PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along Spring 2013 discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Johannes Instructor
03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
WetCanvas Live!
Paint Along with Johannes Vloothuis
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2013/135220-Deep-Forest-Waterfall.jpg

You'll Love This Online Painting Class if:

• You’re on the hunt for new oil, watercolor, pastel or acrylic,painting techniques
• You want to participate in a painting class from the comfort of your own home

Now you can join Johannes Vloothuis in a relaxed, non-formal studio environment in this series
of 6 hour marathon Saturday classes from WetCanvas Live. In each online painting class he’ll
show you how to complete a painting in real time. Watch & learn as Johannes Vloothuis shares
his techniques & tips for paiting in acrylic, oil, pastel and watercolor in this painting workshop.
No matter what medium you choose you’ll be able to apply these painting techniques to your
own work! If you miss part of the painting class, or cannot attend a session recordings of each
class are available in just a few days after each class at no extra cost! This live video feed is
great for painters of all skill levels. It gives you a peek into Johannes’ classroom and allows
you to paint along if you wish or simply watch & study the techniques used.

TIME:
1:00 PM to 7:00 PM ET (That's 24 hours of top art instruction!) every Saturday from March 9 to 30 (check your local time).
Each Week in this Online Painting Class You’ll Learn:
Color combinations for a variety of compositions
Professional secrets from award winning artist, Johannes Vloothuis
How to create a painting in a variety of media from start to finish
Requirements: High speed internet (aprox 1.5 MB download speed).
An optional $3.99 USD may be required to remove commercial interruptions on UStream.

Hurry! It starts next Saturday. $19.99
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/registere.jpg (http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis) http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis (http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis)
Important note: After you make your payment you will have to register a second time at go to meeting or you will not
have access to the video. Check your Northlight receipt for the blue registration link.

chickadeedee
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I cannot wait for this class! I have really enjoyed the classes in the past and really learn something from each one. Johannes is the best instructor!

Tonalist
03-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Nice.. I really enjoy these.. got it!
woody

joanpolzin
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi! My first time posting :clap:

Johannes, can you tell us what medium and colors to prepare for the first paint along next Sat.?

mickisew
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Purchased and registered - anxious and ready! Micki

Johannes Instructor
03-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi! My first time posting :clap:

Johannes, can you tell us what medium and colors to prepare for the first paint along next Sat.?
I usually kick off with oils the first demo.

jeanetteg
03-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Hi, I tried to register for the new paintalong but when I got to check out I got a message that the security wasn't the right one and I shouldn't continue. Has anyone else had this problem?

Clarky
03-03-2013, 12:21 AM
For all those who purchased Johannes's Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos, please be sure to check out the second top thread where Robert Sloan has all the written notes to go with these videos. You can print them out for reference.
Warmly,
Robyne Clark

jeanetteg
03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
I finaly got registered but I had to use google instead of internet explorer. Looking forward to next Sat.

Clarky
03-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Also, to place with your "Stunning Landscape videos" are the free handouts Johannes has given us. They went with those lessons and are neatly presented and include almost all of his golden nuggets. Find them at the very top of the threads.
Warmly,
Robyne

HazelP
03-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Looking forward to another lot of paintalongs. Thanks Jo for teaching us so much.

Wetpaint0938
03-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I am So ready Looks Like a fun one

msparker
03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
glad you are starting a new course I have missed you.

just having fun
03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Ready too go!!!!!!!!:clap:

Wetpaint0938
03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Hi jo is this going to be in Pan Pastels? Glad to see you back Imsure you need a brake from all of us painters.

chalet_dor
03-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Signed up and Registered
dor:))

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi jo is this going to be in Pan Pastels? Glad to see you back Imsure you need a brake from all of us painters.
One class will be Pan Pastel

just having fun
03-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Very glad there's and Acrylic this time. I like both watercolor and acrylics:thumbsup:

Bjorngunnarschou
03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I love your painting classes. This is my 3rd year painting in oil.

MapperGis
03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I am signed up for your latest class. I like your oil paintings and at the same time get something from all. It would help me if you were to list the main Oil colors you would use while painting a water color. Thank You. Lois

HazelP
03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Here is the link to Jo's pallet - http://improvemypaintings.com/palette.html

When painting a watercolour he will use the watercolour pallet.

paskavau
03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Hello,
I just have registered for the upcoming paintalongs. On their website Northlight show other dates the paintalongs will happen: March 16 to April 6th! I think anything is wrong there.

Klaus

Tonalist
03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Jo.. I assume you're going to post photos and canvas drawings on the
access page as usual right?

woody

Johannes Instructor
03-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Hello,
I just have registered for the upcoming paintalongs. On their website Northlight show other dates the paintalongs will happen: March 16 to April 6th! I think anything is wrong there.

Klaus
It has been corrected at the Northlight page.

nougat
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
paintalongs are my FAVOURITE class!!

Banner
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Johannes I have registered but moving house so will be unable to watch live paintalong but I am looking forward to the down loads when I am settled in our new home.

spudsmom
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
paintalongs are my FAVOURITE class!!

mine too! They sure beat the class I am taking for my teaching job!
I think they will be my saving grace this month!

Yay for paintalongs!:clap: Boo for grad classes!:evil:

Sherri

painter 55
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I am glad to be back in class with you, Johannes. Hello to everyone.

painter 55
03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Hello again. Just need to know if anyone else got a message that they had to have the "VLC Media Player" to take part in this class? I was okay with what I had for the last classes I took with Johannes. Did anyone else get that message when they were registering? Thanks.

nougat
03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
i've been using the vlc player for donkey's years...but i think you just need it to play back the recordings...AND it is just a suggestion from jo, knowing that it works for sure.
imho if your own player worked last time, it will again. :)

painter 55
03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the input Nougat

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Hello again. Just need to know if anyone else got a message that they had to have the "VLC Media Player" to take part in this class? I was okay with what I had for the last classes I took with Johannes. Did anyone else get that message when they were registering? Thanks.
That's only to play the recordings.

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I wanted to share this with you. FWMedia has now added their endorsement in two additional magazines, "Southwest Art" and "Drawing Magazine" from their former competitor, American Artist. I am very thrilled about the Southwest Art magazine appearance. That's an important magazine.

lildip
03-07-2013, 03:41 PM
what does imho refer to ?

mickisew
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
what does imho refer to ?

In My Humble Opinion

Micki

jillmc3
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Jo, will you be posting a photo reference and/or drawing before Saturday's paint along?
Looking forward to it!

JayCee
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Does anyone here have some advice on the best way to store these big downloads? They take up a lot of space on my computer, then I back up my files on an external hard drive and now it's almost full.

Sgourlayart
03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Does anyone here have some advice on the best way to store these big downloads? They take up a lot of space on my computer, then I back up my files on an external hard drive and now it's almost full.2 ways to do this: a large (1 to 3 terrabyte) USB external drive or burn them onto DVDs. Stu

lildip
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Mickie, thankyou. I'd have never thought of that answer.

Stu, how do you burn onto a CD? I'm not a bit computer savvy, but I too would like to be able to vie the download in an easier format, that I could handle.

Sgourlayart
03-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Stu, how do you burn onto a CD? I'm not a bit computer savvy, but I too would like to be able to vie the download in an easier format, that I could handle.You need a DVD/CD writer drive on your computer, so an old computer will not work. These files are too large for a CD drive and need to be written onto a DVD. Your computer manual, the internet (google it), or a wizard on your computer will tell you how to write to your DVD drive and create a disk. If your computer is fairly new, you will have all this; if not, it will be easy to just go buy at least a 500 gigabyte USB (external) hard drive at the computer store and keep all your videos on that drive. If you have a Best Buy store near you, they have sales on the USB drives all the time and the Geek Squad guys/gals in the store can help you with this. Hope this is what you need; these .flv files from Johannes are quite large, but the video and sound are superb (not to mention his fabulous teaching!). Stu

domeland
03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
F&W media is down for go to meeting registration. Hopefully it will be back up for me to complete my registration for tomorrow's paint along. Just passing this info along.

mcbru
03-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Stu, how do you burn onto a CD? I'm not a bit computer savvy, but I too would like to be able to vie the download in an easier format, that I could handle.

The .flv files convert fantastically to .wmv for windows media and mp4 for ipad. You can download a program called 'Any Video Converter,' it's free, it point and click easy, and it works great. This may or may not help with storage problems, definitely with format, and is another alternative.:wave:

Johannes Instructor
03-08-2013, 03:59 PM

I would copy it over onto a USB drive. Rule of thumb. If something does not spin, it is bound to last longer.

Rosemarie
03-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Does anyone here have some advice on the best way to store these big downloads? They take up a lot of space on my computer, then I back up my files on an external hard drive and now it's almost full.

I download and save them on an external USB disc, 500 GB. I have also burned each session on a DVD. For the fun of it I have printed a sleeve for the DVD with the finished painting on it.

What I am saying if the downloads are precious save them in more then one location/media.

Sgourlayart
03-09-2013, 05:02 AM
I download and save them on an external USB disc, 500 GB. I have also burned each session on a DVD. For the fun of it I have printed a sleeve for the DVD with the finished painting on it.

What I am saying if the downloads are precious save them in more then one location/media.
I do the same and recommend this as well. I never thought of printing the picture on the DVD sleeve; great idea Rosemarie! Stu

painter 55
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I purchased an "E Book" which plugs into my laptop and I downloaded all the classes on that. I feel it was well worth the investment so that if anything happens to the computer I still have the material. I am not sorry I did this. I am sure looking forward to the lesson today.

Rosemarie
03-09-2013, 10:51 AM
So am I! I love the image that is going to be painted. Something different in a italian? setting. And the boat has changed since yesterday!

nancysue10
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I registered and paid, but never got the email containing the password. Also never found the ref picture. I've taken 3 of these courses, this one doesn't seem to be going the same way. Can anyone help?

desthers
03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Says waiting for organizer at the Go To meeting Site. Is this my problem?

just having fun
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
ITS 1:40 PM EST Where THE CLASS ???????????????????:eek:

desthers
03-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Is the class on GoToMeeting or UStream? My confirmation from WetCanvas takes me to GoToMeeting?

colortone3
03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Has the paint-along class today been terminated. I paid for this class would like to get back in. The webinar did end for me and I tried getting back into different ways. ........HELP

colortone3
03-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Also would like to add that I paid twice for the paint-along that is suppose to be in session now because I never got a confirmation in the mail to gotomeeting. I was mailed the pictures only.

I checked the update on my account and did in fact paid for this class twice. Johannes, please let me know how I can get my money back for the duplication. Judy

just having fun
03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
I emailed them 2 time and no answer, like to know what is going on:crying:

desthers
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
My email confirmation fron Wetcanvas takes me to GoToMeeting site.
So the email is not correct. When I registered NLS was having certificate problems.
ImproveMypaintings says webinar is on UStream. Guess I will have to call NLS on Monday and wait for the download.

Sgourlayart
03-09-2013, 04:24 PM
All of you, go in and re-register for the course; that may work. Also try Jo's website and look for help. You can Email him right now through the site and get some help. www.improvemypaintings.com (http://www.improvemypaintings.com) Stu

just having fun
03-09-2013, 04:30 PM
What are you talking about! there is no class also he does not answer Emails, Where are you watching the class at??????????????????. The site where it said watch live class has instructions for viewing the class. there is NO NO CLASS.

Sgourlayart
03-09-2013, 05:05 PM
What are you talking about! there is no class also he does not answer Emails, Where are you watching the class at??????????????????. The site where it said watch live class has instructions for viewing the class. there is NO NO CLASS.I am watching it right now through Jo's site. Check your Email, including your spam folder. If you properly registered for the class Jo sent you an Email with the password and instructions. If you cannot find the Email, try re-registering through the NorthLight Shop; there will be a record of your purchase if you paid for the class; when you re-register, you will have instructions for how to see the references for the class and there will be a button labeled "VIDEO" to go to the video and put in the password. The class is going on right now. If this does not work, try a different browser and if that does not work, contact Johannes through the website www.improvemypaintings.com (http://www.improvemypaintings.com) There are over 200 people watching the live class right now; it is going on. Stu

Pinklady219
03-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Here is my rendition of Joe's Paint Along today. I can't believe at 11:30 today I was still unsure to take the classes--happy that I did this painting is different than trees and fields. :clap:
Oh this is a 9x12 watercolor on wc paper.

JayCee
03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks Stu, Jo and Rosemarie for your replies to the data storage question. I ended up buying a couple of 32 GB USB flash drives, so that should keep me going for awhile!

Sgourlayart
03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks Stu, Jo and Rosemarie for your replies to the data storage question. I ended up buying a couple of 32 GB USB flash drives, so that should keep me going for awhile!
I didn't mention that, but that's a quicker and less expensive solution as well. Stu

Johannes Instructor
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
ITS 1:40 PM EST Where THE CLASS ???????????????????:eek:
i SENT EVERYONE ON THE GO TO MEETING LIST AN EMAIL SPECIFYING WE WOULD NOT USE GO TO MEEETING. WE USED THAT ONLY TO CAPTURE
EMAILS. I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION BUT THAT IS IN NORTHLIGHTS HANDS AND THAT'S THE WAY THEY RUN THEIR REGISTRATION. THE WAY TO SEE THE VIDEO FOR ALL PAINT ALONG CLASSES IT TO GO TO
http://IMPROVEMYPAINTINGS.COM
AND CLICK ON "WATCH LIVE CLASS"

Tonalist
03-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Great Class today Jo.. Just the minute on color mixing was worth it to me..
the painting was great. I had to leave for about an hour, but other than that
I was there for the whole thing.

woody

mickisew
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi Johannes: I so enjoyed today's class. You always give us the extra effort and repeat (reinforce) the nuggets and commandments. For once I did not paint along and am glad inasmuch as I need to revise the drawing or get an 18 x 24 canvas - as you used in the class.

Thank you for everything you do. These classes are just the best!

Micki

mcbru
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Johannes, That was an incredible class!! Thank you for everything. I hope my classmates that had problems will slow down!!, read their email, and register in a timely manner so that a test drive of their system is possible. I'm sure the 99% that use this method would appreciate the courtesy. No offense to anyone intended, just an experienced suggestion.

Tonalist
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Jo.. did you prepare you panel with modeling paste this time?
in the past you've mentioned that you had.
I couldn't see any heavy texture, so I'm thinking you didn't correct?

woody

Johannes Instructor
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Jo.. did you prepare you panel with modeling paste this time?
in the past you've mentioned that you had.
I couldn't see any heavy texture, so I'm thinking you didn't correct?

woody
I do not apply modeling paste or Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso if the painting is about water such as lakes or seascapes (waterfalls excepted). I prefer the smooth water feeling. Textured canvas work best for foliage and grass however.

Tonalist
03-09-2013, 11:08 PM
thanks Jo.. I'm going to buy a 4x8 sheet of birch. just trying to figure the best layout to cut it and then prepare it.
woody

Sgourlayart
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I do not apply modeling paste or Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso if the painting is about water such as lakes or seascapes (waterfalls excepted). I prefer the smooth water feeling. Textured canvas work best for foliage and grass however.
Johannes, this is a golden nugget. Stu

nougat
03-10-2013, 12:04 AM
thank you Jo for a great class!

nougat
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Johannes, That was an incredible class!! Thank you for everything. I hope my classmates that had problems will slow down!!, read their email, and register in a timely manner so that a test drive of their system is possible. I'm sure the 99% that use this method would appreciate the courtesy. No offense to anyone intended, just an experienced suggestion.

i agree.
some of us log in early - always willing to help out.

Rosemarie
03-10-2013, 12:46 AM
I have to add to nougats post - very early, sometimes 3 hours ahead of time. Not only for saying hello but check out our computer system and having time to update flash player or browser if needed.

chalet_dor
03-10-2013, 04:26 AM
I believe that after paying for the class at North Light, people do not realize that they must wait and then are directed back to a page where they must scroll down and fill out a registration form! If they do not register then they do not received the e-mails from Jo. It is a problem for those that are not computer savvy, and do not take the time to read and save these messages.............

Rosemarie
03-10-2013, 04:45 AM
I registered and paid, but never got the email containing the password. Also never found the ref picture. I've taken 3 of these courses, this one doesn't seem to be going the same way. Can anyone help?

Nancy after you've paid you are asked to register with GoToMeeting. It was in the receipt from NorthLight and it had a clickable link. You still can go there and do it.

Then you will be "ported" to a new page on improvemypaintings.com which will tell you the password and also show photos and inform you on important matters. Bookmark that page in your browser for easy access.

Johannes will send SEVERAL emails the days before the PaintAlong to make sure everyone that have registered with GTM gets important information.

If you missed reading the information you get from the registration on NorthLight you will not get any emails.

As I said you can find your order on NL and still register on GoToMeeting.

For any one who still wants to join us on the PaintAlongs it isn't too late!

Jacdesusbielle
03-10-2013, 04:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/1067432-image.jpg

Thank you Jo for this wonderful paint along. I enjoyed every minute of it and, as usual, learned a lot from your teaching. These classes are really the best, thanks to your skill, your patience, the way you repeat things - and this is necessary .....
This is pastel on Colourfix paper. I am not quite certain with the reflections and the size of the boat compare to the size of the houses, even with perspective and the size of the pontoon....

Jacdesusbielle
03-10-2013, 06:53 AM
At first, i mistook your boat on the left for a church.....so I turned it into a church...... Not peculiar in Italy ....

ToskaFromAlabama
03-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Jo, Just a reminder: Could you show us your watercolor that won best in the country. tks

ToskaFromAlabama
03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Jo, that was a beautiful scene and painting you did from it yesterday. I painted something different (still working on it) because I'm painting to compete. Can't use someone else's photo or design etc. I did want you to see/comment on the plein air painting 11x14 I did while in Italy. It was similar (not near as good as yours). (Amalfi coast) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/1146577-Amalfi_coast_plein_aire__11_x_14_Oct_2012.jpg

debwk
03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know about how many videos will go on a 32 gb usb drive? Deb

ToskaFromAlabama
03-10-2013, 10:52 AM

A 16 GB holds 40 min of video. So I guess you could double that. It also may depend on who made it. If you haven't bought it yet, the package will tell you.

just having fun
03-10-2013, 11:05 AM
i SENT EVERYONE ON THE GO TO MEETING LIST AN EMAIL SPECIFYING WE WOULD NOT USE GO TO MEEETING. WE USED THAT ONLY TO CAPTURE
EMAILS. I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION BUT THAT IS IN NORTHLIGHTS HANDS AND THAT'S THE WAY THEY RUN THEIR REGISTRATION. THE WAY TO SEE THE VIDEO FOR ALL PAINT ALONG CLASSES IT TO GO TO
http://IMPROVEMYPAINTINGS.COM
AND CLICK ON "WATCH LIVE CLASS"
That was my problem I was on your site and the watch live class showed only ways to download flash drives etc. I have taking all of the paintalong and have always used watch live video, yasterday no go I had to go to my Email and use the video link. So next week are we using your Email link or go to "watch live class.

Rosemarie
03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Depends on which format they are saved in. The PaintAlongs are about 5 - 6 Gb I think.

ToskaFromAlabama
03-10-2013, 11:12 AM
That was my problem I was on your site and the watch live class showed only ways to download flash drives etc. I have taking all of the paintalong and have always used watch live video, yasterday no go I had to go to my Email and use the video link. So next week are we using your Email link or go to "watch live class.

I think you needed to scroll down to find the GO TO VIDEO link. If you go to
http://improvemypaintings.com/VideoAccess.html now, scroll down and you will see the button. Hope this helps. I can see the confusion, usually the link is right at the top.

Rosemarie
03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
That was my problem I was on your site and the watch live class showed only ways to download flash drives etc. I have taking all of the paint along and have always used watch live video, yesterday no go I had to go to my Email and use the video link. So next week are we using your Email link or go to "watch live class.
You can bookmark the link in the browser for easy access. I have bookmarked both the Ustream and the Access page links so I don't have to fiddle with the emails.

Sgourlayart
03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know about how many videos will go on a 32 gb usb drive? DebAs Rosmarie indicated, it depends on the video format. Jo's paintalongs are in .flv fomat and the 6 hours of each session in aboujt 3 or 4 videos take up about 5 Gb of space, so you could get about 6 paintalong sessions on a 32 Gb USB thumb drive. Jo's 3 week courses (skies, waterfalls, rocks, etc) in .mp4 format take up about 3 to 3.5 Gb, so you could get about 9 of these courses on the same USB drive. DVDs are a better idea; just format them so that they can play on any computer. Stu

just having fun
03-10-2013, 11:50 AM
WOW I never scolled down the page what a monon I am sorry:eek:

jfwalton
03-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Dont't feel bad, "Just having fun". I did the same thing. I went back in to see if my order didn't go through..and saw I had to scroll down.. one day I couldn't get into class because I had my "caps" on. It took a while for me to figure it out.:thumbsup: Loved the class and am going to tweek the painting today. Three years with Johannes and I am still learning. Learned more from him than any teacher and I have studied with a lot!

jfwalton
03-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Dont't feel bad, "Just having fun". I did the same thing. I went back in to see if my order didn't go through..and saw I had to scroll down.. one day I couldn't get into class because I had my "caps" on. It took a while for me to figure it out.:thumbsup: Loved the class and am going to tweek the painting today. Three years with Johannes and I am still learning. Learned more from him than any teacher and I have studied with a lot!No mistakes, only lessons.

LadyMadonna
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Here is my effort from yesterday's class. I found it a difficult reference in so far as perspective is for me and the fact I am not good at boats, buildings or docks. I may touch it up here and there at a future date.
Oil on canvas.

lildip
03-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Painter55, what is an ?EBOOK" and where did you purchase it? I'm not computer savy, but maybe my grandchildren will help me once i find out how to obtain it, and how it works. thankyou for any information you send. Lildip

LynnM
03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks Johannes, enjoyed this one, lovely scene!

Interesting piece, Donna, I love the way you can abstract things so well.

Mine is barely begun, but I wanted to block in using watercolour so I can go back in with gouache, at least that's my story! So consider it the start of a WIP. 7.5x10 inches on Arches 40 lb mostly WN, limited palette. I went too dark on the buildings so that killed the light, will fix with gouache. I liked the misty look at the beginning of the demo, so may try to keep that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/97813-Italian-scene-from-Jos-pai.jpg

debwk
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Thank you Toska, Rosemarie and Stu for the good info on usb info. Deb

SweetMe
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
:wave: Joe
Great class as always. An honor to be one of your students. Did you know some of us were still with you till you went upstairs??? It was like app. 5:50pm here in Elmira Oregon. We think you might have needed to scroll down to see the current replies????
Are you going to post your completed painting here in WC???
Regret I do not have the experience under my belt to keep up with the paint- a-longs. Will try again to do the download when it comes out (have not had success in getting the downloads to playback from the flashdrive??)
Playing with PanPastel again today on Arches oil paint paper. Fun stuff, but a learning curve to be sure.
Looking forward to next weeks class

painterted
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM
One good thing about Joes marathon classes is that he makes me paint what I wouldn't normally do. I'm not real happy with my painting, I got a lot of mud, but I learned a lot.

(the 2 black smudges at the bottom are from the prop I used to hold the picture while I took its picture.)

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/909312-P1010002.jpg

ted

lorigina
03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Jo, I thoroughly enjoyed the paint along, and the picture was just sooo beautiful. Unfortunately I was not able to stay until the end...only until 5:30pm. I still can't find the reference photo. I have a total of 5 emails from improvemypaintings.com., one from wetcanvas and one from NorthLightShop. I've looked at all the attachments. I have attachments of your new paintings (VERY beautiful!) and of parts of the background of the announcement - but no reference photo. When I visit your website and scroll down, I still don't see the reference photo. Was there one? Thanks for your time.

Rosemarie
03-11-2013, 01:46 AM
lorigina - if you have registerd to GoToMeeting you should have received at least 2 emails, one called New message and one called Instruction PaintAlong 5 Both has a link the the access page with the password. If you scroll down you will see the manipulated photos.

Also read my post # 74 in this thread.

lorigina
03-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Thank you, Rosemarie. I appreciate your help. I registered about 1 hour before the start of class, and in my rush, did not scroll down and see the paintings. I've downloaded them to my system.

Jacdesusbielle
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
One good thing about Joes marathon classes is that he makes me paint what I wouldn't normally do. I'm not real happy with my painting, I got a lot of mud, but I learned a lot.

(the 2 black smudges at the bottom are from the prop I used to hold the picture while I took its picture.)

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2013/909312-P1010002.jpg

ted
Nice work Painterted. Like all these doors and windows. Watercolour is a difficult exercise and you did it well.

Johannes Instructor
03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Jo, I thoroughly enjoyed the paint along, and the picture was just sooo beautiful. Unfortunately I was not able to stay until the end...only until 5:30pm. I still can't find the reference photo. I have a total of 5 emails from improvemypaintings.com., one from wetcanvas and one from NorthLightShop. I've looked at all the attachments. I have attachments of your new paintings (VERY beautiful!) and of parts of the background of the announcement - but no reference photo. When I visit your website and scroll down, I still don't see the reference photo. Was there one? Thanks for your time.
Send me an email.

Artcat369
03-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi Jo - Great paint-a-long...this is definitely the way to learn! I've got a request for one of the paintings - could we do a seascape with waves, foam, rocks/cliffs, and beach reflections?
Looking forward to more painting!

Linda Reyes1959
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/978726-006.JPG I tried this in pan pastels, think maybe I will try again in oil.

jfwalton
03-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Johannes. I have been with you for about three years and you have made a big difference in my paintings. This one is still wet and has some glare, but it is raining here so difficult to photo. I used the boat from the photograph. I usually paint 8x10 because I do plein air so this was different for me. Thanks so much for your valuable lessons.:clap:

My philosophy!No mistakes, only lessons.

painter 55
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Great class and now we get to enjoy the paintings from it! Wonderful learning experience. I am still working on mine as I am a very slow painter. Getting to know how to use my right arm again after a terrible break I had almost a year ago. I am recently returning to paint again. I think it is good advice to let the new students know that they have to read thoroughly and to the bottom of the emails following all instructions. I used to get so excited just over being in the class that I would quickly skim emails and not pay attention to all the directions, leading to my not being enrolled correctly. But, that is easily corrected if we go back to reading each email thoroughly. Glad to be back in class.

jmcedeno
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Jo, that was an awesome class Saturday, thank you, I can't wait for next Saturday.

JTMB
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Here's my effort from the paintalong. About a third of the way through, I stopped painting and just watched and listened, so finished this in a couple hours after the demo was done. Enjoyed it greatly, and am looking forward to next week (and the two after that!). Not too happy with the boat and the far right trees, but overall felt good about the painting, especially considering the subject (especially the architecture) is not something I normally do. This is 16 x 20 inches on Canson canvas (linen texture) paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/165640-0321-G15-JohannesPaintalongWeek1Spring-Mar,13.jpg

Monica1
03-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Johannes,
Monica1 aka goodfriend here. I changed my handle on wetcanvas.
I tried to really paint along with a 16 x 20.
I think I made a mess, i can't find a way to control oils...
I wasn't able to stay till the end. I'm excited for the next paint along!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/975849-italianhills.jpg

colortone3
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I am looking to get the first video for the class I missed on the Spring Paint-along. I hope it will be posted soon. :crossfingers:

Rosemarie
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
So am I, colortone3. I usually muster only the first 3 hours due the the time difference between Joe and me :)

I just saw that Joe has uploaded the finished painting on the Access page! It is a lovely painting.:clap:

Jacdesusbielle
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
My question will look ridiculous, but I can't remember where is the access page.... Can anyone tell me please ....

Johannes Instructor
03-12-2013, 08:05 PM
My question will look ridiculous, but I can't remember where is the access page.... Can anyone tell me please ....
Email me

Rosemarie
03-13-2013, 01:43 AM
In one or two of the emails from Johannes around 8th and 9th of mars.

lildip
03-13-2013, 04:49 PM
I just sent an e-mail to Jo as to how to download the latest paintalong, and he told me to read my e-mail carefully. I did install the videolan link, but no where on his page, do I see anything that shows me how to download. It does say to scroll to the bottom of the "P" to see my operating system, but nothing is written under the pictures that I can see. Can anyone enlighten me as to how to get the download done? I must be the dumbest person here, but I still can't figure it out. thanks, anyone Lildip

JTMB
03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi lildip,

If you're using Internet Explorer as your browser, you might try using Google Chrome instead. For whatever reason, I had that issue when I was downloading past classes - when using IE, the page looked the same but had NO download button. Changed browser to Google Chrome and lo and behold, there was the download button. Strange...

If you don't have Google Chrome loaded on your computer, go to google.com and it should be a free download.

After the recent server(s) change at WetCanvas, I have had all sorts of anomalies with IE on WetCanvas, and so have switched to using Google Chrome entirely. (And yes, I do have the latest IE version loaded.)

Hope this helps.

lorigina
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Lildip, On the email Jo just sent us, there is a link:
www.improvemypaintings.....
Click on the link, and it will bring you to a screen that reads:
Access To Paint Along 5 With Johannnes Vloothuis.
There are two buttons on the screen. Click on the download button with the arrow (on right hand side). You will be taken to another screen which says Protected.... On that screen, enter the password and press submit.

The next screen will show the date March 9, 2013. Below that it will "say" Part1, and below that it will "say" Part2. Click on each part to download the paintalong. Hope this helps.

lildip
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
As luck would have it, I submitted that post, and then tried one more time to "read" carefully, and saw th download button that said I must use the password. No sooner had I started to do that, when an e-mail from Jo spoke about that 'download button" and I felt stupid for not seeing it to begin with. thank all of you for your help. It's just so frustrating when i spent so long looking and not "seeing". thankyou Jo for the last e-mail that really took me to the download the fastest.

Alta Imp
03-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Is there any paint a long reference for tomorrow? Have looked and can not seem to find one.
Thanks
Barb

mickisew
03-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Is there any paint a long reference for tomorrow? Have looked and can not seem to find one.
Thanks
Barb

It is on the same page as last week - scroll down. If you don't have the email or did not bookmark the page, email Johannes and he will help you.

Micki

Sgourlayart
03-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks
BarbYes, it is in the Email you received for the first paintalong of the series; just scroll down on the page and you will see a link to the references; just click on it. Johannes has posted the references for all 4 paintalongs. My latest Email for this is dated March 9th. When you get one of these Emails, you may want to set up a place to save them together like "JV classes" or something similar. You will probably get another one tomorrow AM. Since the sketch is all important to get on your paper for a realistic watercolor painting, Jo will give you plenty of time tomorrow to get your sketch done and paint along with him. Hope this is what you needed. Stu

Rosemarie
03-16-2013, 03:40 AM
It is also in the mail Johannes sent just 3 hours ago!

spudsmom
03-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Silly question, but I'm pretty new at this...Do I need to soak my arches 140 lb watercolor paper prior to use? Or can I just wet it with my brushes and spray bottle?

thanks,
Sherri

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Silly question, but I'm pretty new at this...Do I need to soak my arches 140 lb watercolor paper prior to use? Or can I just wet it with my brushes and spray bottle?

thanks,
Sherri
That is called "stretching the paper". The objective is that if you soak the paper, fasten it while it is still wet, and allow to dry, the amount of buckling will be reduced.Today's painting will not have that much wet paper so we won't have buckling problem. Therefore, you can just paint on it directly

spudsmom
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2013/895452-photo-5_copy.jpg

Here is today's watercolor...
Not bad for a beginner...

Love the paint along's Jo...thank you for continuing them!
Sherri

Jacdesusbielle
03-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Wonderful Sherri ! You are working faster than your shadow ! Very nice work and very good for a beginner ! WC is the most difficult medium. You made something lovely !

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Wow! Sure doesn't look like beginner work to me.

painter 55
03-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Beautiful job of painting; doesn't look like a beginner. I can assure you, mine does look like I need to learn to paint watercolor. Not easy.

chalet_dor
03-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Here is my 9 X 12 on board, unfinished Oil turned into water color with Photo Sketcher
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/1184319-FotoSketcher_-_dors_Paint_A_Long_Day_2_unfinished_watercolor.jpg

Thank you Joe for a wonderful Super fun day!:clap:

nougat
03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
nice work spud!!!

Pinklady219
03-17-2013, 01:38 AM
I am learning so much. Thank you Johannes! This is my shot at the watercolor. It is 9x12 on wc paper. I messed up the right side took it all out and put in a tree to cover up. :)

chalet_dor
03-17-2013, 02:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2013/895452-photo-5_copy.jpg

Here is today's watercolor...
Not bad for a beginner...

Love the paint along's Jo...thank you for continuing them!
Sherri

Doesn't look like a beginner to me either! Good work Sherri!:D

chalet_dor
03-17-2013, 02:45 AM
I am learning so much. Thank you Johannes! This is my shot at the watercolor. It is 9x12 on wc paper. I messed up the right side took it all out and put in a tree to cover up. :)

Hi Pink Lady
You have done a very good job on that walk way! I am impressed :D

Rosemarie
03-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Here is my 9 X 12 on board, unfinished Oil turned into water color with Photo Sketcher

Thank you Joe for a wonderful Super fun day!:clap:

Looks promising. Can you post the oil version?

Rosemarie
03-17-2013, 03:56 AM

Lovely light in your painting! The light in the yard draws to eye in!!:clap:

You could make the right tree to a large bush so you don't have to show trunk and branches

chalet_dor
03-17-2013, 05:13 AM
Looks promising. Can you post the oil version?
Here you go! When I get the video I will correct it...........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/1184319-dors_Paint_A_Long_Day_2_Copy.jpg

Rosemarie
03-17-2013, 06:05 AM
You have done a great job. I love the colours!!
I can't paint along. I have tried and I have always to stop half way through for some reason or other.

Jacdesusbielle
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't know why the shot of my painting appears upside down in WC. I know it has to be resized but why on the wrong side ???? If anyone can help me.... If not, I put it in Johannes alumni group on Facebook.
Another great paint along Jo. Thank you for your guidance in every step of this sunny and joyfull painting.

Johannes Instructor
03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Well since so many of you are posting here goes mine!

Rosemarie
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
What is a beautiful painting, Johannes! And it isn't as dark as it looked on the video.

Here is how far you had painted when I had to leave the Paint Along. See how much darker it looks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/2623-Bild_2013-03-16_kl._20.36.36.jpg

LynnM
03-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Just super, Jo, love the addition of the vine on the left, and I agree, it looks much lighter, but you got the light in the courtyard just right now. I'm going right now to finish mine!

Really nice pieces going up, this has been an inspiring session :thumbsup:

Johannes Instructor
03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorry here is the image again!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/135220-IMG_8528.jpg

Tonalist
03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Jo.. the students oil painting that you posted is quite good also.
Had to miss yesterdays class, but when I do this.. it will be in oils, so
thanks for posting this one also.

woody

nougat
03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
wow jo - lovely! and sooo much lighter than the video.
most excellent and enjoyable class - thank you.

jfwalton
03-17-2013, 01:01 PM
So many great watercolors. I did an 8x10 oil. A challenge when watching the watercolor demo! Thanks, Johannes for another great class. I think I photoed it crooked and there is some glare due to wetness.

Monica1
03-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Here is my attempt ...
I don't know...I need to learn how to control water, the patchiness, and colors...Lots of clashing green and red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/975849-paintalong_study.jpg

SweetMe
03-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Happy St Patty's Day All:clap:
Joe, had a fun time painting with you and the rest of the Big Kids, class was great, but we have come to expect that.
Today, my painting looks far better than it did yesterday??? Nothing to write home about, but does contain elements that i like. Will go back and read your instructions for uploading (haven't tried that tech thing yet) and see if I can do it this next week in between getting my tax stuff ready..

Pinklady219
03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Everyone has done a fantastic job on their painting. Congrats to all. Monica, that is beautiful.:clap:

susanc
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm with pinklady: fantastic paintings! This was a such a great class crammed full of info and I'm seeing incredible results. Plus, most are in watercolor--not an easy medium.

Rosemarie, I think my painting might be the ultimate winner for the dark side. :evil: It's in oil, and I didn't look at the source photo because my computer resources are stretched to their maximum capacity just running Utube. I'm still not finished but getting close. I thought it looked pretty good until Johannes started demo-ing on Bruce's painting in oil. Oh well! That's why these paintalongs are so good, they provide a tangible example to make me stretch and not feel too satisfied.

Linda Reyes1959
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/978726-003.JPG Pan pastel with some sticks at the end. Not really liking this to much, kept trying to fix things and it just kept getting messier. Think I will take it out side and erase the whole thing and start over.

jmcedeno
03-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Jo, beautiful work, you hit it out of the park as usual. CONGRATULATIONS !

Jacdesusbielle
03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Here is my attempt ...
I don't know...I need to learn how to control water, the patchiness, and colors...Lots of clashing green and red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2013/975849-paintalong_study.jpg
Luminous painting Monica, full of beautiful colours !

Jacdesusbielle
03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/978726-003.JPG Pan pastel with some sticks at the end. Not really liking this to much, kept trying to fix things and it just kept getting messier. Think I will take it out side and erase the whole thing and start over.
Are you sure Linda ? I think this a very good pastel painting and well done. I like it .

painterted
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
This one was fun to do, thanks Jo. I needed to do 2, the first one was terrible.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2013/909312-P1010003.jpg

Jacdesusbielle
03-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Wow Ted ! Beautiful painting ! Love the light in the entrance and the boulders you put on the left . The whole painting is gorgeous !

lildip
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Linda, don't erase any thing. That's a very nice job, but more than that, your own judgement keeps you trying to do better, and the paintings you do are excellent history to go by. I've got stuff I did 10 years ago, and it's really awful, but it tells me what I need to know now and is a big help. A year or less from now, you'll look at this and see how you've improved and you'll be glad you kept it for reference. It looks great now. Lildip

Rosemarie
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Linda, don't erase any thing. That's a very nice job, but more than that, your own judgement keeps you trying to do better, and the paintings you do are excellent history to go by. I've got stuff I did 10 years ago, and it's really awful, but it tells me what I need to know now and is a big help. A year or less from now, you'll look at this and see how you've improved and you'll be glad you kept it for reference. It looks great now. Lildip

That is such a good advise!!

colortone3
03-19-2013, 10:05 PM
My watercolor does need more work but I was also afraid of overworking it too. Any suggestions for improvement would be helpful.

Blue Ridge Painter
03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
I know that I am not an art critique by know means, but I know what gets my attention and all of these got got my attention in a big way. I do not water color but I love the look. These are great, the color just POPs and from the sound of things it struck everyone the same way. This reference photo Jo is one of your best. Everyone keep up the great work, I Love It !!!

Linda Reyes1959
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
OK I Will Keep It for Know. I was planing on eraseing and starting over to save on paper. I will just redo it on a new piece and that way I can compare the too.

Johannes Instructor
03-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I know that I am not an art critique by know means, but I know what gets my attention and all of these got got my attention in a big way. I do not water color but I love the look. These are great, the color just POPs and from the sound of things it struck everyone the same way. This reference photo Jo is one of your best. Everyone keep up the great work, I Love It !!!
Like I said on the video. These kinds of subjects are very popular and easily sold. I sold tons of missions and scenes with walls and flowers. I think we should do more of these. It seems many of you enjoyed this theme. Good thin is that the pastel scene is also with flowers, a building and a running fountain.

Tonalist
03-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Like I said on the video. These kinds of subjects are very popular and easily sold. I sold tons of missions and scenes with walls and flowers. I think we should do more of these. It seems many of you enjoyed this theme. Good thin is that the pastel scene is also with flowers, a building and a running fountain.

This painting style reminds me of Cyrus Afsary missions you told us about..
excellent subjects. I agree.. I think we should do more also.
woody

mickisew
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Like I said on the video. These kinds of subjects are very popular and easily sold. I sold tons of missions and scenes with walls and flowers. I think we should do more of these. It seems many of you enjoyed this theme. Good thing is that the pastel scene is also with flowers, a building and a running fountain.

This subject matter has my vote as well.

Micki

painter 55
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
If anyone is interested, I just noticed that North Light Shop has a sale on pan pastels, stick pastels, and oils. The pan pastel sets start at 10 colors and extends on up to a large set with Johannes's name on it. There are Gamblin oils on sale also. What I like is that there is free shipping if you spend $25. For the most part I've been ignoring these email sale offers but today I took a look.

emjp
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have a problem downloading part 2 in the watercolor class 3-16-13 ? I downloaded it a few times it only goes for a few min. and then stops where he does a 15min break. Goes back to beginning again or stops. Can't get the rest of the program. Part 1 & 3 are ok.

mickisew
03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Does anyone have a problem downloading part 2 in the watercolor class 3-16-13 ? I downloaded it a few times it only goes for a few min. and then stops where he does a 15min break. Goes back to beginning again or stops. Can't get the rest of the program. Part 1 & 3 are ok.

I do not understand. The fifteen minute break is at about 8 minutes into part 2. I played the video until the fifteen minute point - no issues. The issue is with part 3 - which I understand is corrupted.

Micki

ladyB
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Yes emjp, I too have the same problem with the part 2 video. It only plays
until Johannes starts adding a deeper orange color to the building and then it
bounces back to the beginning of the video. I did try downloading it a few times
but to no avail.

Elaine L.

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2013, 08:03 PM
I do not understand. The fifteen minute break is at about 8 minutes into part 2. I played the video until the fifteen minute point - no issues. The issue is with part 3 - which I understand is corrupted.

Micki
Segment 1 and 3 are fine, Segment 2 is corrupt. We will have that ok by Monday.

mickisew
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Hm - my issue is with Segment 3. I will wait until Monday and download them all again. Just checked 2 again - not good. As I say, I will wait until Monday.

Micki

TexasArt
03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Are there still problems downloading Week 1, 2, and 3?
I use the link, enter the password given in the email, NOTHING HAPPENS except the password disappears. What did I miss?

nougat
03-23-2013, 01:23 AM
at last i managed to get a painting done!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/15364-2013-03-23_06.25.44.jpg

nougat
03-23-2013, 01:24 AM
it's actually somewhat brighter...

Rosemarie
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Wow, nougat! Good girl. I haven't finished the drawing yet.

nougat
03-24-2013, 01:05 AM
thank you fru :)

painteriam
03-24-2013, 08:21 AM
I am feeling successful on this one. It looks like it was a good motif for everybody. This series has been great! Yesterday's seascape was a challenge, but alas, I have a whole week to pull it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/139791-Mexican_Gate_-_Version_2.jpg

painterted
03-24-2013, 10:34 AM
very nice painteriam, like the foreground. Is that pastel?

ted

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Seascape

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/135220-Finished_Seascape.jpg

Tonalist
03-24-2013, 11:24 AM

My Issue is also with Part 3.. Haven't watch all of part 2 but, Part 3 won't even play.
(I guess I should mention I'm talking about 3-16-13 watercolor)

woody

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
My Issue is also with Part 3.. Haven't watch all of part 2 but, Part 3 won't even play.
(I guess I should mention I'm talking about 3-16-13 watercolor)

woody
Unless you downloaded it the last 48 hours get it again.

mariann1234
03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
I also tried to register for the class and was unable because of a security note on the site. I am on holiday so, I was trying to register from another country. I hope when I get home I do not have any problems registering for the next paint a long.

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
I also tried to register for the class and was unable because of a security note on the site. I am on holiday so, I was trying to register from another country. I hope when I get home I do not have any problems registering for the next paint a long.
I have been getting these complaints but I tell them to use another browser and the message no longer comes up.

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/135220-Finished_Seascape.jpg Made it less wormy

Jacdesusbielle
03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Really beautiful Jo. Love the whole painting but especially this touch of light you put on the background rocks and this super green tone in the left wave. Sorry I can't post yet on WC because I don't know yet how to resize. Just put the photo on Johannes Alumni album.

Tonalist
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Unless you downloaded it the last 48 hours get it again.

Got it Jo.. thanks
woody

Jacdesusbielle
03-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I am feeling successful on this one. It looks like it was a good motif for everybody. This series has been great! Yesterday's seascape was a challenge, but alas, I have a whole week to pull it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2013/139791-Mexican_Gate_-_Version_2.jpg
Absolutely beautiful Nougat ! Love it ! Congratulations !
(I am Herbeverte, probably the only French among the students....)

Jacdesusbielle
03-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Sorry Nougat and Painteriam, I just mixed up your two paintings .... That's just me .....anyway I love both and congratulate you on these nice work you did. Hope I am forgiven ....

painterted
03-24-2013, 08:09 PM
You Aced that one joe,

painter 55
03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
The seascape is absolutely beautiful, Jo. Anyone who did not watch the painting process from start to finish would not be aware of the masterful transition from acrylic under painting to this beautiful oil painting. Bravo!

Rosemarie
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
It is beautiful. The oil painting on top of the acrylic must have done wonders. I had to leave when the "oil session" started. The painting turned out much better than I remember it.

Linda Reyes1959
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2013/978726-002.JPG pan pastel

GoldenRetriever
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Linda Reyes1959 - Wow!:clap: Fantastic! You really captured the mood in your beautiful painting.

Pinklady219
03-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Anyone else having a problem with Segment 2 of 3/16? I just downloaded it twice and it is messed up when Johannes takes a break about 7 minutes into it. thank you
Carol

Rosemarie
03-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Yes, I have. It is supposed to be added a new but maybe they haven't had time.

Tonalist
03-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Anyone else having a problem with Segment 2 of 3/16? I just downloaded it twice and it is messed up when Johannes takes a break about 7 minutes into it. thank you
Carol

Yes.. Mine stops playing @ 00:06:51 like you said .. about when Johannes takes a break.
I assume they'll let us know when it's ok to download again.

woody

Rosemarie
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Now you can download a working copy!

pamshowcase
03-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Am I the only one dismayed by the message sent by Jo that to " finish" the seascape we neede to use oils? I started acrylics thinking that was a medium unto itself, less toxic and easier to travel with. It is discouraging that I have gone down this path in error.....maybe water mixable oils????????????
Confused here, Pŕm

Johannes Instructor
03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Am I the only one dismayed by the message sent by Jo that to " finish" the seascape we neede to use oils? I started acrylics thinking that was a medium unto itself, less toxic and easier to travel with. It is discouraging that I have gone down this path in error.....maybe water mixable oils????????????
Confused here, Pŕm
I did not say "you need to use oils to finish the painting'. I said I was going to use oils to finish the paintings because I like soft edges. That being said I see no reason why one could not use water soluble oils on top of an acrylic painting.

painter 55
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I must admit that I, too, was surprised when the "acrylic" demo turned into an oil painting. I also know Jo as an instructor, by way of observing, that I can learn from him no matter the medium used. With that said, I have painted in acrylic often enough to find that I can achieve soft edges but this calls for thinking about what values/colors to use and blending in with a lot of moistness. If you noticed, Jo does not spray down his acrylics as he paints. I use a spray bottle with water sparingly to keep it workable, along with good quality paint. Acrylic is a far more demanding medium than oil to keep on top of while working as it drys fast and colors can change in value when completely dry. The up side is that you can gesso or white out mistakes and do it over within minutes. I love both mediums; I've never painted oil over an acrylic under painting.

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Why not take the best of both worlds? Acrylics has advantages and disadvantages, same with oils. Then you capitalize on their positives aspects.

nougat
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
at last i managed to get a painting done!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2013/15364-2013-03-23_06.25.44.jpg

this painting was chosen by a friend as a gift to him...
i am soo pleased that he liked it enough to pick it.

painter 55
03-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Good for you Nougat. Way to go.

painteriam
03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Where are the seascape paintings??? Linda Reyes is the only one.

nougat
03-29-2013, 02:04 AM
lol you're right painter...me.i've been super busy all week....

nougat
03-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry Nougat and Painteriam, I just mixed up your two paintings .... That's just me .....anyway I love both and congratulate you on these nice work you did. Hope I am forgiven ....

HEHE no worries herbe.. i understand (and don't mind at all) that your congrats were really for painteriam :)
it really IS a lovely watercolour painteriam :)!!

TexasArt
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Every time I try to download the progress bar moves for a few min. and then I get the box

"C:\Users\Mary Ellen\Desktop\downloaded paint a long\Segment1-Class3-PaintAlong5.flv.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

Does anyone know what is wrong? :confused:

mickisew
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Every time I try to download the progress bar moves for a few min. and then I get the box

"C:\Users\Mary Ellen\Desktop\downloaded paint a long\Segment1-Class3-PaintAlong5.flv.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

Does anyone know what is wrong? :confused:

I downloaded the files last night. Due to your comment, I am downloading Segment 1 - Class 3 again. I am at 12% and no issues. I don't know your download speed, and last night the net was slow - March Madness?

Try again and let us know.

Micki

Monica1
03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi
I downloaded the videos. I"m very glad I did...It is so clear, amazing high resolution, now I can see it all! It is worth it.
I"m so happy.

chalet_dor
03-30-2013, 03:06 AM
I have downloaded the 2 seascape videos and they are perfect.
Thank you very much. I am so pleased. Will see everyone in the
pastel class later today.......smiles :)

LynnM
03-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone, great class today, thanks Jo! This is the first time I have finished any of the paintalongs on the day of....could only do it with this medium. If I don't post now, I'll just keep picking at it, and I don't have enough darks to do any more, just have the landscape 20 plus 12 darker shades and two extra blues. I didn't have the drawing done, so winged it. Enjoyed the chat :)

8.5x10.25 on colour fix paper, not tinted. I can see how the tinting helped. Great idea to add the flower pots, Jo!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/97813-My-pan-pastel-Class-5-4.jpg

painteriam
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Today was tough for me. I need a reference photo that I can rely on and a reasonably accurate drawing before I start. When the fountain was moved and then was the first form of attack I bottomed out right from the start. Also I was confused on where the horizon line was. When it was explained, I could not see where it was located. I spent the whole time playing catchup which is not fun for me. I pulled out a painting, but it bears little resemblance to Jo's. Lots of good tips, but my frustration handicapped my painting.

spudsmom
03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/895452-552404_10151312991802587_1443702415_n.jpg

Here's mine from today. Learned a lot, especially how to erase mistakes and how to fix a fountain more than once. I need to work on my shadow...but that will have to come tomorrow.

Looking forward to next month's paint along. Could we do another street scene? I have a great one from Japan...

Sherri

mickisew
03-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Today was tough for me. I need a reference photo that I can rely on and a reasonably accurate drawing before I start. When the fountain was moved and then was the first form of attack I bottomed out right from the start. Also I was confused on where the horizon line was. When it was explained, I could not see where it was located. I spent the whole time playing catchup which is not fun for me. I pulled out a painting, but it bears little resemblance to Jo's. Lots of good tips, but my frustration handicapped my painting.

The drawing nagged at me all week, and I, too, did not recognize the horizon line. Knowing that Johannes may change the drawing during the class, I did not start to sketch until today. However, after re-drawing the fountain many times, it was better to watch and learn.

As we learned in the "Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos", it is rare to have a reference photo that you can rely on. Also, one may need to change things around, from their initial thumbnail or sketch, to make a better composition.

If I am pleased with my composition, I will go with it - and listen to Johannes as I create my own painting. Other times, I will wait and sketch with him - or I will watch the live session and paint reviewing the video..

I don't know if my comments are helpful - I hope so!

Micki

Johannes Instructor
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
The drawing was placed in the students' access page several days before class under the reference photo. This drawing did show the fountain placed elsewhere.

chalet_dor
03-31-2013, 02:30 AM
Of course the drawing is the most difficult thing for me. So I carefully get the drawing done before class. Then when it changes I am in a mess. Therefore experience has taught me it is best for me to begin class, drop in and out and wait for the videos before attempting to paint. Happy painting everyone and I will see you next Saturday................

Jacdesusbielle
03-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Have you changed time in USA and Canada ? Because when I started at the habitual time, the painting was already well advanced and I could not catch up. As we have changed time today in France, I hope it will be allright next Saturday and we will be synchro again.
It was a great class Jo. Watching and listening half of the time was really very instructing. Love your hesitations and interrogations shared with everyone of us. Nevertheless, you remain a great Master and a wonderful teacher. Thank you !

Johannes Instructor
03-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Of course the drawing is the most difficult thing for me. So I carefully get the drawing done before class. Then when it changes I am in a mess. Therefore experience has taught me it is best for me to begin class, drop in and out and wait for the videos before attempting to paint. Happy painting everyone and I will see you next Saturday................
It really didn't change the drawing that much to offset the plan of action. I just moved it a tad to the right and made the bottom a bit wider. The only major change was the steps that I opted to take oout.

Johannes Instructor
03-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Have you changed time in USA and Canada ? Because when I started at the habitual time, the painting was already well advanced and I could not catch up. As we have changed time today in France, I hope it will be allright next Saturday and we will be synchro again.
It was a great class Jo. Watching and listening half of the time was really very instructing. Love your hesitations and interrogations shared with everyone of us. Nevertheless, you remain a great Master and a wonderful teacher. Thank you !
Well I gotta go by EDT

painter 55
03-31-2013, 10:34 AM
I did not try the pastel today as I knew I'd miss most of the class due to other obligations. About "drawing" I think back many years to when I discovered Betty Edwards' book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". That book helped me to trust myself and not fear the process of drawing. It has been reprinted over and over--a good book. I've found pastel to be an extension of drawing ability and totally relate to other students and their issues. To me, Johannes's 'landscapes from photos' class holds a tremendous amount of information and I'd suggest it for all painters in these paint along classes so that they understand about taking artistic license and not being a slave to the photo. It is a freeing experience to the artist when one is able to recognize, while painting, that they are thinking left brained instead of right brained.

Sgourlayart
03-31-2013, 10:54 AM
I did not try the pastel today as I knew I'd miss most of the class due to other obligations. About "drawing" I think back many years to when I discovered Betty Edwards' book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". That book helped me to trust myself and not fear the process of drawing. It has been reprinted over and over--a good book. I've found pastel to be an extension of drawing ability and totally relate to other students and their issues. To me, Johannes's 'landscapes from photos' class holds a tremendous amount of information and I'd suggest it for all painters in these paint along classes so that they understand about taking artistic license and not being a slave to the photo. It is a freeing experience to the artist when one is able to recognize, while painting, that they are thinking left brained instead of right brained.Excellent advice for all who struggle with drawing and composition! Make Johannes' landscape course the foundation of your video references and Betty Edwards' book the foundation of your printed library references and you will steadily improve your ability to keep up with Johannes in the paintalongs. Stu

Rosemarie
03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
It was the third Saturday with summer time in Canada and not in Europe!

LadyMadonna
03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
This my version of yesterday's pastel demo.
Special thanks to Johannes who always and without fail goes above and beyond for each one of us.
Wishing each and everyone of you all the blessings of Easter.

mickisew
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Excellent advice for all who struggle with drawing and composition! Make Johannes' landscape course the foundation of your video references and Betty Edwards' book the foundation of your printed library references and you will steadily improve your ability to keep up with Johannes in the paintalongs. Stu

I totally agree. I took Edward's course a few years back - book and workbook in library. Then Johannes came along with the Landscape course, and the "light bulb" came on - for me. It is by far the best, all-inclusive course on the market. The Essentials courses reinforce and continue (with examples) the learning experience. The Paint-Along Sessions are the best as we put it all into practice - with guidance. :)

Some students feel more secure using Johannes' drawing; others, including me, use the drawing to see where Johannes is going with his thoughts - especially when there is more than one reference photo. After all, he is the Master; I am the student. Those who have not taken the Landscape course and prepare before the drawing is uploaded do not realize that the photo is a "reference" - the inspiration - and not the composition. I hope I am saying that correctly.

I do prefer to sketch in my own drawing adjusting for the size surface being used for the painting. Unfortunately, sometimes the left brain gets in the way for the wrong reasons. LOL

In any event, this was a great session. I look forward to Session 6. It is always interesting and a challenge.

Micki

mickisew
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Special thanks to Johannes who always and without fail goes above and beyond for each one of us.

Donna: What can I say? Another success! I love it! You need to open that gallery, Girlfriend!

Yes - Happy Easter to all who are celebrating.

Jacdesusbielle
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2013/1067432-image.jpg

This is what I did yesterday. I know my flower bush on the right is awful, but I really don't know how to do that ..... I kept the steps to prevent this painting from falling down to the left. Not sure this was helpful .....
Pastel on Colourfix.

Tonalist
03-31-2013, 02:14 PM

What wonderful life you put in your paintings..Donna!

all of these paintings that I've seen from yesterday are just great.
woody

painter 55
04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you all for sharing your artist interpretation of the paint along. We are so lucky to have Jo as a teacher.

Linda Reyes1959
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/978726-007.JPG

chalet_dor
04-03-2013, 04:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2013/1184319-First_Pan_Pastel.jpg
Here is first try with Pan Pastels. :eek: At the moment I hate them because I can do much better with Water Mixable Oil Paint.

SweetMe
04-04-2013, 05:00 PM
:wave:Big Kids
Loved paint-a-long 5, looking forward to #6... Pleased that I could keep up with the watercolor and pastel (want to keep up with the oil, but need more practice), over worked them as usual, but learned a whole lot. Heard Joe's voice saying Melodic Lines, Melodic Lines.. I did some negative painting on purpose and it looks uckypoo, but where I did it by accident, it worked and worked reeeally well, 3D big time. Now I want to do more so it becomes part of the way I do things...
Joe, how about some micro landscapes, mushroom patches, mini habitats???
Looking forward to Sat with my fav instructor and classmaties(new word???)

jfwalton
04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Where can we find the reference photo for APril 6?

mickisew
04-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Where can we find the reference photo for APril 6?

If you did not bookmark the student access page when you completed the registration, email Johannes.

Micki

susanc
04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Here is first try with Pan Pastels. :eek: At the moment I hate them because I can do much better with Water Mixable Oil Paint.

Dor, I think that's wonderful for a first attempt at pan pastels. Keep it up!

Thanks to everyone who posted their final versions. I've enjoyed them and am jealous that I have nothing to post! :) Hopefully, next time...

firesignart
04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Hello again! I just signed up for the last half--I have missed these classes-so good for me. Downloading the videos now...

dartistflame
04-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Jo would you consider painting things like old classic trucks, cars or even a portion of one. Or old buildings with signs that we can capture shadows and make a flat surface look 3 D just from the way it is painted? Please consider these in acrylics and oils.

painter 55
04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I think Jo's style of painting is more impressionist than realist.

ToskaFromAlabama
04-26-2013, 11:17 PM
I think Jo's style of painting is more impressionist than realist.

I think he calls it "representational"

Jacdesusbielle
04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/1067432-falls.JPG

i am late in my paintings and don't how i will catch up .... there is still the Martha's Vineyard house to start. Have to wait anyway for the video.

Thank you immensely Jo for these two months of Paint Along wich were a load of learning, practicing, drinking your words and knowledge all along. Enjoy your stay in Cincinatti and your workshop with some of us - the fortunates ! - while the rest of your students is waiting for your return on line. In the meantime I'll practice, practice, practice .....
In some years you have created an enormous friendship all over the world. This is priceless ! Thank you.

LadyMadonna
04-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Thank you Jo. I never thought I could ever paint anything like this and now I have. It's crooked and imperfect but I happen to like it and hope to paint more.
Have a wonderful vacation !

mickisew
04-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you Jo. I never thought I could ever paint anything like this and now I have. It's crooked and imperfect but I happen to like it and hope to paint more.
Donna Angel: I think this is one of your best paintings. There are no words to convey how this painting makes me feel - it is a treat for the eyes - I like everything about it. You express yourself in your special way - you inspire me. Micki

HazelP
04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Donna Angel: I think this is one of your best paintings. There are no words to convey how this painting makes me feel - it is a treat for the eyes - I like everything about it. You express yourself in your special way - you inspire me. Micki

:wave: We need a 'like' button for this!!! :thumbsup:

LadyMadonna
04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
It is all of YOU who inspire me.

ToskaFromAlabama
04-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Love it Donna! I especially really like the porch roof.

Keep it colorful!

chalet_dor
04-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Here is my third try with Pan-pastels. Overworked for sure!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/1184319-dors_waterfalls.jpg

Sgourlayart
04-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Nice work Dor. You are really getting good with the pastels. Stu

chalet_dor
04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Nice work Dor. You are really getting good with the pastels. Stu

Thank you for your comment. Stu I tried so hard, all week long! I do not like them, but after buying all 80 of them I must learn to use them!
Perhaps if I spent that much time on an oil painting I would do a lot better!

chalet_dor
04-28-2013, 10:32 PM

Donna I agree with Micki and Hazel. Your painting are wonderful and an inspiration! :thumbsup:

Wetpaint0938
04-29-2013, 03:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2013/980416-IMG_1548.JPG
Im a little late on this but first painting since hip replacement surgery It is in Pan Pastels 12x16 After seeing the one Johannes did in oils I had to try it ..

Sgourlayart
04-29-2013, 09:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2013/980416-IMG_1548.JPG
Im a little late on this but first painting since hip replacement surgery It is in Pan Pastels 12x16 After seeing the one Johannes did in oils I had to try it ..
Nice work Barb. Stu

jmcedeno
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
[B][

Very good work guys you are really improving, congratulations !

Rosemarie
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
And here is my effort. :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2013/2623-DSCN1744liten.jpg

chalet_dor
04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Rosemarie]And here is my effort. :cat:

So happy you posted your painting Rosemarie. I wish more people would do so! Your painting is a joy to see. I have never tried a water color but am all set to go when I get the courage and time........: ))

Rosemarie
04-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Thank you chalet_dor! It was a struggle to get the right values. Left brain wanted to interfere all the time!!!

Sgourlayart
04-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Delightful watercolor, Rosemarie. Stu