PDA

View Full Version : Mountain scene

adlercomo
03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
My friend grew up on this mountain. She asked me for a painting for xmas. Little late but done. I hope she likes it.

9 x 12 on canson mi tientes.

I used Nupastels, Mt. vision, rembdts, shmincke, and sennelier.
I have trouble with the ground, hard for me to get the shrubs right. I usually default to clumps of grassy bunches. But all in all, I'm pretty happy with it.
C & C welcome.
Thanks for looking,
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/1174506-mammoth.jpg

pastel lover
03-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Beautiful painting - you should be happy with it. Love the light on the right side of the mountains. I do find the two large rocks in the center of foreground a little distracting from the center of interest which I assume is the light on the mountains. They seem a little too lined up. Maybe staggering them would help or varying shape more. Then again could just be me - it is a wonderful painting as is. Your friend is sure to be thrilled.

Tanja

~JMW~
03-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Love the sky & mountains!
They are so vivid and clear.

Is the diagonal mid ground line a tree line or shrubby stuff?
I think I see some evergreens but size wise they would have to be quite distant?
Something in the mid ground seems off perspective/tone wise..:confused:

I think I see the foreground grasses & rocks on ground that slopes downhill or a cliff edge?, to a treeline then across a little valley to the mountains?

adlercomo
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Thank you both.
tj, yes they are shrubby stuff. I think you are seeing it correctly, I don't know what happens beyond those shrubs either.

I just try to paint it how I see it. I am just a beginner so I don't make a lot of adjustments mostly because I don't really know how or what in terms of tone and value. If it's in the picture, I paint it. Hopefully I'll learn more about taking license with color and value adjustments. For now I am just happy when it turns out looking like the photo.

pastel65
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I am also a beginner but would suggest removing the large rock. Put you hand over it and see if you like the painting without it.
Pam