PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 8-14 September

E-J
09-08-2003, 04:01 AM
And so another weekly sketch thread begins!

For the benefit of newbies who have never joined the thread before and don't have a clue what it's about, the objective of this thread is to pick up your pastels and paint as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, eg. 25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, or one hour. Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off, STOP, and share your efforts with us here!

The idea behind the set times is to get the essentials down on paper without fretting about detail. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life but you should feel free to use a reference photo if you prefer.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate in this thread, whether you're new to pastels, a seasoned professional or somewhere in-between. No critiques will be given unless you ask for them, so this is a safe place in which to develop your pastel skills, whatever your level.

Last week's thread was another great success, featuring husbands, ketchup bottles and sunsets amongst other subjects ... here's the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129354

Pastel is the perfect medium for sketching! Oldies and newbies, please do join in :)

E-J
09-08-2003, 04:05 AM
This is one hour, mostly Conté sticks on Tints paper. On my laptop this image looks fine, but on the desktop PC it's so dark I can barely see it ... so do let me know if it needs adjusting ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2003/13865-iron2.jpg

angeline
09-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Ej this looks dark to me too hun.

E-J
09-08-2003, 07:57 AM
OK ... on lunch break now but got no image editing software on my work PC, so it will have to wait till this evening!

E-J
09-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Any better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2003/13865-iron_2.jpg

E-J
09-08-2003, 01:19 PM
OK, so the new image overwrote my previous one too, because it had the same name ... I tried renaming my new image and re-uploading it ... and it overwrote the first one again!! :confused: Computers really don't like me lately ... think I'm cursed :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone's sketches!

bin28
09-08-2003, 02:27 PM
luv the color composition E-J :clap: :clap:

sundiver
09-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Another iron, E-J! Somebody hand me a paper bag; I think I'm going to hyperventilate. :D
It looks good in neon pink, which is what my BERSERK monitor now shows everything to be. And to think I complained when it was all dull green!
Here's a plein aire, o.p.s, 8x10, took about an hour. It also looks neon pink and neon blue to me. The sand actually is red, but more of a brick red. I may cross-post it in the plein aire forum.

Craig Houghton
09-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Sundiver - that's fantastic. great use of depth and detail. the colors are wonderful -- really great plein aire. it's really tough to work so quickly.

E-J - between the unfamiliarity of the object and that dang cord, that's a very ambitions (and unusual) subject. Well done :)

Here's a my own plein aire soft pastel on 5x7 pumice primed blue matboard that I cross-posted in the en plein aire forum. not counting the hike and the set-up, this took about an hour (according to the internal log on my camera -- the progress shots get auto-time-stamped).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2003/21273-sleeping_giant.JPG

-Craig

Oh, and if anyone wants to see how I set-up my plein aire sketch box thingy, here's a link http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1527351#post1527351

E-J
09-09-2003, 02:48 AM
Wendy, actually there IS quite a lot of pink in my iron sketch as I did it under electric light, which can lead to some quirky colour choices! This is another lovely landscape from you ... you are as skilled doing them en plein air as you are from photos.

Craig ... this is a BEAUTIFUL plein air ... it's taken my breath away! I'm astounded by the way you've got such a feeling of recession with those blues ... and look at those gorgeous pinks on the underside of your CLOUDS :) This is one of the most gorgeous little pastels I've ever seen. Seriously, I'm insanely jealous of your abilities and would immediately jump off the nearest mountain if Cambridge wasn't the flattest place on earth :D

E-J
09-09-2003, 01:12 PM
This is a real quickie, 25 mins, Conté sticks, 6x9" from my computer screen. Brits may recognise it (if I'm lucky) as Battersea Power Station :) Trying a rough, sketchy approach with no drawing, just blocking in shapes with the side of the pastels ... practising for plein air ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/13865-battersea_25.jpg

Madder
09-09-2003, 02:56 PM
All of these are jewels! Absolutely lovely!
WELL DONE. :clap:

Can't contribute anything becuse of flu :(

vrashton
09-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Wow, everyone is painting wonderful pictures. Hopefully I'll get around to something soon. Madder hope you feel better soon.
Val

E-J
09-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Another sketch straight from my screen ... 35 mins, mixed pastels, 6x9" in my little Ingres pad. I'm finding this a great way to get some quick work in!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/13865-2cows.JPG

blissfullyunaware
09-09-2003, 05:44 PM
OK OK... I took the bait but I think my time was about an hour... (hard to stop....LOL). This is fun. It was on a 11 x 14 sheet but I only used 1/2, pulled it out of a charcoal pad (got to start paying attention to what I'm doing), soft pastels - mix Rembrandt & Sennlier. This is "carnival glass" tumbler but it does not have much color other than marigold and the flower. Anyway - TA DA!

Sharon

PS.... Was so excited, I posted before looking at all the submissions since I was last here... very impressive forgive me, I remember the pictures but not who did them - can't see them in this edit mode

The Iron = Love the colors, I'll never look at iron in the same way
The landscapes : Both - don't know how you completed such works in such short periods! Amazing
The Power plant (I think that's what it was) Very detailed and structures - can't imagine doing them quickly, excellent job
The cattle - I can hear them Moo very nice
* hope I got them all * forgive me - trying to hurry hubby is mad dinner is late and I'm playing on the computer and drawing - what am I thinking? Take Care ALL

E-J
09-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Sharon: good on you for joining in! You did a super job on your tumbler. I am happy and relieved when other people post their sketches here ... makes me feel like less of a sad, lonely loser for posting three of my own :D

Start sketching and posting to this thread on a daily basis and your husband will soon come to understand that we pastellists have priorities ... who knows, he may even take to cooking the dinner himself :D :) ;)

flower
09-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say hi and i think all your pics are great, don´t know about the iron, when i look at it reminds me of all the ironing i have to do after being so lazy over summer, oh well i have to catch up, but really the sketch was great E-J, just kidding, no not really i have a mountain of ironing to do LOL, glad the daily sketch is back, hope i can join in, nice to see someone from germany too bin 28? i live in germany where are you? Craig, love your clouds and landscape and all the other pics.......great

edencompton
09-09-2003, 06:52 PM
I just wrote a reply with comments on everyone's sketches and lost it! I can't believe I'm still having problems with the uploader. Anyway, everyone has been very busy and it's still so early in the week! E-J - you've been the busiest -- I particularly like the landscape. Sundiver - I love those colors - where are you on the East Coast? Sharon - Nice Tumbler! Craig - I already commented on yours in the plein aire forum (I still like it!)
I'm still trying to paint every day but I've taken a couple of days off to complete a portrait commission. It's hard to go out and do my plein aire exercises, even if it's fun, after 8 hours of steady work. Anway, here are a couple of sketches from yesterday. Tree studies on Canson, about 30 minutes each:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/7443-TreeStudy.jpg

blissfullyunaware
09-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Eden - wonderful plein air, the trees are absolutely vibrant - I love plein air myself, just am no good at it- LOL. I'm in Maryland a little west of Baltimore.

E-J Thanks! He did end up starting dinner, he made the salads! He's a good guy. Just was noticing your "tinyhead", does it say Emma - Jane? What does it represent? (Just curious, happens to be my sisters names and I think I may be just reading into it... long day - LOL).

Take care and good evening to all!

Craig Houghton
09-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Craig ... this is a BEAUTIFUL plein air ... it's taken my breath away! I'm astounded by the way you've got such a feeling of recession with those blues ... and look at those gorgeous pinks on the underside of your CLOUDS :) This is one of the most gorgeous little pastels I've ever seen. Seriously, I'm insanely jealous of your abilities and would immediately jump off the nearest mountain if Cambridge wasn't the flattest place on earth :D

E-J - I can't tell you how thrilled I was to read this -- many thanks. I've been down about my plein aire attempts but this bit of encouragement is really moving. Thank you! You mentioned in plein aire forum that you were timid about working outdoors -- with those incredible from-the-monitor sketches you've been doing you're practically out of doors already. The factory is fantastic and the bovines look so good I wanna scratch the white one's fuzzy little ears for him. Many thanks!

blissfullyunaware - you've really captured the translucency of the glass -- very nice

edencompton - those are fantastic trees. there's something that is fundamentally 'feel good' about them.

and, thank you e-j (again), edencompton, flower, madder, vrashton, and blissfullyunaware for the comments.

great stuff everyone,
Craig

E-J
09-10-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by blissfullyunaware
E-J ... Just was noticing your "tinyhead", does it say Emma - Jane? What does it represent?

Yes, it says Emma-Jane ... That's me name :)

nougat
09-10-2003, 03:04 AM
Wonderful pastels all!!!

Can't contribute cos I'm having a beastly bout of migraine/cluster headaches and I just can't concentrate.....even the pc is annoying me....:(

nadine

E-J
09-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton
E-J - I can't tell you how thrilled I was to read this -- many thanks. I've been down about my plein aire attempts but this bit of encouragement is really moving. Thank you!

Craig ... superlatives tend to fly around in here, but I needed new ones for your little picture, it delighted me so much. You seem to approach all of your painting in a spirit of experimentation and a serious desire to learn and I really admire that. Didn't intend to turn this thread into a Craig ego massage :D It's true, though!

Eden ... your trees leap off the page! The reddish colour of the paper works so well. It looks as if you've worked very directly to capture these trees with a variety of marks over just a rough sketch. Please share any plein air tips you have :)

ginatec
09-10-2003, 12:03 PM
I have enjoyed looking through the weekly thread. There are some great paintings.
Well I better dust off my pastel box now the weekly thread is back.

Gina

E-J
09-10-2003, 01:58 PM
hey Gina, pastels are your friends ... do get reacquainted with them and share a sketch or two with us :)

As for the sketch thread being back, it never went away!! Incredibly, this is our 29th consecutive week.

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-10-2003, 03:35 PM
You all are doing sooooo great! I can't believe these are quickies! I wish I could join in during the day since it's been pretty quiet at the office, but alas I cannot. I'll have to find some free time in the evening and see what I can come up with!

What fun!

I especially liked the iron. I have to admit that when I'm really stressed out and need to shut out the world, I've been known to pull out the sketchbook and lose myself in drawing something. I have a sketch of some of my keys from the pc keyboard, some of the dashboard of the car, etc. If anyone looked in my sketchbook they just wouldn't understand, but I bet you all would!

E-J
09-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Here's tonight's 45-min sketch, about 7".5" on Ingres paper from a photo. I did this for Craig's clouds project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/513/completed/13865/cloud_study1.JPG

edencompton
09-10-2003, 06:35 PM
E-J -- fabulous clouds! Your landscapes are really great. Thanks for the comments on my sketches. I'm pretty new to both pastels and plein aire, so can't offer much on tips. Am still in huge learning curve! You are right, though, in that I first block in the shapes and then work directly on the sketch with soft pastel. Have nothing to show today, though. :( (I had a portrait commission that wouldn't end).

sundiver
09-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Emma-Jane, you are sssssmokin' this week!
Craig, those are gorgeous clouds. BTW I intend to contribute to thet cloud project- took a bunch of cloudscapes last weekend for that purpose. Just have to find the time!
Originally posted by edencompton
. Sundiver - I love those colors - where are you on the East Coast? Thanks, eden! I enjoyed your posts as well.I'm in New Brunswick, 1 1/2 hours north of the Maine border.
And nice one from Sharon, and....did I forget anyone?
29 weeks! We rock!
Anyone else participating in the International Plein Air event this weekend? I'm doing it alone, but I'm doing it! (I hope! :) ) I even registered for it.

ginatec
09-12-2003, 02:03 PM
This is the first I have done in a while...I forgot how much I enjoy using pastels.
Gina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/14534-bottle.JPG

Deborah Secor
09-12-2003, 07:31 PM
I finally found time to shoot some photos of paintings done in my class yesterday. Thought I'd share all of these quickies! Most were done in well under a half hour. It was a beautiful almost-fall day, somewhat cool, but the sun was bright and the air so clear after rain the night before.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/23609-Gallegos1SECOR.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/23609-Gallegos2SECOR.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/23609-Gallegos3SECOR.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/23609-Gallegos4SECOR.jpg

Comments most welcome. I lost all the digitals I shot that day (one stupid keystroke!) so I don't know how much more I'll do on any of these...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Dee: I can say nothing more than wonderful, wonderful, wonderful - I love them all. You are brilliant!

ginatec
09-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by dee_artist
I finally found time to shoot some photos of paintings done in my class yesterday. Thought I'd share all of these quickies! Most were done in well under a half hour. It was a beautiful almost-fall day, somewhat cool, but the sun was bright and the air so clear after rain the night before.
Comments most welcome. I lost all the digitals I shot that day (one stupid keystroke!) so I don't know how much more I'll do on any of these...

Deborah

Hi Dee-artist I like your work very much! What size are your paintings?

Gina

Anodyne
09-14-2003, 09:23 AM

flower
09-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone,

What lovely paintings this week, they all look so good, thought i´d get my pastels out as its warm and i can work in the fresh air, hope you like them, they took me about 1 and a half hours for both of them, its really fun practicing skies and clouds, here goes

flower
09-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Sorry, i got the wrong pic out had to cancel it, here are the 2 new ones

flower
09-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Sorry again only one came up heres clouds

Deborah Secor
09-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your kind words, kyle and Gina.

Gina, all of them are about 12x20" in size--the paper is measured in centimeters and I'm so stupid about metric! This is the smaller of the La Carte paper, cut roughly in half. I admire your painting of the bottle. I'm so hopeless when it comes to anything geometric. Very well done...nice reflection and believably volumetric.

Deborah Secor
09-14-2003, 01:03 PM
I like your skyline painting Patricia. The sense of distance is nice. The cloud painting is quite lovely, too--very light and airy! Are these small?

flower
09-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi Dee,

thanks for your comments, these pics are 55 cm by 29.5 cm, sorry i don´t know in inches anymore LOL. i think i´ll have to buy a ruler in inches when i visit england again, the pic was too big for the scanner,

E-J
09-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Due to my isp screwing around I haven't been able to post for three days ... I know that Dawn is having the same problem ... it's infuriating!!! I've just got time to post a big :clap: to those of you who have shared your sketches this weekend: Deborah, Gina, Patricia ... great stuff. Now onward to the next weekly thread! :)

E-J
09-15-2003, 08:20 AM
OK, so it's me again. Patricia, I've just realised that I hadn't seen these pictures of yours ... I only saw the previous attachment that you've overwritten. Your cloud study is lovely! Deborah's description of it as light and airy is spot-on.

flower
09-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi E-J,

just want to thank you for commenting on my pics and everyone else who commented, it was really upbuilding to hear what you think, thanks again

Dark_Shades
09-16-2003, 07:06 PM
lol, look at all these show offs hee hee with the landscapes..... am green with envy..... oh, yeah, I dont do green :D

........ Im sure I saw one of Wendy's with a lovely little white building..... cant see it now??? ....... love your style Dee, colours so rich and chunky...... flower..... Im really impressed with you buildingscape.... and love that foreground colour..... that art teacher is really doing you good...... Gina, love your bottle...... cant quite work out your tipple lol

EJ...... Im back :) ...... thanks to your hubbie..... I gave him a smackeroonie in another thread Im so pleased lol

flower
09-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Hi dawn,

Thank you, yes i´, sure my new teacher is showing me the right way, hope so cos its costing me a load of money lol, look at my new pic in daily sketch LOL