PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo-March 2013

trafford
03-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Hi, every body,

How are things going? Are you getting ready for Spring or Winter, depending where you are?

The exchange looks very good and the responses to the other February postings as well.

I have started March off with the illustrator Aubrey Beardsley. I think he will be fun. Robin should be adding something too.

Cheers from janet :heart:

brianvds
03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I am determined that this month I want to return to painting some small panels. Been way too long. I do them on the cheap on pieces of cardboard cut from old boxes; it doesn't prevent me from learning the one and other.

Winter is probably still far off here, to the extent that our dry season can be called winter at all. Canadians would probably have a very good laugh at the very idea of winter in Pretoria. :-)

If I have time I'll have a go at the Beardsley project. I very much like his work. Its stark simplicity reminds me a bit of woodcuts or linocuts (another medium I want to try out some time).

trafford
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Cardboard from boxes is a good idea. I use brown paper bags for everything...drawings. envelopes, collage and you can even put them over your head as masks or make puppets.

Aubrey Beardsley should be easy this month...just pen and ink or brush and ink.

brianvds
03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
If memory serves, Toulouse-Lautrec often painted on cardboard. But I think he liked the effect of the paint sinking into the cardboard, creating a mat effect, so he used his cardboard as is (which is going to create a major headache for conservators before long...). I seal/prime the cardboard with a layer or two of acrylic, and then it can hardly be distinguished from Masonite as far as its handling is concerned. Perfectly suitable for learning, though when I want paintings to last a bit longer, I do them on Masonite.

I have a bottle of Indian ink lying around here, and since yesterday it has been whispering "Beardsley" whenever I turn my back on it. Then I turn around and give it a sharp look, but it just stands there, looking innocent. Problem is, I cannot get hold of really black ink anywhere around here. Even the stuff sold as Indian ink tends to be grayish rather than properly black. I wonder where our local newspaper caricaturists get their ink from.

Which makes me think we should actually run a caricature project one month...

Hmm, I should perhaps use my homemade ink for the Beardsley project, though it too does not necessarily give one really dark blacks.

brianvds
03-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Well, I said I was going to paint, and paint I did. I have become monstrously rusty though. Struggled mightily to estimate colours and values...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2013/142294-23_March_2013.JPG

azulparsnip
03-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Wow, Brian What a great painting. Wonderful.

I'm too looking forward to doing some Beardsley. I save cardboard from boxes - cereal and crackers too and love painting and drawing on them. The brown will do nicely with black ink.

I posted a new thread about doing art cards ( whatever size you like) with a classical theme....any classical work you want...one a week for the next two months. That would be 8 art cards. not necessarily an exchange but I wouldn't mind exchanging if anyone likes.

Here's some snails I've been drawing lately.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2013/88676-Snail2.gif

trafford
03-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Bananas and snails. Yummy! Sorry Mr. Snail I didn't mean that. Very nice work from Brian and Robin.

Since I started to take cloth bags to the grocery store, I'm becoming brown paper bagless. I'm reduced to sandwich bags and they don't have that much surface.

Brian you sound like it's hard to get the art supplies you want in Pretoria. That probably makes you more inventive and you've given me some good ideas.

I feel spring in the air, even though we are expecting another dump of snow tomorrow night. :cool:

brianvds
03-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Wow, Brian What a great painting. Wonderful.

Thanks. Love your snail too. They are such cute little creatures. :-)

brianvds
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Brian you sound like it's hard to get the art supplies you want in Pretoria. That probably makes you more inventive and you've given me some good ideas.

We don't seem to have much of an art making culture here. I sometimes wonder where on earth local professional artists get their materials from!

There is an art supply shop that is apparently quite good, but it is in a suburb rather far from where I stay, and the one day when I was in the vicinity I couldn't find it.

Some sorts of things I have never seen around here, e.g. an etching press and materials for making etchings. Which is weird because I often see etchings in local art galleries.

I have wanted to try my hand at linocut, but lino is almost impossible to get hold of and when you do, it is so expensive I can't afford it. I'll eventually make do with woodcut or perhaps just use floor linoleum if I can get some that is suitable. At least I can get hold of what seems like reasonably decent lino ink.

As for my bottle of Indian ink, I managed to get nice, velvety darks from it after all. Just applied it thickly, undiluted, straight from the bottle. I'll upload my attempt to the Beardsley thread shortly...

azulparsnip
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
good morning -
I too feel the spring Janet . Yesterday I begrudgingly wore my wool coat but had it off by 11am.

Brian - that is rotten that you can't find a good art supplier....inconcievable!

I tried to "stick" this thread and move the Feb cafe down but the tools are not working right not.

Take a few deep breaths and have a lovely day!

brianvds
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Brian - that is rotten that you can't find a good art supplier....inconcievable!

Oh, it's not THAT bad. Basic stuff like paints and brushes are readily available and not too expensive either. More of a problem to get hold of more specialized equipment, but it may be for the best as it forces me to be creative.

At one time I very much wanted to do etching. But I now wonder if would actually like it all that much - when it comes to print making, I am now thinking more of woodcuts, materials for which are easy enough to get hold of, and maybe collographs.

I find that ballpoint pen makes for a good "poor man's etching." :-)

Plus, here's a text bunny, absolutely free of charge:

(\ /)
( . .)
c(")(")

I tried to "stick" this thread and move the Feb cafe down but the tools are not working right not.

We'll just have to keep it current then by posting a lot. :D

brianvds
03-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Weekend: time to paint. I have had a piece of 6 x 8 inch canvas board lying around here for ages, so today I decided to take the plunge and paint on it instead of my usual cardboard cut from a cereal box.

My verdict: I hate it. The paint soaks right into it and it's a battle to blend or manipulate on the support. Only Masonite for me from now on, I think...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2013/142294-24_March_2013.JPG

trafford
03-10-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't know Brian. It looks OK to me, in fact pretty good. I know sometimes work looks better in photo or scanned than for real. At least now you won't have to think about that bit of canvas that's been hanging around.

I like masonite too.

brianvds
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't know Brian. It looks OK to me, in fact pretty good. I know sometimes work looks better in photo or scanned than for real. At least now you won't have to think about that bit of canvas that's been hanging around.

I like masonite too.

In this case, in some respects the photo looks better than the original; in others the original looks better.

Funny thing is, after initially hating the feel of the canvas board, it is now beginning to grow on me. I may after all try it again and see what it does next time.

With the commercially available canvas board, it is supposedly already primed for oil or acrylic, but I wonder if one should not add another layer of acrylic. Perhaps that will help to prevent the oil paint from soaking in so much. Don't know. But I have to say, the oil soaking in reduces the drying time and makes it easier to layer more colour onto the wet layer. So it may have some advantages, and I kind of like the canvas texture showing through.

Oh well, I am at the very beginning of my painting career (I kept track of them, and that last one was painting number 24) so I shouldn't panic too much. With experience and experimentation, I'll get more clarity on what I want.

azulparsnip
03-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Wow, Brian! that is wonderful!

azulparsnip
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
I got a wild hair last week and began a local sketch crawl group........ummm, and today is the first meeting.
I have not idea how many artists are gonna show. My daughter (16) is coming (I'm picking her up early from school, and her boyfriend, and one of her acquaintances who graduated from high school last year are going......but how the older art community will show??? They posted it in the art council website etc etc. So we are to meet 12pm to 4pm--adventure

trafford
03-12-2013, 06:31 AM
It may take a little time for the group to take off. How did it go yesterday? I would be with you drawing away if I were in NC, and so would the rest of us. GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

brianvds
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
If I were to go on a communal sketch crawl I'd be too busy socializing to actually getting any sketching done, I think. For me, art is very much a solitary pursuit. It's what I like about it. :-)

azulparsnip
03-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Janet , thanks for the well wishes. It was really fun. There were just 4 of us - my daughter, her boyfriend and another young man out of high school last year. The bond that was there as we stood on the sidewalk facing different directions and quietly sketching was beautiful. Never experienced it before. I was most surprised when I asked How often did they want to meet? EVERY WEEK was the enthusiactic reply. But we are meeting every other monday.
One said how long are we gonna meet? Another replied - till we are sick of each other.......very wise people, very open. We had starters at a restaurant and shared our drawings.

my favorite was the dead squirrel.....One sensitive member refused to draw it.....

Brian, It sounds like most of your friends do not draw or paint. You would talk a lot maybe but if you were on a sketch outting together I'm sure they would listen. Well, I hope they would anyway. Anyway, Your "solitary " paintings are beautiful. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2013/88676-RIPsquirrel.gif

azulparsnip
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
a few more sketchcrawl sketches -http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2013/88676-Joes.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2013/88676-alex.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2013/88676-lily.gif

trafford
03-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Love the sketches Robin. Is that really a mask in the first sketch? I love masks.
Used to go to a life study group at the local art association. We'd all throw in 10 bucks for the model and the association let us have the space free on Monday nights. It was a lot of fun, though we had too many male models and not enough gals. I miss it.

Though we haven't attracted too many yet to Blast from the Past it is very good for me. It assures that I will do at least some art every week and I get to look through some of my ignored art books.

Have a nice Sunday everybody. :heart:

azulparsnip
03-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Good morning Traffie - thanks for looking at my sketches. The object that looks to be a mask was a plastic skull adorned with a black scarf, pirate style. It does look flat. I get into lines and need to concentrate on expressing mass quickly also!.

Sounds like your life study experiences were a lot like mine - a lot of fun! I thought about what it would take to model nude……….. it would be hard being so looked at by the people with fetishes or obsessiveness.

Yep, we are a small group here in current projects. I feel like that about that once a week a little ditty of classical art. I too am using it this week to look at an artist I'm not familiar with.

I hope to get mine done this evening. I'm working one day a week at a vegan delivery restaurant business. It is really fun. gets me outta the house.

later, friend

azulparsnip
03-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I got a call for an appointment for a henna tattoo! First time!

trafford
03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Hurrah henna. It's like getting your first art sale.

This painting was so beautiful I had to share it.
A Gustav Klimt I've never seen before:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2013/42757-klimt.jpg
GUSTAV KLIMT

brianvds
03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
This painting was so beautiful I had to share it.
A Gustav Klimt I've never seen before...

Never seen that one either, and it is indeed rather beautiful.

Me, I'm on holiday at the moment, and you'd think I would have plenty of time for art. I do, but I don't have energy. I have decided to take these two weeks OFF, as in OFFFFFF. OFF! So I'm doing nothing more than laze around with a book.

A friend of mine has a little semi-adopted daughter of seven or so. The girl likes me because I often draw her little pictures to colour. Last weekend I tried to draw a camel next to an oasis, only to find that I can't really remember what exactly a camel looks like, so mine came out rather weird. One doesn't know what anything looks like until one has drawn it, and by drawing lots of stuff, one slowly develops an internal library of forms to play with.

So I decided to work on remedying my camel-blindness: I downloaded a bunch of photos of camels from the web (the web's a treasure trove!) and started making quick sketches from them. Another twenty camels or so, and perhaps I'll be able to draw a half-credible one from memory...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2013/142294-2013_camel.JPG

The paper is cheap print paper and it is a bit warped (absorbed some moisture at some point, perhaps), hence the rather weird shadowy things on the photo. :-)

trafford
03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Looks good to me Brian. Put a Magi king up on the camel and you have a Christmas card. Animals are very hard for me to draw...but you are right, practice does make...you know what.

Enjoy your vacation!

brianvds
03-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Looks good to me Brian. Put a Magi king up on the camel and you have a Christmas card.

Indeed, but of course I'll then have to first find dozens of pictures of magi and learn to draw them too. One thing at a time! :-)

brianvds
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
And another installment in the camel series. The more I draw, the more I realize that the only style I ever really wanted to master is ligne claire. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_claire ) That's what came of me being practically glued to the Tintin comics when I was a kid. ;-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2013/142294-2013_camel_2.JPG

When I was in school, I had a friend who was vastly more talented than I. We drew all the time, and I was endlessly envious of his abilities. But he too was under the spell of Hergé, and drew in this same style. And seeing as I'm one of those people who just never grew up, here I still am, decades later, still trying to master the style. :-)

brianvds
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
And yet another camel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/142294-2013_camel_3.JPG

It occurs to me that I don't know what a camel lying down looks like. I'll have to go find references...

azulparsnip
03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Janet - thanks for posting that Klimt. I too had never seen that. I love the way he inserts cool texture, like little jewels….it is so spontaneous.

Brian - yes, studying camels like that is fun. I'm doing that with snails - I'm up to #14 and am going for 25. And have a growing list of animals to study next. Each camel you draw seems to be more and more merged with you…….cool!

The Ligne claire style…..make it your own….sounds like you have the seed to nurture….

I'm very line oriented and am working on a line/mass balance……..beardsley was good at it….

cubist snail doodle has alot of seeds for more studyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/88676-14-Snail--cube-snails1.gif

brianvds
03-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Brian - yes, studying camels like that is fun. I'm doing that with snails - I'm up to #14 and am going for 25.

I like your snails, especially those last, cubist ones. I'm probably sooner or later going to explore snails myself - I have always found them very cute.

And have a growing list of animals to study next. Each camel you draw seems to be more and more merged with you…….cool!

I have suddenly developed a bit of a mania to study various animals. Mostly domestic ones, for the moment. But you are right: the more you draw them, the more you get to know them and the more they enrich your internal visual library.

I suppose we'll have another photo reference project this April? If so, I'll try to make time to participate, and this time do everything in my linear style. I have always hated working from photos because of my inability to develop them into highly realistic drawings, but I have come to realize I don't want to do that anyway. This new linear thing has been tremendously liberating.

Incidentally, I'll also be happy to contribute reference photos, so let me know if you need me to.

The Ligne claire style…..make it your own….sounds like you have the seed to nurture….

Yes, indeed: I want to develop it into a style for fine art instead of comic books. That will take a lot of experimentation, although the post-impressionists have to some extent already done it. For the moment, just drawings until I am better versed in it, then I'll try it with paint.

I'm very line oriented and am working on a line/mass balance……..beardsley was good at it….

Yes, I have kind of accepted that highly rendered classical drawing isn't really for me. I have never been able to master it, and never liked trying it much anyway (except, for some reason, when doing still life, so I now reserve my bursts of classicism for still life). Somehow a drawing never seems complete to me until all the forms are properly outlined. I do that even in still life drawings, though less so in paintings.

I always keep on getting the same feedback: there are no lines in nature! Could be, but there are in my imagination. :-)

I have noticed that all my favourite art tends to be linear in its design, with clear lines either explicitly present or implied, hence I like Ancient Egyptian art, Medieval and early Renaissance art, and then post-impressionism and some of what the expressionists did. I have also acquired a taste for Picasso. And what do they all have in common? Linear designs with relatively flat panels of colour.

Well, I don't draw and paint either for a living or to please critics, so I have decided I might as well do what I actually like to do instead of torturing myself with styles I don't like just to please the inner critic. The inner critic can go jump in a lake.

trafford
03-30-2013, 10:14 AM
All critics should jump in the lake. You should always paint as you like.

Anyway,,,,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/42757-moon_flowers.jpg
MOON FLOWER COLLAGE
HAPPY EASTER CLASSICOS

brianvds
03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Nice collage! It's a medium I have yet to try. Perhaps some time this year. But too busy at the moment, with camels! :-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/142294-2013_camel_4.JPG

trafford
03-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey, Brian. Better and Better.

brianvds
03-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Enough camels for the moment; on to cattle:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2013/142294-2013_cow.JPG

azulparsnip
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Janet - Lovely morning glories. really spring up

Brian - you really got the camel machismo going on in the last one. The bovine is so beautiful. The really are solid animals with gentle eyes. Though big animals like that do give me shivers.
Ummm, you mentioned having a few photos to share in a paint-a-long?
I'm setting up an April/May paint-along , if you would like to post some photos there we'd love it! I'll have the link up here in a tick.

azulparsnip
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19551463&posted=1#post19551463allrightie then.....here is the link to the photo paint-a-long

see you around:)

brianvds
04-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Janet - Lovely morning glories. really spring up

Brian - you really got the camel machismo going on in the last one. The bovine is so beautiful. The really are solid animals with gentle eyes. Though big animals like that do give me shivers.

I grew up on a small farm, so cows are among my favourite creatures. They are for the most part quite gentle too, though they can get rather badly tempered when they have calves, and bulls can be downright aggressive.

Ummm, you mentioned having a few photos to share in a paint-a-long?
I'm setting up an April/May paint-along , if you would like to post some photos there we'd love it! I'll have the link up here in a tick.

Okay, I posted some photos in the thread. Hopefully I'll have time to use some of them too. :-)