PDA

View Full Version : "First Cut" - c&c welcome

pastel lover
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is one I tried after watching a Stephanie Birdsall video. I don't think I quite got her technique, mine isn't loose at all. This is a first try at hay bales & I'm not good at landscapes so I would appreciate your C&C's. Also the flecks of bright blue are only visible in the photo - not in the painting. The blue shows up in all my photos & I can't seem to edit it out. Sorry. Thanks for looking.

Tanja

Davkin
03-15-2013, 08:22 PM
I have that video as well, I highly recommend it. You may not have come out as loose as Stephanie Birdsall but you did make a great painting, I like it a lot. It just feels good to look at it.

David

Dougwas
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
You did a good job for your first attempt at hay bales. They have good shape and form. I have seen others use violets, red violets and orange in their bales. Your painting has great depth to it. Have fun with those bales.

Doug

pastel65
03-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Beautiful. It definitely shows depth. The only thing I would debate removing or perhaps darkening is the little bale to the right of the large one or perhaps removing both of the little ones to the right of that large one. Not familiar at all with video and the artist may have these in there. Just my non-professional thoughts. I know my pastel teacher would make me put a "sparkle" near the center of interest. Pam

Jayde
03-16-2013, 12:03 AM
This turned out quite lovely. I agree with Pam re removing the small bales on the right.

pastel lover
03-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your kind & encouraging comments. I really appreciate it.

David - thank you & yes, it really is a good video. Thank you for your comments on my painting.
Doug - Thank you and although you can see it in the photo, I used violet, dark red & blue in the shadow of bales. Now I wish I had used more but tooth is full.
Pam - thanks so much for you comments & thoughts. This is mostly my ref pic (used BG for pic in IRL) I just used the videos technique. I think that I will remove the bale to the right of large bale as you suggested. I agree that it is kind of throwing things off. Thanks!
Jayde - Thank you for your comments & thoughts.

Tanja

Dcam
03-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Beautiful Tanja:
Bright and colorful.
Derek

pastel lover
03-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Thanks Derek, I appreciate it!
Tanja

Mado
03-17-2013, 03:29 AM
I really love this one ! When you remove the little bale, it will be perfect !

John Palmer Fine Art
03-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Really beautiful work Tanja, well done!

pastel lover
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Hello Mado and John,

Many thanks to each of you for your kind comments. I really appreciate it. Mado - I did take out the small bale & I think I like it better but will post later for opinions. Thanks again.

Tanja

sketchZ1ol
03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
hello
good comments from all .

one thought is to take out the evergreen tree
- it's too distinct/distracting from the rest .

a ' what if ' , is the two largest bales ;
if their placement was reversed , but keeping their horizontal line ,
how would that influence the sense of scale/depth against the trees behind them .... ?
( just a composition thing for ' cut and paste ' with tech toys , or sketch ideas )

the colour/strength of the pastel works all the way from the foreground to the horizon .
if the ref pix is duller , so much the better for you and your choice of sticks ! :)

Ed

Davkin
03-18-2013, 01:53 PM
I like the evergreen, it's kinda like an easter egg, a little reward for actually looking at the painting closely, otherwise it's easy to miss.

David

Donna T
03-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Really nice, Tanja! I am enjoying all the different textures and the good sense of depth. Beautiful color choices too!

Mary Brigid
03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Love the colours and the textures in this Tanja. The texture of the stubble left in the field is excellent.
Mary Brigid

pastel lover
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Hello All,

Thank you for kind comments & helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Ed - I really appreciate your suggestions on the composition, however, I used AS instead of Wallis or UART & the tooth is maxed out & can make small changes but not large ones. But I will keep in mind for next painting. Thank you.
David - thank you. Glad you said that about the Easter egg cause I thought that too.
Donna T - thanks so much.
Mary - thank you.

Tanja