PDA

View Full Version : Art material in Bangkok

rujo
02-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Hi,
Could anyone tell me where is the best place in bangkok to buy watercolour paints. I'll be visiting shortly and was wondering what brands are available there. We only get limited tubes of W&N and daler Rowney here in India ( that too sporadic)...Anyone from Bangkok...help...

M.L. Schaefer
02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Hello, Rujo! Welcome to Wet Canvas.

Although I love in the United States, one of our members does live and paint in Thailand. He buys from (Ken?) Bromleys in the U.K. and has it shipped to Thailand. Which to me means that quality paints may be very difficult to get in Thailand. My suggestion, stock up before your trip. Possibly with some Camel paints? Or see what Bromleys has to offer and when you may expect shipment.

My heart does go out to those who can not find quality paints...and I'm especially surprised that India does not have sources of European-made paints...

My very best, and I hope you she photographs of your visit and sketchbook paintings!

:heart: Margarete

rujo
03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi Margarete,

Thanks for your reply. And my apologies for not replying earlier.

I don't think I'll get any time to paint or sketch in Bangkok. Its an official trip and would be busy attending meetings through the day. Just thought , might get some time to shop and hence paint shopping was on the agenda.
We do get W&N here in India but most of the colours are out of stock with the retailer. I do use camel but the quality is not good and they don't reveal the pigment used. So I try to avoid them as much as possible.
Ciao...
Runa

M.L. Schaefer
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Hello, Runo...Pack your camera, plenty of batteries and paint when you get back! And share those photos...we've had other tourists to Thailand post photos, as well, and we so thoroughly enjoyed them! Take a sketch book and some cheapo paint, just to keep track of lighting, etc. (although Thailand's light may be the same as India's light?)

So, remember Bromleys when you are going to buy more paint...you may be pleasantly surprised...and you can get a wide range of paints. It is so sad that India does not have an online paint store, or some place where Indian artists and others close by, could buy their favorites!

:heart: Margarete

janinco
03-07-2013, 04:55 PM
You might want to read this older blog post by an artist in Bangkok:

http://voices.yahoo.com/best-places-buy-art-supplies-bangkok-thailand-2447235.html

She doesn't specifically mention watercolor brands, but maybe you could check with the stores ahead of time.

Jan

btate
03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
As mentioned above I order my supplies from Bromley in the UK. Excellent service throughout the process.

I no longer live in Bangkok so am not up to date on the supply availability. I have checked on several of the places mentioned in the link posted by janinco and was disappointed to say the least. Trying to get to or find shops related to universities is the definition of futility or frustration. Small extremely hard to find and overrun with students.

I have not been to Paragon so don't know the situation there at all. I have been in lots of the B2S stores, (a national chain store here in Thailand that specializes in office supplies and books). The paints available are generally Student grade for both watercolor and acrylics. I did find a limited variety of W&N watercolors in very small tubes (the size of your little finger) at one store a few years ago.

Have never found any artist quality watercolors since, having visited 6 or 7 stores around the country.

Brushes are of the cheapo kind and readily fall apart, good throw away brushes for use with masking fluid. Cannot find masking fluid anywhere.

Paper is limited to Arches and Canson pads of various sizes.

Lots of color pencils but water soluble come in limited sets of dubious quality with brands I've never heard of. Tons of poster paints etc. Forget trying to purchase a large variety of leads or pencils for drawing or even charcoal sticks, or pastels with the exception of oil pastel sets.

Its amazing to me that there are not art supplies available readily, since the Thais love to draw and paint... must be the expense that keeps the artist quality stuff out of favor.

Bernie