PDA

View Full Version : Oils on sawblades?

gcindy6
06-22-2001, 10:17 PM
Hi all! I'm new to this so hope I'm doing everything correctly. Anyway, if you can read this I must be o.k.
Although I have worked with acrylics, I am most comfortable with oil painting. Someone wants me to do their house on a sawblade. They are currently having the blade sanded & primed (I have no idea what kind of primer they will use). Then we are off to photograph the place & I can start painting. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or hints on painting on sawblades. And while I am picking brains, how about gourds? Just did a few of them (I used acrylics on these) & plan to varnish when finished. I'm trying to get a variety of things done before the fall festivals get here. I'm going to try & attend 3-4 of them this year. And I want to have things there that I can charge less for than canvases. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome! See ya'll later!

scottb
06-23-2001, 09:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken, one of our long-time WC members is a sawblade painter.

Here is a link to his homepage:

http://www.ltesthetic.com/main.htm

He has a few online tutorials as well.

Cheers.
Scott

paintfool
06-23-2001, 12:20 PM
Wow! Great site Scott! Thanks.
Cheryl

TPS
06-23-2001, 02:22 PM
:clap: If you'll be doing festivals, keep in mind that many will not allow several media or types of items in one booth; such as you describe. Be sure to check on their rules before applying or sending money.

paintfool
06-23-2001, 04:40 PM
Good point David. I'm going to share this thread with the Tole and Decorative forum because they may know about this type of thing. :) Cindy, look for your topic there too.
Cheryl

gcindy6
06-23-2001, 06:29 PM
Scott
Thanks for the tip... truly a fantastic site & just what I needed, it looks like! Going back there to read it all, but after a glance I just had to thank you!

Cheryl
Thanks for the help...and I'll be checking out the tole/deco forum, too!

David
Wow, never would've thought of that! I've only done one festival before, though I've done it twice...it's the local "Cow Days' here in Greensburg, Kentucky. But there's one in every county around that time of year, so I'm going to check out the rules closely now!

And all of you,
Thanks for making me feel welcome! I'm kinda shy (trying to get over it!) & just posting questions makes me nervous, but you all are awfully nice. I really appreciate it.

paintfool
06-24-2001, 12:17 PM
Awww you're welcome Cindy! And welcome to WC! This is a great place. I'm glad you're enjoying the tole and decorative painting forum. Lots of fun here! Ask anything that you wish. Someone is likley to have the answer.
Cheryl

tammy
06-26-2001, 11:12 PM
Hello again, Cindy
Here is a photo of one of my sawblades as we discussed in e-mail.
Also, if you may be near where you can get sea shells, some people also paint on those.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2001/catblade.jpg

gcindy6
06-27-2001, 10:05 AM
Meow! Thanks, Tammy! You know seashells are a good thought, though here in the middle of Kentucky large rocks seem to be the thing. Honestly, though, the sawblades & the gourds that I am working on are not really my focus. I just thought that some smaller (cheaper) items might encourage sales for those who aren't in the market for an oil painting. That is my love! I am again working on more of the historical buildings in our town, as well as some landscapes. I must say though that I am at a loss to find a market for what I do! I get lots of compliments and lots of promises of calls to come, then NOTHING! So, we'll see how the sawblades/gourds go...I've checked the rules here, nothing regarding only one medium, I just have to let them know beforehand what all I will display...if those sell, I'll know to keep expanding my exhibits! Well, it's all a great big learning experience, that's for sure!

ausiland
08-19-2001, 01:05 PM
I have a friend that does all her saw blades in oils. The only suggestion I would make would be to find out what they used to seal it with. If you can't, I would gesso it before I painted it. I think I would do this anyway.

Re gourds; As long as they were completely dry & you sealed them first, they should be fine. I have done several for halloween and Christmas and they have held up well.

Good Luck: If it doesn't move, paint it!

kptad2
08-21-2001, 07:11 PM
i stain gourds .. and make cut little bird house out of them :D
i think you can use anything on them .