PDA

View Full Version : WIP Saturday Class - Beach Scene

pastel65
03-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Here is a WIP from Saturday's class. Did not post right away since if you live in the states you can understand "getting tax information ready for accountant" Teacher assisted with this. A lot more to go. Picture taken from a instructional book by J. Penny. Thanks for looking. Pamhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2013/1114042-chair.jpg

DAK723
03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Looking good so far!

Don

pastel65
03-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Well here it is done. Already under glass so ignore reflections. Teacher did a lot on the umbrella. I probably should not have done the first posting since it was done in class realizing that the teacher may do some of the painting. My problem was I did the sketch but everytime I added a color I ruined the fine lines of the umbrella so she helped me get them back. Pamhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/1114042-mms_picture_9.jpg

Dougwas
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
There is nothing wrong with posting something you did in a class, so don't worry about that. You ended up with a very good beach scene. Sometimes the only way we learn is to watch somebody else do the task, so I think I would let a teacher touch up my painting.

Have fun painting some more!

Doug

pastel65
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks Doug. I do learn a lot from this teacher but I was afraid monitor would make an issue of it being done with assistance. Pam

allydoodle
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
You don't need to worry Pam, you can post paintings done in class. Just let us know, and people will jump in and offer crits if you want them. We are all learning, this is not a competition here! Post away, everybody is glad to help.

Way back when, I took weekly lessons from a great pastel artist. He was a PSA member (not anymore, he doesn't feel he needs to bother - when you get to a certain age, I guess you just don't care anymore :lol: ), and his work was and still is remarkable. He is now a very good friend of mine. I don't take lessons with him anymore (sometimes we outgrow situations), but I learned so much from him. I let him paint on my work all the time. I never entered them into shows, they were for learning purposes only, and boy did I learn! I would watch what he would do with what I had :eek: , he turned something that was lacking into a winner every time. Just seeing what he did taught me so much, I really gained insight into how he thought and how he saw things. I highly recommend that approach as it worked for me. There are many artists that will never let their teacher work on their work, I've had students like that. I feel they are loosing out, but I never force the issue. Everybody has their preferences.

Keep at it, this looks great! I'm sure you learned quite a bit just watching your teacher!

pastel65
03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks Chris. Pam

Mary Brigid
03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
I really like this. I can hear the wave and I want to sit and idle in that lovely chair.
Mary Brigid

pastel65
03-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks Mary - we just retired near the NJ shore so I hope to be able to do some beach scenes. Of course we moved here before Sandy but we were inland. Pam