PDA

View Full Version : Holbein is making watercolor pan paints!

Saint Ragdoll
02-23-2013, 12:01 AM
I just picked up the April copy of Watercolor Artist magazine and read that Holbein will be making their watercolor paints in pans now.The advert says the pans will each contain a magnetic strip so to secure the pan into any metal paintbox. It doesnt say if the pans will be half or whole pans.
In addition there is a sample offer, for 19.95 you can get 3 pans, carmine, lemon yellow and ultramarine blue.you can also get 6 tube paints for 24.00 crimson lake, vermillion hue, permanent yellow deep, virdian hue,cobalt blue hue and burnt sienna.
All offers will include printed color chart.
The last offer is for 24.95 you can get the 3 pan paints plus a package of 6 watercolor post cards.

For more info go to
www.holbeinartistmaterials.com
Thought I would let folks know about this so they could pick up the magazine and take advantage of this offer.
There is also some info about the pan sets offered by American Journey/Cheap Joe as well as some sets of colors offered. Y American Journey, the All Terrain Set, The earth Oxide set, The precious jewels set, the glamour pinks set, and the quinacridone set.

Some of these sets look so good, I am soooo tempted.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

JPQ
02-23-2013, 03:37 AM
if they are artist quality price is cheap exepct if they are half pans. i dont like half pans.

CharM
02-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi Teresa... like you, I'm tempted... but I cannot find any information on Holbein's website... I'll have to pick up a copy of Watercolor Magazine...

ReggieS
02-23-2013, 07:24 PM
They should be out by now as the president of Holbein's son came to our Spring Meeting of the VWS and said they would be out by the end of 2012.

Reggie

D'Lady
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
This is the only thing I've seen: http://www.holbeinhk.com/catalog/product.php?id_product=157

Saint Ragdoll
02-24-2013, 12:39 AM
I have some Holbein tube paints but dont use them regularly at all so I am not qualified to judge the quality of the pan paints, but I may getvthe samples. I am a sucker for buying new paint.
The photo in the magazine advert shows half pans. I guess we will have to wait and see if Holbein comes out with half or whole pans. I have been using WN half pans (whole pans are expensive and hard to find in the US) and squeezing DS paint into empty half pans but I am beginning tomreally dislike the small fiddlyness (is that a word!?) of the half pans and as soon as the half pans are used will go to whole pans.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

D'Lady
02-24-2013, 12:56 AM
whole pans are expensive and hard to find in the US

Cheap Joe's has empty ones on sale right now.

Saint Ragdoll
02-24-2013, 11:43 PM
D'Lady,
I ment whole pans of paints. I have some empty whole pans but have been using half pans, mostly so I can get more colors in my palette! I cant think of anywhere to buy whole pan paints in the US....

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

HarvestMoon
01-15-2015, 02:16 PM
These are out now, Dick Blicks has them.....anybody try them? I love their tube paints, they are one of my favorites!

SAS Designs
01-16-2015, 02:20 PM
My favorite is Daniel Smith, and I make "pans" out of their tubes.
Does anyone know, if the wc which comes in a pan to begin with, is different from the ones we make from WC in tubes?

I have several of the metsl palettes from Jerry's ( or maybe it was Cheap Joes, I've had them for so long) which take both 1/2 pans and whole pans.
suzy

pumkin54
01-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Their website says half pans. "Paints offered in two formats: full range in tubes and limited range in half pans." Half pans are a no go for me. Really don't like them and only have a few vestiges left on my palette. That tube sampler set sounds good though!