PDA

View Full Version : Smoke on the Water WIP

arnieb
02-27-2013, 07:07 AM
I previously did a painting of the avenue that leads to this ornamental lake.
The smoke from the fire the work team had set reminded me of song by Deep Purple (hence the title).
Attempting to create a mood of retreat and reflection in a safe place, with the satisfaction gained thru pruning and working outdoors. Occurred to me that must have walked passed this spot 100 times, but never on the bridge.
Thinking about adding a couple of shadowy figures working?
<O:p</O:pOil on Canvas 24x12
Any comments appreciated. Thanks Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2013/192075-mini-Smoke-02.JPG

crafor
02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Very nice, Arnie. I like it all but the figure and the bridge. I think he's too dark, not muted enough, and his arm positions bother me. For a leasurely stroll, the left one in particular seems to be too far forward--too great a swing. Did you intend the arc of the bridge to be that way? It doesn't look right to me. Something about the incline and length on this end compared to the far end.
Good distance, coloring, reflections, "smokieness", sense of place.
Ella

arnieb
02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Ella - will lighten up the figure, he does look a bit too casual, and yes I'm going to have some fun getting the arcs on the bridge right. The outside arcs are squashed - if worst comes to worst can cover them up with some reed? Arnie

levanty
02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Arnie, I disagree with crafor...the figure is very good - as is the bridge. It has a surreal feel to it. Perhaps the head could be a tad larger in proportion to the body. I like the raised arms and overall posture. The whole right side of this work reminds me of Tim Burton though he uses claymation (I think). This must be very hard to achieve with oil. My only criticism is the reflection of the trees in the water. It seems that either the reflection is too large or the trees need more filling out. Love it!

rossmarie
03-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Nice scene Arnie but I agree with Ella about the figure and the rather strange shape of the bridge. I'd be inclined to crop the RHS to show the main arch only and remove the figure on the bridge altogether. It's right on the edge of the painting where you don't really want your eye to focus.

Your idea of a couple of men working is good I think - probably near the water's edge towards the centre of the painting. How about a small boat drawn up on the bank near them?

The other thing slightly lacking to me is some warmth and brightness. Just a suggestion but I'd like to see some bright sunlit areas on the grass slope and corresponding dark shadow and perhaps some sunlight catching the tops of the bushes.

sorry if I've "gone to town" but am flat on my back with a slipped disc....no sympathy required as it seems to be improving! So I have plenty:wave: :wave:

of time on my hands to make what I hope you will take as constructive criticism

Mike :thumbsup: :wave:

arnieb
03-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Yvie and Mike. I'm just off for a week in the Lakes, so will look again at these when I get back.
Mike, hope you slipped disc heals quickly, and the pain releaf is effective. Arnie

Trumper
03-02-2013, 05:32 AM
sorry if I've "gone to town" but am flat on my back with a slipped disc....no sympathy required as it seems to be improving! So I have plenty:wave: :wave:

:

My sympathies.I still do my back exercises i was given over 10 years ago to keep the thing as mobile as possible.

Back to the painting,i have to agree with cropping the bridge right down to the main arch only.

Debzy
03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Arnie! Another magical scene with your signature twinkle of colour and lighting! I also think the bridge could be cropped but although the figure has a strange surreal quality to it, I like it! Maybe he could be walking a dog, and perhaps lightened slightly so as not to draw the eye to him too much. I love your left side water and reflections, that's my fave part of this scene/painting! Great stuff Arnie as always. Cheers =)) Debs. P.S. Mike, rest up and look after yourself, hope you are up and about soon. X

arnieb
04-17-2013, 07:12 AM
For lots of reasons not done much painting since end Feb. Anyway made an effort to finish this one off. Thanks for all your comments - much appreciated.
Have decided to keep the single figure, and added the bushes on right. Had lots of attempts to get the bridge correct - too many complex curves. Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2013/192075-mini-Smoke-06.JPG

Sye
04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
IThis Turned Out Great. Figure Seems Very Natural. I'm A Fan.

arnieb
04-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Sally - I'm pleased the Turner influence shows thru. All done now will post it in open forum. Arnie

Debzy
04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I love this Arnie! Nicely finished off in my opinion! Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
04-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks Debs. I'm pleased the way this one turned out. Arnie

crafor
04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Arnie, Your painting is lovely. What talent, attention to detail, skill, you exhibet in this piece. Your soluton to the bridge problem not only works, it adds to the "place". The mottling of the foreground water increases the feeling of depth/distance. SMOKE ON THE WATER is a pleasure to look at.
Ella

reverseengineering
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
There is a mysterious story behind this painting, and I like it. Where is he coming from? Why is he crossing the bridge? Why is there not a bridge on the other side?

The writer in my always sees stories in paintings.

arnieb
05-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ella and Glen. I wanted to get 'place', and mystery is a good word for the mood into the sceen, so many thanks.
Aplogies also for not responding sooner - have been mad busy taking part in my first Art Trail - and now thats done getting back into actually doing painting!
Arnie