La_
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
a relates kid, current wip, she needs to end up looking around 4 or 5
title to be: paper bag princess

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2013/84648-wip_mik.jpg

la

AllisonR
02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Lips and nose pressing against plastic - GREAT! My daughter (6) does that fake-mad-smiling grr grin, love it.
Crits - her forehead is way too red. blood is in her cheeks and nose, not forehead. Also that inverted v shape is unnatural looking.
She would look more youth full if she did not have black lines around both eyes. She also looks like she has smeared mascara under and to the side of her right eye.

she1122
02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
In real life are her eyebrows so hard edged and thin ? Be very careful about any lines , even the nasal to the mouth . Any line adds age . Hard edges add age . I love your drawing and the facial expression ! It makes me smile !! I love painting children !

La_
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
thanks ladies, yes, she still looks a bit harsh and splotchy from getting all her structural parts in the right spots, viewers left eye was half an eye low so it's extra defined from scootching, i'll soften her up a bunch with the next coat.
as per the 'paper bag princess' story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paper_Bag_Princess) she will end up being a little grubby ... hopefully sunday.

la

maryinasia
02-24-2013, 02:36 AM
love her expression and looking forward to seeing the update

Coen1
02-27-2013, 06:30 AM
I always like your approach of painting: trying (and succeeding) in telling something.
Curious where this is going to lead to.
The head seems to be loose from the body right now, maybe you were already aware of that.

arnieb
02-27-2013, 08:02 AM
She really grabs your attention. Great expression.:thumbsup: Arnie

helmuc
03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
excellent splash of semi-open emotions.

Good job,
Helmuts

La_
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
thanks guys!
progress, but i'm still werking to get the mischief in (viewers) right eye!
and i'll warm her up color wise once i'm thrilled with the shapes - millimeters, chasing them everywhere! :clear::cat:
pointers welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2013/84648-mik_compare_2.jpg

la

crafor
03-11-2013, 06:25 PM
This is terrific! I'll be watching this with great interest and hopes to learn. Would you mind telling your colors? I'll try to include mine when (if) I post. I had to laugh, and I do empathize with your "eye was half an eye low" because that's me, too. Either too low, or to far away, or both. :rolleyes:
I have started on a 3.5 year old, but opposite in every respect. My little girl is looking up, head, chin, eyes, all UP, and very pale.
Ella

La_
03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
thanks ella, kids are a fun challenge ... colors were/are yellow ochre, cad yellow pale, cad red deep, sap green, ultramarine blue and too much white (titanium).

la

Avena Cash
03-15-2013, 10:40 PM
A nice bold composition, however a few inaccuracies are throwing off the likeness and facial expression and they do jump out at me.

Most notably the nose is significantly longer than in the reference and both nose and mouth seem to be out of alignment to the left of the center. I'd study how to shape the roundness of the cheeks, too. Examine the forms in the photo to see which details are adding up to convince us of that cheekiness to see what touches you can use to capture it.

La_
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
pfft
i like the first posted image the best
sigh
portraits are so hard!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2013/84648-mik_final.jpg

i've file named it mikfinal, but really she's just grounded, facing the wall until i'm ready to face her again or her family buys her and takes her away.

la

maryinasia
03-20-2013, 11:44 PM
delightful!

I think adding more of a crinkle in her nose, more of a sparkle in her eye (deepening the rest of the eye for contrast), and a slight jutting of the chin might add to the mischievous-ness.

It's probably too early to say this, but looking forward to her eyes becoming more pearly and less flat white.

amanda
03-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Lovely! I agree about the redness on the forehead. I was going to ask about the eyebrows but I can see that you have softened them. Beautiful

La_
03-26-2013, 02:46 AM
you guys are so awesome
the extra sets of eyes help - thank you!

will post changes when i get time to make them

la

hkprk
04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
I'm not sure if your objective is to get it accurate to the photo or not but if you are , I think you need to make the whole face darker, including the whites of the eyes, so those highlights of pupils can spark more like the photo. Also would be able to hit that nice highlight on top of the nose too. But if you are not concerned about accuracy, it's good as is.

AprilJoy
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
La, beside her left nostril the groove from her nose down doesn't appear to have a bend in the ref, it goes outward in a triangle shape.
Sighting the very slight differences from the ref to your painting: her right eyebrow is closer to her eyelid in pic, her left eyebrow is thicker towards the bridge of her nose.
La, take a straight edge & look from the corners of her eyes down.
Portraits are difficult, but you're very close, keep going, you got this!