PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor injuries?

Superturtle
03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Have you ever hurt yourself doing watercolor? Today I dug a mini spatula about halfway down my nailbed because my hand slipped when removing a page from an Arches block. It wasn't exactly a gruesome injury, but it was also an amusingly lame way to hurt myself.

Anyone else? Watercolor battle scar sharing?

sashntash
03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
No injuries to report, but lots of losses.....

i.e. every time that I wash my brush in my coffee instead of my water bucket. Darn... have to then go make some fresh coffee :D

Saint Ragdoll
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Trying to paint plein aire sitting on a very small 3 leg stool by a stream....the problem was I was a little too close to the stream, the ground was very soft, one leg of the stool suddenly began to sink and so I fell on my butt, all the time tryin not to drop my paper and paintbox! I thought my husband would fall down himself from laughing at me.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

virgil carter
03-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes, I hurt my brain often, sometimes multiple times a day. Very painful. I don't know why I keep painting!

Sling paint (and Band-Aids),
Virgil

WthrLady
03-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Mockingbird attack. I won.
Ticks.....not sure, or want to know what I picked up working down by the river last summer. Blistering sunburns.
BP oil spill fumes, corexit.

Plein air is dangerous.

Almost put my hairdryer down in the waterbucket in the studio once. Promptly installed a hook for hairdryer.

Cleaned brushes in drinking water, bought tervis cups with lids.

Superturtle
03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Lol these are hilarious!

Virgil, I know the brain pain of which you speak. It's a chronic painting condition, I think.

Marcio C
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
In 2011, I was painting plein air at the parking lot of a trail head in Lyons, and as I was setting up my easel, I took a few steps to the right to see if the view was better, when all of a sudden I heard a loud rattling sound that made me jump higher and farther than I believed possible for myself... when I turned and looked back I saw I'd stepped within four feet of a rattlesnake... I have a photo of the reptile somewhere, I took with my cell phone...

virgil carter
03-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Painting outdoors and at outdoor workshops can be dangerous. My pack always contains sun screen, insect repellant and a first aid kit. Snakes, spiders, ticks and the like can be present most anywhere, so Marcio's experience is a good heads-up.

Not so bad as the leeches in Vietnam, however.

Sling paint,
Virgil

D'Lady
03-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Everytime I make art, my pocketbook starts screaming. I'm sure it's injured somehow, but the only emergency contact number I can find is answered by a nice person at Cheap Joe's.

juneto
03-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Summer bugs crawling over my wet paper and splatters of mask or water , but not much else .
I do get upset by dropped and slide
off brushes and Curses are heard around the room .
Yes .I Yell "Curses " and Louie says" What's the matter . Honey ?" I say , Oh, Nothing .
Just ignore me .
June:wink2: :wink2: :wave: :evil:

StewGold
03-16-2013, 06:12 AM
Painting , there's been a toothpick under a thumbnail, and the cat decided, there must be a fish in the water pot and it got bounced off the table. Pleinaire I've been deep in concentration (in a state of total confusion/hadn't a clue what to do next ) and had the cat reach up and dig his claws into my back. It's surprising how loud you can yell. There's a midgie headset to stop the eyelids getting bitten, but mostly I've been ok.

Taking pictures, there was an occasion to be in wellies in the middle of the river. Tripod got lowered and lowered, eventually I knelt down to check the framing of the waterfall. There's something about one wellington full of water that's actually worse than two. Even with the tripods towel, there was a soggy walk home.

Aderynglas
03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
I sliced a finger when sharpening a pencil with a scalpel, ready to start on a painting :eek: Luckily no blood was spilled on the expensive paper :) I now use a rotary sharpener, much safer :smug:

I've also poked myself in the eye with a brush, W&N Artists Sables are longer than normal bushes LOL

I've also been bitten by midges and ants, apparently I'm delicious :evil:

Mostly though, more injury has been done to the paper than to myself :D

M.L. Schaefer
03-16-2013, 05:52 PM
These are so hilarious! I've been raking my brains...nothing. Spilt bottle of masking fluid, cat loving to sit on table to get a better view of the birds, came CLOSE to poking myself in the eye....

Oh, wait, I was scraping paint from a well, stabbed my finger with the scraping tool, and, yes, blood. No bandaids in the house, used disinfectant and wrapped it with tissue and a rubber band.

Margarete

Riverfrog
03-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Plein air painting is a risk, on one occasion I insisted on painting a particular view which meant standing in full sun and passed out.

So the next time stood under a tree for shade and an entire ants nest took over my canvas paint bag and I didn`t notice this until they started crawling up my trouser leg, ouch!:eek:

and yes I have done the three leg stool trick and fallen backwards into a ditch legs up in the air, since then I stand at the easel.
We live and learn.

WthrLady
03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Let's just say that I found out the hard way that my SPF UV 80 spray is no longer FRESH today. UGH.

Just call me Lobster Girl! I'm English Earth RED ! LOL.

Superturtle
03-16-2013, 07:42 PM
I sliced a finger when sharpening a pencil with a scalpel, ready to start on a painting :eek: Luckily no blood was spilled on the expensive paper :) I now use a rotary sharpener, much safer ::D

Argh, I always picture this whenever I'm around these things! I have never tempted fate by sharpening a pencil with one - I'm sure it would go very badly. I guess my technique around sharp objects is so nerve-wracking to watch my husband will actually stop me from cutting apples.