PDA

View Full Version : **~Choosing your Brushes~** by Birgit O'conner.

laudesan
02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Birgit O'Conner (http://birgitoconnorwatercolor.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/how-to-choose-watercolor-brushes.html) is an amazingly good Canadian Artist. She has recently made a really useful video on How to Choose your Brushes..

AnuslQoHdE0

M.L. Schaefer
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Thank you, JJ. I'm glad she talked about "organic" shapes, since I've use that term, and even suggested using a round versus to a flat on Yupo, because the round will give organic shapes.

One thing everyone should remember is that Birgit paints HUGE! Many (Most?) of us would never ever need a size 30! But she makes some wonderful points, except for one. I was blessed enough to buy some "no-longer" manufactured pure sables. They have spring, hold water, and do the same things as the "mixed" - but I suppose I'm being protective of my sables...the mixed brushes may be the perfect union if we do not have a springy, hold-the-point sable.

And, here's my edit: Winsor & Newton has Squirrel "Pointed" mops, which are small size to huge, they hold a wonderful point, hold bunches of water and paint, and would be a perfect way to not have to pay many many $$$$ for a size 20 or size 30 brush :eek: !

Actually, I wish you had named a Learning Thread: Let's Talk About Brushes...with the video as a stepping off place for comments!

:heart: Margarete

DaveCrow
02-28-2013, 05:52 PM
When she described a size 12 as "small" and then went on that her favorite is a size 30 I got the picture that she paints much larger than I do.

Fun video.

WthrLady
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
She's a full sheet painter. I also never buy a brush without touching it first: handle and brush are personal.

ona
02-28-2013, 09:02 PM
JJ, Birgit is from California not Canada but she loves visiting like you do :)

A message from her after I chatted to her and sent her the link to this thread

"I use my 14, 20 & 30 on my 1/4" & 1/8" sheets too, not only large paintings " :)

olliewood0702
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes Birgit lives in Cali; and she DOES paint large. When I took her workshop I bought a #30 brush. Painting big was fun...now if only I can get back to large. ;)

laudesan
02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Oooops Sorry Birgit, really I am. I did forget you were California based.

Like Ona, I paint in a variety of sizes, and I use a large brush. I have size 30, but my favourite all round brush is a Rekab series 320S size 12. It hold a ton of water, and it points beautifully. My smallest brush, has about 4 hairs. Mostly the smallest I use is a #6

Full Sheet, is not really big. It is what one gets used to. The bigger the paper, the more detail one can get in. Eh. :)