PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Pastel experiment

pxlwzrd
03-05-2013, 12:33 AM
I regained use of my studio space after a few years, and two weekends ago, I got it all organized again.:clap: I usually work in pastels, but I wanted something that could travel a bit better on our frequent camping trips, so I though I would try oil pastels. I ended up ordering a set of Erengis and a set of Myungo Artist Soft to experiment with.

While I was waiting for the OPs to arrive, I was goofing around with my assorted 'dusties' and one of the images from the February Oil Pastel Challenge. When my OPs arrived this weekend, as an experiment, I repeated the painting using the OPs to see what translated and what didn't.:eek:

I have a lot more soft pastels than oil pastels, so I had a broad range of lights to use, and I could really layer lights on top of darks to get what I wanted. With the OPs, I had a more limited palette, and I had a harder time layering the lights on top of the darker colors, so I was a bit frustrated with my inability to get some of the lighter tones I wanted. It could also be a function of the particular brands, though since they aren't the softest of the OPs. I used the Erengis as an underpainting, and layered the Myungos on top, as they were softer and blended better. I did get some lovely smooth blends though, and I'm looking forward to more experimentation with the OPs.

The Soft Pastel eggs are @8x10 on Charcoal Paper, using Great American and Sennelier.

The Oil Pastel version of the eggs is @ 8x10 on Mi Tientes, using Erengis and Myungos.

RJ

Lostjedi
03-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Like them both but the second one has a smoothness to it that creates a relaxed feeling. keep in mind O.P. is a different animal. It behaves differently than dusty pastels but it also has its own look.

theopolis
03-05-2013, 02:35 AM
I like them both! I hope you enjoy the oil pastels!

stee71
03-05-2013, 06:26 AM
They both make great use of the purple yellow complimentary combo in this ref. I like the stronger yellow in the shadow of the soft pastel version, it gives it more punch.

One piece of advice is to buy some liquitex clear gesso and apply it with a cheap foam roller - blitz anything that you think you will use for oil pastels. It gives a mild sanded texture that facilitates layering. You can apply it with a brush too but that leaves brush strokes on the surface that some folk like some don't.
Standard non-sanded pastel papers like mi tientes and ingres lose their tooth almost immediately with the softer oil pastels but the clear gesso gives them a bit more bite. Or the sanded papers like Uart and colorfix give great results too.

pxlwzrd
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
One piece of advice is to buy some liquitex clear gesso and apply it with a cheap foam roller - blitz anything that you think you will use for oil pastels. It gives a mild sanded texture that facilitates layering. You can apply it with a brush too but that leaves brush strokes on the surface that some folk like some don't.

Thank you, I shall try that!

RJ

SammyH
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
RJ, welcome to the OP forum. You did a great job with both the soft pastels and the oil pastels. And I think you did a really good job with OPs for the first time. You got some good advice about paper. I do apply the clear gesso with a brush and then go over it with a foam roller. The roller seems to give it texture and smooth our the strokes.
Also, light OPs do not go over darks. You need to work differently with OPs. Enjoy using this new medium. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Flycatcher10
03-06-2013, 09:42 AM
You did a great job on both egg paintings - handling both very well. You achieved nice colors, lights and shadows, the roundness is there.

CarlyHardy
03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the OP forum! Both paintings look great! I'm sure you enjoyed the different textures achieved with both mediums.

Tip...when the oil pastel hardens off a bit, you can add more color or texture :)

Pat Isaac
03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the OP forum and I like both of these. They each have their own special qualities. Carley is right about letting the OPs set up a bit....then you can add more layers.

Pat