PDA

View Full Version : Two quick and loose ones

mirizar
03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Here are two quick and loose OP paintings done on gessoed matboard as usual. The macaw is based on hubby's photo and is approx. 8 x 10 inches. The sunflower is 8 x 12 approx. and based on a PMP photo. Note that the darks in the sunflower are not nearly as dark yet the center of the flower is darker than the photo shows.

C&C are welcome.

I'm trying to do more of these quick studies to try and loosen up a little.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2013/31994-macaw_OP.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2013/31994-sunflower_OP.jpg

theopolis
03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm drawn to your picture of the sunflower.
Nice work!

Lostjedi
03-01-2013, 02:47 PM
I love your loose style it has a relaxed free feeling in it. I am courius how ling it takes you to do one of these. Just wondering because I seem to fuss with my stuff for hours.

mirizar
03-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi! I usually paint very tightly so I've been giving myself a limited amount of time to do these.

The bird was about 20 minutes, while the flower was about 40 mins (excluding preparing the support and initial rough sketch). They're small so that helps too!

Pat Isaac
03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
These are really nice sketches, Michelle. I especially like the sunflower. Whenever anyone says they want to loosen up, I often wonder why. Why?

Pat

mirizar
03-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks Pat!
Why do I want to paint lose? Hmmmm...I think there's an energy or a passion in creating (and viewing) lose paintings that I don't always find in tight paintings. I like both styles actually. In fact, I like everything from hyper-realism to abstraction :)

Pat Isaac
03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I guess what I am saying is that you have to be true to yourself and defintely try other techniques to find what works for you, but not to think this is what I should do ...loosen up. Your passion will come through.

Pat

mirizar
03-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I guess what I am saying is that you have to be true to yourself and defintely try other techniques to find what works for you, but not to think this is what I should do ...loosen up. Your passion will come through.

Pat
I agree Pat! I'm just all over the place still ;) LOL! I know this at least, I don't have the patience for hyper-realism, but maybe realism...not sure! For me, it's almost like every photo has a medium or style that in my mind works best for it. If I see soft delicate flowers I want to do them in watercolor. If I see bold colors I think OPs and oils...This is just how my brain works (or doesn't work--LOL!). I'm full of contradictions: an artist and an Engineer/statistician, half-man/half-woman brain (according to some tests I did a while back).

Anyway, back to topic :angel: I love art no matter the style!

Pat Isaac
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I understand....just keep experimenting and you will find your voice....

Pat

Flycatcher10
03-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Beautiful paintings Michelle, quick or not - you are very talented. These are wonderful, my favorite is the parrot.

SammyH
03-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Michelle, these are both really good for such quick studies. I'm impressed. Congratulations for giving yourself permission to experiment.

I've just started a portrait of my oldest great granddaughter in colored pencil. It includes a guitar and one hand. I'll be working on it for weeks. I ask myself, "Why?" The colored pencil work is gorgeous but tedious. After this, I'll have three great grandchildren paintings done with four to go. Nobody better get pregnant. Yikes. I don't think that I'll do a lot of colored pencil when these portraits are finished.

mirizar
03-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Sammy, you see, it IS definitely worth it to have portraits of your grandchildren!!!! I've been meaning to paint my children but I don't do well painting people, so I keep postponing it. I'm also debating which medium to use to paint them.

Can't wait to see your latest painting!

Lostjedi
03-02-2013, 12:49 AM
20 min is impressive to me.

RainySea
03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Beautiful. . . the background of the parrot is like a subtle rainbow. But the flower is my favorite.

Regarding loosening up. . . I am doing the Strathmore workshop that started this month with Robert Joyner, and his style is very loose. I think its fun to try new things and sometimes they may be enjoyable and freeing. Sometimes not. What I did for workshop was neocolor and acrylic so didn't share it in this forum.

mirizar
03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks Rainy for your nice comment. Will check out Robert Joyner, never heard of him before. I do acrylics too ;)

Just saw his work and love it! Is it an online workshop?

RainySea
03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Its online and its FREE

http://www.strathmoreartiststudio.com

mirizar
03-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the link!

parikk
03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow you paint very fast and these are amazing. I love the backgrounds and how they accentuate the focal points on the pictures.

Andrew
03-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Its online and its FREE

http://www.strathmoreartiststudio.com

That looks fantastic! Thanks for the heads up (indirectly anyway)!

Andrew