PDA

View Full Version : Rolling

Flycatcher10
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Oil Pastel, 8x10
Gessoed Hardboard - underpainting completed with soft pastels and an alcohol wash.

Got a little slick toward the end of painting this and pretty much lost the tooth, so done kind of became the final.

All comments welcomed. Thanks, Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/974094-Rolling_final.jpg

Reference photo used from pmp.

scottishwifie
03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
This is great work I can imagine being there watching the waves

mirizar
03-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Wonderful as usual Mary! Very believable!

parikk
03-07-2013, 12:37 AM
I love how the water breaks amazing !

SAI70
03-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Strong touches and strokes Mary as usual in your waves paintings.
Very well done. :thumbsup: :)

Sherif

Flycatcher10
03-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi Scottishwife: thanks so much for your wonderful feedback.

Hi Michelle: thank you, appreciate it!

Hi Parik: thanks, oil pastels handle water very well. It was a lot of fun!

Hi Sherif: Nice to hear from you, thank you for commenting!

Yannse
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I like it ! It looks like really, I can feel the cold .It is new for me to us pastel under oil pastel, I should try it. Thanks for your share!

Pat Isaac
03-07-2013, 05:24 PM
You are on such a roll with the sea images....no pun intended....
Great work Mary.

Pat

Flycatcher10
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Hi Jiemin: Thank you for your great comments. When I use soft pastel as an underpainting, I do it mainly for values and shapes. It's not a heavy underpainting, it's used as a blocked-in guide (although the alcohol necessary to seal the soft pastel, kind of spreads the soft pastel a little too much - I need to gain more control over this if I want it to be more effective). Pat Issac uses oil paints as an underpainting, Michelle uses both acrylic and watercolor, Sammy uses acrylics. In otherwords, know your purpose for the underpainting, how each medium will work under the oil pastel and then just have fun!!!

Hi Pat: Too funny!!! Thank you as always for your support and encouragement - it's never ending learning, that's for sure.

RainySea
03-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Beautiful. I would love to hear more of u technique with the soft pastel and alcohol

gakinme
03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Mary, this got to be my favorite of all your waves. Very solid, superb highlights, just the right muddy tones and greens.

Flycatcher10
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi RainySea: thank you very much for your lovely comment, really appreciate it! I'll put a new thread over on OP Techniques explaining how I use soft pastels w/alcohol wash with examples so you can see the process. I actually picked up the tip in one of Paula Ford's demonstrations under pastels, which gave me the idea for testing it with oil pastels and it worked.

Hi Sandra: So good to hear from you, I checked out "The Long Road" on Monday to see how you were doing. It was good to see your paintings again and that you didn't sell your whole collection - I think you have many more paintings just waiting to spill out onto canvas. My prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and lovely comment - wow! It's much appreciated!!!

fishfan
03-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Interesting colors in the water and sand, and of course, lots of movement. Well done. The only thing that bothers me is the water above the breaking wave. I'm not sure if it's supposed the be the trough and wall from the next wave, but my mind wants that area to extend further in the distance and lie flatter. Maybe it's just me.

SammyH
03-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Beautiful colors and movement, Mary. I like how you depict the sand being carried in the aftermath of the wave. Lovely painting.

Flycatcher10
03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Ed: thank you for your comments and feedback, much appreciated! I cropped out the back of the image, for a close-up. There was a slight movement on angle, as you see - perhaps it's been slanted just a bit too much I'll go back in and revisit this. Good eye, thanks for mentioning!

Hi Sammy: thank you so much for your feedback. Some of the colors evolved as the OPs were being put down - it was interesting watching them come to life (scary at times as well, because some didn't cooperate as well)!