PDA

View Full Version : old barn

drc8
02-21-2013, 07:22 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2013/1174453-100_0410_800x450.jpg this is a 16x20 acrylic on board.i am new here and really pleased that i round this sight i have painted for many years but never had anyone critique a painting for me.I am looking to get better so let me have it.

AllisonR
02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
charing scene. I like the ruined barn. I also like your composition. I think the highlights on the barn are a nice effect but too hard - too sharp/bright. The mane on the horse looks like rigid hooks, and not sure if he is chasing another horse or a dog or... Your trees are nicely placed but confuse me. You have used all the same hue of green on the front trees, then all the same hue of purple on the back trees, which makes them all look as if it is really a cut out of trees on a white wall.

HeatherDawn
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
I think they look like deer!

I think this looks very whimsical. I like it!

Only thing I see is the left side of the barn. It's confusing my eyes a bit. I think seeing the grass through the doorway makes the barn look flat.

La_
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
lovely old barn
nice atmosphere
great work with greens

the deer, imho, are unnecessary and distracting, disturbing the peace.
but if you choose to keep them, adjustments would help - his back legs would likely be tucked under him (he's not a horse) and she is running like a dog, not a deer (needs more 'leap' and less 'gallop')

welcome to WC! glad you found us

la

Bevahlee
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm with La. Barn is enough for a star of the show. The deer and dog make it a cutesy wootsey little awww shucks kind of painting. I'd much rather see the old barn and add any stories I can conjure up. I would like to see more change of color in the grass and trees. Barn is well done but perhaps a little to sharply defined.

drc8
02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks, you have all pointed out things i didn't see or think about.But after reading what you all see in my painting it's amazing how spot on you all are.I think i'm going to learn a lot on this sight and hopefuly my painting will be the better for it.Thanks again

Andrewcody
02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Drc, I think you have a good eye for little details and the barn is really wonderful.
I agree with the others that the animals do not add to the over all composition.
I would use your skill for detail by adding some finer details to the foreground grasses etc, and tone down the background trees a little to add more depth. Some detail and highlight on the clouds, you have bright light on the barn shining through so some in the distance would help to lift the over all work.
Regards
Andrew

drc8
02-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks Andrew more good points to ponder i wish i had found this sight sooner.

she1122
02-21-2013, 11:03 PM
This is indeed a wonderful site and I think a person can learn more here than in many classes ! I am approaching the barn and deer a little differently. You gave the barn such detail and sharp values that it becomes a visual focus and the presumed center of attention. To me, running animals by the nature of movement , draw the eye and want to be the center of attention , even though you did not give them the same detail as the barn. Thus I as the viewer am feeling pulled between the two ( barn and deer ). I totally agree that the deer should be deleted ! LOL I don't " get " what the white wall is behind the trees . The trees throw shadows on it but I find it confusing .

drc8
02-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Thank you she1122 for taking time to critique my work i plan to start a new painting today and use what i have learned the last few days.Thanks to you all i can't what to start something new