PDA

View Full Version : PORTRAIT THREAD critiques, Ken Vloothuis

Ken Instructor
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Here is the official portrait thread, submit any portraits here for brief critiques, from yours truly, Ken Vloothuis.

LadyMadonna
03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I am really happy to see this thread to get some feedback and improvement on my wanna be portraits. Like you Ken, I am a great admirer of the Masters ..Sargent and Zorn being my favorites. Having stumbled on my own since last summer I have a few of them for your critique. I do thank you for this opportunity to learn. I posted this one to your Dad's thread and he has always been kind enough to comment but I am aware that he prefers landscapes. I have done several studies lately.Running blind not really sure of what I am doing. I hope other artists post as well so we can all learn from one another. Okay here is the first ..this is a Sargent study that looks nothing like the original...no surprise there. The features are off as usual but I am enjoying the process of eye making..after all, it is the window to the soul.
This was before our "planes of the face" class.. Can you guess which Sargent this one is based on ..there is a subtle clue !
Thanks so much once again. Anxious for your critiques. This is a great warm up prelude to your next webinar in Portaiture.

Ken Instructor
03-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I am really happy to see this thread to get some feedback and improvement on my wanna be portraits. Like you Ken, I am a great admirer of the Masters ..Sargent and Zorn being my favorites. Having stumbled on my own since last summer I have a few of them for your critique. I do thank you for this opportunity to learn. I posted this one to your Dad's thread and he has always been kind enough to comment but I am aware that he prefers landscapes. I have done several studies lately.Running blind not really sure of what I am doing. I hope other artists post as well so we can all learn from one another. Okay here is the first ..this is a Sargent study that looks nothing like the original...no surprise there. The features are off as usual but I am enjoying the process of eye making..after all, it is the window to the soul.
This was before our "planes of the face" class.. Can you guess which Sargent this one is based on ..there is a subtle clue !
Thanks so much once again. Anxious for your critiques. This is a great warm up prelude to your next webinar in Portaiture.

POst the original Donna, so I can see. Right off the bat, something is wrong with your temperatures. But I need to see what Sargent did. Without the understanding of temperatures, it will be very hard to understand color. Give me a day to respond, but post the original.

LadyMadonna
03-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Here is the original Ken. I will do that from now on.

Ken Instructor
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Ok Donna, warm up those shadows, and make the halftones warmer than one but cooler than the other. The photo just above looks like cool light, which is the one you painted from. The temperature relationships of the first one, are off, but that is the pic, this painting is in the MFA.
What I should do is do a portrait drawing PAINT ALONG, using SArgent's portraits as reference so that as we draw, I discuss each detail of what he did. This would be better, before going into the painting part. The pencil helps you explore details more, by virtue of being a precise medium.

Your brushwork is interesting, especially in how you treated the eye.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Pinklady219
03-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Thank you for beginning this thread Ken. I am excited about painting my great nieces portrait. (and others) This is one I did the other night and I would like to know how I can make it look better. I know I have a lot to learn and so happy to have you. It is watercolor and may be overworked some but I need to loosen up too. thank you again Carol Oh, I'm enclosing the photo of her also.

LadyMadonna
03-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you Ken. I will work on that. Here is my next study ..again from Sargent. I was reading how he liked to paint the jewellery on the women sitters to get it gleam like diamonds....heavy impasto. A portrait paint -a -long would be awesome !
ps I have found I love doing the eyes even though it freaks me out sometimes. :)

Vida Evenson
03-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Ken,

So happy to see this thread :) may get up my nerve to try portraits again. I did try a few years ago but didn't get very far. Will be here watching (lurking until I actually do one ;) )

Dana Design
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Painted this 2 years ago or so and it's now sold with having won a couple of awards along the way. Interestingly, each portrait is different in terms of difficulty...some just seem to flow off the canvas and others are a total struggle. This came to life easily and I loved painting it. It's called "Through a Child's Eyes".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2013/29065-Through-A-Childs-Eyes-800.jpg

Glad to see a portrait thread here!

LadyMadonna
03-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Dana that is just perfect. I hope one day to be able to capture half as well as that. Thank you for posting.

MapperGis
03-10-2013, 10:16 AM
What I should do is do a portrait drawing PAINT ALONG, using Sargent's portraits as reference so that as we draw, I discuss each detail of what he did. This would be better, before going into the painting part. The pencil helps you explore details more, by virtue of being a precise medium.

Your brushwork is interesting, especially in how you treated the eye.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:[/quote]

YES!! YES!! YES!! WHEN CAN WE SIGN UP!
Lois

Ken Instructor
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you for beginning this thread Ken. I am excited about painting my great nieces portrait. (and others) This is one I did the other night and I would like to know how I can make it look better. I know I have a lot to learn and so happy to have you. It is watercolor and may be overworked some but I need to loosen up too. thank you again Carol Oh, I'm enclosing the photo of her also.

Right off the bat, you missed the shadow on his right side, our left. That is very important to that form. I suggest reworking it, even though it cost you a lot of effort, it does not matter, you will only get better if you redo it, many times until it is right. Do not rework on the same painting if your mistake is foundational.

Ken Instructor
03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Thank you Ken. I will work on that. Here is my next study ..again from Sargent. I was reading how he liked to paint the jewellery on the women sitters to get it gleam like diamonds....heavy impasto. A portrait paint -a -long would be awesome !
ps I have found I love doing the eyes even though it freaks me out sometimes. :)

pretty close, but you are missing lighter values on the face. I am surprised how he cooled those tones. You did not modify that photo right? Because I see Sargent played with warm and cool much more than I thought, confirming what I know!!!! I will paint this myself, I cannot resist it. And, I am thinking of doing a draw along where we study Sargent's portrait, you can draw with me as I break the head down into a logical process. I think more of you need more drawing skills before going into the painting webinar. I will need to see several submissions of drawing before I determine whether the community is whether do it in paint. I recommend this highly, since the pencil will force you to notice things that the brush as a tool would make you sweep away.

Ken Instructor
03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Painted this 2 years ago or so and it's now sold with having won a couple of awards along the way. Interestingly, each portrait is different in terms of difficulty...some just seem to flow off the canvas and others are a total struggle. This came to life easily and I loved painting it. It's called "Through a Child's Eyes".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2013/29065-Through-A-Childs-Eyes-800.jpg

Glad to see a portrait thread here!

well, you don't see to have a problem with the forma and features, the person looks like a possible person, whether it looks like the reference or not, I see a human being, which is important. I always say, if you cannot get the painting to look like the person, then for the love of God, at least make it look like a human, any human. But this usually never happens because if they can get the portrait to look like a human, matching the likeness will hardly be a problem. Why? Because the likeness is a drawing, form, value, temperature problem, not the particularity of the person, so that if you master what I mentioned, one person's likeness should not be harder to capture than the other.
Are you happy with the painting? If so, that is all that counts, my next step would be, well what about the concept? The composition? It looks like a person and the reference, but what about the surrounding material?

Ken Instructor
03-11-2013, 01:52 PM
What I should do is do a portrait drawing PAINT ALONG, using Sargent's portraits as reference so that as we draw, I discuss each detail of what he did. This would be better, before going into the painting part. The pencil helps you explore details more, by virtue of being a precise medium.

Your brushwork is interesting, especially in how you treated the eye.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
YES!! YES!! YES!! WHEN CAN WE SIGN UP!
Lois[/quote]

Yeah just let me edit the webinar video then I will get that started, see, I need to demonstrate how to paint with the pencil so that it behaves like a brush so that when you can draw with the brush and paint with the pencil. The point is to think that though it is the same medium, the task is the same. Sargent's charcoal portraits look like charcoal paintings, because he thought and treated the medium, thinking like a painter, and had such good drawing skills that his brush would obey this. So we are observing a symmetry or parallelism from one medium to the other.

Ken Instructor
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Donna, could you post the name of the sitter or painting so I can google the whole painting? I am suspecting it can be a Rothschild or maybe I.S. Gardner, I am not sure.

Ken Instructor
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM

Soften the hair just a bit, and the area between the upper lip and nose what is the name of it again? where the mustache grows? Soften it, you hardened it a bit, which adds 3 years to him in age, babies and toddlers have incredibly soft curves, and as we grow, they harden up. Other than that you are fine, nice work, you do have skills.

susanc
03-12-2013, 12:39 AM
The pencil class sounds really good, too! I'm not any good at portraits but I figure why not learn as much as I can about them? I can only get better!

No wonder you wanted to paint the same portrait that Donna painted--that is the very last portrait that Sargent painted. All his knowledge was in that one! (Well-chosen and painted, Donna!) I've never seen it so close up before and I never realized how exquisite it is.

"When at last the portrait was finished, George [George Nathaniel, the Marquess Curzon of Kedleston], went with me to see it. Sargent and I waited in some trepidation for his verdict - at least, I did, because Sargent was a somewhat prickly character who did not care for criticism, and I dreaded some crushing moment from George. George stood for a long time gazing at the portrait, with his back to us as we stood in silence behind him. Then he suddenly turned round to us with the tears running down his face and seized both of Sargent's hands in his own, exclaiming, 'But it is ideal - I could not wish for anything better!' My relief was enormous, and Sargent seemed genuinely pleased, as indeed he might be by so spontaneous and heartfelt a tribute. Poor man, he died very soon afterwards, and this portrait of me was hung in the Royal Academy Exhibition of that year with a wreath of laurel leaves as a memorial to this great painter whose last exhibited picture it was." recalled (http://jssgallery.org/Paintings/Grace_Elvina.htm) by Grace Elvina Hinds Duggan Curzon, Marchioness Curzon of Kedleston (1879-1958).

Vida Evenson
03-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Well Ken..... if you do this kind of webinar I'll have to find a way to join...... would LOVE this! Let us know when :)

Ken Instructor
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
well, you don't see to have a problem with the forma and features, the person looks like a possible person, whether it looks like the reference or not, I see a human being, which is important. I always say, if you cannot get the painting to look like the person, then for the love of God, at least make it look like a human, any human. But this usually never happens because if they can get the portrait to look like a human, matching the likeness will hardly be a problem. Why? Because the likeness is a drawing, form, value, temperature problem, not the particularity of the person, so that if you master what I mentioned, one person's likeness should not be harder to capture than the other.
Are you happy with the painting? If so, that is all that counts, my next step would be, well what about the concept? The composition? It looks like a person and the reference, but what about the surrounding material?]
I meant to say 'well, you don't SEEM to have a problem'.... That there is nothing apparently wrong with the technicality of form and shading.

The Sargent portrait is too exquisite.

Donna you gotta go on with that brushwork of yours, there are many styles out there that have a similar look. You just gotta brush up on your proportions and elements that you cannot mess with.
Keep the thread going!!!!

LadyMadonna
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Another Sargent study. I did not alter any of the photos. What you see is what you get. I was quite pleased with this effort though I know it is not yet where I want to be. I agree I need to do more sketching and I will.
Bad nose.

LadyMadonna
03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
As far as I know Ken the name of the sitter was Madame Errazuriz..Sargent would paint her several times.

susanc
03-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Donna, I love your last painting! In my eyes, the skin tones are getting more beautiful with each attempt--
Is it possible to share where you are getting these incredible close-ups? I rarely come across anything as nice on the web. (If not, I understand!)
Thanks!

LadyMadonna
03-14-2013, 06:56 AM
From a friend of mind who has seen the work. He does mind the sharing.

LadyMadonna
03-14-2013, 07:50 AM
You are correct Susan I was looking at another painting.It is Curzon.

Dana Design
03-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Are you happy with the painting? If so, that is all that counts, my next step would be, well what about the concept? The composition? It looks like a person and the reference, but what about the surrounding material?

Yes, I am happy with the painting. The concept was to focus on what the child may be feeling, thinking, whether one interprets a female or male child. As for the composition, again, the focus was on the child's face, the eyes in particular, and after much thought, I did not think it needed anything other than a dark background. Surrounding material would have been superfluous to my eyes. Oftimes, I believe that portraits are "muddied up" by too much going on around them and losing the focal point (the sole idea) of the painting.

While not painting in the style of Rembrandt, I do appreciate the chiaroscuro effect he exhibited in his work along with the intensity of the gaze.

LLeone
03-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Ken: I'd love to do a paint along portrait with you!! Meanwhile, I'm waiting for your editing to be done so that I can purchase your videos : ) I wasn't able to attend the classes and am currently in the midst of a double portrait that needs help ... sigh ... I guess I'll just have to wait.

SweetMe
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
:wave: Ken,
Guess I will have to get busy and try to do some portraits to upload (once I figure out how to do that, upload that is).
I am looking forward to next class and wonder if you know yet when the download for your last (excellent, over the top) class will be available for purchase???
God bless you and yours, have a funny week.

Ken Instructor
03-18-2013, 02:04 PM
:wave: Ken,
Guess I will have to get busy and try to do some portraits to upload (once I figure out how to do that, upload that is).
I am looking forward to next class and wonder if you know yet when the download for your last (excellent, over the top) class will be available for purchase???
God bless you and yours, have a funny week.

Yes I am working on the video as we I type, however, F&W Media may take their pretty time in uploading them, just because I send the video edited, to them, does not mean its going to be put up right away. If I did not have this much work I would be more attentive to the threads. If Johannes and I were doing this on our own, we would not need to have the middle man and all the videos would be put up a week afterwards.

Ken Instructor
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Donna, proportions, proportions, proportions! Take more time to measure the relative distance and size of what is going on. No matter how good the tones, are if your drawing is not accurate, the portrait will never be forgiven. I would rather see incomplete portraits with accurate proportions, than nicely shaded portraits with the eye moving too much to one side or the other. Get what I mean? Start working on that. In the draw along I will discuss this. How to measure etc.

susanc
03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
From a friend of mind who has seen the work. He does mind the sharing.
Thanks--no problem!

tennisqueen
03-19-2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2013/88714-IMG_0107.jpg

here is a 16 x 20 portrait I did of my granddaughter in pastel.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif

LadyMadonna
03-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I do. I am enrolled in a life drawing class as I type. Understand completely .

Ken Instructor
03-20-2013, 07:24 PM
I am starting to recommend books, here goes the first one, in which I largely based my webinar in. I read this books many years ago and it attributed to a landmark in my growth. It is from David Leffel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2013/1111932-leffel.jpg

Some of the most popular art instruction books ever written have been based on student notes culled over the years from actual workshop sessions, with all their power and immediacy - and with practical, on-to-one contact between student and teacher. This is such a book. For more than two years, Linda Cateura has pursued teacher / artist David A. Leffel, notebook in hand, as he critiqued the work of students. Linda Cateura's succinct notes capture his insights, philosophy, painting hints, and general comments.Leffel's classic, painterly, twentieth-century old master style, much in the manner of Rembrandt or Chardin, affords ample illustration of the ideas expressed - through his many paintings, details, demonstrations, and diagrams, almost all in color.
No matter what your level of ability, there is something here to apply to your own work, ideas that will cause you to rething your own ways of painting, hints to save you effort, or solutions to persistent painting problems.
Author: David Leffel

Order Now! (http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=095305049938004703&atid=Oil+Painting+Secrets+From+A+Master&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/oil-painting-secrets-from-a-master-u0447)
Price: $24.95

Jacdesusbielle
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2013/1067432-2012_10_14.jpg

This a portrait I did a few months ago for a charity. Can't give you the reference photo for I did not keep it, it was not mine. Is it interesting nevertheless for your critique ?

Jacdesusbielle
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I am sorry for the size of this photo. Either it is too big or too small..... Ken don't bother to loose your eyes on this stamp of a portrait. I will try to learn how to resize properly. I have got other portraits I'd be interested to submit to your judgement. Thanks for this thread.

tennisqueen
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi Ken,
I would love to have a critique of this painting I did, of my granddaughter in pastel. Thanks:)
Judy

polly
03-24-2013, 09:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/787-cassandra_-_Copy_3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/787-steven.jpg
I hope you can critique these for me! My grand daughter "Cassie" and "in Memoriam" for my boy Steve.Both done in watercolor.
I would take your class if you are also showing how to do portraits in watercolor as well as oils?

Thanks Phyllis

Ken Instructor
03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2013/88714-IMG_0107.jpg

here is a 16 x 20 portrait I did of my granddaughter in pastel.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif

Nothing here really strikes me as odd or incorrect, anything I say would just be nitpicking and looking very close, like be more subtle with the hair approaching her eye, and not to repeat the two arms below, because they read as clones, but this would have been hard to avoid, but some artists would put one in the shade. Nice mood.

Ken Instructor
03-24-2013, 01:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/787-cassandra_-_Copy_3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/787-steven.jpg
I hope you can critique these for me! My grand daughter "Cassie" and "in Memoriam" for my boy Steve.Both done in watercolor.
I would take your class if you are also showing how to do portraits in watercolor as well as oils?

Thanks Phyllis

Softer hair, dont forget the anatomy of the eye, and the highlight, careful with teeth. Interesting values.
The boy in the bottom does not seem anatomically correct, his hands, but I am sure you notice that. Anything anatomically incorrect in the body stands out like a sore thumb to another human being, it is very easy to see it, so no sense reminding on checking that. I like the mood, you did succeed in giving a mood.

MY advice, don't touch watercolor when it comes to something so precise and demanding as portraiture, it is hard enough to understand the subject, yet alone handle the medium well enough to obey you when you do not have a full grip on the subject itself. This is why it is better to use a learning friendly medium, instead of the ones the commit you to a certain look, or that you need to know how to work in your favor.
Ken

Ken Instructor
03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
This a portrait I did a few months ago for a charity. Can't give you the reference photo for I did not keep it, it was not mine. Is it interesting nevertheless for your critique ?
Anatomically, the eyes may not be in line, but that may be the illusion of the small photo. Aesthetically, my eye feels the need fore more cool colors, and skin tone variation for interest. As an artist you need to know how to add interest to the subject even if it is not there, getting it accurate is not always the end results, its getting it prettier or more artistic than what it is.

Ken Instructor
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2013/1067432-2012_10_14.jpg

One more thing, either crop some of the upper body, since it is too much of the same mass, OR, put some jewelery or ornaments, or shading of the muscles or underlying bones there. I am just worried you have too much of the same mass there. You see what I mean? That African lady aching for some jewelery, she is a lady! You should know, dress her up how a woman would love!!! Women should be the best in ornamenting women in portraits ahahaaha, take her through the shopping mall or local bazaar!..
I am just trying to give you aesthetic considerations.
I like it though, even more because I know what it could be missing.

Love the expression, and simplified background! Generally, if I do not mention something it is because it is good.

wetbob
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Some quick sketches with charcoal, in my sketch bookhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/100299-1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/100299-2.JPG

Thnx for watching:wave:

LadyMadonna
03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
This is an exercise from a portrait book that I have...still do not like it but I am trying to get there.

Jacdesusbielle
03-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Thank you Ken for looking at this stamp sized photo..... I quite agree with the lack of jewellery on the neck of the woman letting a too big mass of bare skin on the upper body. Surprisingly, I did not notice before you said it ...... Agreed as well for adding some cool colours for interest although I am still very shy to use them when I do not see them. Hope I'll learn to be bolder with your courses on portrait !

Ken Instructor
03-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Some quick sketches with charcoal, in my sketch bookhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/100299-1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/100299-2.JPG

Thnx for watching:wave:

Good values and technique for shading, just watch for anatomy/proportions and line quality

Ken Instructor
03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
This is an exercise from a portrait book that I have...still do not like it but I am trying to get there.

As always great handing of the brush and background effects. I like the colors better and values as well, just work more on the anatomy of the features and body, but this will take a long time to get right. For this you need pencil mileage more than brush mileage.

Ken Instructor
03-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Thank you Ken for looking at this stamp sized photo..... I quite agree with the lack of jewellery on the neck of the woman letting a too big mass of bare skin on the upper body. Surprisingly, I did not notice before you said it ...... Agreed as well for adding some cool colours for interest although I am still very shy to use them when I do not see them. Hope I'll learn to be bolder with your courses on portrait !
It is not about what you see, it is about what you should see or what should be there. The eye gets overwhelmed by having too much of one temperature without the other one to offset it. Artists plan full compositions on it regardless of the subject matter. In my book 'I did not see it' is no excuse :wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2::thumbsup: I like, 'how do I make it better? or what should be there, Ken?'

See what I mean? Art and real life are not necessarily parallel to each other.

I discussed this alot in my first webinar if you are interested in getting a copy. But Johannes and I generally preach that real life and Art have different rules.

Best of luck and keep at it, you are very talented.

Journeyman
03-30-2013, 04:34 PM
This was done at the local portrait group, it’s a three hour session with a good lighting set up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/95424-Portrait_Group_07-03-13.jpg

I used a Zorn palette and would be pleased for any tips on improving my direct painting.

:wave: Dave

LadyMadonna
03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Another Sargent study... I know she is rather homely but then again Sargent's model was not too pleasing herself. Aside from that I tackled this one a different way. I did the background first and grew the head and face outwards from that. Though not a pretty subject I do find the portrait more three dimensional than all the others. I have read that Sargent would take days and weeks just to get the shape of the head right before any facial features. p. s. I have been practising with pencil when I do not have a brush in my hand.
Thanks for helping all of us along Ken.

Linda Reyes1959
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/978726-scan0001.jpg This is a drawing I did a few years ago.

wetbob
04-03-2013, 03:00 AM
thnx Ken for replying!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2013/100299-1.JPG
graphite in sketchbook, about 1 hour

wetbob
04-03-2013, 03:01 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/95424-Portrait_Group_07-03-13.jpg

Wow, very beautiful! Good work:thumbsup:

Journeyman
04-03-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks Bob, I’ll let Caz know you think she’s beautiful :) That’s the trouble with using friends to model you can fall in love with them :lol:
Some great portraits on the thread now including yours Bob :thumbsup:

LadyMadonna
04-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I am sketching for you Ken ...about 20 minutes work. I understand the value of the sketch but I would much rather be painting.

wetbob
04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Bob, I’ll let Caz know you think she’s beautiful :)
Yes, she is very beautiful indeed:clap:
ead now including yours Bob :thumbsup:
Thnx,

WB

HazelP
04-04-2013, 01:55 AM
I've had another try at painting my grandfather Arthur. 10 x 12 Panpastel and soft pastels.

I have found Ken's classes extremely helpful and I'm looking forward to more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2013/915542-image.jpg

LadyMadonna
04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I am sketchingggggggggggg.......................

wetbob
04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I like sketching

wetbob
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
It looks like the original:thumbsup:

Ken Instructor
04-05-2013, 10:26 PM

This is nice. Time will give you a more direct look.

Ken Instructor
04-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I've had another try at painting my grandfather Arthur. 10 x 12 Panpastel and soft pastels.

I have found Ken's classes extremely helpful and I'm looking forward to more.

What I am about to say may sound complex, but if you know the bone structure underneath you can get the person to look more realistic. It is the underlying feature or structure that is the key to the likeness, not the outward features. I cannot feel the bone underneath his skin, I feel it more to be a mask on a rock. Pay attention to where the bone sticks out and what it means in value and edges.

Ken Instructor
04-05-2013, 10:33 PM
This was done at the local portrait group, it’s a three hour session with a good lighting set up.

I used a Zorn palette and would be pleased for any tips on improving my direct painting.

Good handling of the palette. The whole direct painting method will be a webinar of mine in the future ,but before that I have to give some draw alongs, because I need to make sure people will get the most out of it. So, I will need to prepare people for this. Watch the temperature of the halftone you have there. The direct painting method is about NO BLENDING and getting tone by tone or plane by plan without any blending. It is hard to do, I myself struggle with that discipline, but it is paramount to understanding what is behind good portrait painting technique.

Ken Instructor
04-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Another Sargent study... I know she is rather homely but then again Sargent's model was not too pleasing herself. Aside from that I tackled this one a different way. I did the background first and grew the head and face outwards from that. Though not a pretty subject I do find the portrait more three dimensional than all the others. I have read that Sargent would take days and weeks just to get the shape of the head right before any facial features. p. s. I have been practising with pencil when I do not have a brush in my hand.

Her right cheek is not spinning,, notice there should be a shadow there, also in the eye socket, but this has been your best so far that I have seen. You tell me, why do you think it does not look exactly or represents more accurately the reference?

Ken Instructor
04-05-2013, 10:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/978726-scan0001.jpg This is a drawing I did a few years ago.

Great shading and technique, nose wings not quite symmetrical, and her left eye seems to wonder off a bit to her left. It does not feel symmetrical relative to the nose. It is very subtle, but this is a good drawing.

Ken Instructor
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
thnx Ken for replying!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2013/100299-1.JPG
graphite in sketchbook, about 1 hour

The distance from her eyebrows to the bottom of the nose, should be the same as the eyebrows, to her hairline, roughly.

Ken Instructor
04-06-2013, 12:20 AM
"I have read that Sargent would take days and weeks just to get the shape of the head right before any facial features."

I would like to know more about this. Donna where did you read this? Can you post a link? Please, the more I know the more I can convey.
Ken

Journeyman
04-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Good handling of the palette. The whole direct painting method will be a webinar of mine in the future ,but before that I have to give some draw alongs, because I need to make sure people will get the most out of it. So, I will need to prepare people for this. Watch the temperature of the halftone you have there. The direct painting method is about NO BLENDING and getting tone by tone or plane by plan without any blending. It is hard to do, I myself struggle with that discipline, but it is paramount to understanding what is behind good portrait painting technique.
Thanks Ken, I appreciate the feed back, will keep a look out for that webinar and hope to join you. This on line learning seems to be a great way forward.

wetbob
04-06-2013, 03:50 AM
The direct painting method is about NO BLENDING and getting tone by tone or plane by plan without any blending
Interesting! I did many works (portraits) alla prima, and always asked myself, should i blend or not?
wb

Jacdesusbielle
04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Can anyone tell me how to resize photos to meet WC standards ? They are automatically resized and appear very clear but upside down or on the left or right side. I don't understand why. Some help from those who know would be great ! Thank you !

wetbob
04-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Can anyone tell me how to resize photos to meet WC standards ? You ve met them? ]They are automatically resized and appear very clear[/B]

on the left or right side. I don't understand why Because you ve written some text somewhere, first upload and then write a text always goes well

how to resize photos which program do you use? photoshop works easy, you open your file with it, and then you use save as. You can downgrade the quality of the pic and it automatically says how much mb your file is. Must be under 1 mb

LadyMadonna
04-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Half sketch , half pastel ...hope I am getting there !

Sgourlayart
04-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Half sketch , half pastel ...hope I am getting there !Your drawing is getting BETTERRRRR! One small tip; eyes are a little too far apart; there should be just one eye-width between them and you have approx. 1.2 eye-widths. Keep up the sketching! Stu

Jacdesusbielle
04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
You ve met them?

Because you ve written some text somewhere, first upload and then write a text always goes well

which program do you use? photoshop works easy, you open your file with it, and then you use save as. You can downgrade the quality of the pic and it automatically says how much mb your file is. Must be under 1 mb

Thank you for your answer. No I do not meet WC standards for my pic is upside down ... mystery to me, and I don't write anything.
I did not use any program so far but will try with photoshop. Hope it will work better. Thanks for the tip.

wetbob
04-09-2013, 03:05 AM
for my pic is upside down ... simple solution: upload it upside down

Do you upload it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9C-3HEVu48
Do you use ipad or smartphone? Apple computer? Maybe it s your browser?

susanc
04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Wetbob, you are so clever!

But maybe some of us may have sat here waaaaay too long, so a quick headstand to look at an upside-down image posted at wetcanvas might get the blood flowing to the brain again...Could be a good thing, Jacdesusbielle?

I have Photoshop (a very old version) and I also have a slow computer that Photoshop slows down even worse (hard to believe that's possible!) I resize photos in a free program called Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/). I think it's very easy (plus it doesn't slow down my computer like Photoshop does!)

1. Open the photo you want to resize in Irfanview. Rotate your photo if it's sideways. ("Image">Rotate Right or Rotate Left)
2. Click on "Image" in the menu bar above the photo.
3. Click on Resize/Resample in the drop down box (Photo below)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-edit_resize2.jpg

4. In the box that pops up, make sure that "Preserve aspect ratio" is checked. (Last sentence in the left column.) Staying in the left column, make sure "Set New Size" is selected. You'll see the dimensions of your photo in 2 boxes. Choose the largest dimension and enter 800 (or a smaller number) in it. Irfanview automatically enters a lesser number in the 2nd box. (Photos below)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-edit_resize_box.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-editresize800_2.jpg

Cllick OK, then save the resulting image.

I made it sound more complicated than it really is. I think these settings are usually the standard default, so usually you'll just pop in a number that's smaller than 800 into the box that displays the largest dimension, click on OK, then save it.

This photo was resized with the largest dimension set at 800:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-editresizefinal2.jpg

This photo was resized with the largest dimension set at 400:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-editresizeresult.jpg

I don't know if that was helpful, but at least it kept me from starting housework for a few more minutes ;) Sigh...no more excuses!

Best of luck to our chat friend, Herbe!

Jacdesusbielle
04-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks a lot Susan for your clear explanation. I just found it some minutes ago so did not yet tried it. But it seems relatively simple. I'll do some testing tomorrow and tell you how it succeeded. I am not that good with computer but when I try and all is ok, it is fixed in my head. You are very clever to know my chat name or did I speak too much ? I am the only French so ..... Bonne chance for your housework ! Ha !

beart
04-14-2013, 12:47 PM
This is a special portrait I'm working on, I might have gotten the skin color too dark. What kind of glaze would lighten it but not look chalky.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/88528-IMG_1439_edited-1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Wetbob, you are so clever!

But maybe some of us may have sat here waaaaay too long, so a quick headstand to look at an upside-down image posted at wetcanvas might get the blood flowing to the brain again...Could be a good thing, Jacdesusbielle?

I have Photoshop (a very old version) and I also have a slow computer that Photoshop slows down even worse (hard to believe that's possible!) I resize photos in a free program called Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/). I think it's very easy (plus it doesn't slow down my computer like Photoshop does!)

1. Open the photo you want to resize in Irfanview. Rotate your photo if it's sideways. ("Image">Rotate Right or Rotate Left)
2. Click on "Image" in the menu bar above the photo.
3. Click on Resize/Resample in the drop down box (Photo below)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-edit_resize2.jpg

4. In the box that pops up, make sure that "Preserve aspect ratio" is checked. (Last sentence in the left column.) Staying in the left column, make sure "Set New Size" is selected. You'll see the dimensions of your photo in 2 boxes. Choose the largest dimension and enter 800 (or a smaller number) in it. Irfanview automatically enters a lesser number in the 2nd box. (Photos below)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-edit_resize_box.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-editresize800_2.jpg

Cllick OK, then save the resulting image.

I made it sound more complicated than it really is. I think these settings are usually the standard default, so usually you'll just pop in a number that's smaller than 800 into the box that displays the largest dimension, click on OK, then save it.

This photo was resized with the largest dimension set at 800:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-editresizefinal2.jpg

This photo was resized with the largest dimension set at 400:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/1697-editresizeresult.jpg

I don't know if that was helpful, but at least it kept me from starting housework for a few more minutes ;) Sigh...no more excuses!

Best of luck to our chat friend, Herbe!

Susan I like that photo. Is there a way I can use it to do a pastel painting in one of my classes?

beart
04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
This is a special portrait I'm working on, I might have gotten the skin color too dark. What kind of glaze would lighten it but not look chalky.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/88528-IMG_1439_edited-1.jpg okay,I think liquin which I didn't use much before is why when dry the faces was darker. I decided to put a thin glaze of Flake white with a touch of Raw sienna in it to go over the face to lighten it. When it dries I might use another glaze over it.

ToskaFromAlabama
04-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Susan I like that photo. Is there a way I can use it to do a pastel painting in one of my classes?

Jo, that would be a great reference photo. I lived in the Mojave Desert in California. I could never get the color of the brush right. Would like to see your solution.

Ken Instructor
04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Ok guys, I have an idea. I would prefer you submit recent portrait studies, or head studies, focusing only on the head with little or no attention to the drapery, fabric, hands and other surrounding elementsetc. Otherwise you are gonna have me get all caught up with color harmony, composition etc., which are more abstract concepts that I have not taught, so for me to explain why this or that does not look good, or why to change this or that, I would have to type up a whole lesson (I do not give clichés or formulas,- I always relate it to a larger concept or lesson). All that will come later, but for now, focus on what I taught in the past webinar regarding the classification of tone or value applied to the head. KEEP BACKGROUNDS SIMPLE for now!!!!
Many of you are submitting portraits from long ago. Forget about them, what is done is done. Start submitting new studies where you start using or focusing purely on what I taught. Please submit head studies where I see you are struggling or are concerned with the value concepts I taught so that based on these results I can plan a draw or paint along according to the submissions, and so I can plan future webinars so that I keep up a whole portrait program throughout the year. But I cannot diagnose your level if you submit old paintings.
Your head studies should be no more than 2 hours long. IF you take longer, start over. This will force you to find a practical process that will take you to the details. I have not taught this method, I know, but I will. But I need to get you guys out of your comfort zone of pecking at a canvas for days and months on a head, when you should get a decent study in just a matter of hours. I will teach this throughout the year, but I need to see new submission focusing only on what I am describing. Start with black and white only, if you like so that you do not get all worked up on color complications. I will be submitting some of mine soon.
Please, if your proportions are obviously off, like if the eye is too much to the right or left, making the portrait look like a monster or creature, then you do not need me to point that out. If you saw a person on the street with even the slightest error in proportions, you would gawk with aversion, so it should not be any different with your painting. In other words, don’t submit things where there are obvious mistakes, unless you yourself acknowledge them but want feedback on some other area.
Best, and happy painting. Work with me guys!!! Let’s get this portrait program going.

Ken

Ken Instructor
04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Interesting! I did many works (portraits) alla prima, and always asked myself, should i blend or not?
wb

The not blending method is partly a study method to teach the artist to understand every plane or value transition, and to paint according to form. Some artists just stay at that level, and others blend. Sargent stuck with the in between. But for study purposes, the less blending, the better. Express plane by plane with one stroke each, this will force you to vary the size of brush, but pure economy is what you want. Once you get this AHAHAHAHAA I am laughing, you can paint ANYTHING because nothing is harder than painting the planes of the head, one at a time with perfect accuracy. I call it the sniper method.
Artists that prefer softer techniques like some of Zorn's softer pastelle like portraits, are just an artistic choice, because he already understood the choppy, painterly method. Honestly, once you get to this level ,few will bother actually creating a less impressionistic look.

Ken Instructor
04-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Half sketch , half pastel ...hope I am getting there !

Nice sketch, you need better values. Watch that the eyes don't stray too far from eachother.

Ken Instructor
04-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Your drawing is getting BETTERRRRR! One small tip; eyes are a little too far apart; there should be just one eye-width between them and you have approx. 1.2 eye-widths. Keep up the sketching! Stu

Look up the Ripleys's believe it or not people, who could pop their eyes out of their eye sockets. This is how I experimented with verifying how much width is between each eye. Look it up.

This is the data I got:

There is almost always one eyeball apart between each eyeball, sometimes there is just a slight, very slight increase to that unit. These are people we see with a lot of character, and with a relaxed gaze. People who may have a bit less than an eyeball unit in between the eyes, will look like they have a very direct gaze, since you see both eyes faster since they do not wander in your periphery as much. I suspect this is just due to the lengthening of the tear ducts and surrounding tissues, and not the position of the actual eyeballs in the skull. The idea is to think there is one exact eye distance in between. But where do you count from? Do you include the tear duct? or not? Where does the eyeball end or begin? What is the exact unit? These details matter because portrait is a game of inches. Look in the mirror, and where the inner tear duct is you see a pink fleshy shiny thing. This is an extension of the tissues that hold your eye and that is where the eyeball itself would end, while the 'eye' could mistakenly be taken as a unit that includes the outer tear duct. I saw those Ripleys shots, and I was amazed to see how there is usually an eye ball length in between.
I am NOT a doctor, so I submit this to debate and discussion. IF THERE IS A DOCTOR in the house please help me confirm the anatomy. In fact, I would like help from one to help me with the process of verifying exact anatomical matters when questions come up. Knowing me, I am as obsessive as the archetypal scientist who would even be capable of ripping up dead bodies in the morgue just to study the exact proportions of the bodies. This is how Da Vinci and/or Michelangelo did it. I am not sure if it was both or just one of the two, but you get the point... ahahaha
Best,
Ken

Ken Instructor
04-15-2013, 12:40 PM
This is a special portrait I'm working on, I might have gotten the skin color too dark. What kind of glaze would lighten it but not look chalky.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/88528-IMG_1439_edited-1.jpg

Glazing cannot produce chalkiness, by definition. you are using diluted pure pigment to get rid of the white. Try yellow ochre. The painting is overall pretty good, and the teeth look ok, provided that teeth never seem to want to appear to look right on canvas. I can go on complimenting the painting more than it would take me to look for mistakes. So I recommend you read the long paragraph I typed up just a few posts ago, so that you get even better.
Try it.
Nice job,
Ken

Ken Instructor
04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Just one thing for now, THINK OF MASS, not individual hairs, please, I pray t the art gods that this habit becomes dissolved in the art community. The trick is not to paint more hair strands than an actual sculptor would bother to render with a block of clay. Ask yourself this, how does a sculptor suggest hair? The answer should be applied to your painting.... Think about that.
Ken

beart
04-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks so much Ken, I took the painting and sanded the face and put liquin on it and repainting it as it looked too dark. When I put the white on it it was flake white and my husband said he could see it. I thought I did well on the eyes and mouth so I tried not to bother that part. This is about the man and girl with cat. I was painting it for a gift. Dot J

Jacdesusbielle
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/1067432-photo_5.JPG

Recent pencil drawing with planes on the face. Does that meet your expectations ?

Jacdesusbielle
04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Susan, I succeeded in resizing this photo thanks to your explanation and Irfanview. I struggled a lot.... and hope to be able to post in WC each time I will need it. Thanks a million times for being so explicit in teaching me with photos and the process from start to finish. Hugs !

wetbob
04-16-2013, 10:55 PM
The not blending method is partly a study method to teach the artist to understand every plane or value transition, and to paint according to form. Some artists just stay at that level, and others blend. Sargent stuck with the in between. But for study purposes, the less blending, the better. Express plane by plane with one stroke each, this will force you to vary the size of brush, but pure economy is what you want. Once you get this AHAHAHAHAA I am laughing, you can paint ANYTHING because nothing is harder than painting the planes of the head, one at a time with perfect accuracy.
Thnx for your explanation:thumbsup:

wetbob
04-18-2013, 03:02 AM
i saw this in the oils section, shared by wf martin

This is how I apply the Progressive Focus Method I suggested earlier:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/13079-2Q2BA_Goalie_Stage_01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/13079-2Q2BA_Goalie_Stage_02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/13079-2Q2BA_Goalie_Stage_03.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/13079-2Q2BA_Goalie_Stage_04.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/13079-2Q2BA_Goalie_Final.jpg
This is the final painting. I did not use any pencil drawing, or sketching for this portrait; I just went directly to canvas with paint on a brush. You will notice that I also enjoy using my handy, Stan-Rite copyholder [which is no longer available, sorry to say]. It screws onto the stretcher bar of the canvas.

Hope you like it that i repost it here

wetbob
04-18-2013, 03:03 AM
the post

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314327

Jacdesusbielle
04-18-2013, 06:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2013/1067432-IMG_3355.JPG

Another one done yesterday.
1 hour 1/2 - No blending (I had to refrain from doing that because I always blend pencil or sanguine drawings) - Don't know if the differents planes can be seen.

Monica1
04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
HI guys,

I took the " Secrets of the Masters" but
I'm wondering if there was another class with Ken that I missed?

it something I can get through the Northlightshop?

I tried searching there with the keywords Ken and portrait but couldn't' find it.

I used to be good at drawing heads in my 20's...
And now that I'm 40, I'd like to try learning again.

mickisew
04-18-2013, 06:57 PM
HI guys,

I tried searching there with the keywords Ken and portrait but couldn't' find it.

Ken gave a Webinar, "Elements of Form" in February; however, this is not yet available from North Light. Ken or Johannes will let us know when it is available for purchase.

Micki

Cinwojo
04-20-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2013/1177074-image.jpg
This photo was given to me to paint their portraits. I'm having tons of trouble with it. :confused: Will you please offer some helpful suggestions that I can try? Thanks so much for any advice!:)

Cinwojo
04-20-2013, 11:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2013/1177074-image.jpg
Here is my feeble attempt....help please!

Cinwojo
04-20-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2013/1177074-image.jpg Oops....this is the photo

beart
04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2013/88528-IMG_1445_edited-1.jpg This is a special portrait I'm working on, I might have gotten the skin color too dark. What kind of glaze would lighten it but not look chalky.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/88528-IMG_1439_edited-1.jpg I reworked the faces and found after photographing I didn't like it still so I took your suggestion and used yellow ochre pale wn and rembrant y o pale as rembrant is very yellow. I highlighted the hair with it. Thanks for the suggestion as I feel the painting has come alive.:clap:

Cinwojo
04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/1177074-image.jpg

Please help with suggestions! I'm having trouble with this!
Thanks, Cindy

Ken Instructor
04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/1067432-photo_5.JPG

Recent pencil drawing with planes on the face. Does that meet your expectations ?

Look for the halftones, I am not seeing the much in there. Its a good drawing though.

Ken Instructor
04-23-2013, 02:51 PM
i saw this in the oils section, shared by wf martin

Hope you like it that i repost it here

It is an interesting method, no doubt. The method I will try to emphasize will be for direct life painting where you need to be more direct. But the optical lesson in this type of painting shows how you need to work from the general to the particular. So its very revealing.
Thanks.

Ken Instructor
04-23-2013, 02:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2013/1067432-IMG_3355.JPG

Another one done yesterday.
1 hour 1/2 - No blending (I had to refrain from doing that because I always blend pencil or sanguine drawings) - Don't know if the differents planes can be seen.
I suggest you try men, since they clearer planes; women are the next step ,and I want to see one brushstroke per plane. It has to be confident and assertive even though it takes you more time to paint, what you need to train yourself to do it decisive, direct, painting. More thinking time, less painting time.

Ken Instructor
04-23-2013, 02:54 PM
HI guys,

The recent class is not yet available for purchase, due to some set backs it will take longer, I apologize for this.
You will always have an announcement from us when something new is available.
Ken

Ken Instructor
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/1177074-image.jpg

Please help with suggestions! I'm having trouble with this!
Thanks, Cindy

I am not sure what trouble you are expecting me to find or with what you are yourself struggling with. Once you know what you are struggling with you are pretty much near the solution. In painting, full knowledge of the problem entails the solution of the problem. If you want to copy the photo, you need no one other than the photo. The painting is set up for compositional statement, not so much an intimate portrait. For that I cannot really go into why this or that makes a good composition etc, it will be too much to explain and would have to give a whole course on it. Read the next parragraph, I would prefer people knowing how to paint heads accurately before attempting compositions. At least for this thread.
The painting has a beautiful color scheme. I do not really see problems or what you are struggling with. This is your painting, the problem you see may only be subjective, not objective...when is it ever? aahahaha
KEn

Ken Instructor
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Ok guys, I have an idea. I would prefer you submit recent portrait studies, or head studies, focusing only on the head with little or no attention to the drapery, fabric, hands and other surrounding elementsetc. Otherwise you are gonna have me get all caught up with color harmony, composition etc., which are more abstract concepts that I have not taught, so for me to explain why this or that does not look good, or why to change this or that, I would have to type up a whole lesson (I do not give clichés or formulas,- I always relate it to a larger concept or lesson). All that will come later, but for now, focus on what I taught in the past webinar regarding the classification of tone or value applied to the head. KEEP BACKGROUNDS SIMPLE for now!!!!
Many of you are submitting portraits from long ago. Forget about them, what is done is done. Start submitting new studies where you start using or focusing purely on what I taught. Please submit head studies where I see you are struggling or are concerned with the value concepts I taught so that based on these results I can plan a draw or paint along according to the submissions, and so I can plan future webinars so that I keep up a whole portrait program throughout the year. But I cannot diagnose your level if you submit old paintings.
Your head studies should be no more than 2 hours long. IF you take longer, start over. This will force you to find a practical process that will take you to the details. I have not taught this method, I know, but I will. But I need to get you guys out of your comfort zone of pecking at a canvas for days and months on a head, when you should get a decent study in just a matter of hours. I will teach this throughout the year, but I need to see new submission focusing only on what I am describing. Start with black and white only, if you like so that you do not get all worked up on color complications. I will be submitting some of mine soon.
Please, if your proportions are obviously off, like if the eye is too much to the right or left, making the portrait look like a monster or creature, then you do not need me to point that out. If you saw a person on the street with even the slightest error in proportions, you would gawk with aversion, so it should not be any different with your painting. In other words, don’t submit things where there are obvious mistakes, unless you yourself acknowledge them but want feedback on some other area.
Best, and happy painting. Work with me guys!!! Let’s get this portrait program going.

Ken

LadyMadonna
04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I have been doing a lot of simple head sketches in 30 minutes or less ....are you looking for that or a full on painting ?

LadyMadonna
04-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Recent quick sketche ..little detail. I am trying to get a handle on proportions and placement thereof more than anything.

LadyMadonna
04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Here is another ..

Sgourlayart
04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Donna, the more you sketch, the better your facial proportions get. Keep it up; the improvement is very noticeable. Stu

Jacdesusbielle
04-25-2013, 07:48 AM
You are really improving Donna. Your proportions are much better if not perfect and the expression on the face is looking good. Bravo ! Don't know if Ken will agree ..... That's my opinion for what it's worth ....

LadyMadonna
04-25-2013, 07:59 AM
There will always be much to learn and I value all opinions. Thank you. We learn something from each one of us .

LadyMadonna
04-25-2013, 08:01 AM
I did this one in about two hours time. You may or may not recognize the reference photo I used.
Sometimes I wonder if is prudent to continue on to 'perfect' something or leave it as in its natural learning state ?
I would like opinions on this if possible....

wetbob
04-26-2013, 07:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2013/100299-1.jpg
digital art, much went wrong, but it takes too long to correct all the errors,
wb

Linda Reyes1959
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2013/978726-007.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2013/978726-003.JPG Here are a couple of skecthes that I am working on.

Ken Instructor
04-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Here is another ..

better proportions, but Donna, YOU NEED BETTER VALUES!!!! The value effect is not reading yet, I do not blame you, this takes time. Some people have a knack for it, some people need more practice. I will talk about this in my next draw along.

I see progress.

Ken Instructor
04-30-2013, 07:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2013/978726-007.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2013/978726-003.JPG Here are a couple of skecthes that I am working on.

not bad at all, just ease the wrinkle on her far eye. In drawing, any slight error of hand can make the person look groggy, sleepy, drugged or under slept, it is because of subtle disturbance in the eye and surrounding values. This is the trickiest aspect of drawing portraits, to understand. Keep up the good work. POrtrait draw along of mine coming soon.

Ken Instructor
04-30-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2013/100299-1.jpg
digital art, much went wrong, but it takes too long to correct all the errors,
wb

Yesh indeed it looksh like Sean Connery, but the valuesh of the fash:lol:e are too complexsh. The mind needsh to shee a shimple or bold value patt-n, not a fragmented one. This is an aeshtethic concept now, not sho much a 'likenessh' concept. The likeneshhh you shertainly goth!

Ken

Ken Instructor
04-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Here is another ..

Just an example, why would the hair not be a whole single value mass? Why is it composed of such distinct unbroken values? The sequence of light under one object hardly changes to the point that it no longer feels like it is not one object anymore, unless she has blonde AND dark hair there, something like a modern style fashion thing. The shadow, HT, and light of a white object are consistent with itself, are so with a dark object, just overall darker. Except for the highlight, but this is only because of the object's surface 'coating'.

Think in large simple values, not fragmented ones.

This is tricky to understand. I remember reading my exact same words, years ago, and I was so confused about it! But it hit me.

Give it time. But I see huge progress.

Ken Instructor
04-30-2013, 07:17 PM
can anyone bring up a post I submitted about the four or five elements responsible for a surface's value? I think it was in a newsletter, I cannot remember, I remember submitting it here in wetcanvas. If anyone wants to volunteer and help me find it, awesome. I remember saying it was the intensity of the light, the distance of the light from the object, the angle of the plane to the light, the local color and the surface glossiness that produce a certain value for a certain object. I remember saying something else. I hope someone can find it.
Ken.

wetbob
05-01-2013, 03:27 AM
thnx Ken, it s sean. It s badly blended because i don t understand the digital program. I m a purist, i don t want to use photoshop. The program i use, allows touch screen so i can use a brush

wetbob
05-03-2013, 06:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2013/100299-1.JPG
a 4 hours copy with oils, Rubens
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Head_of_a_Negro_-_Sir_Peter_Paul_Rubens.png

Pinklady219
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Ken, as I recall it was Week 3 that you mentioned the glossy surface etc. You probably restated in Week 4, but not sure about that. Maybe check your PP presentation. :crossfingers:

jmcedeno
05-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Ken, this is my first portrait ever in oil or otherwise, my first intention was to do it in pencil and then continue with watercolor but it was a failure, then decided to apply two coats of clear gesso to preserve the image and then continued with oil. Please tell me where are the weak points I want to learn portraits in oil. I bought a book by John Howard Sanden (Painting the Head in Oil) but this style of realistic painting is not my "My cup of Tea", I'm also reading your critiques on the Portrait thread. The sitter is a good friend from Guatemala, I did sketches from life and took pictures that helped me with the likeness. I deeply appreciate you review.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2013/159973-IMG_0001.JPG

LadyMadonna
05-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Thank you Ken. May is going to be such a busy month for me but I will still try to sketch if not paint as much as I can. Looking forward to your course.

Ken Instructor
05-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Ken, this is my first portrait ever in oil or otherwise, my first intention was to do it in pencil and then continue with watercolor but it was a failure, then decided to apply two coats of clear gesso to preserve the image and then continued with oil. Please tell me where are the weak points I want to learn portraits in oil. I bought a book by John Howard Sanden (Painting the Head in Oil) but this style of realistic painting is not my "My cup of Tea", I'm also reading your critiques on the Portrait thread. The sitter is a good friend from Guatemala, I did sketches from life and took pictures that helped me with the likeness. I deeply appreciate you review.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2013/159973-IMG_0001.JPG

Then study Sanden's oils sketches, the 'unfinished' ones, which to me is a more appealing style, though not that commercially suitable for the vain.
The weak points have to do with light and form not so much likeness. The eyes are not three dimensional enough, the values overall are not clear in that you have muddled your halftones with your shadows. Watch the green in the face, I do not see the necessity for it. The nose should not be that straight, remember it transitions from bone to cartilage at some point, changing the direction of the planes or shape.

Ken Instructor
05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2013/100299-1.JPG
a 4 hours copy with oils, Rubens
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Head_of_a_Negro_-_Sir_Peter_Paul_Rubens.png

looks pretty close to me, but what is more important in studies is what did you learn?

jmcedeno
05-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Ken, thank you so much for taking the time to review my portrait attempt, I agree with your assessment and will follow your suggestions very closely. I've been sketching in pencil and charcoal sticks every feature of a generic face: eyes, nose, ears, mouth. proportions, and planes, and it is not as simple as I thought.

LadyMadonna
05-09-2013, 03:18 PM
I do not have time for painting right now so I got the sketch pad out again. This is my great grandmother. I did not do her justice so I am waiting for your critique on proportion and \ or values. Thanks Ken.

LadyMadonna
05-10-2013, 02:39 PM
In keeping with old photographs and Mother's Day ..this is my maternal grandmother. Again a sketch in pencil looking for lines and values that play correctly.
Thank you Ken.

Sgourlayart
05-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Donna, the more you sketch, the better you get. Keep it up! These last drawings are really good. Stu

Dana Design
05-11-2013, 08:54 AM
What a beautiful photo! How can you NOT sketch or paint this? S'wonderful.

LadyMadonna
05-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Again in sketching mode for Ken..I am on a roll so I am continuing my family legacy. This is my paternal grandmother on her wedding day...her ancestors invented the Cooey rifle. ( Just a note of interest) I feel the hat was the focal here.
I am really enjoying the sketching and realizing it is an art in itself.
Thank you for the photograph compliments.. I do plan to paint them in oils one day.

LadyMadonna
05-12-2013, 02:37 PM
The last one in honouring the women in my life who made me who I am today. My own Mother.. sketched in pencil. I was not able to capture her beauty but I see something of her essence there.
Happy Mother's Day !

Ken Instructor
05-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Ken, thank you so much for taking the time to review my portrait attempt, I agree with your assessment and will follow your suggestions very closely. I've been sketching in pencil and charcoal sticks every feature of a generic face: eyes, nose, ears, mouth. proportions, and planes, and it is not as simple as I thought.

The portrait artist should be able to sketch the generic features and head from his mind,, that would be the ideal!!!! Keep on with the discipline.
Ken

Ken Instructor
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I do not have time for painting right now so I got the sketch pad out again. This is my great grandmother. I did not do her justice so I am waiting for your critique on proportion and \ or values. Thanks Ken.

Better, but I don't think you still see the value masses very clearly. Look up Sargent's charcoal portraits, I will review them when I give the draw along.

Jacdesusbielle
05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi Ken,
Will there be a video to your draw along like there is for the paint along for I won't be able to attend all 4 Saturdays and I really want to follow your classes.
I am sure I won't be the only one to ask for that ....

Sgourlayart
05-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Hi Ken,
Will there be a video to your draw along like there is for the paint along for I won't be able to attend all 4 Saturdays and I really want to follow your classes.
I am sure I won't be the only one to ask for that ....Maybe I can add to that by asking when the "Elements of Form" video downloads will be available, since I missed half the classes. The course was finished over 8 weeks ago. Before signing up for another class, I want to know the status of the videos from this prior course. Thanks, Stu

wetbob
05-15-2013, 04:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2013/100299-sean.jpg

wetbob
05-15-2013, 04:33 AM
but what is more important in studies is what did you learn?
- i ve to trust my drawing skills (observations) more, i did this one without sketching

-improve my blacks

beart
05-15-2013, 02:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2013/100299-sean.jpg I think your sketch is real good. :clap:

Jacdesusbielle
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Ken,
I am sure I won't be the only one to ask for that ....

Sorry. I did not read well Jo's site. I know now that you will send videos of the classes. Thank you !

mickisew
05-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Ken:

May I suggest starting a new thread for the Draw Along.

Micki

mickisew
05-18-2013, 02:12 PM
FYI The Draw Along class is listed at North Light for $21.99. You can register there or wait for the link on IMP.

Ken Instructor
05-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Maybe I can add to that by asking when the "Elements of Form" video downloads will be available, since I missed half the classes. The course was finished over 8 weeks ago. Before signing up for another class, I want to know the status of the videos from this prior course. Thanks, Stu

Stu the videos are almost out, remember its a whole process. I recommend you attend the class, since after all, I am basing it one what I am seeing consistently here in the threads.

Ken Instructor
05-18-2013, 05:51 PM
- i ve to trust my drawing skills (observations) more, i did this one without sketching

-improve my blacks

Remember studies are not to get the drawing right, but to inquire about what you are seeing, this is why many master studies are rough, because it is more about an internal thought process for the artist, as opposed to pleasing the viewer. You are aiming for understanding, not accuracy or artsy fartsy stuff. You want to ad to your long term memory.
Best of luck, Ken

Linda Reyes1959
05-19-2013, 06:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2013/978726-011.JPG unfinished.

Ken Instructor
05-22-2013, 05:38 PM

The shading in the eyes seems to be off,- it reminds me of Uncle Fester from the Adam's family, because you are adding a shade that would not be there or is inconsistent with the surroundings, making him look like the local tone is that color....he's got a black eye.

Ken Instructor
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2013/978726-011.JPG unfinished.

looks good and solid, heavy, or fleshly. The line of the background meeting the face bothers me though. Think it through. Nothing should be accidental unless it looks good.

Ken Instructor
05-22-2013, 05:44 PM
On a side note, I never mean to offend anyone's art work or anything of the sort. If I say direct things is because it is a way for you to remember your mistakes, and chuckle at them at the same time, and thus reinforcing that you will not repeat them. For instance, when your values are wrong, the person might look like he is bruised, and so I might say, 'don't make him look like he just ran the gauntlet or had a sparring session with Mike Tyson.' If I associate something like this, you will remember it. So it is not to offend or laugh or things like that. I do it with a constructive intent, like the kung fu master hitting his disciple over the head for not paying attention.

beart
05-23-2013, 09:59 AM
looks good and solid, heavy, or fleshly. The line of the background meeting the face bothers me though. Think it through. Nothing should be accidental unless it looks good.I could be wrong but It seems to me that the right eye on left is higher than the left eye on right.

beart
05-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Look up the Ripleys's believe it or not people, who could pop their eyes out of their eye sockets. This is how I experimented with verifying how much width is between each eye. Look it up.

This is the data I got:

There is almost always one eyeball apart between each eyeball, sometimes there is just a slight, very slight increase to that unit. These are people we see with a lot of character, and with a relaxed gaze. People who may have a bit less than an eyeball unit in between the eyes, will look like they have a very direct gaze, since you see both eyes faster since they do not wander in your periphery as much. I suspect this is just due to the lengthening of the tear ducts and surrounding tissues, and not the position of the actual eyeballs in the skull. The idea is to think there is one exact eye distance in between. But where do you count from? Do you include the tear duct? or not? Where does the eyeball end or begin? What is the exact unit? These details matter because portrait is a game of inches. Look in the mirror, and where the inner tear duct is you see a pink fleshy shiny thing. This is an extension of the tissues that hold your eye and that is where the eyeball itself would end, while the 'eye' could mistakenly be taken as a unit that includes the outer tear duct. I saw those Ripleys shots, and I was amazed to see how there is usually an eye ball length in between.
I am NOT a doctor, so I submit this to debate and discussion. IF THERE IS A DOCTOR in the house please help me confirm the anatomy. In fact, I would like help from one to help me with the process of verifying exact anatomical matters when questions come up. Knowing me, I am as obsessive as the archetypal scientist who would even be capable of ripping up dead bodies in the morgue just to study the exact proportions of the bodies. This is how Da Vinci and/or Michelangelo did it. I am not sure if it was both or just one of the two, but you get the point... ahahaha
Best,
Ken
Ken,An artist who was a forensics prof. came to my art club. He told me study the body to make a more likeness of human. I found the Grey's anatomy coloring book and studied from it but I gave it away. It had highlights etc in it as it was used and I think it was only 1.00. I checked Barnes and Noble and used ones on there is 1.99.

Sallyabc
06-12-2013, 02:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2013/599812-harry-drawing_2102.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2013/599812-Harry-2103.gif
Just joined missed first classes. Please critique.

KennethVloothuisart
07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Ken,An artist who was a forensics prof. came to my art club. He told me study the body to make a more likeness of human. I found the Grey's anatomy coloring book and studied from it but I gave it away. It had highlights etc in it as it was used and I think it was only 1.00. I checked Barnes and Noble and used ones on there is 1.99.

Thanks for the advice!!!

KennethVloothuisart
07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2013/599812-harry-drawing_2102.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2013/599812-Harry-2103.gif
Just joined missed first classes. Please critique.

the drawing seems to have more character and expression than the photo, the drawing IS a success (just watch the nose), even though it is not exactly like the subject. You know you have a good attempt when prior to comparing that drawing with the photo, you still believe that person exists.:wink2: