PDA

View Full Version : Strathmore Workshop Journal

RainySea
03-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Strathmore workshop with Robert Joyner.
I used an image from the RIL library here on WC as the inspiration for Exercise One.

It is in a multimedia sketchbook.
All materials I don't use much (neocolor and acrylics) and trying to be loose per the lesson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2013/132279-peacock-us.jpg

DrDebby
03-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Pretty bird. How do you like the Strathmore line up of lessons this year?

JamieWG
03-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Rainy, I'm glad to see your workshop piece. I tuned in for his first video also, and really enjoyed it. I did a couple of sketches after watching it. Will try to photograph them over the next few days. I think you've done well with it!

RainySea
03-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Thank you, Jamie. I hope that you will share what you come up with. You are welcome to put them here is you don't want to start another thread.

This is only 6x8 or so size visual journal and I found its hard to be loose at that size. I'm going to try doing it over on my large Aquarius pad (11x14) today using the same reference photo. Materials list calls for multi-media paper, but I noticed on Robert's site that he frequently uses watercolor paper for his work. So the Aquarius should be fine. It was fun exercise. Plus good to use the neocolor for something as my small set has been lanquishing in a drawer since I got them.

Debby, I give them all a try each year. . . you never know what you might find fun, I figure. And they are free, so nothing to lose.

RainySea
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Here is another version of a peacock using same media (neocolor to draw lose and then acrylics). I really have crappy selection of few acrylic brushes. . . and didn't want to use my good watercolor ones. I just put in the barest hint of a background and you can tell it wasn't all the way dry when I took photo.

I didn't try imitating the instructor's style at all this time, but did use the media he recommended still.

I used Aquarius 11 x 14 sketchbook for this and I don't like that paper for acrylics. . . it sucks up the moisture too much. I will try a third one using a multimedia board which is smoother.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2013/132279-peacock-version2small.jpg

DrDebby
03-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Great job getting the iridescence of the feathers.

mhimeswc
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Beautiful bird, Rainy. I like your version better though. What an intense blue! I'm not doing this class, but I'm planning to take the next one,

JTMB
03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Nice job(s) on the peacock!

poochemio
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Ditto what Debby said. Perhaps you could order some of the mixed media paper in sheets. It's pretty fun to paint on.

I watched the first vid but haven't done anything with it yet, too consumed with watercolor and gouache. Like Michelle the second workshop is what really caught my eye. I've fallen in love with sketching on the Strathmore toned paper with just one colored pencil and a white. Maybe I'll give this class a go later, I need some painted watercolor paper for a book project, that should make whatever I paint very abstract.

vhere
03-09-2013, 04:42 AM
That second peacock works really well!

Scattykat
03-23-2013, 05:25 PM
ooh I like the second peacock, really lovely colour. The neocolours are quite wacky, but I really like them, not sure how well they last, but great effects...

Joan T
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Great job on both versions of the peacock!!! I watched the videos for the workshop and wanted to comment on work that people posted, but this year they made it too difficult to post. It kept taking me to Facebook and I didn't want to post comments there. I don't know if I will do anything for this workshop. I don't really have the necessary materials.