PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian

vstevens123
03-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Looking for any suggestions on my painting, this is my first post, thanks anyone who can help, I painted this from a photo, should I post that as well??

crafor
03-15-2013, 11:25 PM
This is wonderful. Lighting, coloring, pose, etc. Lovely!
Ella

Trumper
03-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Looking for any suggestions on my painting, this is my first post, thanks anyone who can help, I painted this from a photo, should I post that as well??
MY OPINION Lovely painting
Nope,the painting stands out well enough on it's own without needing to compare with a photo :thumbsup: well done and welcome to the forum

Dana Design
03-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Super portrait! Fresh and lively. Well done and welcome!

PaintBoss
03-16-2013, 03:19 PM
:clap: You have done a lovely job. Rich background and those eyes are lively-very realistic! You also did a lovely job with lighting under the chin. Looking at the right earlobe meeting the jaw. Is it a little large? Is the jaw a little wide there? Also perhaps a little more contrast to make the jaw come forward a bit? Just a thought. Without the ref photo its hard to tell. I can tell you have done a very good job "looking, so it is perhaps just the angle of the head in the photo. There is a little more contrast between the other earlobe and jaw and it helps the eye, in my humble opinion. The shadow in the the top of the right ear maybe needs to be stronger with the lighting there-it is a bit washed out right now (as is the hair in front of the ear, so perhaps this is glare from photographing it for us?). Perhaps a little touch darker in the nostrils. I know one never wants black holes in a painting, but you have brought the face into focus by having stronger contrasts in the eyes and mouth. It needs to be consistent in the nose as it is central. However this is being picky, it is wonderful!:clap:
So glad you joined us!:D :thumbsup:

vstevens123
03-16-2013, 08:41 PM
PaintBoss, your comments are appreciated so much, and to be honest, that is what I am looking for, someone to be picky. That is how you learn, and I am still learning. So next time I will post the photo as well. I have three portraits I just finished. How often can one post a picture without seeming greedy??? I would love to learn of portrait artists or artisits in general that you could email your painting and pay a fee for a critique. That is what I would like at this time in my career. I have always had to have a teacher tell me, ok you are done so actually this is one of the first I have done without the help of a teacher.

~JMW~
03-16-2013, 09:03 PM
You may want to have this moved to Structured Critiques - (Looking for serious technical feedback? Post your works for our panel to review! Note: Please see the posting guidelines! )
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=86

Thee are some sites that will critique with good photos - A web search would find some I'm sure. Or a local art gallery might know of local names to suggest.

I think most of the forums here allow/prefer multiple images in a single thread instead of making a new thread for each painting - so it doesn't bump others off the page so quickly. Otherwise the general rule I've seen is 1 thread/painting per day per member.
You can double check that on each forum you post in just to be sure, it's in the sticky threads near the top.

vstevens123
03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
I have tried several times to post on the forum you suggested and I keep getting an error code which says something like ACH there was an error email us.....

Thats great dont mind doing that however WHO do I email???

~JMW~
03-17-2013, 12:29 AM
I used the report button to let the mod/admins know that you would like to have this moved to Structured Critiques.
I hope that works..

There is a portraiture forum also-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?s=&channel_id=25

If nothing else you could make a thread on those forums asking for serious crits, and post the link to this thread so they could comment here all in one place..or something like that I suppose.

Dana Design
03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
We currently have a serious glitch in the WC system and it makes moving threads about almost impossible. And for that, I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do about it. I was able to move this from Works in Progress to the main Open Critique forum.

I will TRY to copy this to the Portraiture forum and also to Structured Critique. But no guarantees. Again, sorry!

ETA: FINALLY! I was able to copy this thread to Structured AND to the Portraiture forum. Check there for comments.

vstevens123
03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Dana and tj84 you are amazing, thank you so much!

vstevens123
03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Dana, I checked out your website, very nice, my favorite was talk to me and putti....... I am looking into getting a website for myself, just not sure where to start, think I will post something on my facebook for suggestions.

Dana Design
03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Dana, I checked out your website, very nice, my favorite was talk to me and putti....... I am looking into getting a website for myself, just not sure where to start, think I will post something on my facebook for suggestions.

You can do your own free site using Weebly.com or you can pay a monthly fee for FineArtStudio Online. I'm sure there are others. FineArtStudio is easy to use.

Bibi Snelderwaard
03-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I think you did a wonderful job, and what a wonderful smile:-)

rossmarie
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
What a cheeky smile and bright eyes! You have done a wonderful job in painting this very engaging little boy. Whether it is truly like his photo we cannot tell, but I am very happy just to view this very good painting. I admire the skill of you portrait painters very much.

Mike :clap: :clap: