PDA

View Full Version : Morning Walk

Flycatcher10
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Oil Pastel
11x14: gessoed hardboard

Underpainting completed with soft pastels and an alcohol wash.

All C&C are welcomed! Thanks, Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2013/974094-Morning_Walk_..._final.jpg

Reference image from pmp.

Yannse
03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
A peaceful lakefront world, I like it! It looks like my city , many lakes, supper huge lakes, looks like sea, but more peaceful, and the water always are very cold.
sunset and sunrise is best time for walk, few people, wet airs,cold winds, they are singing a song to touch my heart. Other time, the view become normally, is it not easy to paint and attract people.
You are very good at paint sea and lakefront now. In my mind ,you may should try to do a bigger one. when you do bigger painting, you have to find out something more interesting and remarkable , and it is bigger will be easy to use the oil pastel to do some details.
This is just my opinion, basic I am going to sell my painting this summer. I think when the world full of beautiful photograph , we should do something different, use our create and imagine ,create the air , music, wind, ...the six sense, do something fresh. I am considering how to do it. And I think you have good oil pastel skills, you may like to have a try.
Art is the way artist understand the world and share the emotion. Let's discover how to do it on paper.

Flycatcher10
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi Jiemin, thank you for your wonderful comments and especially about your city - how interesting that we are all joined together by the beauty that Mother Nature continually provides us. BTW, it's a seascape scene.

I'm not sure what you mean about the painting - do you find it's missing something, or are you saying it should be bigger, or are you saying I should be painting on paper (I don't like using paper)? Or are you saying there should be something interesting, like boats or people or birds - I'm confused by your message. I think you would have preferred wind and waves coming into shore or a person wandering on the path to bring some emotion into the scene - am I right?

This particular scene caught my eye because it seemed so isolated and so quiet - like in Maine, where I used to live. Because the coast has such great distance, you'll often find quiet little coves with no one or activity around for miles. This appealed to me.

But that doesn't mean later on I can't paint a larger scene with something that wakes up the scenes (wind and waves) to essentially take on a whole different mood and atmosphere.

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it's good to hear your opinion, I appreciate it.

Yannse
03-15-2013, 06:11 PM
My paper include canvas,just not in computer. I just suggest to do bigger one.

Flycatcher10
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I understand now, thank you Jiemin - yes, if I did this painting on a larger surface I would definitely add some incoming waves and maybe someone way out on one of the far paths.

Thanks and see you later!!

SammyH
03-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Mary, it's a calm, serene scene. The sky, sea and rocks are so nice. I like the colors you used for the foreground. In other words, I like everything about it.

I understand Jiemin's desire to soar and try new, creative things. I feel that sometimes. But I also admire artist who specialize and develop great expertise in their specialty. I admire the time and practice you have invested in painting skies and seas. You have come so far and your work is outstanding.

I do know some artists who think a landscape must have some life in it - human on animal. But I think that anything that limits us reduces our ability to create.

You have created a lovely seascape and should be very happy with it.

Pat Isaac
03-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Beautifullt done, Mary and what a lovely sky. I also like the reflection in the little pool. Yes, it is very Maine like.

Pat

Flycatcher10
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi Sammy: thanks for taking the time to comment on Morning Walk, appreciate your kind words of continued support and encouragement. Thank you for your thoughts, I don't disagree with Jiemin she had good points - I only know on a personal note when I started jumping from subject-to-subject I felt and my paintings looked scattered.

Hi Pat: Thank you so much, it means a lot to get your feedback. I thought of Maine, only needs a few pine trees to complete the picture! Thanks!

paul444
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
A beautiful painting Mary. Very tranquil. That sky is awesome.

Flycatcher10
03-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Hi Paul: Thanks so much, the sky was a fun to work out in oil pastels. Thanks!

talinka
04-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Wow, first of all I must say I envy your morning walks. :)
Beautiful scene. I love the reflection of the water in water.
Also I have a question since you are indeed so specialized in drawing water- the ripples in the sea in the BG- HOW DO YOU DO IT???? It's just that I'm working on the fountain drawing for the OP challenge of this month (which I happen to be hosting- free advertisement :evil: ), and I can't seem to get it right... Could you maybe post a zoom in? Thanks :)

Flycatcher10
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi Tali, so great to hear from you! Hope you are well. Thanks so much for your comments on Morning Walk - also appreciate your compliment on waves.

In this particular scene the tide has gone out, as a result what you see behind the middle ground land is exposed ocean floor with small rocks, and sand crevices, etc. There aren't really waves in this back, so when I painted it - the style I used is more scumble and with a tortillium for medium texture to the area, w/o putting in detail, most of what you see was achieved by working values.

This photo is awful, my hand was shaking and the 2nd one I took wasn't any better. Sorry that you can't see the detail any better, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I did to produce these results. Let me know if you have any other questions. Nice to see you back online. Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2013/974094-closeup_on_morning_walk_001.jpg

talinka
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks Mary. :)