PDA

View Full Version : New in Pastels

ahughes798
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Last semester I took a drawing II class, and at the end of the course we started using color, with pastel sticks. I bought a 48 stick Conte set. I really liked them, except I wasn't able to be real precise with them, due to the way they're shaped. My sister gifted me with a 48 pastel pencil set, also Conte, and I love them. I have only done about 6 pastels total, but I'm really enjoying them to the point where I kind of feel guilty....like I'm cheating on watercolor, which was my first love, LOL! Anyway, I love seeing everyone's work, you are all so talented!! Wow. I'm just blown away by the stuff I see here, and all over WC. So, I'm posting the last pastel that I got rooked into donating to a benefit for a riding therapy stable. They work with at risk kids, and autistic kids. C&C is always welcome. Not the best pic, Sorry! April

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2013/211825-surf_n_turf.jpg

bobbymac
03-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Welcome to WC April. This is very nice. I like the way you descibe the muscles. Keep posting your work. Bob

ahughes798
03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Thank you, Bob! Much appreciated.

Yannse
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Welcome and have fun!

Dougwas
03-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the world of pastels, April. Your horse piece looks fantastic and you donated it to a great cause. You could always use your watercolors as an under painting for your pastels and then they might not feel so left out. Have fun!

Doug

sketchZ1ol
03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
hello
and welcome .
good posts coming in .

strong and direct !

it would be nice to see the horse more centered , perhaps even left of center
so that the tail and shadow doesn't pull the eye off the right edge of the frame .

reminds me of american and soviet murals from the 1930's - a good thing !

Ed

Dcam
03-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Wonderful: would love to see it straight forward and cropped?
Nice job.
Derek

pastel65
03-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Beautiful. The painting has "energy and movement" which really makes it wonderful. Pam

Turpintine45
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Welcome. Great energy in your horse. Looks like you have caught the Patel addiction!

Deb F
03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
You've got great forward motion in this painting, April. It makes me want to jump out of the way. I like your choice of colors. Doug's suggestion to use the watercolors as underpaintings is an excellent one. I have not tried this myself, but many people on Wetcanvas use this technique to great effect. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Deb

ahughes798
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Thank you all very much for your kind words! A local frame shop donated a very nice double mat for it. The painting got quite a few bids and sold for way more than I thought it would. It was a fun afternoon, and they did riding demonstrations with both handicapped and non-handicapped riders. In fact they also serve adults there, and they even have a program for veterans with physical issues, as well as PTSD. Their oldest rider is 93, and a WWll vet! So, I'll stop blabbing now, LOL! Thanks again, very much!

allydoodle
03-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Welcome to pastels! Nice job on this, I know horse lovers really enjoy having their horses painted..... maybe will be a new avenue for you! Watercolors are beautiful too, I dabble with them as well as gouache. They are also nice for underpaintings with pastels..... nothing ever goes to waste! Nice donation too, I'm sure it was well appreciated.

LLKrueger
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum and to pastel. Your painting is really good. You have clearly captured the sense of movement (never an easy thing) and you gave the horse room to run by leaving space on the left. I also like your limited palette -- really focuses attention on the horse.

Best wishes on your next pastel work. I'm looking forward to your next posting.

Linda