PDA

View Full Version : Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos Problems

Art Leat
02-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Two days ago, I bought the bundled package of downloads for Jo Vloothuis's Paint Stunning Lanscapes from Photos. The bundle comes in three separate downloads.: Lessons 1-8, 9-17, and 18-24.

On and off since I have struggled unsuccessfully to complete a download, ending up with messages about corrupt or invalid files, zip files not being able to be extracted, etc. (I'm using Windows 7)

I attempted to contact Northlight's Customer Support, To get the email address you have to ask for it (???). I asked and haven't had a reply. They give a phone number which is continuously engaged.

Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, have they been able to get around it, and how?

For a company that makes a lot of puff about how important customer satisfaction is to them, they make it very hard work for the customer

Rosemarie
02-23-2013, 02:47 AM
It is a long time since I bought the course. When buying downloadables you go to the My downloadable products on the left on the Northlight page when you are logged in.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2013/2623-Bild_2013-02-23_kl._08.48.55.jpg

Sgourlayart
02-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Two days ago, I bought the bundled package of downloads for Jo Vloothuis's Paint Stunning Lanscapes from Photos. The bundle comes in three separate downloads.: Lessons 1-8, 9-17, and 18-24.

On and off since I have struggled unsuccessfully to complete a download, ending up with messages about corrupt or invalid files, zip files not being able to be extracted, etc. (I'm using Windows 7)

I attempted to contact Northlight's Customer Support, To get the email address you have to ask for it (???). I asked and haven't had a reply. They give a phone number which is continuously engaged.

Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, have they been able to get around it, and how?

For a company that makes a lot of puff about how important customer satisfaction is to them, they make it very hard work for the customer
Art, try using a different browser than IE, like Firefox or Chrome. Also try different downloaders, particularly Orbit. F+W talks customer service but doesn't practice it very well. The F+W fine art product manager is Christopher Buoscio; he can be reached through Wet Canvas and maybe can help you if a different downloader and/or browser are not successful. Good luck. Stu

Art Leat
02-23-2013, 07:24 AM
I'll follow your suggestions, Stu, and let you know how I get on.

From what you say, I'm not the only one finding a shortfall in F&W's Customer Service.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Art:)

Johannes Instructor
02-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Art email me the download links so I can try it on my end.

Art Leat
02-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Sorry Jo, I don't know exactly what is meant by "download links".

I have several times attempted downloads by first logging into My Account on Northlight's website, clicking on "My downloadable products", and then clicking on the title of the first batch of lessons. Usually the download started, continued for some time, then stopped with a message to the effect that the download could not be completed. I did manage one download, but, when I click Start, Search and type in "Lesson1", I get "Lesson1_8_PaintStunningLandscapesfromPhotos".

Clicking this produces the message :

"Windows could not open the folder

The Compressed (zipped) folder

C:\Users\Art\Downloads\Lesson1_8 ... is invalid"

The file size is 1.01GB, which seems to be a complete download of lessons 1-8, but I'm unable vto open them.

I'm using Windows 7

I've had even less luck on an iPad. Here, when I click on the title of the first batch of lessons, I get the message: Download failed. Safari cannot download this file.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,

Art Leat

Sgourlayart
02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Sorry Jo, I don't know exactly what is meant by "download links".

I have several times attempted downloads by first logging into My Account on Northlight's website, clicking on "My downloadable products", and then clicking on the title of the first batch of lessons. Usually the download started, continued for some time, then stopped with a message to the effect that the download could not be completed. I did manage one download, but, when I click Start, Search and type in "Lesson1", I get "Lesson1_8_PaintStunningLandscapesfromPhotos".

Clicking this produces the message :

"Windows could not open the folder

The Compressed (zipped) folder

C:\Users\Art\Downloads\Lesson1_8 ... is invalid"

The file size is 1.01GB, which seems to be a complete download of lessons 1-8, but I'm unable vto open them.

I'm using Windows 7

I've had even less luck on an iPad. Here, when I click on the title of the first batch of lessons, I get the message: Download failed. Safari cannot download this file.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,

Art LeatArt, when you click on the title to download it, put your cursor on the web address or URL on the top of your screen and click on Ctrl-C; this will copy the download link address. Paste it into an Email you are sending to Jo by clicking on Ctrl-V. He will try and help you. More than likely it is your browser that is the problem and Firefox usually is the best for downloads on PCs according to the F+W product manager (some of us have been through this before). Do not give up! Jo's course will make your art soar. Stu

Art Leat
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi Jo,

The link for the lessons I've been trying to download is:

https://www.northlightshop.com/downloadable/customer/products.

Hope this is what you need,

Art

Johannes Instructor
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi Jo,

The link for the lessons I've been trying to download is:

https://www.northlightshop.com/downloadable/customer/products.

Hope this is what you need,

Art
I am going to download them myself and see what's up. Did you try to download them a second time?

Art Leat
02-24-2013, 02:20 AM
I've made a number of attempts. They all end up with messages like "could not complete download", "invalid file", etc.

I can't think of anything else to try

mcbru
02-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Art,
I have had some problems too. Call them and wait it out. The operator can send you a different set of links to use via email, or at least that is what they did for me. This worked like a charm, I had no further problems. I personally think there is a bit of a firewall/security issue with the Northlight network.

Art Leat
02-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi John,

Your suggestion sounds like a good idea, but I've found that, whenever I try to ring them, I get the engaged tone. As they don't show their email address I'm out of options,

Art

Sgourlayart
02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi John,

Your suggestion sounds like a good idea, but I've found that, whenever I try to ring them, I get the engaged tone. As they don't show their email address I'm out of options,

ArtArt, try sending a message to Sarah Allspaw, the Wet Canvas Community Manager, on this site. Her handle is "sallspaw", she has been helpful in sending new links when download problems have occurred in the past. F+W had a terrible time last year when they put up a new website. Their customer service was completely overwhelmed. Perhaps the problem is with these discounted courses. At times their server is really slow at downloads, particularly during the evening hours in the U.S. Johannes or Sarah should be able to help you. Stu

lildip
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
ART, I e-mailed Julie Dillon @FWmedia.com and got very fast terrific results. I've often had problems with purchases made that couldnot be downloaded, or other problems, and she has resolved every one within 24 hours. lildip

lildip
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Also, yesterday when i called them, I had to wait through 4 phone calls (about 10 minutes) but finally got Megan. it was really a matter of patience with them. Lildip

Rosemarie
02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
At the bottom of the NorthLight.com page there is a link Contact us. I have used it and they do get back to you.

creativevintage
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Here is a copy of my post on the critique forum....I purchased on Friday, 2/22/13 and have been trying all weekend....

Has anyone had problems downloading the Johannes special that Northlight is running now? I have tried at least 8 times to download and unzip the files, both on Firefox and Explorer with the zip program they recommend and nothing...I get the same message everytime...files are corrupted. I have sent several emails to Northlight customer service, but no answer yet...am I doing something wrong?

I previously had tried to dowload a video from them last year and ended up having to get a refund because no matter what computer I tried to download it onto even with their instructions and new links they sent, I was unable to access the video...I am very disappointed, as I felt that this instruction would be invaluable for a beginner like myself and could maybe help me move forward.

Art Leat
02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Rosemarie,

When I saw your email I went straight to Northlight's website but could find no "Contact us link", just a Customer Service link, which, like many others, I have found to be an utter waste of time

Johannes Instructor
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Here is a copy of my post on the critique forum....I purchased on Friday, 2/22/13 and have been trying all weekend....

Has anyone had problems downloading the Johannes special that Northlight is running now? I have tried at least 8 times to download and unzip the files, both on Firefox and Explorer with the zip program they recommend and nothing...I get the same message everytime...files are corrupted. I have sent several emails to Northlight customer service, but no answer yet...am I doing something wrong?

Good thing is I tried to download the files too and got an error message as well. I have sent the northlight people an email. I know some of the people inside so I expect this will be resolved for all of you.

Art Leat
02-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Hope that you have better luck than we've had, Johannes.

Look forward to hearing from you again soon

Sgourlayart
02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Good thing is I tried to download the files too and got an error message as well. I have sent the northlight people an email. I know some of the people inside so I expect this will be resolved for all of you.
Johannes, it's sad that this is still going on almost a year later (after the new website debacle), but it's good that you are able to pull some strings to get it fixed. Stu

Johannes Instructor
02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Johannes, it's sad that this is still going on almost a year later (after the new website debacle), but it's good that you are able to pull some strings to get it fixed. Stu
I'm sorry guys that you are going thru the stress of getting these materials and need to be sending emails and post messages in wetcanvas about these materials. I just want you all to know that what they do at FWmedia is out of my hands. I do not have access to their files or systems. I will do whatever I can on my side to correct this.

Art Leat
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
A zip file created on a computer, in some cases, cannot be extracted on a machine with a different OS. Could this be the root of the downloading issue?

creativevintage
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Johannes, we are sovery grateful that you are trying on our behalf and understand our frustration! It is a shame that FWmedia has such wonderful information and instruction as their product, but is unable to deliver in a consistent manner...

Johannes Instructor
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
A zip file created on a computer, in some cases, cannot be extracted on a machine with a different OS. Could this be the root of the downloading issue?
I believe the downloads you are getting are incomplete. I just got an email from head office that they are working on it.

oCDs01-711
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
In the past, I've had a little trouble also which eventually I solved; I do want to purchase 2 more classes, but not until I read that the current problems have been solved!

Shirley

creativevintage
02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
I contacted customer service this morning via phone, and the lovely young lady immediately emailed me all the files in both mp4 and wmv formats. I do not have the embedded code required for windows media player, but I have been able to play the files using quicktime player. She was very nice and apologized for the problems.

pamshowcase
02-27-2013, 04:57 PM
The first files that I got we're the ZIP and would not open, but Megan resent the files as MP4 or WMV and the download and open just fine.
Pam

Sgourlayart
02-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Deja vu! This is exactly what happened last year. I guess the learning curve is still ascending for F+W's IT department. Stu

Art Leat
02-28-2013, 09:25 AM
After this long and still ongoing debacle, I shall think twice about buying any more downloads from FW

Art Leat
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Finally, success!!!

Today I spoke to Lolanda Taber at FW after ringing the Customer Service number on FW's web site.

She said she would email me files which would enable me to carry out the downloads.

Within minutes I received an email listing mp4 and wmv files for each of the 24 lessons - as did creativevintage

On my w7 laptop, I clicked the wmv file for Lesson1 which, worryingly, began a 2 hour download. I abandoned this and found the email on my iPad. When I clicked Lesson 1 there, magically, the video launched instantly. The same happened on my iMac. Clearly, I still have some work to do on the laptop, but, as I can now view the lessons on the iPad or iMac, it's a great result.

Here I have a confession (of ignorance) to make.

When I tried unsuccessfully many times earlier to ring FW in the US, only to get the engaged tone, I was not aware that two zeros have to be keyed in before the country code. OK, I admit it, I'm dumb.

I hope this note will help some of you who may still be struggling with the downloads, and thanks to all you guys who offered your suggestions.

Can't wait to see Johannes in action again

Kind regards to all WC members

Johannes Instructor
02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Finally, success!!!

Today I spoke to Lolanda Taber at FW after ringing the Customer Service number on FW's web site.

She said she would email me files which would enable me to carry out the downloads.

Within minutes I received an email listing mp4 and wmv files for each of the 24 lessons - as did creativevintage

On my w7 laptop, I clicked the wmv file for Lesson1 which, worryingly, began a 2 hour download. I abandoned this and found the email on my iPad. When I clicked Lesson 1 there, magically, the video launched instantly. The same happened on my iMac. Clearly, I still have some work to do on the laptop, but, as I can now view the lessons on the iPad or iMac, it's a great result.

Here I have a confession (of ignorance) to make.

When I tried unsuccessfully many times earlier to ring FW in the US, only to get the engaged tone, I was not aware that two zeros have to be keyed in before the country code. OK, I admit it, I'm dumb.

I hope this note will help some of you who may still be struggling with the downloads, and thanks to all you guys who offered your suggestions.

Can't wait to see Johannes in action again

Kind regards to all WC members
I'm so glad it is all resolved now.

Art Leat
03-01-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm happy too, Jo, that I'll be able to see your great classes again:clap:

Clarky
03-03-2013, 12:21 AM
For all those who purchased Johannes's Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos, please be sure to check out the second top thread where Robert Sloan has all the written notes to go with these videos. You can print them out for reference.
Warmly,
Robyne Clark

Art Leat
03-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Has anyone achieved successful and reliable downloads of Johannes' classes?

I bought "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos with Johannes Vloothuis" and the Essentials Series. At various times I've been able to download some of these onto my own or my wife's W7 laptop and on my iPad. Now I can get none.

Clicking a file in "My downloadable products" on the Northlight web site, or clicking downloaded files on my PC gets me nowhere. I get stuff like: the file could not be unzipped, the file is empty, an unresponsive black video play screen, or a download of several hours length launches. I've had mp4 and wmv versions of the download files which initially worked but now fail.

Numerous exchanges with FW Customer Service and WC members who've tried to help, too, have got me nowhere. Clunky technology at its worst! I'm thinking of asking for my money back.

A shame when it's such a delight to be able to watch Johannes in action.

chalet_dor
03-14-2013, 02:15 AM

I bought "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos with Johannes Vloothuis" and the Essentials Series. At various times I've been able to download some of these onto my own or my wife's W7 laptop and on my iPad. Now I can get none.

Clicking a file in "My downloadable products" on the Northlight web site, or clicking downloaded files on my PC gets me nowhere. I get stuff like: the file could not be unzipped, the file is empty, an unresponsive black video play screen, or a download of several hours length launches. I've had mp4 and wmv versions of the download files which initially worked but now fail.

Numerous exchanges with FW Customer Service and WC members who've tried to help, too, have got me nowhere. Clunky technology at its worst! I'm thinking of asking for my money back.

Moments ago I downloaded The Essentials Of painting Landscapes with no problems. I have every class that Jo has taught and downloaded them from North Light. If I ever loose any of them I can go right back and re-download any of them. Perhaps you need instruction on how to download them to your computer. You have to right click on the file and a menu will open choose save asand select a folder on your computer for the file to be saved.

I am so sorry you are having problems. So did I at one time but everything seems to be fixed now. Hope you try again.

Go to http://www.northlightshop.com/ Sign in with your password
You will enter a welcome page with your Name On It. Scroll down on the left side of the page look for a box and see My Downloadable files click it and a page opens with all files you have paid for will be listed. Remember to right click on the file and choose Save as Hope this helps............

Analagous
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I was able to download up to #16 , then after that (from 17-24) it said was unable to open it. I discovered that if I shut down my computer and booted up again , it would let me continue with 17, 18 and so on.

When I first tried a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't do it for me at all. I thought I was going to have to get a refund :(. But then it worked after we needed to make some changes to our computer, not because of this but for other reasons.

Sgourlayart
03-14-2013, 10:01 PM

Art, I had no trouble downloading and all files play perfectly. Try a different browser, Firefox, Chrome or Safari, before giving up . Stu

Rosemarie
03-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Another consideration is is your download speed. I had very slow download connection before I was able to upgrade it. It did effect the download and some I had to try several times to download.
And when you download do that in the morning while the americans still are sleeping because the speed is better for us Europeans in the mornings. I am right now downloading the Seascape class and it is working well. Still takes it time though.

Art Leat
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
When running Johannes' Essentials of Painting Mountains Lesson 4 (Oil Demo) play freezes for long periods and when it returns only plays for a second or two before freezing again. To play the whole thing would take hours!

Have other members met this problem and, if so, have they found a solution to the problem?

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
When running Johannes' Essentials of Painting Mountains Lesson 4 (Oil Demo) play freezes for long periods and when it returns only plays for a second or two before freezing again. To play the whole thing would take hours!

Have other members met this problem and, if so, have they found a solution to the problem?
Send me email please.

Yorky
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
I have that problem with artistsnetwork.tv videos. Frustrating.

Doug

Rosemarie
03-23-2013, 12:54 PM
You shouldn't post a link that everyone can access!

Johannes Instructor
03-23-2013, 09:16 PM

It plays perfectly on my side. Either download it again or just play the WMV version of that same class.

Babs2
03-31-2013, 04:53 PM
I have worked as a graphic artist and have to download (or try to anyway) lots of different files. I can't always figure out the solution because I don't know what they are doing on their end. It seems to me that if I can't download something it is because I don't have a program that will do it or sometimes it was created for a Mac and I have a PC. If you can find the file extension (JPG - EPS - PPS - DOC -CDR - AI etc.) you might be able to find out what program it needs to open it just by asking on the internet. A DOC file for instance would want Microsoft Word or something similar to open it. Doesn't always work but something to look for. Barb

Art Leat
04-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Is there a way to record the downloads of Johannes' classes to get instant replay rather than having to download anew for each viewing?

Tonalist
04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm a little confused by.. "download anew for each viewing?" Once you download one of Jo's classes it's on your machine (or werever you save it) and you can watch it as many times as you want without re-downloading it.
Is that what you mean?

woody

Pinklady219
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
There is no way to download the paint-along in real time that I know of (is that what you are asking). You must wait for the video to be published. I know when you would like to skip back and check out a minute of what Joe just did you can't. :(

Rosemarie
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Is there a way to record the downloads of Johannes' classes to get instant replay rather than having to download anew for each viewing?
You download it once. May I ask if you use a Mac and Safari and that when you download it will eventually start playing in Safari?

Johannes Instructor
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
There is no way to download the paint-along in real time that I know of (is that what you are asking). You must wait for the video to be published. I know when you would like to skip back and check out a minute of what Joe just did you can't. :(

You need to right click on the file name and click on 'save target as" , "save link as| and it will ask you where to store it on the hard drive.

Art Leat
04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Thank you for the tip, Johannes.

I've now been able to save all of my downloads, and look forward to downloading your forthcoming classes.

Kind regards