PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash Monday 4th March***

Allan Jameson
03-03-2013, 09:24 PM
G'day g'day to all,
The time is 12.10 pm the sun has been out all morning and the temp is about 27oc I have the sheets out on the line drying in a great breeze.
I have been enjoying all the photosyou have been putting up lets see if I can get some up too.
First one with my parents when I was about 18mths old.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/2622-IMG_0004.jpg
next one when I was about 2yrs old sitting on a floral float in Cathederal Sq Christchurch NZhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/2622-IMG_0001.jpg
,its with my Nana & Pop after my Aunts Wedding I was Page Boy,this is Shannon NZ.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/2622-IMG_0007.jpg
This is in my late 20s here in Brisbane.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/2622-IMG_0006_edited.jpg

Scene Chaser
03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Nice photos, Allan. You were (are) a distinctive looking man. Bell bottom pants! I had them, too. Mine were striped and it was 1971 for me.
Hope your health is improving.
Bill

shipbroker
03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Morning all,

Bell bottom pants the height of fashion for some, could never afford them but just as well as unlike many of you my shape wouldn't let me wear them!

Dark and cloudy but no rain forecast.

geoff

JudyL
03-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Hi, been out with Jen and Lauren, looking for shoes, we did well, and on sale!
Then back to their house and SIL parents came in, we went to Togos and then a walk around the bird santurary, then back home to cook (not me) and talk and wine till time to return home.

Lulu
03-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Fantastic pics Allan! Your father reminds me of my first boyfriend lol

Geoff, you make my pencils fidget.......:D

Hi Bill.

Loving all the pics. Will try and find one of me when I had a perm lol
Was a work day again for me today but I did manage to read most of yesterday's Wash.

FYI Sylvia, I dislike quinoa too! lol

Hi Judy.

Dinner to get ready so must scoot :wave:

Yorky
03-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Good morning all dull but dry here 3C.

Hi Allan, I cleaned up the first two pictures for you in Paintshop Pro and sent you the files.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/1046-AllanJameson1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/1046-AllanJameson2.jpg

I did lots of cleaning up of old photos when we found a box form Ruth's parents in the loft a while back.

No plans for today, though it might be warm enough to cement the loose paving slabs on the front.

My favourite outfit was a brown Safari Suit, loved all the pockets :)

Doug

laudesan
03-04-2013, 03:19 AM
:wave:

Nice photos Alan. I too owned Bell Bottoms, I loved them. My housemate said he still has a pair in his bottom drawer.. Levi's.

JJ... it's not a starch, it's a seed.
Char, please don't think I am being argumentative, some sites say quinoa is a grain (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/starch.htm), and some say it is a seed, they all say it is a starch (http://josefbrandenburg.com/washingtondcpersonaltrainer-is-quinoa-a-good-protein-source/), which is why I can't eat it, it inflames my gut and bloats me. Starch and carbohydrate are the same thing.

Here is a list from the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00069)

Have a look at THIS LIST (http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/) for foods that are safe or not.. it is the one I use. I must say since I started on this eating plan 12 months ago, I am indeed feeling healthier.

:grouphug: big hugs for your soon to be empty nest. It takes some getting used to, but you will. :heart:

Supper time.............:wave:

doppler
03-04-2013, 03:52 AM
Good evening all.

Slightly more coherent, I hope. Did I pick a time to fly? Sydney airport was closed due to storms thus flights there were cancelled. I walked into the airport to that fiercely delayed wanna kill someone atmosphere.Short story my flight was delayed 1 hour while they shipped the delayed and rtudimentary mass murderers back to Sydney.

I was placid until I realised the delay was going to put me in peak hour Melbourne crawl to get to the Yarra Valley. Then I sweated. As time went by in the traffic jams rightly so.

My sister who was planning to leave from the Gold Coast got an SMS at 2am saying her flight was cancelled. Then she spent the next four hours in the dark admirably and reasonably arguing with a call centre that she wanted to sit with her children and no, they couldn't have separate flights, and yes she did want to arrive with her own children, and no she didnt want to go back to the Gold Coast because her car would be in Brisbane .... :lol: I laugh because she can.

She and the kids got there and wonderful were they, and my other sis( beautiful mother of the bride) who put me up, or put up with me. We are great friends.

Wedding of Judys daughter was great. Mum did gangna style dancing. Perfect place. Perfect couple, wonderful down to earth in laws in law. Haven't downloaded my phone photos yet and the skippy skirt has been deleted in photography and real life :rolleyes:

But to assuage your souls this is a picture from me age 23 at graduation ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/141006-Anne-graduation-day-Decembe.jpg
Something is burning, so dinner is ready :lol:

Yorky
03-04-2013, 04:11 AM
:lol: I can imagine your mood Annie. Glad you made it.

You were a stunner - another redhead!

Foug

Terranova
03-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Yeah yeah yeah: we have sun! And aprox 12 C, I cannot believe it. Opened the door and windows and am listening to some birds singing :clap:

I read, that we had the darkest winter since 1951. I feel, as if we really need that sun and am looking forward on taking a walk later on :)
Sending a ton of sun to everybody who needs it :),
Gaby

shipbroker
03-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Travelled back from London with a Health Food Expert who almost lives on quinoa.....so unless you are like JJ and subject to attacks by everything ( sori JJ) it is good for you...........the Indians of South America have done OK on it too...

geoff

Scene Chaser
03-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Good Day All,

Cold a 5 F, but like in Germany, as Gaby has mentioned, there is sun. A beautiful sunrise just appearing.

Annie, you've added to the bevy of beauties that have graced these pages these last couple of days. Such a lovely smile, too.

I use Quinoa and you do need to spice it up. I like to cook it in a little water and then brown it in a pan. Add enough butter for flavor and season. I also add it to meatloaf as a filler rather than bread crumbs or oatmeal.
Karl sent me a great recipe for quinoa pudding. Since it is so good for you, I think it's worth it to keep trying to find ways to eat it.
I will next try it as a fried rice dish. I'll use the oriental spices and oyster sauce for flavour.

Here is my mother and me. My father was off fighting the war at the time. Not WWI. :) I was about two.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/83119-Bill__Mom.jpg

Bill

shipbroker
03-04-2013, 08:06 AM
You have not changed a bit Bill!!

cheers

geoff

p.s. My travelling companion used quinoa as a direct substitute for both white rice and couscous usually with chillies added for flavour......she also replaced her breakfast cereal ( but not porridge) with quinoa, milk and honey.

How did subject come about......she ate twice on the journey (she eats 5 or 6 small meals a day) and both meals were high street (M&S) mixed salads with quinoa....which I why I commented.......

Me, I don't mind it...wouldn't like to lose white rice but I never eat couscous!

geoff

CharM
03-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Happy First Day of the Work Week!!! :) We have sunshine and a little cold (-7C).

There was a cat yowling outside our window in the wee hours of the morning... Ted got up to check on our boys and they were all safe and sound. The black feral is out on the porch and it might have been him. I can't find a home for him and I won't take him to the Humane Society because they'll euthanize him. :(

The Queen is sick and in hospital, eh?

Two Classes today who're still studying their shadows.

Allan, what great photos... I had bell bottoms... paisley, with a matching tunic and headband...

Doug, you did a beautiful job of cleaning up those photos! What a treasure, eh?

Hiya Geoff, Lulu and Judy!

What a sweet boy your were, Bill... I love your little tie.

That's an incredibly restrictive diet JJ... good thing it's working for you!

Annie, you have a smile that lights up a room!

Thanks so much for the sun Gaby! :)

Geoff, we don't care for the sandy texture of couscous either. Quinoa would make a good substitute for it...

I've had my coffee and must begin setting up my art stuff for Class. I hope that everyone has an especially happy and creative day!

laudesan
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Quinoa is good for you, and if you can eat it go for it! So is black rice.

Loving the photos.. :thumbsup:

Char, it looks bad, but once I got used to knowing what I could eat and what I couldn't, it is a good and fun way to eat. No preservatives. No starch, no grain, no added sugar. I don't like sugar anyway. I make pancakes with almond flour, and add honey and lemon juice. Oh yummmmm! They are soooooooo good. I eat fresh fruits and vegetables, free range eggs, this is not unlike what you eat. I do eat a little red meat from time to time now, as my iron gets too low if I don't. I eat a lot of chicken, and of course fish. Do you eat chicken? Oh and I also eat soft cheeses, and nuts.

It is pumpkin hour.

nite nite :) :wave:

wcartistsr
03-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Hello, sunny out but cold. It was 9F when I got up this morning.
Have been loving the old photos so I went and dug out one of mine. Here I am about 2/12 yr. old

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/34846-1945_2_wc.jpg

Worked some more on the hibiscus painting, finished the table runner, and worked on a 1000 piece puzzle we have going.

I got one piece into the Guild show and was disappointed that I did not get any more in. However, we went and looked at the show yesterday and I can see that my style did not fit the juror's taste. Many large acrylics and oils, with massive bold color. Very few watercolors. Don also go only one piece in. There were abstracts and lots of a variety of subjects, but mostly the one style. Technical skill and composition seemed absent in some. So, having seen the show, I feel OK about it.

Off to start my day as cleaning lady will soon arrive.

Shirley

olliewood0702
03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
HAppy Monday all!

It's brilliantly sunny this morning but COLD. BRR...but it's beautiful looking.:D

I made treats(veggie squares) for my diabetic co-worker for her Birthday today. We seem to be having a log of birthdays lately and more coming up. It's nice to have a NON-SUGARY treat for a chance.

I had a good weekend watching Klaira. She was so good for me. Napped nicely, played and entertained.

Larry didn't have a weekend; he worked both days. But he watched the Redwings game when he got home and the MSU-MI basketball game; so he was happy.

I've so much enjoyed seeing all you lovely people in earlier years. You are right.....we were and ARE a fine bunch of beautiful people.:clap:

(((CHAR))) I so remember what it felt like when the kids flew the nest....and it felt like a piece of my heart was being torn right out.:crying: I'm thinking of you and praying that it won't hurt too long.:heart:

JJ, I've had that link to that diet saved since you first told us you were on it. IT's a great diet for people with irritible bowel syndrome...which I have. I have yet to get the willpower to go on it though. I'm glad it's working so well for you.

Geoff, that pic of the kitty in the CAT box is too funny. I enjoy all your cat pics.

Uschi, your poppy paintings are beautiful.

Annie, I'm so glad you enjoyed your wedding and time spent with your family.

Sylvia, I've yet to try quinoa; I'm almost sure I wouldn't like it as I don't even like oatmeal. I've tried it so many times; it's something with the textures of things that gag me.:confused: I do like all kinds of rice though.

Out time changes this coming up weekend; whoohoo more daylight. I'm ready for that.

CARYL!! THAT IS GREAT news; I'm anxious to see pics of your new home. What a great thing to happen and a studio too?

I hope you all have a most wonderfully productive day!

BBL:wave: :heart:

NancyR
03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Good Morning,

Quick run through to say good morning. My blueberry bush has survived the winter and is getting ready to bloom, and my rose bush is already sending out green leaves. Today we will get up to 80 degrees, and then tomorrow back in the 50s. That's Texas weather.

JJ--I am glad that your special diet is working for you. I have learned the hard way to stick to my diet. The biggest thing was getting off of caffeine--that has been accomplished.

Annie--Glad that you had a great time at the wedding. Here air travel is always a problem. Our next trip is going to be to Louisianna, and we can drive.

Bill--You were precious! I have a photo of my mother and older brother that my father carried throughout WWII. He was exactly one month old when Pearl Harbor took place. I am an official Baby Boomer.

These photos are amazing. We all have similar photos of our families and ourselves. Such fun.

Yorky
03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Can't let all you ladies get away with showing your curls, so I'll show mine. Taken with my sister Jean at the age of three :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/1046-DougandJean.jpg

Doug

Uschi
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!

-7C but we have sunshine:clap: and temperature is to go a bit above freezing during the day.

I brought in some frozen branches of my forsythia bush and they are now blooming brightly in my vase. My knee has not improved and still hurts. I have just booked a therapy session for this evening. I am out of oatmeal and bread so urgent shopping needed.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH Char BIG HUG!!!! :eek: :eek: that is what you get for urging Matt to get a career, but at least he will still be in town. On the other hand, good for Matt for wanting to be independent.

Annie, your cheerful personality shines through!!!

Alan and Bill, great photos!!

Doug, great job on cleaning up these photos!!

Gaby, thanks for sending the sunshine.

I just had a lengthy catch up phone call from my Sri Lanka friend who has just returned to Toronto so will have missed a lot of posts on here. Also I think it is time to get showered etc.

:wave: to ALL!!

Uschi

Scene Chaser
03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Uschi, good idea! I will take some cuttings from my forsythia today.

Shirley, how cute. Such a great smile.

Doug, what a nice photo. Jean was a cutie.

Char, Matt will need a couple of your paintings to hang in his new home.

I must walk out to the mailbox and get a couple days mail. Haven't been there since Friday.
Bill

Flattwo
03-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi to All

Doug, is that a toy Lancaster bomber you are holding?

I had to change my password to log into WC today :confused:

More super photos posted today

Annie, lovely photo of a beautiful young lady :thumbsup:

Bill, how far away is your mailbox? :eek:

Speak later

Henry

Yorky
03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
May have been a Wellington Henry. Lancasters had 4 props.

How did you change your password if you couldn't log in?

Doug, what a nice photo. Jean was a cutie.
Still is Bill. She is 5 years older than me.

Doug

Flattwo
03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
WC would not let me log in, and said I should reset password, I gave them my user name and email, they sent another password by email and it worked

Henry

Scene Chaser
03-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Henry, 250 feet from the door, but it's been cold and slippery.
Bill

Wind Song
03-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi Everyone:wave:

Wonderful pics again today! I love them!

I am organizing paint supplies today and picked up a couple of bins that slide under the bed on wheels for watercolour paintings that I have not framed!

Back to work to make sense of the clutter!:lol:

Have a great one!

Uschi
03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Grocery shopping done and put away.

Thought you might want to know about this. Heard on the radio what my 85 year old table tennis buddy has known all along. Research has now shown - take Zinc to prevent colds and if you have it take Zinc to dramatically shorten and lighten it.

Remember when I was wondering if I should just let the cold do it's thing or if I should keep fighting it with the saltwater solution. Post nasal drip was driving me crazy, suddenly I remembered about the Zinc, took one tiny pill with my vitamins in the morning and post nasal drip has GONE.

By the way, research has also shown that Echanasia doesn't do a thing to prevent or ease colds.

I am sad because I am not playing table tennis, knee is too bad.

Bill, took close to 2 weeks to start blooming, but they are lasting and very pretty:thumbsup: Exactly 2 more month for mother nature to do the job:D

Nancy, it would be nice to have something blooming outside but 80F at the beginning of March, sorry I'll have to decline:lol:

Lovely photo Doug!!

Darla, how nice that Klaira was so good!!!!

JJ, feeling good sure helps to be disciplined - good for you:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shirley, it is the same here, watercolours aren't much in fashion now. My kids are no different - huge, abstract copies i.e. from Ikea. They wouldn't thank me for one of my florals right now, actually I would make them feel bad because they'd feel pressured to hang it somewhere:lol: Most established watercolourists in my city have switched over to acrylics. Cute photo of you!!

Lunch time, actually I am late because I was snacking on nuts I had bought.

:wave: Uschi

JudyL
03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Our wall bed has arrived and is intalled, now we need to go find a mattress to fit it. Huge, but think it will be useful and is beautiful.
It has a desk that fits a computer or a sewing machine that you do not have to remove to use the bed. Have a look.

http://wallbedsnmore2.reachlocal.com/?scid=2200535&kw=390403&pub_cr_id=31118718455

Ours does not have the side shelves and is cinnamon.

Oh I could use it for painting, but have my breakfast nook which has the advantage of water.

Uschi, good information and naturally I have a full bottle of Echanasia :rolleyes:

shipbroker
03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Evening all........

Henry. Did you see BBC2 on Winter in Cairngorms tonight? Lovely stuff.
I will be over the border myself for 2 weeks at Easter, firstly at Kelso and then Melrose for the Rugby 7's at Gala and Melrose.

Then in May it will be Ireland for 5 or 6 days....around Pentecost.

Uschi...agree about those Ikea type 'paintings', I knew a dealer who did car boot sales for six months a year as he could sell 'canvases and prints' and make real money. The gallery I exhibit in down near Hull is switching to half a year selling either prints or for exhibitors to take all the space for a fee.
The last 5 sales of mine have been acrylics......

geoff

Flattwo
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Geoff

Missed that programme, but will catch it the BBC iplayer.
Kelso and Melrose are nice little towns, they are all Rugby mad there!

Ireland sounds great, My Mother's family originate from Tipperary

Henry

Uschi
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Look at the art behind the wallbeds, and you know something, I like the paintings:lol: I also like the ones my two DIL's chose and if it wasn't for my walls full of my watercolours, that is what I'd be hanging up:lol:

Judy, I LOVE those wallbeds!!!!!!!

I am reading and resting my knee.

:wave: Uschi

painterbear
03-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Judy,
When my DH went to Officers' Training School in Amarillo, Texas, when he entered the USAF, we lived in a nice, new studio apartment on the outskirts of town. It had a wall bed like the ones in your link. During the day, the living room had a sofa and chairs for company and us to use, at night, we pulled the bed down and had a comfortable place to sleep. I thought it was great fun. They used to be called Murphy Beds though. ;)

Uschi, Hope your knee feels better soon.

Re quinoa...I did make it with butter, sauteed onion, chicken broth, and more butter and parmesan cheese at the end. It still tasted vile to me and I didn't like the smell while it was cooking (as Caryl mentioned) either. So I'll get my protein the old fashioned way by eating fish, meat, beans, etc. Tomorrow I'll be making a big pot of lentil soup...so that's another healthy alternative. ;)

Finished my orchid flower painting, will take a photo tomorrow.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those on their way later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

SYTomorrow,

Sylvia

Allan Jameson
03-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks Doug.....they look great.

Lulu....Dad was from Foxton Mum was from Shannon and you would have had to been around in the mid to late 1930s LOL they were married in 1941 while dad was on leave from the Army and I was born in 1943....that particular pic was taken in Fielding after Dad had been demobbed from the Army.

Lulu
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks Doug.....they look great.

Lulu....Dad was from Foxton Mum was from Shannon and you would have had to been around in the mid to late 1930s LOL they were married in 1941 while dad was on leave from the Army and I was born in 1943....that particular pic was taken in Fielding after Dad had been demobbed from the Army.

Yes, I realised that Allan, I should have said 'resembled'. :D
Your dad went on to receive a Knighthood didn't he? You must be very proud of him.

Allan Jameson
03-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Lulu....yes he did,mainly for the work he did for nursing.