoiled and treat yourself to a brand new color...whatever brand you want, try a new brand....Add to your color repertoire. It's how I found Maimeri Blu Transparent Mars Brown (PR101), a glowing color that I can use for Burnt Sienna, or to glaze a Burnt Sienna. It is now on my basic pallete and can't do without it!

So, Adventurers Go Forth! :lol:

Margarete

Cyntada
03-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I find that every time I go the the art store, a little something always falls into my basket :D My pocketbook doesn't much like that, but I do!!

Superturtle
03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Yes, I get myself a treat, and as is usually the case with treats, I overindulge!

CharM
03-17-2013, 07:46 AM
What a cool idea Margarete! I do have to say, though, that the treats sometimes throw themselves at me begging to be brought home with me. I do what I can to save them.

Post your tulips! I'm excited to see this spickety new colour!

olliewood0702
03-17-2013, 12:22 PM
A brilliant idea Margarete. BUt like Char sometimes I just buy myself treats that want to come home with me today! :D I will have to give the Alizarin Gold a try! ;)

M.L. Schaefer
03-17-2013, 10:50 PM
CharM and Darla...tossed it, like I said "sleep-deprived." But I will post the color, along with the other colors I used (Alizarin and Red Rose Deep). I tried to use a purple for the darker shadows and as a peek-a-boo purple in the reds (Schmincke Maganese Vio) that didn't work. Blues didn't work, alas!

So same time, same place tomorrow!

:heart: M.

Quinacridone Gold
03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Could you post some of your other favourites too while you are at it? The Old Holland Ultramarine deep, for example!

M.L. Schaefer
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi, all! Jane, :) in fact if you go to CharmS FABULOUS posting in the Gallery: "N\O Backgrounds," you will see the O/H Ultramarine Blue Deep...you can't actually see the warmth with the camera, but it is there! Besides mixing it with O/H Trans Yellow Oxide Lake, I mixed some with D/S Quin Gold for clean grays.

Here are the colors (plus Magenta and Carmine, from another Member's request) (and forgive, I have always been and still am a perfect mess up with swatches!)

1. Alizarin Gold, DaVinci, PR177 + PV19 S-T
2. Alizarin, D/V, PV19 T
3. Red Rose Deep, D/V, PV19 T
4. Perm Rose, D/V, PV19, T
5. Magenta, O/H, PR122, T
6. Magenta, Daler-Rowney Artists, PR122, T
7. Carmine Lake, O/H, PBr23, PR177, PV19, T
8. Carmine, D/V, PV19, T

And, now, I really, really, have to do some drawing and some painting!:)

:heart: Margarete