PDA

View Full Version : maybe a waterfall

Bevahlee
02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Have never painted waterfalls, and I may have to change the cabin but here it is so far. Already moved the cabin once. lol.

Andrewcody
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Good start

Debzy
02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Looking great so far!!! Can't wait to see next stage!!!! =)) cheers Debs.

rossmarie
02-27-2013, 02:09 AM
Looking good. Do you need the cabin? I don't think you do.

Mike:thumbsup:

rossmarie

rossmarie

rossmarie

Bevahlee
02-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Mike,I think you're right. But I would like some feature other than the waterfalls.

Bevahlee
03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
ok, so the cabin is gone, now those rocks and trees had better come to life. and soon!! lol.

Round
03-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Hi Beverly

There's a lovely freshness and immediacy about your painting in this work which is just right for depicting the flow of water and surrounding landscape. Love it! Definitely no cabin required!!

I really like the way you haven't 'laboured' over the background. It's implied but not burdened with details.

The only thing that 'niggles' a bit is the large rock in the foreground. I think it establishes the viewpoint well but maybe it's shape or size needs a little adjustment...or maybe not.

Cheers!!
Round

Bevahlee
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
thanks Round. I have since put the rock on an island of grass. Not much, just to show something to tie it together with the other rocks. It has a lot of lightening to go with lichen and such. Thanks for the input

Trumper
03-02-2013, 05:18 AM
:) I like it and i think the loss of detail and the looser type of painting in the background works for me.

Debzy
03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
It's lovely so far and definitely agree it works better without the cabin! Keep going, you certainly have a lovely free style. Cheers =)) Debs.

crafor
03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I like the greens especially, but all colors are harmonious, soflty pleasant.
It looks like you have three waterways joining into one, which is, to me, unusual, not often seen in paintings, maybe not in life.
The turbulent activity of the one on the left stops suddenly, and the water is calmed. Is that a large rock under the white water? Iake it more pronounced, so it is stopping a lot of water. But even so, the foreground water would be more turbulent with the rush of water from that side. Consider calming that first waterway. The rest of the water will be more appropriate.
Seems to me that the first (brown) drop in the center river should have nore noticeable (white) falls, and some splashes behind that rock way back there.

The third, viewer right, seems to be coming out of nowhere. Consider eliminating it.

I know this is s WIP. I am not experienced in painting water, so take what you can, and leave the rest. I hope this helps.
Ella

Bevahlee
03-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Ella, thanks so much for the input. I am totally painting this from my imagination so I am having to adjust as I go, and I did this before reading your post, but I know I still have to darken the water coming from straight ahead, yeah, that fall to the right isn't right. lol. Lots of things aren't right, but I can get by with some flaws, but not this many. lol.
Thanks again. Any input is well received.

Round
03-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi Beverly
This is such a lively work! I love what you've done with the background and how you're developing the water (the movement you've conveyed and shifts in hue are great).

I preferred it though when you had the water 'flowing' off the canvas in the foreground. It created such immediacy.

It's really interesting watching this work develop!!

Cheers
Round

crafor
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Agreed.
The chunk of land makes it ordinary, everyday.
I think.
Can you remove that land?
Ella

Bevahlee
03-02-2013, 08:17 PM
yeah, and the rock too? lol. Yep, if it's an improvement, I'll paint it out

rossmarie
03-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Very well done Bevahlee. The colours and light you have achieved are super. Try to lighten the top of that large foreground rock. Some dryly applied raw/burnt sienna perhaps and keep some sharply defined hard edges against the water. Think you could have done with some haphazard white areas in the foreground water to indicate a little more movement - but perhaps remember that for next time. Scratching out white areas does not usually work very well - best leave unpainted.
This painting is definitely a :thumbsup:

Mike

Bevahlee
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
thanks Mike. I'll do that. Still have some detail work to do, but I put that grass bank under the water.

Bevahlee
03-04-2013, 05:35 PM
would have edited and posted this last tweaked piece, but it was too late. I'm sure there will be little bits and pieces that I fool with, but I'm calling it done.

rossmarie
03-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Not maybe but CERTAINLY a waterfall. Well done! Think you were right to call it a day.

Mike :clap:

Bevahlee
03-05-2013, 08:19 AM
thanks, Mike. It was fun making my way thru this, but some of the magic is always in the first underpainting, isn't it.

levanty
03-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Bev, I love your use of colour especially the emerald green. This reminds me of Lake Louise in Alberta. Your use of the gray in the background is smart. It creats a misty feel. The trees and bushes are realistic enough as are the rocks. I don't see a lot of flaws, just a few, lol 1. I'm not sure about the direction of the water in some places. Splashes coming from the left don't look natural. 2. Is the amber mass a rock in progress? 3. Just to the right of that I see a green tree stump that may need tweaking. Just my opinion though. Lovely so far and look forward to seeing it develop.

Dana Design
03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Johannes has been giving instruction on waterfalls here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309688

Hope it might be of some help! good stuff~!

Bevahlee
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
thanks, Dana. I'll see if I can sign up for that. Levanty, The water coming in on the left is from a swirl of water pushing around behind the clump of shrubs...I should have shown that and made the clump thinner ...I've seen it do it, but this was all from either memory or imagination. I'll fix that stump, but the amber colored rock was for color, but I'm imagining it to be sandstone. So I guess it's all artistic license. I'll work on waterfalls in the next one.