PDA

View Full Version : M Highway North with Snow

mackay333
03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Oil on 16 x 20 canvas

This time it is the same highway going north with snow. I'm not sure about the yellow highlights on the snow.

Time to paint something other than the road in front of me. Thank you for looking.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2013/214639-20130302_M_Highway_North_with_Snow.JPG

scottcat
03-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I think I prefer the view going south which really stood out. Maybe your misgivings about the yellow highlights are correct - however they make a great pair of paintings to hang together. I love the clear sky with the lighter blue at the horizon - perfect graduation of colour.

D.W. Flint
03-03-2013, 12:23 AM
I like this one the best. You really captured the coldness of the scene.:thumbsup:

eyecandy2
03-03-2013, 11:12 AM
That dark section along the yellow line is a distraction. You need to look at tree branches. They are rarely just staight or curved. They are usually broken up in segments of shorter straight sections. I think that the fir trees in the near forground need a little better definition. You did capture that winter feeling and the road and snow look quite good.

hward
03-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Nice painting. Like someone else said, you really captured the cold.

The yellow highlights are good. They're like the bass part in music -- necessary, but often you don't notice it.

I wish the trees were more realistic-looking. Especially texture-wise. That's my gripe.

PaintBoss
03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I like this over all. You have done a lovely job. Feels like home for me...
I will gently agree that the branches of the trees (the hardwoods in particular) could use finer, and sharper lines/detail. I personally would go darker on the branches in the fore ground. A few touches of darker contrasts in the foreground tapering off in the middle ground helps in a landscape. Same with deeper shadows in the snow, and a few darker edges to the highway in the foreground and a hint in tuffs of dirt/grass near the hardwood at the left/foreground. That hardwood should have a darker trunk as it is the same value as your background. A little more punch to differentiate near to far. That's my 2 cents. I think it a very successful painting, now its just the final details that kick it up a notch!

mv-Frank
03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I agree with the comments. I would like to add that the snow as recedes it should be a bit more gray, thus adding to depth. The trees could easily be fixed by taking more time to draw them out-take time to carefully use shadow to define the trees. Not all trees are opaque, they need a sense of being able to "look through." The road closer to the viewer would be a little more darker.
I think the painting has a lot of potential!
Looking forward to seeing an update.
mv-Frank

rossmarie
03-11-2013, 07:11 PM
What I particularly like about this painting is the feeling of bright light and stillness it conveys. And, by the way, it's not often you see such a clear stretch of traffic-free road in England....aren't you lucky!

Mike :thumbsup:

Andrewcody
03-11-2013, 08:04 PM
For what it is I think you have captured it well
Not much snow here, but when I lived where it did snow the rule was never eat the yellow snow. I am unsure why the snow would have yellow highlights?
Regards
Andrew

La_
03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
i messed a bit with paintshop, hope you don't mind :angel:

1st is your original, then a greyscale (cause it's always good to view in greyscale to check values) and then a bit of morphing ... thoughts to ponder ...
-calmed the yellow stripe (a tiny bit of yellow ochre in with your cold yellow calms it considerably)
-spread the shadows on the road a bit, crossing over the stripe with them
-calmed the far distant white on the right, under the odd shaped tree
-calmed the super duper dark spot on the left evergreen (upper)
-speckled, the chalky white on the left side backgroundish area, with green
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/84648-alt.jpg
all in all it looks much like the tree lined roads i live around, it captures the season quite well and you've done an admirable job of it

la