PDA

View Full Version : Brush cleaning fluid

artistjan
09-08-2003, 12:21 PM
I have always used soap and water to clean my brushes but thought it might be easier to use the fluid when I ahve my class. The bottle I bought comes with no instructions though.

Is the fluid reusable? What is the best way to use it?

Lady Rando
09-09-2003, 09:05 AM
I have reused it until it just gets yucky. Considering the cost, I wouldn't buy it if it was a one use only deal. :D

artistjan
09-09-2003, 09:26 AM
That was my feeling too! So I guess my insticts were right then. It's good stuff - works very well.

Keith Russell
09-09-2003, 08:35 PM
This is what Iwata recommends for cleaning acrylic paints out of their $500.00 apiece airbrushes.

1 part ammonia

3 parts distilled water

If it's good enough for a $500.00 airbrush, it oughta be good enough for a $15.00 'bristle' brush.

(And, it is...)

K

MKathleen
09-09-2003, 11:53 PM
:)Hi:
Thought I'd get in on the conversation and add my 2 cents.
I use bristle brushes for acrylic paintings I clean them with Oilatum (I may not have spelled it right) bar soap. I keep soaping the bristles until no paint runs from them. Then I run the brush over the bar of soap again and leave the soap on the bristles.
It conditions the bristle and keeps them nice and soft. I don't know if this is a accepted practice, but it works for my brushes and some I've had for a long time. Just a thought...also rubbing alcohol will take acrylic paint out of bristle brushes also--I'd recommend condition the bristles afterwards with a mild soap (Oilatum).
The reason I recommend Oilatum bar soap is when I worked in Dermatology one of the doctor's always told his patients to use Oilatum for dry skin. ;)So I thought well hey if it works on dry skin why not dry bristle brushes...
Best,
Kathy:)

shirleyq
09-11-2003, 11:32 AM
This is my favorite.........$4.99 a bottle..........lasts a long time and cleans the oldest, dried paint you ever saw. Also leaves brushes soft.

GregWood
09-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I agree with the person above. Ammonia is the easiest available cleaning medium. Cheap, Fast, rinses quick, doesn't mess up natural bristles. I cut it with three parts water stored for easy access in a empty laundry detergent bottle.

(they are the BEST for storage of solutions, don't spash, brightly colored, usually square for easy shelf storage...)