PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Bay Isle of Wight

rossmarie
02-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi folks - this is a watercolour looking east along the spine of the Isle of Wight and down into Freshwater Bay. We are walking down Tennyson's Down - named after the Victorian poet, Alfred Lord Tennyson, who had a house close by. The walk along these chalk cliffs is in my "top ten" walks anywhere in the UK.

14x11in on 140 lb Bockingford paper.

Crits welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2013/1111482-new21180.JPG

Round
02-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi Mike
It's a delightful scene. I particularly like the way you have painted the foreground sweeping down to the figures. And the movement and 'attitude' you've conveyed in those figures is absolutely convincing to me. I think they're excellent!

I was wondering whether the tallest brown hill could be further resolved; it seems a bit underpainted compared to the others, unless of course it is a sand hill (I'm not familiar with the area so feel free to ignore this).

Gorgeous sky!

Cheers
Round

arnieb
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Beautiful sceen. Well done.:thumbsup: Arnie

moebean
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Lovely...agree with Round, very solid ground and figues...like the little fence on the right. ~moe

rossmarie
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Mike
It's a delightful scene. I particularly like the way you have painted the foreground sweeping down to the figures. And the movement and 'attitude' you've conveyed in those figures is absolutely convincing to me. I think they're excellent!

I was wondering whether the tallest brown hill could be further resolved; it seems a bit underpainted compared to the others, unless of course it is a sand hill (I'm not familiar with the area so feel free to ignore this).

Gorgeous sky!

Cheers
Round
Hi Round. Glad you like it. Yes, Afton Down could have been slightly greener. My reference photo was taken in very dry (and rare!) summer and the island was parched. I thought about over painting with a greener wash but decided not to fiddle!

Mike.::wave:

rossmarie
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Arnie and Moebean - thank you. Glad you like it.

Mike :wave: