PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the treat that came in my Mail yesterday!

WthrLady
02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Meet Miss Moneypenny! She's box #007 so I WAS going to name her Sean, but that stunning BLUE...she's a girl! :clap: I can't wait to take her out for a spin. All DS paints, as I don't like the way MGraham stays wet in a travel palette.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/385681-20130226_150801.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/385681-20130226_150837.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/385681-20130227_184925.jpg

laudesan
02-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Cool!!!!

molly007
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Caryl, So is the the same or different than Craig Young? The design looks the same but when I looked up The Little Brass Boy Company, I couldn't find anything. Do tell. I like it very much. Good for you!!

Nicole

WthrLady
02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
It's box not boy :)

CharM
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
But it's Blue, Caryl... You have a Blue Boy! :)

Congratulations! What a happy thing to find in your mailbox. You must be over the moon!

Mayberry
02-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Beautiful!

doppler
02-28-2013, 01:43 AM
It's great Caryl :thumbsup:

Yorky
02-28-2013, 01:43 AM
:envy: :envy: :wave:

It's beautiful Caryl.

Doug

juneto
02-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Oh My !!! What A Beauty!!:music: :music:
Enjoy , Enjoy !!!!
June:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :) :) :) :wave:

Caroleanne
02-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Ooh it's just gorgeous. You must be so excited!. I would be a little green but I too have one on order due to arrive at the end of March...I have been saving for ages and it will be so loved when it arrives!

All those decisions of what colours to put in and in what order:wink2: your DS paints look really juicy. Did you decide not to use whole pans? I love that it comes in it's own little pouch too.

Do let us know when you've taken 'her' or 'him' for her/his maiden voyage!

Enjoy
Carole

daniel.
02-28-2013, 04:00 AM
It's beautiful! Congratulations! Wonderful color too.

I had honestly no idea that there is a new manufacturer of these lovely boxes! Can someone please compare this with the Craig Young Paintbox? I should get mine in two months from Craig but the prices are higher and there is no removable tray!

Neeman
02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
A boy
Box its ears

Good luck with it

Enjoy...............

Aderynglas
02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
That's just gorgeous! I got shivers looking at it :heart:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

olliewood0702
02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Oh boy.....or girl......it's SO SHINY AND NEW....like a brand new penny.:envy: I'm drooling here. Your paints look so beautiful in their respective cups. Have fun, Caryl!:thumbsup:

WthrLady
02-28-2013, 09:39 AM
I like the sound of, "I'll be out with Miss Moneypenny. Back in an hour!"

They are full pans.

I've never held a Craig Young, so I couldn't tell you the similarities or differences. This box does have rounded corners, which I love. And for a few dollars more you can pick from a whole giant palette of exterior paint colours. Then there is the removable tray.

Caroleanne
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Caryl

Oh sorry I didn't make myself clear ...I see they are full pans, I meant that you put your gorgeous juicy paints straight in the tray, not using plastic whole pans.

I believe the plastic pans will fit?

Do tell us about your maiden voyage!

Caroleanne

virgil carter
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Absolutely beautiful! Too small for my brushes, but it's certainly a work of art all by itself. I'll bet wonderful and magical paint combinations will result from its use.

Does it have a bottom ring for secure holding?

Sling paint,
Virgil

Noula
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Ooh Caryl enjoy this new baby!:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

WthrLady
02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes, the plastic pans will fit very well. However, I usually have a standard 6 colours, which are in there, then a expanded set of 15, in the box. So I don't see the need to juggle the tiny pan fill boxes to swap out colours. If I go somewhere I need an odd color, I'll toss the tube in the bag on the way out the door.

No thumb ring. I hold it from the side and put my crooked arthritic thumb in that corner empty pan.

He does make them with finger holes though for those that like them.

Caroleanne
02-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Ah thank you Caryl...I will probably take a while to settle on my final choice of paints, especially as I am going on a painting course/holiday with Peter Cronin in May so may feel inclined to change some colours.

I have on order a left-handed palette with thumb ring. I couldn't make out what the difference would be with handedness so John emailed me a photo showing how the thumb ring slants to suit handedness...so cool! I can't wait now,

Enjoy...am certain you will

Caroleanne

Irishman
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Absolutely beautiful and you deserve it

cgonzaga
02-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Caryl, is this the Cirrus color and does he have his logo on the box itself ? It would be a shame if it doesn't. It really is a beauty.
You should have done an unboxing video. That would have been cool.

WthrLady
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
No. Cirrus is a baby blue. This is special order ultramarine. Pay a little extra a pick from a huge palette of amazing colours. Yes, there is a brass label and number on the left flap on the top.

WthrLady
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Caryl, is this the Cirrus color and does he have his logo on the box itself ? It would be a shame if it doesn't. It really is a beauty.
You should have done an unboxing video. That would have been cool.
I would have broken the camera with all the squealing!

happhoto
02-28-2013, 08:46 PM
:envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :thumbsup:

cgonzaga
02-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Caryl,your squeeeeling means I made the right decision. Mine would be Cirrus with all the corners closed. No custom colour though.

Saint Ragdoll
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Daniel, I own a Craig Young box that looks just like WthrLady's box and the inner tray is separate, it comes out so you can use the bottom of the box for a juicy wash or just to clean it.I seem to remember CY offering to make extra inner trays for his boxes so an artist could change palettes as wanted.
My CY bov looks so much like the Little Brass Box Company box, I cant see any differances. My box has whole pans like this one, the same number as The Little Brass Box company box. on.y difference is My box is a dark navy blue.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

artdragon86
03-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Such a beautiful paintbox :D Enjoy! I will probably never be able to afford one (and even if I could, being frugal I probably couldn't justify buying one when I have perfectly good metal palettes that were <$50), but if I did, I would get one to the same specifications as yours but in deep purple (that lovely purple on the Cadbury chocolate wrappers). Also I'd have to use plastic pans, otherwise I'd give myself an aneurism trying to work out what colours to put in there hehe

I love looking at people's Craig Young/Little Brass Box palettes. They really are a work of art in their own right.

Doris345
03-01-2013, 03:46 AM
:envy: :envy:

daniel.
03-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Daniel, I own a Craig Young box that looks just like WthrLady's box and the inner tray is separate, it comes out so you can use the bottom of the box for a juicy wash or just to clean it.I seem to remember CY offering to make extra inner trays for his boxes so an artist could change palettes as wanted.
My CY bov looks so much like the Little Brass Box Company box, I cant see any differances. My box has whole pans like this one, the same number as The Little Brass Box company box. on.y difference is My box is a dark navy blue.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll
I didn't realized that the CY box has removable tray as well. I checked Craig's website and he does indeed offer the trays. Thanks a lot for the info!

Saint Ragdoll
03-01-2013, 11:01 PM
I think the Little Brass Box Co. Boxes are a bit less expensive than CY's boxes.
I was mourning the day Mr. Young stopped making boxes so I am glad there is some one else out there who loves these old design boxes enough to make them and offer them to artists.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

artdragon86
03-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I think the Little Brass Box Co. Boxes are a bit less expensive than CY's boxes.
I was mourning the day Mr. Young stopped making boxes so I am glad there is some one else out there who loves these old design boxes enough to make them and offer them to artists.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll
When did he stop making them? I thought people were still buying them :confused:

Saint Ragdoll
03-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Rebecca,
He is still making them, but I have heard him reffered to as an older gentelman so he wont me making them forever. And when he stops I was acraid there wouldnt be anymore until I heard that The Little Brass Box Co started making boxes..... I have a Craig Young box and they are something special, beautiful, practical and you know you are using something that was from a time and artist tested design and individually made by hand and wll outlast you to delight a future artist....In this day of designed obsolence, our " throw it away" society, It makes a difference, not in the art created, but the artists feelings while creating art to have the priviledge of using a a handmade paintbox like a CY or LBBC paintbox.
Didnt mean to get up on a soapbox, but I am not fond of the way society uses and throws away so much, it has gotten to the point that this "throw it in the trash when it isnt useful" way of thinking has begun to be applied to things it shouldnt as well as people and animals.
I remember a time when this wasnt as widespread as it is today.
Not connected to CY or LBBC....just love the boxes.
Ok, off soapbox and back to drawing now, found some water soluable graphite and water soluable carbon from Artgraf....I am addicted now!!!!!!!

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Rustem
03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Caryl - congratulations on your new arrival. Enjoy :wave:

Rusty

artdragon86
03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Rebecca,
He is still making them, but I have heard him reffered to as an older gentelman so he wont me making them forever. And when he stops I was acraid there wouldnt be anymore until I heard that The Little Brass Box Co started making boxes..... I have a Craig Young box and they are something special, beautiful, practical and you know you are using something that was from a time and artist tested design and individually made by hand and wll outlast you to delight a future artist....
In this day of designed obsolence, our " throw it away" society, It makes a difference, not in the art created, but the artists feelings while creating art to have the priviledge of using a a handmade paintbox like a CY or LBBC paintbox.
Any of those handmade paintboxes would be a wonderful thing to have. As I said in a previous post, though I could never justify buying one, they are beautiful and can be handed down through your family as an heirloom, and if a grandchild ends up using it and carrying on the tradition, all the better. I know that I like to use my nice metal palettes more than I like my cheap plastic palettes; yes, they perform the same function, but there is that little 'buzz' you get out of using nice, well-made materials. Maybe if I ever win the lottery and become a really good artist, I will treat myself to a handmade paint box :crossfingers:

Didnt mean to get up on a soapbox, but I am not fond of the way society uses and throws away so much, it has gotten to the point that this "throw it in the trash when it isnt useful" way of thinking has begun to be applied to things it shouldnt as well as people and animals.

Don't worry, Teresa, I completely agree with you about the nature of society today. Often my Nan and I discuss how sad it is that everything these days is almost designed to break/wear out within a year, as people would rather just pay less money and replace it more often instead of paying a bit more for quality material that lasts (the discussion then was in relation to clothes and appliances but it applies to a lot of other things as well). And part of the problem is society's 'need' to always have the most up-to-date technology, even if the 6-month old device they have still works perfectly well (I personally only update phones etc when the previous one wears out or cannot function anymore... I don't care about all the fancy features :evil:)

Ok, off soapbox and back to drawing now, found some water soluable graphite and water soluable carbon from Artgraf....I am addicted now!l
Are they those black carbon squares that you buy from WetPaint Art? I have seen those and been intrigued by them, but I don't really do enough monochrome painting/drawing to warrant getting one. They look like they'd be fun to play with though... (No, I do NOT need an excuse to buy more art supplies :D)

Saint Ragdoll
03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Rebecca, i bought my watersoluable carbon from the local Jerrys after seeing them in the Jerrys catalog. They are awesome! You can drW with the edge just like a pencil and if you use a water you can do some terrific monocrome light/ dark sketches!! Only drWback is it is kinda messy when wet, i am looking for some kind of box to put it in as I like using it wet more than drawing with the edge when dry. It is too small to fit well in Altoids box and a little too. Ig for the Altoids smalls box! I have a thing for anything that is watersoluable, love the Derwent Grafatints, have the boxed set of Watersoluable graphite from Artgraf ( has graphite stick, travel brush plus small circular tin with lid of graphite) have all sorts of water color crayons, pencils and sticks! I think I like buying art stuff as much as I like creating art with it!
I saved for a loooong time, mostly using a change jar , yard sale etc for my CY. Maybe if you save you could get a Little Brass Box Co box as they are about 100 USD cheaper, (I think, not sure about that)
I do the same with my cell phones! The people at verision were shocked at bow old my phone was when I traded it in last time, said it was an antique ( at 4 years old! Argh! ) i love antiques and buy what I can afford. I feel a connection with the people who owned them befor me when I use them.
The throw away society makes me really wonder what life will be like in 40 years....
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Tred
03-03-2013, 03:25 AM
Rebecca,
Teresa's suggestion of a change jar to save for a brass palette is the way to go. Just by saving 1 and 2 dollar coins I have manage to aquire 3 Craig Young boxes - one Paintbox and 2 Palette Boxes.
These were purchased when Craig had a waiting list of nine months I ordered the box and by the time Craig was ready to make it I had more than enough saved in my money box.
These days with more people making brass boxes the waiting time has shortened and you may not have so long to save but I'm sure that if you ordered on with the proviso that you would like to take delivery in a specific number of monhs your request would fall on sympathetic ears.
The only thing is that you must be strong and not raid the money box for anything other than the desired box.
The downside is that now I have enough quality paint boxes the 1 and 2 dollar coins are still going in the box but my wife is insisting that it will be diverted for a new TV.
Cheers
Tred

happhoto
03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
That is exactly what I'm doing Tred...I have the $$ saved up now but need to make the order. :clap: I'm thinking I'll go the less expensive route as well and talk to John at the little brass box outfit!

And your change box will purchase the nice new TV...and you can watch all your new painting videos on it!! :thumbsup:

And Rebecca, If the tool is well used, and used well then it is never an "unjustified" expense. It's a tool you'll use for years and years and never wear it out!

carpe palette!!
hap

watercolourfanatic
03-05-2013, 05:29 AM
The Craig Young Paintbox is a copy of the original famous Roberson of - sadly - distant memory. The Little Brass Box Company is also a copy of the Roberson.

We also have IBA-CO doing something similar. See my recent blog piece `Palette Update' which covers these new entrants to the market with links to their websites. The only thing I don't have is feedback from users - as they are so new - so can only go on appearance in photographs.

As for Craig he will do `specials' on request - although obviously at a price. He has made a number to the design of individual artists. One I was very envious of - it appeared to be a cross between the Palette and Paintbox with 24 paint wells.

Peter:)

alexs
03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Caryl.
We haven't heard from you for awhile. Did you take your new brass paint box out for a test drive yet.?
Is there anything you especially like or dislike with the new paint box? Anything you wished you would have changed
Thanks

WthrLady
03-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Oh, sorry! LOL.
The weather went all caflooey last week so I didn't make it out. I plan to go out with Miss Moneypenny this saturday :D SUnny and 75!

Superturtle
03-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Congrats on your new palette! That thing's a beauty! I love the color!

Superturtle
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Ok, off soapbox and back to drawing now, found some water soluable graphite and water soluable carbon from Artgraf....I am addicted now!!!!!!!

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I totally agree with you on this. While I'm of the generation that's grown up with "throw it away and get a new one" mentality, I agree with you that it isn't a good thing, and it carries over into things it shouldn't. It's something I should keep in mind more often. I think that's one part of the appeal with these beautiful paint boxes - it's sort of a call from a time when people made things by hand and built to last.

WthrLady
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
FABULOUS!

Did a quick one hour 11x17 sketch of downtown from the riverfront today. Sketch only because the paper I grabbed is cut up and scratched! Grrrr..... DEEP gouges. I wonder how many others in the pack are ruined?!

I also had to drive home to get my camera. Then again to get my water. GEESH... you'd think I'd never been out before. I got down there and realized I forgot my bandaid pack. I wear a bandaid on my thumb (always have) to help with the pressure of holding a palette. But I did OK without one! :D

Photo to come...once WC starts behaving.

WthrLady
03-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Can you JUST smell the smoke in the air! This was taken at two in the afternoon! HAZY SMELLY!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2013/385681-20130309_154823.jpg

sprintgt
03-10-2013, 05:22 AM
Well done Caryl. You're doing better than me, I've not painted for months now!