02-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Morning all

Blue ears territory here!

Off to Swaledale in an hour for car 100K service, a pricey one

Back later

geoff

Lulu
02-20-2013, 02:14 AM
Evening Geoff, no competition from me, I think we can make you the official DW starter! ............just don't get too comfortable in the job.......lol

Have just finished dinner. Nice evening here, just about to finish cleaning the oven then make another birthday cake - we started eating the other:lol:
Out for the day tomorrow, will take a picnic and wander wherever...

Yorky
02-20-2013, 03:04 AM
ust about to finish cleaning the oven then make another birthday cake - we started eating the other
:lol: :lol: :lol: Watch that figure :)

Good morning all from a cold, dull West Lancashire. Just hovering above freezing.

Exciting news from Caryl yesterday :clap:

Hope the service finds nothing expensive Geoff.

We have booked a short holiday 1st May with 4 friends to Ilfracombe (http://www.visitilfracombe.co.uk/) in North Devon. An interesting place to paint an photograph. Was there around 40 years ago with the kids. Main street between the hotel and harbour is fairly flat as it needs to be, we're taking the wheelchair. Coach trips to Exmoor, Dunster (http://www.visitdunster.co.uk/visitdunster-Exmoor-National_Park-Dunster_Castle.html), Bideford and Clovelly (http://www.clovelly.co.uk/) are included, all great painting locations. I hope we get fine weather.

Doug

Lulu
02-20-2013, 03:13 AM
haha :D

Your trip brings back lovely memories of our visit to England, and to Devon, Doug. We stayed at Bideford, and Clovelly was the most fascinating little village, just loved it. I have some wonderful photos too.

doppler
02-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Hi all, morning or afternoon or whatever.

Day over here. Work short and OK. Early escape. made the most of it by thinking I'd mow the lawns. Then the rain showers started luckily. I can read a message :lol: Read a book instead. Housework was lukewarm in its beckonings. It shall HAVE to try harder. I play hard to get in this case :lol:

The sinks are clean and the kitchen is tidy so it look OK without glasses or the slanting morning sun coming in and highlighting the dust.:eek: Guess what I will be doing this weekend?

Painting!!!! :evil:

Roger suggested atonement. NOT likely.

BBL ?

cloudchaser
02-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Good morning all,
Have a great day everyone whatever you have planned.

Regards
Tony

shipbroker
02-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Morning again.......

Lulu, I don't want the job thanks........I want to awaken at 0800 and see at least 5 postings in front.........in my dreams!

Doug, It will be pricey anyway as this is the one where everything gets changed......oil,brake fluids,filters etc.etc........so if nothing has fallen off it should be OK............MOT due in May.

Weather dull and colder than it looks.....later this morning taking Eileen to her dentists in Lower Wensleydale thereafter some shopping either on the Garrison at Catterick or into Richmond for fish & chip lunch, pensioners special price/size.

geoff

Island Nipper
02-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Good morning everyone, grey sky, force 6 easterly rough sea here.

I have been trying to get a photo of my painting, but is always out of focus, I think one handed photography is the problem causing camera shake. When I have a caller I must ask them to put my camera on a tripod.

We have decided to buy a WAV wheelchair assisted vehicle, the choice seems to be a Renault Kango, Citroen Berlingo, or Peugeot partner. Nurse Beryl wants a diesel as that is what she has always driven, she says petrol cars cut out when you are not looking and need lots of gear changing to go up hills! We will have to buy a used car as they are pricey.

I. Have a major clear up to my desk before another painting is attempted, while I have been in my bed the desk has been used as a dump.

I have heard from the hospice, the doctor there is a bit of an expert on MND..ALS. So that is good.

Henry, your brother is a fine photographer, what a talented family.

Just loaded an update to flash player and I find I now have Google Crome which I don't want so must now try and loose it, DOH.

Peace and light to everyone. Hope all who are ailing feel better soon.:wave:

Flattwo
02-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Hi to all

Overcast and cold here today

Waiting for another brother who lives in Newcastle to arrive for a quick visit

Gail, yes it is a missing hormone, before I get the injections I have to get a prostate test (I thought this for old people) and still have to go for an MRI in 2 to 3 weeks on the Pituitary Gland plus a glucose tolerance test

Geoff, cars are a necessary pain in the butt, hope everything goes ok!
Our local chippy are doing a Haddock fish supper on special offer for £2.99 good deal as long as it is not horse meat :lol:

Doug, when living in London we used to travel to the when country virtually every month, love it there, when things settle here I am hoping for a holiday to St Ives. Please tell Ruth that the aran sweater is doing a great job!

Nipper, thanks, good luck with your search for a suitable vehicle :thumbsup:

Henry

shipbroker
02-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Nipper...a neighbour had a Berlingo which he reckoned was best car he ever had.

Henry...thats a bargain for Haddock........cheaper thans fried Mars Bars as well.

geoff

Philippe56
02-20-2013, 06:27 AM
:rolleyes: Time for lunch and I feel greedy

Hi all by the way :D :p

Flattwo
02-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Geoff, I'm not a fan of deep fried Mars bars, I hear you can get a deep fried Oh Henry candy bar in batter in the US, more popular than you would first believe
My favourite was deep fried Pizza, lovely jubbly!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/3457-Oh_Henry_bar1.jpg

Henry

Uschi
02-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!

Great big snowflakes cpming down right now.

Both DIL and son have to be somewhere early this morning so grands are coming here shortly and I weill then take them to school.

Table tennis after that, another morning of trainer wearing us out:D Taking Ava swimming in the late afternoon and then supper at their place.

Nipper Geoff, I guess they still don't believe in automatic transmission in England. I hope you find a good car.

Doug, sounds like a nice vacation you have planned and going with friends is even nicer.

Henry, colesterol on top of colesterol:rolleyes:

Kids are here, got to go.

:wave: Uschi

Strawberry Wine
02-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Good Day Washers! - 7C and a bit blowy and snowy but only 10 more days to the end of February. :thumbsup:

Uschi, sounds like you are having a very physical day ! No wonder you sleep so well at night.

Henry, hoping the upcoming tests just confirm the pituitary imbalance.

Nipper, good luck on finding the perfect vehicle for you and Nurse Beryl. I find the best way to take a photo of a painting is to lay it on the floor in a bright indirect light and hold the camera directly over it. I think you will need some assistance with that method though.

Your upcoming vacation sounds lovely Doug.

Need to go into town today for a few things so will go in with Dan. I will need to have an early nap. It will be another couple of weeks before I will be able to drive.

:wave: to all I have missed

Cheers,

Gail

olliewood0702
02-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Sun is shining....but it's only 17F! BRR... still windy too.

Michigan State University lost the BBall game last night by a couple of baskets. They played their hearts out and it was a very exciting game. We got home after 10:15pm and by the time we got in bed it was close to 11pm. Up at 6am. So a bit tired this morning.

Nothing exciting happening today at least that I know of.:lol:

Waving to all who are yet to come and sending hugs to all in need.

:grouphug: :wave:

CharM
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Good morning from a very chilly SW of Ontario. Yesterday's sunshine and warmth melted away most of our snow. What's left is now frozen solid in slippery, pebbly bits.

Teaching Monday and Tuesday seems to have taken up all my time and left me with little energy for much else. I'm actually glad that I don't have a Class today and my next Workshop doesn't begin for another few weeks.

I nervously treated my cherry painting with fixative. Because there's so much saturated red in the English cherries, I was worried how that colour would react to the SpectraFix. After several very fine coats, I can varnish the painting today. Then, I'll run it to the Gallery in town.

I have a small 8x10 of Em's marbles on the go.

That's it. Nothing exciting happening here. In fact, the rhythm of our lives pretty much follows the same pattern day to day...

Henry, I sure hope the Dr. can get your medical problems sorted out!

:wave: All... breakfast is on the table (Ted made it for us)... Have a great day!

painterbear
02-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 9:00 a.m. here in chilly, frigid Oakwood. Temps below 0°F with wind chill factored in. Brrrrrrrrrrr! Little snow flakes drifting down desultorily every once in a while.

Larry and I will go grocery shopping this morning. Need to pick up some rolls for our hot dog dinner tonight. Guess we need to pick up the hot dogs too. We like the Boar's Head kind and we get them at DLM.

We'll swing by the Library too and pick up three books they've gotten in for me. I request them a month ahead of when they are being released, so get them before the request line builds up too much. ;)

Started painting my orchid picture and didn't like how dark I had made the background. So I put it in the kitchen sink and turned the sprayer on it full force. Lifted enough of the surface paint so it looks much better. Not sure how the rest of the paper is going to take the paint now since a lot of the sizing is gone, I'm sure. We'll see. ;)

Doug, lots of good reference photos are in the works it sounds like. Hope your weather is nice for your little trip. :D

Nipper, Hope you and Nurse Beryl find a good car that will accommodate your needs and at a reasonable price. I do as Gail said when I take photos of my paintings. I put the painting on a low coffee table that gets lots of natural light through the window and shoot straight down at it. Maybe Nurse Beryl can help with that since it usually needs two hands. :crossfingers:

Henry, Hope they get everything figured out soon so they can help you feel better quickly. Getting older isn't for wimps, you know. ;) Your brother is an artist with his camera, even if he doesn't do photography as a professional, the quality of his work is up there with those who do. :thumbsup: The artistic genes are strong in your family for sure. :D

Lulu, Your DH sounds a lot like my DH! Staying physically active keeps them young, I think. :thumbsup: to turning 70! Yes, 70 is the new 50! at least for some people. :lol:

Darla, I think being in the arena for any sport is much more interesting and exciting than watching it on TV. Sorry your team lost, but at least it was a good game.

Gail, It sounds like you are healing up nicely. Do listen to your body and take those breaks (aka naps) whenever it tells you it needs one. ;)

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Maffet
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Good morning,

today is bright afternoon (last 3 days was very dark with heavy snow) :cat: .
Just only one more day at work and will be my loooooong weekend.

Yes! Last week I finaly signed new contract with my employer and that means that from this week I have only partial job.... and that means free friday! :clap:
Yes, I know I will loose some benefits, but my boss suprised me with money. They told me that they like my work and loyalty (I am with company long time) and so they want me add little money. They reworked my contract , so with new bonus, I am nearly on the same level like I was before if I would be working normal 5 days and not only 4. OH! I didnt expected that! Salute to my boss. :thumbsup: She is fair and I am happy!!!

Oh and I forgot! I had from xsmas my health is "up and down", so I tried to experiment to get more live food and vitamins. I begun with carrot and beetroot and ended with this. I still writing here so it means that this green madnes didnt kill me :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2013/8104-greendrink.jpg

Some of you probably have seen it on Facebook. :evil:

laudesan
02-20-2013, 09:41 AM
:wave: nite-nite

wcartistsr
02-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Good morning, all. Cold and overcast. Not sure what the day is supposed to bring.
Doug, sounds like a nice trip you have planned. Wonder what changes you will see after 40yrs?
Geoff H, sounds like you have some positives going for you with the decision to buy a WAV wheelchair assisted vehicle and your hospice doctor who is an expert on MND…ALS.
Henry, Glad you are on your way to solving your medical issues. Your brother’s photography is wonderful.
Uschi, your days are just full. Glad you are able to live such an active lifestyle now.
Gail, glad you are continuing to gather your strength back. I think your progress is amazing.
Jana, congratulations on your new work contract! What a nice boss you have. Enjoy your Fridays.
I have been sewing and painting. We got the chair cushions from the upholsterer and we love them. I made one of the pillows for the chair. Have another to go and the runner. Will have to take a picture when it is all done.
Working on a painting of a hibiscus, no the one in the studio challenge, but similar.
Hairdresser this pm. Guess I will sew this morning.
Have a great day.

Shirley

artmom
02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Hello, friends :)

Best wishes to all, but particularly those facing life's hurdles.

Saw heart consultant yesterday. Atrial fibrillation is active again, so the cardioversion only worked for about 3 months. At least pulse is slower. However, I have heavy fluid gain and am worn out all the time. Oxygen saturation still huge problem. Another new med added to my long list!:eek:

Lyn

Yorky
02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
:grouphug: Lyn :grouphug: Hope they can get things under control.

Doug

happhoto
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Good morning Washerbuds!!

Cold and grey here in the Great Northwet…and we may actually GET some wet today although it currently is just above freezing. Annie is still sleeping in her recliner but she is getting a much better night’s rest now and is feeling better throughout the day as well…perhaps she’ll try the bed again this weekend. I told her what ever works for her is fine with me.

Hope the “big service” goes well Geoff. :crossfingers: Will they give you a loaner car while they work on yours? Here it takes all day to get it done. Good luck on getting to sleep in till 0800!

LuLu, Happy Birthday to John!:clap: Sounds like a grand celebration, wish we could all be there as well!! Now THAT would be a crowd to notice!!

Doug, that does look like a magnificent area to visit! Take lots of photos and write a wonderful journal of each day to make us totally :envy: and hungry for more!!

Annie: painting YES!! Housework…perhaps! I know I have to do some housework before I can leave for the studio today…not happy about it but needs must! :(

Tonly! Good to see you posting again! How are things in The Fens?

Nipper Geoff…rough seas are such fun to watch…and such a pain to sail in! I’ve had to do it though and it’s MUCH more fun ashore on those days! I think Doug could give you some good advice on the WAV project. Good news that the Hospice Dr is a knowledgeable one on ALS, perhaps it will make him listen “more accurately”.

Henry, good luck with all the tests and probings…no fun :eek: at all! Hope that the injections do the trick and you get better than ever!:thumbsup: Met a fellow submariner who had also sailed out of Holy Loch so had a nice chat with him about the area..fond memories!! Love fish and chips…I may go out for some today..not nearly as good as yours though!

Philippe Just finished Breakfast here…will think about lunch later!!

Oh Henry!! :rolleyes:

Uschi…I looked and could not find our scrabble set…I will buy a new one so the old one will “show up”! Looks like YOUR day is already filled up!!

Gail, sounds like you are doing all the wise things in the wise way…not too fast and listening to your body! Enjoy the nap!!:thumbsup:

Darla I usually stay up till 11pm or later…and get up at 0530…Anne on the other hand, goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 and sleeps till 0600 when she HAS to get up…otherwise she’d sleep till 0900 or so! Spring Training has started so the only sport I’m thinking about is the OTHER BBall…BASEBALL!!

Char, Don’t let the workshops wear you out, keep it at a fun (for you) level!! When I retired my motto became “If it’s not FUN, I’m not interested”!

Sylvia! Here’s a tip by a local (to me) artist on how to get the veins on orchids (or other flowers) done very nicely! http://susieshort.net/watercolor-tips-veins1.html I may go to the local conservatory and take some orchid photos today and try it myself!

Jana! So good to see you posting! We do miss you, you know! Happy that you’re able to take a bit more time for YOUR art by working one less day a week on other projects!! And VERY happy that your boss realized how valuable your skills and talent are and rewarded you for them!! Hmmm…..green beer???:angel:

Sleep tight JJ, see you in the morning!!:wave:

Shirley…I want to paint a hibiscus too!!

Lyn…good to see you posting. Take care of yourself and know we do care!! :grouphug:

Well…the housework I have so studiously been avoiding is beginning to SHOUT at me:eek: …so I shall yield to the demands of a dirty kitchen and do my work. Then OFF to the studio!!!:D

hap

olliewood0702
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
(((LYN))) I think of you often and wonder how you are getting along. I'm sorry your irregular heart beat is back and that you have to take a new medication. I sure hope they can get you to feeling better real soon.:heart:

(((Char))) you sound like you just need a big HUG today.:grouphug: POST your cherries painting! I'm glad you have some time off now.

Shirley, I'm looking forward to seeing your hibiscus painting. Have fun sewing.

JANA:clap: I'm glad you are happy with your boss's arrangement and that she was fair to you.:thumbsup: THat green drink looks nasty...what's all in it? Asparagus? It's probably really good for you.

Sylvia, we need to go to the grocery store too. The cupboards are pretty bare. I think tonight we'll do that.

Hap, I''m ready for Tigers ball too! I like to sleep in on my weekends like Anne.

The clouds moved in and the wind is staying steady. I was wishing the sun would have stayed out.:confused:

I've been wondering about Nola lately; she must still be in the land of no internet(LONI)!:confused:

JudyL
02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi :wave:
The Memorial for my sister was really lovely. They have built a gabezo at the
cemetery and they had chairs out, and flowers were lovely. There was one prayer, and anyone who wanted to come up and speak were welcome, which made it really nice. We (me) cried and laughed, the stories were wonderful, my lawyer son talked and was quite emotional. He became a lawyer because of my sister, we all went to SF to see her get her degree. There was a lot of humor as well which was a relief, as I could not speak at all when we got there. There was a good lunch at the LDS church with food from our long time favorite Mexican restaurant. We used to have Thanksgiving in Gridley when my grandparents were still with us. Now the most senior member is a 91 year old aunt, who hails from Canada. (and famous for her butter tarts!)

My Daughter-in-Law, told me her mother would like me to paint a picture of her house ( I did one for my son and his wife years ago) I was surprised and honored, but she will have to send me a photo, I have not seen her house.

Maffet
02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Oh, I am sorry I forgot to write what is in green drink,
it Spinach, celery, matcha (green tea powder), green apple, few drops of lemon and stevia sirup ..... very green combination (but maybe without matcha it would be better and more fresh) :D

enjoy it ... I survived that. But my kitchen than looked like after massacre of green dwarfs. :-)

LynnM
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
:wave:Good day all! Bright and cold, little flurries of snow whipping by the window in the sun, very strange! I need to shop, hope it isn't too cold.

:lol: Jana, the green massacre. Good for you, working on your health that way, I am doing the same thing, feel much better, I hope it works for you.

Doug, that is one of my favourite areas of England. The first time I was on my own there I rented a car in Worcester for a week and drove that way, heading for Cornwall but never got there, too many interesting things on the way.....many good memories! Unfortunately it is all on slides, and although I still have them, a lot of work to get them scanned. Will be very interested in any sketches and photos you do.

Nice to see you in, Lyn, I hope they can get you more comfortable :heart:

JJ, I'm working on a remake of a friend's communion/wedding dress.....and at 60 she can still wear it!!! But it is the wrong style for our dances, so we are using the skirt, and I will chop up the bodice for trim on a different colour bodice. Fun challenge, but more time consuming that I thought :eek:

What are you sewing, Shirley? I'm looking forward to seeing your hibiscus.

Very nice mushroom painting, Sylvia.

That's good news, Henry, that they think your problem can be controlled, just a shame that it took so long to find it......a drawback of being an unique person :) Lovely photos the other day, thanks for posting them.

Great that you are healing so well, Gail!

Have a good rest today, Char, I don't know how you keep up that schedule :heart:

That's promising, Nipper, the equipped vehicle will improve your access to the world.....and I really like your painting posted, beautiful detail on those teasels.

Great news, Caryl, love those wide open spaces too!

Brain has shut down, time to get busy elsewhere, very late today.

Have a rewarding day :grouphug::heart::grouphug:

shipbroker
02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Hope the “big service” goes well Geoff. Will they give you a loaner car while they work on yours? Here it takes all day to get it done. Good luck on getting to sleep in till 0800

Hap...The service was done, but I need new rear brakes and a track rod which need ordering in......so my £500 may double!.........Yes I had a loan car, a Kia C'eed......very nippy....

Sleep, although I logged in at 0800 I had been up since 0530 and didn't want to wake Eileen!

geoff

Ellen in Ont
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
:wave: everyone,
A lazy day today. I guess I need it now and then.:rolleyes: I finally ordered my dress for the wedding. I have been looking since last summer. The dress I really wanted is no longer available so I had to order my second choice. At least that is one less thing to worry about. Now to look for shoes. :D

It has finally stopped snowing after getting about two feet. Now the wind is whipping it around. We have gotten our normal amount of snowfall this year but it is a bit of a shock after a few years of milder winters.

Lynn - I hope your atrial fib settles down once you can get rid of some of the excess fluid. Sometimes the extra volume of blood stretches the atrium making it irritable and prone to atrial fib. More meds are OK if they help.:heart:

Char - sounds like you can use a break from your classes. Maybe reduce the number of them if it is too hard.:heart:

I can't remember what else I was going to say so I better go and figure out supper. May your tomorrows always be better than your todays.

artmom
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks, friends!

I just get down sometimes -- especially each time the docs have trouble figuring out exactly what and why "stuff" is happening.

Lyn

happhoto
02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Face it Lyn...they find you fascinating and challenging, and captivating!!:thumbsup: And WE like your company too! :wink2:

painterbear
02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Face it Lyn...they find you fascinating and challenging, and captivating!!:thumbsup: And WE like your company too! :wink2:

Well said, Hap! Ditto, Lyn. Hope you feel better soon and get your spirits soaring again.

:grouphug:

Judy, Glad the memorial for your sister went so nicely and she was remembered by all who loved her.

:grouphug: for you too.

Sylvia

CharM
02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Darla... it's exactly what I needed... and I'll pass that ((hug)) along to Lyn who also seems to need one.

Ted and I had a nice afternoon... he dragged me with him and we ran errands in three different towns! :eek:

Awh, Judy... the proverbial butter tarts... we never have an occasion that they're not served up... How nice that your Sister's memorial was a celebration of her life! ((()))

:clap: Congratulation, Jana! Smart boss lady.

Lynn, I've seen so many of my peers *lose* themselves after retirement. They flounder without purpose and I'm determined to stay current and active. I do know I push too hard sometimes. :)

G'nite to All... :wave: